dajonga

Kinda bought a gun

So, I am in week 18 of waiting for my initial FID and 6 handgun permits. The delay has given me a lot of time to shop around and research what I want. A little background... I was saving up to buy a .22 and a 9mm with my 2 handgun permits. Then, Dad says he is giving me uncle bob's Beretta 92fs (and a Marlin 39a) and my Father-in-law is giving me a High Standard Duramatic. After learning of my freebies, I upped the handgun permit count to 6 (gotta spend that money on something, right?), leaving me with 4 handgun permits to play with. I thought I might like to get a revolver or 2. Originally, I thought of a used .38 spl. Then I got to fondling and reading. I was torn between a new Ruger Blackhawk .357 Convertible or a double action .357, like a used S&W 66 or new Ruger GP. My budget was $600 or so. I like the idea of a multiple caliber gun, but was probably not gonna shoot a whole lot of 357, mostly 38.

Tonight, I stopped by Shore Shot on my way home to look at a used S&W 66 again. Very lovely gun for $475. BA has one, too, for about the same price, Decisions, decisions...

And then, I saw it. A S&W Model 10. 4" barrel. Hogue grips. Decent shape, tight cylinder, good timing and trigger. For some reason, I kept coming back to it. Yeah....a nice, simple, cheap, no-frills .38, perfect for a beginner.

Shore Shot let me pay for it whilst I wait for my paperwork to come in (Very much appreciated! Thanks, guys).

Total price, complete with NICS and tax, was $144. I have spent more than that buying beer. I can't wait to shoot it. I may go rent SS's Model 10 just to see how one feels.

I do not know much about revolvers, but I cannot imagine I will regret this buy. I may have to put a deposit on that used Ruger Single Six I saw down south last week also. It is missing the .22 Mag cyl, but the price was only $200. Or the Old Model Blackhawk .357 for $450. I think I kinda like buying used guns.

Is this how the sickness starts?

Thanks for letting me rant.

lol. this is just a cold. =) :icon_e_biggrin:

the sickness begins when you find what you want to collect, mosins, mausers, colts, smiths, rugers.... or just anything israeli. take your pick.

Sig's, HK's...

Congrats on the purchase.

Thanks guys.

I will post a pic and a range report when she comes home. Last reference was sent in last week, so it should not be too much longer.

Now I need to decide which gun to bring home first. This one gun a month thing is stinky. The high standard was offered first, but the beretta is so nice. I guess I should liberate the Smith from Shore Shot. Placed my first Cabela's order last night to celebrate. 150 rounds each of 9mm and .38 from different makers.

I think the High Standard needs to be fed standard velocity ammo only. Any recommendations?

Total price, complete with NICS and tax, was $144. I have spent more than that buying beer. I can't wait to shoot it. I may go rent SS's Model 10 just to see how one feels.

FYI - you only need a handgun permit to transfer the gun into your name. You should be able to shoot it at the range all you want providing you leave the gun there.

FYI - you only need a handgun permit to transfer the gun into your name. You should be able to shoot it at the range all you want providing you leave the gun there.

Wait, wait, wait...

Are you saying I should be able to pay for a gun at BH with no permits, and then leave it there with them for my use whenever I go? (Assuming they are willing to do this).

That would totally beat waiting for those permits.

Wait, wait, wait...

Are you saying I should be able to pay for a gun at BH with no permits, and then leave it there with them for my use whenever I go? (Assuming they are willing to do this).

That would totally beat waiting for those permits.

Yes, but you need to remember that a gun store is in the business of selling guns, not storing them. :icon_e_wink:

.... A S&W Model 10. 4" barrel. Hogue grips. Decent shape, tight cylinder, good timing and trigger. ....Total price, complete with NICS and tax, was $144.

Just out of curiosity, is it a Heavy Barrel (HB) or the "pencil" barrel? Either way you got one hell of a deal.

Beware, the S&W sickness is just as contagious as the Signess, it's just that it usually only effects us "older" folk.

Congrats on a great purchase.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

i bet you keep that Model 10 for ever. They just seem to hang around. Great all around little gun and dont let anyone sneeze at the .38sp. You get yourself a box of corbon +p 125gr JHP for self defense and see what that little .38 can do. It is a good all aroud handgun, small game running, varmint protection, hunting/trapping sidearm, HD for the famiy.

Good choice. You also saved $400 from maybe any other brand name autoloader, you can spend all that savings on range time and ammo. Get to work the trigger alot. A sensible, intelligent purchase.

Plus S&Ws have a way of getting into your mind and then they start reproducing it seems. My Model 14 and Model 19 are thinging of creating a 29 or 51.

You get yourself a box of corbon +p 125gr JHP for self defense and see what that little .38 can do.

Just make sure it can handle +P ammo. Give them a call and have the serial number in hand, see what they say. Still, Hornady makes a nice standard pressure 38 HD load in the Critical defense line. I use that load in my snubbies, and it's a joy to shoot.

Yes, but you need to remember that a gun store is in the business of selling guns, not storing them. :icon_e_wink:

You know that's actually a really good idea (until NJ gets its no-ccw laws destroyed). I should get a "range gun" and pay the range a nominal fee (or no fee?) to store it for me. I benefit because I can go there straight from work, and they benefit because I will come more often and pay them to use the range.

Pizza Bob. It is a heavy barrel. I want to know its vintage, but I did not jot down the serial number (duh). Or is that only on the bottom of the grips, covered by the Hogues? I think if I saw a bunch of numbers I woulda jotted them down.

Axeman and Ray ray...I will probably stick with standard 38 loads for the time being.

As to the "range gun" kept at a range...years ago I mentioned to a friend (and very experienced competitive shooter) that a keep-at-the-range gun would be cool. No need to store it at home or drive it around in a car and it would always be available to use anytime you drive by the range with a few minutes to kill.

He thought it sounded like a nightmare. Why? He said that because this is NJ, the politicians could somehow make that the only way to own a handgun. He thought there could be a way for the gun control fanatics to make it illegal to keep a handgun at home. An interesting arguement.

Pizza Bob. It is a heavy barrel. I want to know its vintage, but I did not jot down the serial number (duh). Or is that only on the bottom of the grips, covered by the Hogues? I think if I saw a bunch of numbers I woulda jotted them down.

Depends on the vintage, but if it designated "Model 10-X" under the crane, then the serial number will be there too. Get me the number and I can give you a year of production. Again, great gun (love the HB versions) and a GREAT price.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I recently acquired my Dad's S&W .38 Model 10-3 NYPD Service revolver that he put on a closet shelf 30 years ago. I gave it a good cleaning and took it to the range for the first time Wednesday, and I'll tell ya, this gun shoots like a dream. Very little recoil. First 6 shots were in the bulls eye at 7 yards.

Of course this gun is special to me knowing that my Dad wore it on his hip for 20 years. Before getting it, I felt that it would only be a keepsake not a range or home defense gun. But, after shooting it I ordered more ammo and will bring it to the range on a regular basis. My 3 guns are all semi autos, but really, there's a lot to be said for revolvers. I'm fairly confident that my next handgun purchase will be a revolver.

Congrats on your purchase and enjoy this fine piece of weaponry.

He thought it sounded like a nightmare. Why? He said that because this is NJ, the politicians could somehow make that the only way to own a handgun. He thought there could be a way for the gun control fanatics to make it illegal to keep a handgun at home. An interesting arguement.

Why would you tell a politician that you are storing your gun (one of the 200 that you own :icon_mrgreen: ) at the range?

I think my friends point was if the practice of range stored guns became widespread in NJ, a clever gun control type might try to pass a law saying that NJ civilians can own handguns, but they must be kept and used at a state approved facility.

I think it is unlikely to ever happen, but it makes for an interesting discussion.

So, I am in week 18 of waiting for my initial FID and 6 handgun permits. The delay has given me a lot of time to shop around and research what I want. A little background... I was saving up to buy a .22 and a 9mm with my 2 handgun permits. Then, Dad says he is giving me uncle bob's Beretta 92fs (and a Marlin 39a) and my Father-in-law is giving me a High Standard Duramatic. After learning of my freebies, I upped the handgun permit count to 6 (gotta spend that money on something, right?), leaving me with 4 handgun permits to play with. I thought I might like to get a revolver or 2. Originally, I thought of a used .38 spl. Then I got to fondling and reading. I was torn between a new Ruger Blackhawk .357 Convertible or a double action .357, like a used S&W 66 or new Ruger GP. My budget was $600 or so. I like the idea of a multiple caliber gun, but was probably not gonna shoot a whole lot of 357, mostly 38.

Tonight, I stopped by Shore Shot on my way home to look at a used S&W 66 again. Very lovely gun for $475. BA has one, too, for about the same price, Decisions, decisions...

And then, I saw it. A S&W Model 10. 4" barrel. Hogue grips. Decent shape, tight cylinder, good timing and trigger. For some reason, I kept coming back to it. Yeah....a nice, simple, cheap, no-frills .38, perfect for a beginner.

Shore Shot let me pay for it whilst I wait for my paperwork to come in (Very much appreciated! Thanks, guys).

I do not know much about revolvers, but I cannot imagine I will regret this buy. I may have to put a deposit on that used Ruger Single Six I saw down south last week also. It is missing the .22 Mag cyl, but the price was only $200. Or the Old Model Blackhawk .357 for $450. I think I kinda like buying used guns.

Is this how the sickness starts?

Thanks for letting me rant.

I inherited a mid 70's model 10 4" heavy barrel this summer. It is a sweet revolver. The trigger pull is a little heavy in double action, but I really like this gun. It's in excellent condition. Congrats!

I think my friends point was if the practice of range stored guns became widespread in NJ, a clever gun control type might try to pass a law saying that NJ civilians can own handguns, but they must be kept and used at a state approved facility.

I think it is unlikely to ever happen, but it makes for an interesting discussion.

Be careful. This is the way it is in Australia, except for long guns since, if i remember correctly, they're not allowed to own handguns there.

Don't say it can't ever happen. Better to not even give anyone the idea.

Be careful. This is the way it is in Australia, except for long guns since, if i remember correctly, they're not allowed to own handguns there.

Don't say it can't ever happen. Better to not even give anyone the idea.

As long as our 2A remains as it is, it won't happen (especially in light of the recent events). If it ever should change for the worse, not storing guns at the range now will not make any difference at that point, cuz they will be (trying) to take away your guns anyway.

The $125 gun comes home.

After 4 1/2 months, I am now legal. I took my first p2p up to Shore Shot to liberate my first gun purchase ever. I have attached a photo. It is a Model 10-8, serial Number F23 12xxx. Have yet to shoot it. I will try to make it to the range next week for my first session.

A question. On the pink copy of my p2p, I noticed that the caliber is marked wrong. I was kinda overwhelmed by the whole event and failed to notice it until I got home. The salesman marked it as a 22, not a 38. Also, he left the "F23" off of the serial number.

Are these errors going to cause problems?

post-2278-009130800 1285983941_thumb.jpg

I got the paper work fixed today with no problems. Bought a membership to SS and shot 50 rounds. Single action shooting was fine, but double action would bind or lock up (my shooting lingo is limited). I would have to release trigger pressure and try again. It would skip that round and move on to the next one. I will shoot it again this week with another brand of ammo before talking to them about it. I feel kinda funny about complaining about a $125 gun, but if they are going to sell it, it should work properly.

As for the shooting... I need practice. My 5 and 7 yard groups were OK (by my newb standards anyway) but 10 yards was kinda all over, probably due to the jitters of my first time shooting alone at a range with my first gun. I was able to keep most of the shots in the head area of the badguy target at 10 yards. I might have nicked an ear. I did not even try for more than 10 yards. This being a cop gun, super accuracy at more than 10 yards was probaly never it's main mission.

It was my first time shooting a revolver. I did not expect the ring of fire from the cyclinder/cone area, but I guess it makes sense. Normal, right?

I liked the simplicity of the revolver, from loading to shooting to ejecting spent casings, with no levers or buttons to learn (nothing against levers and buttons. On Nov 1th, I take possesion of a Beretta 92fs). I may, however, reconsider the single action Ruger I was thinking about getting. The extractor rod process on the Single Six may be a bit too tedious.

I appreciate all the feedback you folks have given me. Thanks.