xxcamelxxtosisxx

moving from wi to nj

Hi.I am moving to nj soon. I am from wisconsin and have lived here all my life, I have always had guns in my home and never needed to worry about registration of any of them. I own a couple rifles, shotgun and pistol. Your laws seem to be EXTREMELY different then what I am accustom to. A few questions about the laws.

1. can i bring my firearms into your state for storage purposes only, without paper work ?

2. i believe i have a possesion charge in wi (currently looking into this), will this effect my ability to keep my weapons in nj ?

3. if i remove the firing pins from the weapons will that change anything as far as laws ?

4. I was told you can hunt only with muzzle loader or shotgun. is this true ?

5. what are the laws on compound bows?

I will be in nj for about 7 years before i move to arizona i have been a hunter for many years and i seriously fear i won't even be able to bring a weapon with me let alone hunt.

I can answer some of these. Any detachable magazines need to be blocked to 15 rounds max. Hunting is with Muzzleloader or Shotgun only unless you're varmit hunting. For varmits you can use small calibers, I believe. .22/.17 etc. Compound bows are allowed.

If you legally own the guns prior to moving to NJ, AND they're NJ compliant firearms, you just bring them with you. No paperwork required. There is no mandatory registration process for firearms that are already owned.

If you intend to shoot them at a range, you'll probably need to apply for a FPID, since it seems that new guidelines require virtually any ammo purchase in NJ to be logged with your card number. You may however order ammo online legally, or drive to Walmart in America PA to purchase ammo and legally bring it back with you.

Hi.I am moving to nj soon. I am from wisconsin and have lived here all my life, I have always had guns in my home and never needed to worry about registration of any of them. I own a couple rifles, shotgun and pistol. Your laws seem to be EXTREMELY different then what I am accustom to. A few questions about the laws.

1. can i bring my firearms into your state for storage purposes only, without paper work ?

2. i believe i have a possesion charge in wi (currently looking into this), will this effect my ability to keep my weapons in nj ?

3. if i remove the firing pins from the weapons will that change anything as far as laws ?

I will be in nj for about 7 years before i move to arizona i have been a hunter for many years and i seriously fear i won't even be able to bring a weapon with me let alone hunt.

Saw your post over on PAFOA also. Some misinformation there - not saying this will be any better - NJ tends to leave a lot of "wiggle-room" in the writing and interpretation of their firearms laws.

1) You can just bring your guns with you (providing they are NJ compliant) - there is no registration in NJ

2) IANAL - but depending on the degree of the offense, this may preclude you from owning guns, period! Will definitely have an effect on getting an FPID

3) No, you still have constructive possession

4) Except in the case of varmints which can be hunted with a rifle - but it would seem that you have more immediate problems.

5) Don't know if there even are any laws regarding Bows

PA is a great state for hunting and their non-resident license is not all that expensive (all thing considered). However, the SE corner of PA is a shotgun only zone - keep that in mind.

I'd worry about #2 and make sure that is cleared-up before I'd even think about bringing any weapons into this state. JMHO, hope you hear from others that are more schooled in the law than me.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Sorry, I missed the caveat.

If your issue is one that would keep you from legally owning firearms in NJ, you need to address that prior to bringing any guns in with you.

If you legally own the guns prior to moving to NJ, AND they're NJ compliant firearms, you just bring them with you. No paperwork required. There is no mandatory registration process for firearms that are already owned.

If you intend to shoot them at a range, you'll probably need to apply for a FPID, since it seems that new guidelines require virtually any ammo purchase in NJ to be logged with your card number. You may however order ammo online legally, or drive to Walmart in America PA to purchase ammo and legally bring it back with you.

I would just like to clarify something. A firearms PURCHASER ID is not required to own guns in NJ. It is not required to hunt or target shoot. It is not required for taking your gun to a gunsmith or to a business that you own. A firearms PURCHASER ID is required to PURCHASE long rifles and any ammunition that can be fired in a handgun. Purchasing ammunition online is legal for shipment into NJ.

To echo Ken here, If your firearms were purchased legally in a different state, there is nothing you need to do but follow the laws regarding transport when you bring your guns to NJ AND the guns must be NJ legal. There is no pre-ban, or post ban, there is banned or not banned. Magazine capacities of no more than 15 for semi-automatics rifles or handguns or 6 rounds for semi-auto shotguns.

There are "evil feature" requirements for semi-automatic rifles so if you have a question, post the specific gun and you'll get an answer.

I would encourage you to get a firearms PURCHASER ID, but if you have current ongoing legal issues, you need to get that straightened out first.

Sorry, I missed the caveat.

If your issue is one that would keep you from legally owning firearms in NJ, you need to address that prior to bringing any guns in with you.

If his issue prevents him from legally owning firearms in NJ, it probably will prevent him from owning firearms anywhere. There are probably some issues that would make you a prohibited person in NJ that wouldn't apply elsewhere, but they would only come to light during a background check.

So that begs the question, if a person was denied a purchaser ID, does that make them a prohibited person? I'm not entirely sure the two mean the same thing. A police chief could refuse a FPID "not in the public's best interest" but the person had no otherwise prohibited activities in his record. Maybe the person was a serial speeder, call him Larry Leadfoot. The chief may not like Larry and not sign his FPID, but that doesn't mean he can come and seize all his guns.

thanks for the help guys, I have contacted a lawyer in nj and will let them assist me in my adventures of nj gun ownership.......perhaps i will just stay in wisconsin.

Wisconsin State Constitution

Article I Section 25

The people have the right

to keep and bear arms for...

Security

Defense

Hunting

Recreation

or any other lawful purpose.

“If you want to carry a gun in Wisconsin,

wear it on your hip.”

-Governor James Doyle

“Arms in the hands of citizens may be used at

individual discretion in private self defense”

-John Adams

“Laws that forbid the carrying of

arms disarm only those who are

neither inclined nor determined to

commit crimes.”

-Thomas Jefferson

I can answer some of these. Any detachable magazines need to be blocked to 15 rounds max. Hunting is with Muzzleloader or Shotgun only unless you're varmit hunting. For varmits you can use small calibers, I believe. .22/.17 etc. Compound bows are allowed.

Anything over 15 rounds that can be fed into a semi auto, detachable or not, is illegal.

.......perhaps i will just stay in wisconsin.

+1

What compels you to move to NJ? Some of us a dying to get out of this state ... you could live in PA just across the border and travel to NJ (for whatever reason). It's less expensive and has cleaner air too (except Philly and surroundings)!

+1

What compels you to move to NJ? Some of us a dying to get out of this state ... you could live in PA just across the border and travel to NJ (for whatever reason). It's less expensive and has cleaner air too (except Philly and surroundings)!

my fiance lives in nj. she has childern that keep her from moving at the present. we do intend on moving to arizona (1 of 3 states allowed ccw without permit) when her kids are of age but that is nearly 7 years :(

my fiance lives in nj. she has childern that keep her from moving at the present. we do intend on moving to arizona (1 of 3 states allowed ccw without permit) when her kids are of age but that is nearly 7 years :(

I'm in the same position. I can't leave my daughter until she goes away to college. We plan on being close to where she goes, in fact almost all of my family will be moving. Trying for the 7 year plan, hope it happens by 8.

Eh, we are making progress. If people put as much work into changing things as much as pitty parties, we would be in a better position. =)

Although I will say, I am very much excited in the trend of where things are going in regards to Firearms laws in the garden state.

NJ2as.com join if you havent already.

Just wanted to give some more info on #4 and #5.

4: One needs a valid rifle permit and can only hunt rifle-wise with a muzzleloader for coyote, deer, squirrel and woodchucks. Raccoons and opossum are the only animals that can be "hunted" with a .22 caliber rifle. Licensed trappers in possession of a valid rifle permit may carry a .22 caliber rifle, and use only .22 caliber short rimfire cartridges to kill legally trapped animals. A shotgun can be used for everything.

5: There are no laws restricting compound or long bows in NJ except for the hunting distance from occupied buildings and playgrounds. The minimum distance from an occupied building where a bowhunter may have a nocked arrow is as of this year reduced from 450 feet to 150 feet. Carrying a bow with a nocked arrow within 150 feet of an occupied building or 450 feet of any school playground is prohibited. Crossbows can now also be used as of last year. Crossbows must have a draw weight of at least 75 pounds.

Welcome to NJ. Good luck with the transition.

ok so I talked with a lawyer in nj. As far as the possesion charge is concerned it was under 15grams so it "should" have 0 effect on my rights in your state. The lawyer was willing to help in the process of filling out paper work at a cost of $1000.00 and came with no warranty. If i was denied he would help with the second attempt at an additional charge....so charge me a thousand dollars to do what i can do on my own with no warranty that his assistance would be of any help what so ever. The check is in the mail....not

ok so I talked with a lawyer in nj. As far as the possesion charge is concerned it was under 15grams so it "should" have 0 effect on my rights in your state. The lawyer was willing to help in the process of filling out paper work at a cost of $1000.00 and came with no warranty. If i was denied he would help with the second attempt at an additional charge....so charge me a thousand dollars to do what i can do on my own with no warranty that his assistance would be of any help what so ever. The check is in the mail....not

There was a thread recently that mentioned the process for running your own background check on yourself. It may be a good idea to look back through the last week of posts for the details.

I don't know if you have to be a resident of the state in which the check is being run, or any of the other requirements, but in your case, it may be a good idea to look into it a bit further.

K

Just wanted to give some more info on #4 and #5.

4: One needs a valid rifle permit and can only hunt rifle-wise with a muzzleloader for coyote, deer, squirrel and woodchucks. Raccoons and opossum are the only animals that can be "hunted" with a .22 caliber rifle. Licensed trappers in possession of a valid rifle permit may carry a .22 caliber rifle, and use only .22 caliber short rimfire cartridges to kill legally trapped animals. A shotgun can be used for everything.

5: There are no laws restricting compound or long bows in NJ except for the hunting distance from occupied buildings and playgrounds. The minimum distance from an occupied building where a bowhunter may have a nocked arrow is as of this year reduced from 450 feet to 150 feet. Carrying a bow with a nocked arrow within 150 feet of an occupied building or 450 feet of any school playground is prohibited. Crossbows can now also be used as of last year. Crossbows must have a draw weight of at least 75 pounds.

Welcome to NJ. Good luck with the transition.

Just some further clarification... you can use a centerfire rifle to hunt small game in nj, but only on private property.

OK...so today i spoke with the nj state police firearms division. I told the officer my situation and his response was much the same as everyone elses, in his own words "what would possibly drive you to move to this hole" my response was that my fiance lives there and is currently unable to move, his response was "find a new fiance" lol....so anyway according to the state police i dont need to do anything other then bring the weapons with me, no registration is needed but ofcourse it is recomended. Thanks for all the support and help with this.

OK...so today i spoke with the nj state police firearms division. I told the officer my situation and his response was much the same as everyone elses, in his own words "what would possibly drive you to move to this hole" my response was that my fiance lives there and is currently unable to move, his response was "find a new fiance" lol....so anyway according to the state police i dont need to do anything other then bring the weapons with me, no registration is needed but ofcourse it is recomended. Thanks for all the support and help with this.

Welcome to our Hell. Try the pie.