Sign in to follow this  
usnmars

Your favorite gun shop. The one you always go to

What is your favorite gun shop, and why? My 2 favorites are Furniture and Firearms Depot in Mt. Bethel, PA And Jewels. Furniture depot because you drop the wife off to do her shopping and you can do yours all in the same store. If you buy a full room of furniture, you get a free gun! And the guy that runs the place, Jim, rocks when it comes to customer service. And Jewels because it is soooooo bazaar, Jewels is a gunshop/bar. What else can I say. You can toss back a cold one while waiting for the transfer to go through. I love the place and is a normal hangout. His inventory is smaller than most shops, but it is worth stopping in. Grab a Heinekin and pick out the new toy, gotta love it. I LOVE LIVING OUT IN THE STICKS!!! Places like this wouldn't last a second in an urbanized area.

What are your favorites and why......

Guest tAKticool

Cannot stand my local two stores, Sportsmans Center and Cheyenne Mt.

Sportsmans Center are generally nice people but terrible prices and bad selection. Slight dooshbaggery abounds but not in relative comparison. Old man is nice and fairly knowledgeable but not as knowledgeable as he attempts to portray by using an extremely advanced vocabulary, including the use of inproper verb conjugation and etc. that makes you sound stupid for trying to sound smart. Another young kid is some sort of marine army etc. that doens't know much but comes off like he's the youngest Weapons Sergeant in Special Forces history. I once overheard him confusing "Luger" and "Ruger" and 9mm in incorrect reference and comparison to "9mm", "9x19", "9mm Luger" and "9mm Parabellum" [correct me if I'm wrong here BUT THOSE ARE ALL THE SAME DAGGONE THING SON!].. and dude used the word "Ballistics" while attempting to define "Ballistics" , a gentleman saw me purchasing a Glock 23 model in .40 S&W and he wanted to know what that was like, in comparison to I believe he had picked up some sort of .45, and received this genius answer "Well as member of [whatever branch] and of course being a marksman with an M16 i can hereby inform you through my oral dictation that (here comes the AWESOME part and most of this is verbatim) 'Ballistically speaking, those two rounds differ in ballistics. That is, the .40 S&W and the .45 (acp) would have different ballistics when you fire them, so the ballistics of both rounds would be different. *Ballistically speaking, of course* ' when he threw in the last 'ballistically speaking, of course' I actually busted out laughing and just said to the other guy helping me " okok I'll take the Glock 23 sir thank you, get me out of here ' between more laughs.

Down the road, Cheyenne Mt Outfitters is opposite, better prices and much better selections but the dooshbaggery is through the roof. I mean I've heard stuff like "We don't have to sell this to you if we don't want, I mean, even if we don't like you. If you're an asshole we tell you to leave. We don't need your money we do great business." Perhaps true but , really? I mean really? Have heard them say, Go somewhere else etc. No discounts, no price breaks etc. they don't to they sell 10-15 guns a day before lunch , etc. Again, entirely possible, but still, really man? But there are a few cool gentleman, generally a group of 3 or so older guys that are cool. One is my favorite but don't see him a lot and he helps me most. Another is a guy in the back, works on guns, he's boresighted stuff for me and adjusted scopes and triggers etc. all for free. Out of the counter guys, one of the older guys was initially a @*#* but I greased him with a pair of $20's on my first purchase there and he's been fine since. And I have made the point of saying in front of him "Some of your coworkers here, I mean even a few right here now, are real @&*#$*@**'s but that's why I talk to you, and that's why they ain't gettin my tips " and as I said, he does well for me now.

I wouldn't really choose to shop at either but they're the closest, sometimes I hate gun stuff shopping on internet, I like to see and touch and feel and also instant gratification.

Dick's SPorting Goods has actually always been pretty good to me. Rock bottom prices generally, and most of the workers don't act too tough-guy or know-it-all-Mr. Special Forces and Olympic marksman champion..., I like them because they basically admit, "Hey I'm here for the $8/hour to pay for food and booze in school or to feed my wife and kid, " etc. and they are nice, helpful, etc.

Wish I had the money to open my own shop, I'd have an entire new outlook to bring to the industry.

I've used FFL's here (TJ's and PK90), local FFL's (Caso's, Armament Gunsmithing and Ray's) and love those 4.

The only FFL I've had an issue with is Bullet Hole. Not a fan of them or their shop. I do NOT recommend them.

What is your favorite gun shop, and why? My 2 favorites are Furniture and Firearms Depot in Mt. Bethel, PA And Jewels. Furniture depot because you drop the wife off to do her shopping and you can do yours all in the same store. If you buy a full room of furniture, you get a free gun! And the guy that runs the place, Jim, rocks when it comes to customer service. And Jewels because it is soooooo bazaar, Jewels is a gunshop/bar. What else can I say. You can toss back a cold one while waiting for the transfer to go through. I love the place and is a normal hangout. His inventory is smaller than most shops, but it is worth stopping in. Grab a Heinekin and pick out the new toy, gotta love it. I LOVE LIVING OUT IN THE STICKS!!! Places like this wouldn't last a second in an urbanized area.

What are your favorites and why......

Where is Jewels located? Mt. Bethel also? I'd like to check it out.

Guest HuntingPaper

TJ Sporting Arms (Tony, the best) and Bullet Hole :)

I used Meltzer's for a few years since two of the shopkeep's were VERY VERY helpful will my budding interest in firearms. I found their prices very competitive, and they're transfer fee's fair.

But I recently switched to Caso's Gun a Rama. And their just as helpful, if not TOO helpful, everytime I go in there, I wanna buy another rifle....lol..

Guest tAKticool

Just curious if others go to CMO or Sportsmans?

I had the distinct honor of shooting at Harry Beckwith Indoor Pistol Range in Micanopy, FL as well as meeting and speaking with Mr. Beckwith himself many times. The man was salty and terse but somehow friendly all at the same moment. The air about him was that of honor and knowledge of things that I could not comprehend.

Here is part of the explanation of his knowledge (and a fantastic story): The Harry Beckwith Story

Apparently, Mr. Beckwith passed away fairly recently. He was a rare man. I miss America and good, friendly, no-nonsense range owner/operators.

Here's their current website.

Gotta go with Tanner's in Jamison, PA and Quinby's in Dublin, PA. Tanners has a great selection and always has good prices. The counter guys, as well as Ray Sr. & Jr. are all friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. Quinby's because it more like an old time gun store. Great selection of new and used guns - lots of used handguns at decent prices. Brad (the owner) is a nice guy - haven't seen Lou for a while, but he was always fun - bark worse than bite kinda guy.

Adios,

Pizza Bob<-----just a stone's throw away from freedom

Cannot stand my local two stores, Sportsmans Center and Cheyenne Mt.

Sportsmans Center are generally nice people but terrible prices and bad selection. Slight dooshbaggery abounds but not in relative comparison. Old man is nice and fairly knowledgeable but not as knowledgeable as he attempts to portray by using an extremely advanced vocabulary, including the use of inproper verb conjugation and etc. that makes you sound stupid for trying to sound smart. Another young kid is some sort of marine army etc. that doens't know much but comes off like he's the youngest Weapons Sergeant in Special Forces history. I once overheard him confusing "Luger" and "Ruger" and 9mm in incorrect reference and comparison to "9mm", "9x19", "9mm Luger" and "9mm Parabellum" [correct me if I'm wrong here BUT THOSE ARE ALL THE SAME DAGGONE THING SON!].. and dude used the word "Ballistics" while attempting to define "Ballistics" , a gentleman saw me purchasing a Glock 23 model in .40 S&W and he wanted to know what that was like, in comparison to I believe he had picked up some sort of .45, and received this genius answer "Well as member of [whatever branch] and of course being a marksman with an M16 i can hereby inform you through my oral dictation that (here comes the AWESOME part and most of this is verbatim) 'Ballistically speaking, those two rounds differ in ballistics. That is, the .40 S&W and the .45 (acp) would have different ballistics when you fire them, so the ballistics of both rounds would be different. *Ballistically speaking, of course* ' when he threw in the last 'ballistically speaking, of course' I actually busted out laughing and just said to the other guy helping me " okok I'll take the Glock 23 sir thank you, get me out of here ' between more laughs.

Down the road, Cheyenne Mt Outfitters is opposite, better prices and much better selections but the dooshbaggery is through the roof. I mean I've heard stuff like "We don't have to sell this to you if we don't want, I mean, even if we don't like you. If you're an asshole we tell you to leave. We don't need your money we do great business." Perhaps true but , really? I mean really? Have heard them say, Go somewhere else etc. No discounts, no price breaks etc. they don't to they sell 10-15 guns a day before lunch , etc. Again, entirely possible, but still, really man? But there are a few cool gentleman, generally a group of 3 or so older guys that are cool. One is my favorite but don't see him a lot and he helps me most. Another is a guy in the back, works on guns, he's boresighted stuff for me and adjusted scopes and triggers etc. all for free. Out of the counter guys, one of the older guys was initially a @*#* but I greased him with a pair of $20's on my first purchase there and he's been fine since. And I have made the point of saying in front of him "Some of your coworkers here, I mean even a few right here now, are real @&*#$*@**'s but that's why I talk to you, and that's why they ain't gettin my tips " and as I said, he does well for me now.

I wouldn't really choose to shop at either but they're the closest, sometimes I hate gun stuff shopping on internet, I like to see and touch and feel and also instant gratification.

Dick's SPorting Goods has actually always been pretty good to me. Rock bottom prices generally, and most of the workers don't act too tough-guy or know-it-all-Mr. Special Forces and Olympic marksman champion..., I like them because they basically admit, "Hey I'm here for the $8/hour to pay for food and booze in school or to feed my wife and kid, " etc. and they are nice, helpful, etc.

Wish I had the money to open my own shop, I'd have an entire new outlook to bring to the industry.

Hey Guys,

What he said! I'm tracking pretty close experience wise except to say that I generally end up buying on line, from GunBroker, Sturmgewehr, or any of a number of For Sale sections on a handful of websites; with shipping to my FFL, Oakridge Gunworks in Allentown. George has been a great guy to deal with...

If I do need to buy something now, I generally buy it from the Sportsman's Center. The owner, Brian, is the current head of my lodge and a really nice guy. His crew is a little special, and certainly not the sharpest pencils in the box, but for one particularly bad occasion, my experience with them has generally been very good. At least I haven't found them spouting off with too much of the elitist mall ninja crap, I've heard down the road at CMO. Once in a while I take a drive down to Lawmens in Little Egg Harbor, because the shop, while small, caters to the more tactical flavor I tend to follow, over the other two...

Respectfully,

Harry