CageFighter

US 'cannot accept' China military power

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110107/pl_afp/chinausmilitary

just read the above article. with all the budget cuts, a projected smaller military, cancellation of the new fighter, and the threat against the US rising, how do we as a nation still stay ahead of our enemy?

first we hear about China designing a missile to take out our aircraft carriers, now they're building a shealth fighter. when are we gonna face the reality that we are in a fight for our own survival?? it all starts w/ Obama and rolls downhill. it seems the people in charge want us to go backwards, not forwards! i have a HUGE problem with that! we are worrued about "global warming", oil consumption, etc while our enemy has no regards. With us beggin for $$$ from China, i believe they have this administration by the ballz and squeezing.

i believe we can still use Iraq/Afganistan as a testing ground for new missiles & firepower. Maybe we can start w/ killing al-Sadr, now that he's throwing his weight around in Iraq.

the START treaty has tied our hands when we should be reaching for the sky and space. enuff of kissing everyone elses a$$ and lets start worrying about how the future of the great USA will be.

maybe we can just mind our own business in relation to the world and we would no longer have to worry about all that because other nations would not be so hell bent on our destruction..

I think even if we mind our own business, others will still wanna kill us bc of the freedoms we have compared to others.

I think even if we mind our own business, others will still wanna kill us bc of the freedoms we have compared to others.

I am no expert on anything like that.. but my understanding has always been resentment NOT based on what we have... but our extreme devotion to trying to "share" it with nations that don't particularly want it..

maybe we can just mind our own business in relation to the world and we would no longer have to worry about all that because other nations would not be so hell bent on our destruction..

That's why the US has so many enemies. We allied ourselves with the "one country" and the world hates us. I wonder why? Most of the world loves the USA, but our stupid politicians, ie Billary Clinton, also manage to keep on pissing everyone in the world off.

It seems funny that we are the only nation to constantly call ourselves "the greatest country on earth". Don't get me wrong....I enjoy my freedoms. But it gets taken just a little bit too far sometimes. And don't even get me started on criminals having more freedoms than law abiding citizens....

The U.S better realize that not only are we falling behind militarily but also on technology and education , we are in bad shape and i dont see us coming out of this anytime soon ... Ashame ...

I think a lot of people forget or are not aware of the turmoil, and downright horrors, inflicted upon the East Asian societies by western powers going back a hundred years and some change.

Now, I can't say I know for a fact as I was born and grew up in the US; but having parents and grandparents, and extended family, from that region of the world-- the last thing any of those countries want is to come to fisticuffs with anybody.

I'd say its not necessarily about the exchange or whatnot between the East Asians and western powers, or other geopolitics that could/would/have involve western powers. What I deduce is that this is a show of force in the defensive-sense. And by that I mean these countries, notably China, just want to be left alone; and while though expanding on the economic front, not succumb to the "spheres of influence" of the past.

Is that feasible? I don't know. Politics is a continuation of economics, and countries have become cold-shouldered and gone to conflict for far less-- and I don't know how the US feels about the fact that the tides are shifting in a sense (nor what it would do to maintain its control).

I think its the same reason why the US and other powers in the region do not want to see a united Korea (or conflict, which would most likely end in a united Korea one way or another). Any government stating that the loss of life as a primary reason to not go to conflict is lying through their teeth. Ultimately, there are winners and losers, and a united Korea could really tip the scales.

I know my post tip toes on the discussion of politics, but understand its 'geopolitics,' which is commentary on current affairs :icon_e_smile:

• Like 1

I think a lot of people forget or are not aware of the turmoil, and downright horrors, inflicted upon the East Asian societies by western powers going back a hundred years and some change.

Eh, from the Opium Wars to Boxers to French Indochina colonization-US war, Philippines (Spain & US), I would think that anyone would know, you're sounding a bit college-studenty, Ah but IIRC, you are a history major college student? ;) I went back to school in the early 90s and while all of the above was covered, little was taught of the Japanese occupation of the PI & and even longer of Korea. I have heard stories from old filipinos that would make anyones hair stand up. That said, I'd agree that most immigrant Asians to the US and those I have met in my travels just do want to have a life & a family & be left alone, and the oseas folks are much the same and have about zero interest in military affairs.

I think its the same reason why the US and other powers in the region do not want to see a united Korea (or conflict, which would most likely end in a united Korea one way or another).

Why do you say that? China, & maybe Japan, sure. I bet the Russians would be thrilled at someone else to counter those two. And the US, would probably be better off if it happened. In any case, N. Korea is no E. Germany, when (not if) the Kims are ousted, the South will have a huge burden thrust on them to fix the ruin caused by those criminals.

Whats the difference. The United States currently has the best technology and weapons and we can't defeat a bunch of scumbags using WW2 technology.

You obviously know nothing about warfare or history. We far outgunned the VC as did the French. An opponents tenacity and our PC mindset are not a good combination.

They dont care about our freedoms. They care about the military aid, supplies, and the billions of dollars that we give to their enemies.

If you think they really give a **** about our freedoms and way of life you are grossly misinformed. No personal offense intended.

It seems funny that we are the only nation to constantly call ourselves "the greatest country on earth". Don't get me wrong....I enjoy my freedoms. But it gets taken just a little bit too far sometimes. And don't even get me started on criminals having more freedoms than law abiding citizens....

Criminals DO NOT have more freedoms then law abiding citizens. Without even thinking.... They can't vote and they can't own firearms. That's 2 LESS freedoms they have then we do.

What freedoms do they enjoy that you do not? Free health care and meals in jail??? Cmon man. It's jail. It sucks. Would you give up your freedom for 3 hots and a cot? I doubt it. If I am wrong then go get locked up and enjoy your jail cell.

You obviously know nothing about warfare or history. We far outgunned the VC as did the French. An opponents tenacity and our PC mindset are not a good combination.

I think that was his purpose for posting his statement. We threaten peoples way of life by imposing our political beliefs, right or wrong isnt the issue here, its that fact that these people stand to loose much more then we stand to gain, that right there is a huge influencing factor.

Whats the difference. The United States currently has the best technology and weapons and we can't defeat a bunch of scumbags using WW2 technology.

Remember the british had superior weaponry and organized armies back in the day. They couldn't defeat a bunch of scumbags using hillbilly technology and tactics either.

You reinforced my point. We try to fight a politicaly correct war, or a police action, against people that simply want to kill us. We shouldn't put our soldiers into these pointless situations we wern't determined to win in the first place.

• Like 1

I think everyone is worried a little too much. Our military budget is still bigger than the rest of the world combined. We still have a bunch of subs armed with nukes scattered all over the world. In other words, we can get to anyone faster than they can get to us.

You reinforced my point. We try to fight a politicaly correct war, or a police action, against people that simply want to kill us. We shouldn't put our soldiers into these pointless situations we wern't determined to win in the first place.

OK, I'll agree with that.

Criminals DO NOT have more freedoms then law abiding citizens. Without even thinking.... They can't vote and they can't own firearms. That's 2 LESS freedoms they have then we do.

What freedoms do they enjoy that you do not? Free health care and meals in jail??? Cmon man. It's jail. It sucks. Would you give up your freedom for 3 hots and a cot? I doubt it. If I am wrong then go get locked up and enjoy your jail cell.

Freedoms was the wrong word, although I am having a hard time picking the right word. Conveniences? Opportunities? Regardless of what to call it, they are granted so much more than they deserve. I am talking about "true" criminals, the scumbags of America. To take it a step further, lazy people are granted far more than they deserve. Illegal immigrants are granted far more than they deserve. When an illegal immigrant goes to the hospital to have a baby that is automatically a U.S. citizen, it comes out of my tax money. When some lazy scumbag doesn't feel like working for their money, their grocery money and unemployment paychecks come out of my tax money. I don't know about you guys, but that's not a "freedom" that I really enjoy...

Freedoms was the wrong word, although I am having a hard time picking the right word. Conveniences? Opportunities? Regardless of what to call it, they are granted so much more than they deserve. I am talking about "true" criminals, the scumbags of America. To take it a step further, lazy people are granted far more than they deserve. Illegal immigrants are granted far more than they deserve. When an illegal immigrant goes to the hospital to have a baby that is automatically a U.S. citizen, it comes out of my tax money. When some lazy scumbag doesn't feel like working for their money, their grocery money and unemployment paychecks come out of my tax money. I don't know about you guys, but that's not a "freedom" that I really enjoy...

I don't think it is an actual thing.. but I agree with what you are trying to convey..

I would say this.. the government creates the impression that they are more concerned with the well being of criminals..

They dont have the antiquated technology that many of us think they do. The Chinese have one of the most advanced submarine forces in the world. From an inside source, the war wont be with us it will be with Russia.....

They dont have the antiquated technology that many of us think they do. The Chinese have one of the most advanced submarine forces in the world. From an inside source, the war wont be with us it will be with Russia.....

Its true, China's military has been worrisome for quite some time, though I'd say a lot of that has to do with their mindset and techniques (not necessarily because of just tech).

And no, not a history major :icon_e_wink:, I just read a lot growing up, and listened to the stories my grandmother and grandfather told me (who went through a few of those occupations and wars you noted, matty). Though, I'll admit I've done my fair bit of reading about said subjects in the recent past.

As for western powers against a united Korea, its just a personal theory (hence it should be taken with a grain of salt). The way I see it, the ingenuity, education, emerging tech, growing economy (notably manufacturing), military tech, and trade agreements of South Korea + sheer military might and nuclear power of North Korea... well, on the surface it looks like a potent pair.

I definitely acknowledge the relations between the Koreas is far more complicated then that, and to not include that would be stupid of me. Between emotional tensions, clashing of ideology, and the stress the amount of "refugees" would put on the system ROK has put into place... well, I agree that it could be a totally different picture once the painting is done.

But I do look back on civilizations of the past, and how they organized their social institutions-- and the pieces would practically be there. Would a united Korea even want to be 'the' top dog? Eh, I don't think so, as it was never in their nature. Do they want to be 'a' top dog? Of course, who doesn't? But I don't know if the US would see it like that, instead of just a power grab.

I think everyone is worried a little too much. Our military budget is still bigger than the rest of the world combined. We still have a bunch of subs armed with nukes scattered all over the world. In other words, we can get to anyone faster than they can get to us.

This just worries me that much more lol.

This!!! You can not fight a PC war. It is a loser out of the gate. The enemy surely can give a sh!t about what is on the news in the US. But God forbid they show a mistake we made that killed civilians, even after they enemy blows up a bus load of school girls.... We will always be held to a higher standard not a good position to fight from.

I don't think it is an actual thing..

What do you mean by this?

I would say this.. the government creates the impression that they are more concerned with the well being of criminals..

The government doesn't just create the impression....criminals are granted a lot more than people think. I know a guy who works in corrections. They had a prisoner who was a convicted murderer. While in jail, he killed someone....don't remember if it was another inmate or a corrections officer. But he went to trial for killing that person in jail. While at the trial, he got to wear presentable clothes that were provided by the PROSECUTORS OFFICE. I repeat, the Prosecutors Office whose job it was to convict an already convicted murderer for ANOTHER murder had to provide clothes for him to look presentable to the jury. He also was not cuffed. I understand that since the burden of proving his guilt is on the state, but they should absolutely not be allowing a convicted murderer on trial for ANOTHER murder to sit their uncuffed, in a suit provided by the prosecutors office (our tax money). There was another inmate who was able to escape because he was not restrained during a trial, and left unsupervised.