NJdiverTony

First Handgun Advice/Recommendations?

Hey all,

So, doing a bit of research while I wait for my pistol permits to come through... I've got a few different guns (all 9mm's) that I've narrowed it down to, but was wondering if you all had any advice on them... I know that I should get over to a range to hold and shoot some of these pistols, which I intend to do eventually, but in the meanwhile I would appreciate any input that you more experienced guys have to offer. So here's my current short-list of pistols that are piquing my interest:

- Springfield XDM (if I can get a NJ legal one)

- Sig P226

- CZ-75B

- FN-P9

- Beretta 92FS

- Springfield XD

Ideally I would love to keep the cost down as much as possible and get a good quality pistol, which is why the XD, CZ, FN and Beretta look attractive to me. The XDM and Sig are a bit more than I would like to spend, but I could probably swing it if I really want to as they seem to be pretty awesome guns.

Also, I'm a big guy with big hands... so anything that would be good fit for big hands would be great.

Any of you that may have experience with any of these pistols, I would really appreciate your input and advice.

Thanks,

Tony

I would try to shoot as many as possible before buying, otherwise you will end up like me and selling nearly as much as you buy. I don't know where in NJ you are, but Shore Shot pistol range in Lakewood has a great pistol rental policy. It is one price for a single caliber. You pay $10 to rent a 9mm gun, and you can try all the different 9mm guns they have without paying any more. I know they have a few on your list.

This question is like asking "what girlfriend should I get first"?

The answer is; all of them, try them out, repeatedly till you find one that doesn't give you any trouble, feels good in your hands and is nice to look at. :icon_e_biggrin:

All good choices. All excellent guns.

You really need to at least spend some time with each of them at a gun shop, and preferably shoot each one. It's all a matter of personal choice and comfort. Some will point naturally for you, some won't. Some will feel better in your hand than others. Some will get back on target for you quicker than others.

Don't depend on our recommendations. None of the guns on your list are what any of us would consider low quality crap, or unfit for your intended use. We all just have different tastes and needs. I shoot my CZ well, but I can't point a Sig comfortably. I like the steel guns, other people like polymer.

You gotta make that decision for yourself. Try to get to one of the meetups. Between us, we probably have all of the guns on your list, and likely a few more (HK, Walther, S&W). Everyone here is happy to share their stuff at the range, and happy to offer any insight into the peculiarities of any particular gun.

Shopping is part of the fun.

Do I need to have and FPID or Pistol Permit to rent and shoot at a shop that has a range, so I can try out some of these guns? Waiting for new FPID card to come through with my new address on it... I still have the old one but has my old address which doesn't match my DL.

Most of the shops will ask to see your FID card before they''ll let you handle any guns. At that point, they don't know that you have a new address, so it shouldn't be an issue.

I don't know about renting at a range, though.

You are doing yourself a great disservice is you do not try and Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm.

Try all that you listed, and whatever fits best and feels right.

I've read mixed reviews on the M&P, which is why it wasn't on my list... but if I'm able to get my hands on one and try them out, I'll definitely check it out.

Thanks!

I'd recommend any of those that can be easily converted to .22LR.

-

Good point! .22 conversion kits are a great training tool for new shooters. You'll get a whole lot of trigger time with a brick. There's not much muzzle blast or recoil so you can really concentrate on improving your trigger pull and maintaining the correct sight picture. I'd suggest checking out the Advantage Arms .22 kit for Glocks and the Tactical Solutions .22 kit for 1911s.

I've read mixed reviews on the M&P, which is why it wasn't on my list... but if I'm able to get my hands on one and try them out, I'll definitely check it out.

Thanks!

I probably have over 2k round through mine with ZERO hiccups. One time I didn't seat the mag fully, so operator error one time.

Renting guns will mess up your initial plans, in a good way though. We see guns online or in magazines, or maybe hear good things about a certain gun, but until we actually get them in our hands and shoot them, we won't know if we like them or not. My girlfriend just went through what you're going through. She did a ton of research on 9mm's for her second pistol (after buying a .22), rented a few from Shoreshot and shot my Ruger P95. Then she put a few rounds through my S&W Model 10 revolver. Long story short, after all of the 9mm research, she wound up buying a S&W Model 19 .357 revolver. If I remember, she paid $350 for it, and couldn't be happier.

- Sig P226

- CZ-75B

- FN-P9

- Beretta 92FS

- Springfield XD

Ideally I would love to keep the cost down as much as possible and get a good quality pistol, which is why the XD, CZ, FN and Beretta look attractive to me. The XDM and Sig are a bit more than I would like to spend, but I could probably swing it if I really want to as they seem to be pretty awesome guns.

Also, I'm a big guy with big hands... so anything that would be good fit for big hands would be great.

Any of you that may have experience with any of these pistols, I would really appreciate your input and advice.

Thanks,

Tony

Suggestions to go rent some guns and get some hands-on experience are very good. When you do figure out what feels best don't necessarily let the cost sway you too much. You don't want to regret buying a gun that was your second or third choice. It is possible to get really good deals on many of these guns. I have a P226 and got a really good deal on it. Much less than what most dealers sell them for (barely over dealer cost). I suggest you check out Jim Flynn on Rt. 31, up the road from you, at Jim Flynn's Truck Repair. A buddy of mine just got a P226 from him and paid even less than what I paid for mine (I couldn't believe it - I didn't get mine from him). I only have experience with the 92FS and the Sig. Both are very nice and feel great in my big man hands :icon_e_biggrin: (6'3" 315lbs)

Hey all,

So, doing a bit of research while I wait for my pistol permits to come through... I've got a few different guns (all 9mm's) that I've narrowed it down to, but was wondering if you all had any advice on them... I know that I should get over to a range to hold and shoot some of these pistols, which I intend to do eventually, but in the meanwhile I would appreciate any input that you more experienced guys have to offer. So here's my current short-list of pistols that are piquing my interest:

- Sig P226

- CZ-75B

- FN-P9

- Beretta 92FS

- Springfield XD

Thanks,

Tony

Well, I made it down to Shore Shot today and got to shoot a few different pistols. I shot the Sig P226 9mm, the S&W M&P 9mm, Beretta 92fs, Glock 17, Glock 19. The P226 was just OK for me... Even though I have big hands, the grip was just too fat and awkward for me and was having trouble being accurate with it. I also noticed that it has more muzzle flip than most others... from what I've read it has a higher bore axis than other pistols out there. The M&P 9 was MUCH better for me and I was able to shoot much more accurately with it. The winner out of them all was the Beretta 92fs, though... WOW, it was like it was made just for my hands and I was very accurate with it. I guess because it felt so good in my hand, I was able to also be more accurate. I really was looking forward to trying out the Glocks... but damn, they SUCKED for me! (No offense to any of you Glock fans). They just felt very uncomfortable in my hands and I just couldn't shoot them well.

The rental selection at Shore Shot wasn't that diverse so I didn't get to shoot much else. I did try holding some of the pistols they sell though and I really liked the CZ 75 SP-01... It was just like teh Beretta... it just felt very natural in my hand. The HK P30 was also pretty sweet... Anyone here have any experience with this pistol? Is it any good? I know HK has a very good rep. I wish I could have been able to shoot the CZ, so I could compare it with the 92fs. I also did try holding the P226 e2 and that felt WAYYYY better in the hand than the regular P226... but I think I'm still leaning towards either the CZ or the Beretta 92fs.

Now it's just the waiting game, until I get my permits... and then it's time to go shopping!!! :icon_e_biggrin:

Thanks to you all that let me know about being able to rent at Shore Shot... I'm really glad that I did this, as it really helped me narrow down my choices and helped me avoid purchasing a gun that wasn't right for me.

The P226 was just OK for me... Even though I have big hands, the grip was just too fat and awkward for me and was having trouble being accurate with it.

+1. Those doublestack Sigs (226 & 229) are too fat for my stubby fingers to reach the trigger well. So is the Beretta 92 with the Hogue wraparound grips. I need the slim plastic grips in order to shoot it well.

Good luck. You can't go wrong with the Beretta or the CZ. My personal preference is the CZ, not that this should influence you. :)

Well, I made it down to Shore Shot today and got to shoot a few different pistols. I shot the Sig P226 9mm, the S&W M&P 9mm, Beretta 92fs, Glock 17, Glock 19. The P226 was just OK for me... Even though I have big hands, the grip was just too fat and awkward for me and was having trouble being accurate with it. I also noticed that it has more muzzle flip than most others... from what I've read it has a higher bore axis than other pistols out there. The M&P 9 was MUCH better for me and I was able to shoot much more accurately with it. The winner out of them all was the Beretta 92fs, though... WOW, it was like it was made just for my hands and I was very accurate with it. I guess because it felt so good in my hand, I was able to also be more accurate. I really was looking forward to trying out the Glocks... but damn, they SUCKED for me! (No offense to any of you Glock fans). They just felt very uncomfortable in my hands and I just couldn't shoot them well.

The rental selection at Shore Shot wasn't that diverse so I didn't get to shoot much else. I did try holding some of the pistols they sell though and I really liked the CZ 75 SP-01... It was just like teh Beretta... it just felt very natural in my hand. The HK P30 was also pretty sweet... Anyone here have any experience with this pistol? Is it any good? I know HK has a very good rep. I wish I could have been able to shoot the CZ, so I could compare it with the 92fs. I also did try holding the P226 e2 and that felt WAYYYY better in the hand than the regular P226... but I think I'm still leaning towards either the CZ or the Beretta 92fs.

Now it's just the waiting game, until I get my permits... and then it's time to go shopping!!! :icon_e_biggrin:

Thanks to you all that let me know about being able to rent at Shore Shot... I'm really glad that I did this, as it really helped me narrow down my choices and helped me avoid purchasing a gun that wasn't right for me.

One nice thing about Shore Shot is that if you decide what you want, and buy/order from them, you can go and shoot it anytime while you are waiting for your paperwork to come in.. (I believe most ranges will do this for you as well as several of our forum vendors)

If your not impatient, and willing to wait, be sure to fill out a price request here on the forum and give the vendors and supporters of NJGF a shot at earning your business...

I think the best rental selection is found at Shore Shot.

Yes - Shore Shot is a great place to try out guns. I tried a few there and they only charged me for the ammo since I bought a pistol there. They also have good prices and low sales tax.

I have a Sig 226 Equinox that has been flawless with over 2K rounds through it. The Equinox grips are a little larger than standard 226 grips. It may fit you well. I have it in .40 S&W and it shoots smoother than some 9's I have shot. It is an awesome pistol. The night sights on it are the best I have used. I would also like to get an Elite version, but not sure what model yet.