Nick S

Hello from North Brunswick

Hi folks! I'm new to wanting to own a firearm but not new to being around them. Grew up with several law enforcement officers in the family and then have worked alongside many fine law enforcement officers throughout my career.

I grew up in the vortex better known as NJ and it keeps pulling me back. Recently, my interest in firearm ownership was stoked because I was living in NC doing some contract work and I had many friends there who were all firearm owners and enthusiasts.

I am the true newbie to wanting to own a firearm though. I am looking for any and all advice. Haven't decided what I want to buy as my first firearm yet. Hopeful to get the chance to try many different firearms before making my final decision.

I've been lurking here for quite some time and finally decided to join and perhaps start asking questions of those with more experience. Looking forward to networking with all of you as I begin my journey down the path to firearms ownership.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I may just have to start coming to some of the events of the members of this group. As I said in my initial post I am looking to purchase my first firearm in the near future. I know I still have to go through all the paperwork and I'm not looking forward to all of that but it's what I'll have to do in order to enjoy a firearm in NJ.

Perhaps you all could give me some advice. As I said I am a begining shooter. I've fired a few shotguns before but never a handgun and that's what I am looking for. I should also mention that I use a wheelchair for mobility so I have to take that into consideration when selecting a gun. I don't want something with too strong a kick when firing it. I am however looking at keeping the gun in my home to use for self defense so I do want something that's going to get the job done and stop an intruder if I encounter one.

Along these lines, I am looking to get some firearms training so that I learn how to use my gun correctly and become VERY profficient with it. If I NEED to use it I want to feel confident that I can use it correctly and get the job done.

If any of you have any experience or know of an instructor that has worked with someone in a wheelchair I would appreciate a recommendation. I know that if I do have to use my gun for self defense then I won't be in a range like situation where I will be standing ( ok in my case sitting there)in one spot and able to take my time. I will want to learn and get some tacticle training for using my firearm also.

Again thanks so much for the help and suggestions.

Well then travelling with me in my car is out of the question... heh. I would check with Tony from GunForHire - I bet he has worked with wheelchair-bound people.

As for a pistol, you're more than welcome to try my Px4 Storm 9mm - It's very low recoil for even a 9mm due to the rotating barrel design.

Well then travelling with me in my car is out of the question... heh. I would check with Tony from GunForHire - I bet he has worked with wheelchair-bound people.

As for a pistol, you're more than welcome to try my Px4 Storm 9mm - It's very low recoil for even a 9mm due to the rotating barrel design.

Thanks for the offer. How are the ranges in Lakewood/Brick for someone in a wheelchair? I heard that perhaps Fort Dix might be the best place for me to shoot, although they don't offer gun rental and since I don't have my own yet that really doesn't help me unless I go there with someone who has a nice selection for me to try.

Wecome to the site Nick!

There is plenty of great information here. I have been a member for a year or so.

I went to Brick Armory (Lakewood) a couple weeks back and there was a gentleman there target shooting and he was in a wheelchair. I don't see there being a problem for someone in a wheelchair at Shore Shot either.

I am in the same boat as you. I am have put my paperwork in for my PP and I am just waiting for it to be done.

Welcome to the looney bin :icon_e_biggrin:

Get your paperwork together and get it in to the PD. While you are waiting schedule a class with Anthony at Gun for Hire.

He is a great guy and will give you good instruction and help you with any special needs you may have.

After taking the training, go down to Shore Shot and rent whatever catches your eye. There should be no issues getting a wheel cahair into the range.

Nick,

I think it would be interesting to know if you have to provide any additional documentation or information as you go through the application process.

The state tries to dissuade gun ownership at every opportunity, and I'm wondering if there will be any additional barriers put up for you in light of your particular situation.

Please keep us informed of your progress, and I hope the process goes smoothly for you.

Nick,

I think it would be interesting to know if you have to provide any additional documentation or information as you go through the application process.

The state tries to dissuade gun ownership at every opportunity, and I'm wondering if there will be any additional barriers put up for you in light of your particular situation.

Please keep us informed of your progress, and I hope the process goes smoothly for you.

Kenw,

I was thinking the same thing honestly when I first started this whole idea. I see on the NJSP website it does say that you can be denied a firearm if you cannot handle it properly due to an impairment. Good/bad thing for me is that my local PD knows me well. I grew up with a few officers currently employed there. Not sure how this is going to turn out. I'm still saving up the cash for my first firearm so I haven't submit any of the paperwork yet. I definitely will keep you all updated.

I'm still saving up the cash for my first firearm so I haven't submit any of the paperwork yet. I definitely will keep you all updated.

Get the paperwork going, with the way things work in this state you'll have around 9 months

(3 months for FID/PP + 3 month + 3 month extension) to save up for what you are looking to purchase.

Hi folks! I'm new to wanting to own a firearm but not new to being around them. Grew up with several law enforcement officers in the family and then have worked alongside many fine law enforcement officers throughout my career.

I grew up in the vortex better known as NJ and it keeps pulling me back. Recently, my interest in firearm ownership was stoked because I was living in NC doing some contract work and I had many friends there who were all firearm owners and enthusiasts.

I am the true newbie to wanting to own a firearm though. I am looking for any and all advice. Haven't decided what I want to buy as my first firearm yet. Hopeful to get the chance to try many different firearms before making my final decision.

I've been lurking here for quite some time and finally decided to join and perhaps start asking questions of those with more experience. Looking forward to networking with all of you as I begin my journey down the path to firearms ownership.