remthewanderer

What to buy for the Marine soon to be deployed?

My cousin is getting promoted to 1st LT in the marine corps and getting deployed this summer. His family is having a BBQ in his honor. The invite says, "no gifts please" but come on... There has got to be something this marine could use while deployed.

Short of lending him my Glock, what would you get for a soon to be deployed marine?

My cousin is getting promoted to 1st LT in the marine core and getting deployed this summer. His family is having a BBQ in his honor. The invite says, "no gifts please" but come on... There has got to be something this marine could use while deployed.

Short of lending him my Glock, what would you get for a soon to be deployed marine?

A whole boatload of Magpul 30 round magazines with Ranger plates.

My cousin is getting promoted to 1st LT in the marine corps and getting deployed this summer. His family is having a BBQ in his honor. The invite says, "no gifts please" but come on... There has got to be something this marine could use while deployed.

A weekend at the Bunny Ranch :lol:

My brother in law has been to Iraq 3 times, we always sent baby wipes and any type of powder drink mixes (nasty water there). Oh, and a belt like 3 sizes smaller than he is now, the heat made him loose weight like crazy, and he was skinny to begin with..

How about this...

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-G100-1BV-G- ... B000AR7S3A

rugged, yet inexpensive. Dual time zone so he can keep track of the time back in the world. Heard nothing but good about G-shocks.

Oh yeah, and some Baby wipes.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Whatever you do, don't send baby wipes in a jug. There is no point. Go for the packs that can fit in the leg pocket of the uniform. A jug is kept in the living quarters and these days there are showers for them. Wipes in the pocket are golden when you run into the porta john to blow your tanks and you find the toilet paper gone.

One other thing, Baby wipes are great but when I was there the shortage of Gillette Mach 3 razor blades was considered almost an emergency, not to mention dam epensive when they were in. Send a few a month.

The best thing sent to me (that's right, sent, because anything else is just something else to pack) was a coffee press and a hot water heater like you might see in a college dorm. Fill with coffee and hot water, press out the coffee and pour out into a cup. Far easier to deal with then a percolator or a drip coffee maker.

Does he smoke? I got a great windproof lighter insert that goes into a zippo, replacing the wick and flint gizmo. That was great. He can get fluid there.

Best thing given to me was a flash drive full of family pictures.

Ah crap, the MUT isn't available until September. But, I will just modify my recommendation slightly. I think a high quality Leatherman brand multitool is actually the perfect gift. The last one I got was the Skeletool CX, which is great, and also light.

Ah crap, the MUT isn't available until September. But, I will just modify my recommendation slightly. I think a high quality Leatherman brand multitool is actually the perfect gift. The last one I got was the Skeletool CX, which is great, and also light.

I was looking for the price, I want that thing badly!

+1 on the baby wipes.

+1 on the Leatherman (I like the Super Leatherman).

Sewing kit.

A pack of Sharpies.

A good pair of tweezers.

Super glue

Several good .5mm mechanical pencils with lots of extra lead.

Q-tips

Shaving soap (the old fashioned bar kind)

Mach 3 razors

Tactical flashlight with extra batteries.

Rolls of clear adhesive shelf paper (it's actually cloudy, but turns clear when applied. This is used to "laminate" things like maps)

A set of good alcohol based markers and a set of good water based markers (high end arts and crafts store).

Rubbing alcohol (poor 1/4 out, squeeze 1/2 the air out and put the cap back on tight, then put in a ziplock bag).

Knife sharpening stone

A roll of toilet paper

Dental floss

A small mirror

Toothbrush

Athlete's foot cream

Antibiotic ointment

Master combination padlock

Put anything that can leak or has an odor in ziplock bags.

Whatever you get, put it all in an ammo can. If it wont fit, ship it later.