BRN169

SAF and ANJRPC files suit against the state of NJ!

Whiners and complainers,

Time to put up or shut up. You can help defray the legal costs by donating through ANJRPC:

https://anjrpc.site-ym.com/donations/

I just ponied up $100, and will contribute more after I receive my year-end bonus.

While you're at it, sign up for ANJRPC membership.

Cheers,

PR-NJ

Guest megaman

I just backed up my flowery review of the lawsuit with $500 to the SAF.

Its tax deductible! Donate what you can.

I just backed up my flowery review of the lawsuit with $500 to the SAF.

Its tax deductible! Donate what you can.

Being somewhat of a sceptic, I checked on the deductibility of contributions to the Second Amendment Foundation. According to IRS Pub. 78 (which lists tax-exempt organizations), sir, you are correct!

Guest megaman

Being somewhat of a sceptic, I checked on the deductibility of contributions to the Second Amendment Foundation. According to IRS Pub. 78 (which lists tax-exempt organizations), sir, you are correct!

I know my tax deductions! I need all that I can get! LOL!!

NEW JERSEY COALITION FOR SELF DEFENSE - POB 1412 – WASHINGTON TWP NJ 07676

877-890-5460 - [email protected] This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - November 23, 2010

NJCSD Supports Landmark SAF Gun Rights Case

New Jersey Coalition for Self Defense to submit amicus brief

Washington Township, NJ - The Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) yesterday filed its case against the State of New Jersey for violating the Second Amendment rights of its citizens in the form of its arbitrary and capricious permit scheme and its narrow definition of “justifiable need”. The New Jersey Coalition for Self Defense (NJCSD), an in-state Second Amendment rights group, plans to submit an amicus brief in support of the case.

“We fully expect the typical anti-gun hysteria predicting Wild West shootouts and streets running with blood,” said Robert Kreisler, President of the NJCSD. “But those fear-mongering predictions have been dragged out every time gun laws are relaxed, and have never come true - ever.” Instead, what has actually happened in states adopting shall-issue policies is that they have experienced a real, measurable decrease in both property crime and violent crime.”

“It can truly be said that more guns equals less crime, because an armed citizenry serves as a powerful deterrent to criminals and general lawlessness,” Kreisler continued. “The court needs to hear and understand that very fundamental truth, which is in part what will be in our amicus brief.”

Alan Gottlieb, the Founder and Executive Vice President of Second Amendment Foundation, is looking forward to helping the people of New Jersey win back the right of self defense. “Following on the heels of the SAF’s victory in McDonald v. City of Chicago, this case is one more step in bringing regressive states like New Jersey up to speed with the rest of the nation,” Gottlieb said. “Some 40-plus states have some sort of basic, Constitutional permitting process where law-abiding citizens can obtain a carry permit. We hope to add New Jersey to that list.”

“This case is our first shot against New Jersey’s gun-hating lawmakers since Heller and McDonald. It won’t be our last.” Said Scott Bach, President of the Association of New Jersey Rifle and Pistol Clubs, a co-plaintiff in the case. “New Jersey's outdated carry laws are based on the false premise that the right to keep and bear arms is a privilege granted by the state, when in fact it is a fundamental right to be protected from the state.”

“This case is sending shockwaves through the halls of the State House, as anti-gun-rights extremist politicians wake up to the fact that their open season on gun owners is at an end. The entire underpinning of New Jersey’s “ban it all, with begrudging exemptions” approach to gun law is vulnerable because it is inconsistent with a fundamental right. In this and future cases, we intend to sweep the legs out from under entire swaths of New Jersey gun law, which will collapse under the weight of their own unconstitutionality.” added Bach.

The NJCSD plans to hold fundraising events throughout the state and online to help support SAF in this and other efforts. “Living in one of the most backward states in the nation, the residents of New Jersey fully understand the fallacy of gun control and will be eager to support this case,” predicted Kreisler. “At the same time, they can be satisfied knowing that they’ll be helping their brothers and sisters in states like California, New York and Massachusetts as well.”

The Second Amendment Foundation (www.saf.org) is the nation's oldest and largest tax-exempt education, research, publishing and legal action group, founded in 1974, The Foundation has grown to more than 650,000 members and supporters and conducts many programs designed to better inform the public about the consequences of gun control.

The Association of New Jersey Rifle and Pistol clubs is New Jersey’s the National Rifle Association’s in-state affiliate committed to implementing all of NRA’s programs in the state. They can be found on the web at www.anjrpc.org.

The New Jersey Coalition for Self Defense (NJCSD) was founded in 2002 to combat misinformation about and raise public awareness of issues related to self defense in New Jersey. For more information about the NJCSD, visit their website at www.njcsd.org or call 877-890-5460.

###

On "Ask the Governor" last night, talking about a completely different topic (Obama's healthcare reforl megislation), Christie said (and I paraphrase)..."If it's unconstitutional in any state, it's unconstitutional in New Jersey"

It'll be interesting to see how much of that sentence he remembers when these suits start to get media attention.

I'd also like to echo in part Mak's comments relating to the efforts of others. There are at least three organisations planning suits in NJ, The one filed yesterday is the first and it's a great step forward - let's see the pressure mount when the other two are filed. There is a LOT of work happenning in the background on this issue for the benefit of all of us. Let's get involved.

best

G

On "Ask the Governor" last night, talking about a completely different topic (Obama's healthcare reforl megislation), Christie said (and I paraphrase)..."If it's unconstitutional in any state, it's unconstitutional in New Jersey"

It'll be interesting to see how much of that sentence he remembers when these suits start to get media attention.

I'd also like to echo in part Mak's comments relating to the efforts of others. There are at least three organisations planning suits in NJ, The one filed yesterday is the first and it's a great step forward - let's see the pressure mount when the other two are filed. There is a LOT of work happenning in the background on this issue for the benefit of all of us. Let's get involved.

best

G

Not being a Legal beagle, but would it make more sense to combine efforts in a suit rather than file separate lawsuits? I'm thinking from a cost stand point and having all 2a organizations combine efforts? Could more plaintiffs be added after the fact? or is the idea of multiple lawsuits more of advantage that one large one?

All I can say is... there were more organizations involved in this other than ANJRPC, who did alot more work, in particular one person here. Personally, it bugs the **** out of me that I cannot publicly show my true feelings that this person is in the shadows, not getting the recognition he damn well deserves.

Very early on we all agreed that the "shadows" were just fine. Patience, Maks.

Not being a Legal beagle, but would it make more sense to combine efforts in a suit rather than file separate lawsuits? I'm thinking from a cost stand point and having all 2a organizations combine efforts? Could more plaintiffs be added after the fact? or is the idea of multiple lawsuits more of advantage that one large one?

I think that one advantage of the several lawsuits would be that if one fails, the others still have a chance to succeed.

I do agree on the cost sharing aspect. I said I was going to donate to SAF under the impression that they are spearheading this. I feel that is probably not the case & that some concerned citizens of NJ contacted the larger groups to organize a strategy. I believe I will divide my initial intended donation & wait for those in the shadows to step forwards. :icon_e_wink:

Christie stated something like: It doesn't matter how many plaintiffs you have relating to states suing over Obamacare. The same would hold true for gun rights. IMO The separate suits are meant to address different aspects of the laws & provide support for the ones already filed? I know very little (nothing) about legal tactics so maybe someone well versed could comment here. Nevermind. Loose lips sink ships.

I do agree on the cost sharing aspect. I said I was going to donate to SAF under the impression that they are spearheading this. I feel that is probably not the case & that some concerned citizens of NJ contacted the larger groups to organize a strategy. I believe I will divide my initial intended donation & wait for those in the shadows to step forwards. :icon_e_wink:

Christie stated something like: It doesn't matter how many plaintiffs you have relating to states suing over Obamacare. The same would hold true for gun rights. IMO The separate suits are meant to address different aspects of the laws & provide support for the ones already filed? I know very little (nothing) about legal tactics so maybe someone well versed could comment here. Nevermind. Loose lips sink ships.

That is absolutely not the case. It is clear that the SAF, ANJRPC and the NJCSD were actively soliciting people that felt they had been wrongfully denied a carry permit a mere two months ago. I also laid out the history leading up to this in my prediction that it would happen. This is part of a national plan to restore the Second Amendment that has been ongoing for many years already.

while its a step, dont get your hopes up. never underestimate the power of the government to fyck over the common citizen. especially the NJ gov. when it comes to guns. hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Good for us it was not brought before a state court. The US District Court of NJ is a federal court that just happens to be in NJ. It is a federal court that also happens to not be packed with the usual suspects. NJ judges are named as defendants so suit has to be up one level. This is great news.

Is there any consideration that the state of New Jersey will simply see the writing on the wall? That the state will not spend the thousands and thousands to defend their unconstitutional and woefully outdated position? It seems like such a waste of resources. Better would be to change the law themselves, charge for the CCW permits, and put money into the state account. I know that this will never happen, but iI never thought we would even get this far.

Well, that seems to be the case with the Van Drew bill. However, its the opinion of most in the know that the staunch resistance in NJ gov despite the facts will doom ANY bill. Legal action is our only hope for legal change in anything resembling a reasonable time frame.

BRN169, Im not clear on the point your making. To all, its a subject best left alone...... for now.

Jeanders, that's what I was thinking! Why don't they just not waste time or resources, scrap the current system, and adopt a system mirroring PA or even Arizona. Makes a lot more sense. And if Christie supported this, I'd vote for him come election time.

Is there any consideration that the state of New Jersey will simply see the writing on the wall? That the state will not spend the thousands and thousands to defend their unconstitutional and woefully outdated position? It seems like such a waste of resources. Better would be to change the law themselves, charge for the CCW permits, and put money into the state account. I know that this will never happen, but iI never thought we would even get this far.

No. This is NJ after all. Money to be had all around. We donate to SAF to allow them to sue NJ (I did). NJ puts on a defense

(guess who gets to pay all those lawyers).

Suit is either won or lost. Next plantiff comes around and we do it all again.

When all is said an done NJ politically connected lawyers win. They are just like bookies, they take their share win, lose or draw.

Well, that seems to be the case with the Van Drew bill. However, its the opinion of most in the know that the staunch resistance in NJ gov despite the facts will doom ANY bill. Legal action is our only hope for legal change in anything resembling a reasonable time frame.

BRN169, Im not clear on the point your making. To all, its a subject best left alone...... for now.

To which point do you speak?

I've donated to but never joined a gun rights organization before. On the strength of this suit, viewing it as REAL HELP for NJ citizens, I have become a lifetime member of SAF.

It's so easy for the state capitol to pass new laws in record time where politically expedient. Some would argue (probably correctly) that the state will fight with everything the taxpayers have to retain their laws which violate the bill of rights. For this reason alone funding is needed. But maybe this suit and the rest to come will provide the violators with political cover to move with great speed to rewrite the laws. Not just for carry but for general compliance with the constitutionally required notion of liberty:

Carry in public in non-sensitive places

Scrap the handgun permit system and OGAM

Scrap ammo restrictions including hollow-points

Scrap the so-called AWB and 15 round arbitrary limit

Scrap gun transport travel restrictions

Yes, it's a good day, and a good week for a thanksgiving :)

• Like 1

Your previous post.

ChrisJM981 stated "I said I was going to donate to SAF under the impression that they are spearheading this. I feel that is probably not the case & that some concerned citizens of NJ contacted the larger groups to organize a strategy.

And I replied "That is absolutely not the case. It is clear that the SAF, ANJRPC and the NJCSD were actively soliciting people that felt they had been wrongfully denied a carry permit a mere two months ago. I also laid out the history leading up to this in my prediction that it would happen. This is part of a national plan to restore the Second Amendment that has been ongoing for many years already."

I was making the point that this suit was not driven by individuals seeking out the SAF and ANJRPC to right the wrongs in NJ. This effort is not about even NJ or its carry laws; this is all part of a larger effort by SAF to restore the meaning of the second amendment nationally. This case is a small piece of that complicated puzzle as are Heller, McDonald, Nordyke, and all of the suits that are similar to this one for NJ in 3rd such as 9th, 7th, 4th and 2nd districts.

No real mention of this in the news lately...

The media in this state is hard left and as such vehemently anti-gun; they are going to have a hard time deciding whether to try to undermine and spin this from the left or to just ignore it and act as though it didn't happen so as not to draw attention to it. To ignore it is also to not lend the suit credibility... This suit is like a hand grenade with the pin pulled out to the leftist, they know what's coming but don't quite know what to do with it...