mikeyboyeee

Who can pin/weld a muzzle break in Central NJ area?

Mike:

I'm sure there is somebody in NJ that can do it, but the two, non-NJ ones, that I hear most often are ADCO Firearms...

http://www.adcofirearms.com/shopservice ... fm?code=25

Their turnaround time is supposed to be pretty decent. All you have to do is ship them your upper, so there are no constraints. If you are buying your M&P and having it shipped to you, have it shipped directly to ADCO instead.

As a somewhat local alternative - at least one you can drive to - there is Donley's in Quakertown, PA. I'd call and check about turnaround time first...

http://www.gunrunner1000.com/

I'm sure someone will be along with a more local alternative, but these two do a lot of this kind of work.

HTH

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I just had work done at ADCO. Turn around was less than a week.

I'd strongly suggest you have the rifle shipped straight there. I don't know if your FFL will even be willing to transfer a complete AR to you with a flash hider on.

ADCO is good, I used them myself. However, in-state-- and a forum vendor, last I heard, PK90 does this type of work... and did a pretty good job from what I saw.

You used ADCO for your new M&P?

Nah, I used ADCO for my BCM upper I got a few months back. Had I asked and known about PK90, I would've probably inquired into his services. Not that ADCO wasn't great (turn-around time was super quick, and was relatively cheap-- plus they already had all the parts [aka the muzzle device I wanted], so I didn't need to do anything except specify. Communication and customer service is also top notch-- as you pretty much are in direct contact with Steve the whole time); but PK90 is somewhat local (south Jersey), and I'm always more then willing to give my business to local and a forum vendor.

I did have an M&P15 originally though... ha. Mine was the ORC model, which is already NJ compliant (crowned muzzle, pinned stock, no bayo lug)-- traded it around the same time I got my new upper (still use the SW lower).

I'm not sure if threaded barrels are allowed on rifles in NJ. An FFL and/or smith should probably comment on that.

From the consumer perspective, I think it would be best to put something on the end. It protects the threads (if you do decide to put on a muzzle device eventually), and by having a device there, it directly protects the crown of the barrel (which is not a huge concern, but is something to note).

I would want to get clarification on that first part. I've been under the impression that threaded barrels were not allowed on rifles, but it could just be another NJ gun law myth.

ETA: Adding a muzzle device, like a brake, also helps a lot with the operator handling of the rifle as well. There is a significant difference between shooting with a brake and not shooting with one (both good and bad).

I am really hoping to just remove what's on it now and deal with the brake at another time.

Can't quote chapter and verse, but like bbk, I think threaded barrels are a "no, no" on a semi-auto rifle with other evil features. That is why I suggested drop shipping to ADCO - or Paul. You would never be in possession of a prohibited weapon that way. Also, as was pointed out, doubtful that your receiving FFL would transfer it to you in a non-NJ compliant condition - if they're smart.

Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

You can't just take the device off. AFAIK threaded barrel on an AR is not NJ legal. Either a crowned barrel or barrel with permanently attached muzzle brake/compensator only.

You probably have to get that fixed before the FFL will even transfer the rifle to you.

When it gets to your FFL, pull off the upper and have him ship it to ADCO or PK90 for the muzzle brake. Does the M&P you ordered have a pinned stock already? If not, you will have to address that as well.

ETA: If the gun hasn't shipped already, you may want to contact CDDN and see if they'll send it to ADCO who can then send it to your FFL. May save you a bit of time and headaches.

I'm not sure if threaded barrels are allowed on rifles in NJ. An FFL and/or smith should probably comment on that.

From the consumer perspective, I think it would be best to put something on the end. It protects the threads (if you do decide to put on a muzzle device eventually), and by having a device there, it directly protects the crown of the barrel (which is not a huge concern, but is something to note).

I would want to get clarification on that first part. I've been under the impression that threaded barrels were not allowed on rifles, but it could just be another NJ gun law myth.

ETA: Adding a muzzle device, like a brake, also helps a lot with the operator handling of the rifle as well. There is a significant difference between shooting with a brake and not shooting with one (both good and bad).

Threaded barrels are allowed on rifles in NJ but not on an AR15 type rifle b/c it has other "evil features" on it like a detachable magazine and pistol grip. If you bought a precision sniper bolt action rifle for instance then you would be allowed to have a threaded barrel b/c it has less then two "evil features".

Threaded barrels are allowed on rifles in NJ but not on an AR15 type rifle b/c it has other "evil features" on it like a detachable magazine and pistol grip. If you bought a precision sniper bolt action rifle for instance then you would be allowed to have a threaded barrel b/c it has less then two "evil features".

"Evil Features" ONLY APPLY TO SEMI-AUTOMATIC RIFLES you can have all the "Evil Features" you want on anything else.

"Evil Features" ONLY APPLY TO SEMI-AUTOMATIC RIFLES you can have all the "Evil Features" you want on anything else.

In my original post, "rifle" should have been replaced with AR variant as that was my intention (considering we're talking about rifles in the AR variant subforum), my mistake.

And not to threadjack completely, but who else pins stocks? I've considered it, but never knew who could.