Sign in to follow this  
Stuntman22

Just purchased a box of 380, holy cow Batman....

Sorry for the rant and call me kooky but I recently learned we can carry hollow points again in NJ. I went to the Local gun shop and bought a box of 20 Federal Premium Low Recoil Personal Defense rounds and it was 23 and change. Is that out of hand? I'm far from cheep and I figure I should carry quality rounds but it sounds like a lot of dough. Over a dollar a round for 90 grain bullets? Am I that far out of the loop?

Comments?

I do not buy ammo retail in NJ anymore I have not done so for at least 10 years... I order everything online or buy while I'm out of state. I find the selection locally generally sucks and the prices are nuts. Not to mention the whole FID/DL thing.

Agreed in most cases. I just picked up .270 for under $15/box at Dicks, though. There are good deals to be had during sales.

#1 .380 is always expensive for what it is.

#2 Personal defense rounds, at least the good stuff, is usually at least $1/cartridge.

#3 Buying at retail store is also more expensive than buying online.

#4 Do you really need Low recoil .380? I realize this is unrelated but .380 is already an anemic round, low recoil ammo seems like a solution in search of a problem. Don't get me wrong, it still will kill people, it just strikes me as unnecessary.

• Like 2

#2 Personal defense rounds, at least the good stuff, is usually at least $1/cartridge.

#4 Do you really need Low recoil .380? I realize this is unrelated but .380 is already an anemic round, low recoil ammo seems like a solution in search of a problem. Don't get me wrong, it still will kill people, it just strikes me as unnecessary.

+1

+1....

and beyond that.. this is a semi auto? doesn't some low recoil ammo create issues at times by not having enough power to properly cycle the gun? make sure it runs through the gun well?

To quote my friend Tom - "If you shoot me with that and I find out about it, I'm gonna be mad."

+1....

and beyond that.. this is a semi auto? doesn't some low recoil ammo create issues at times by not having enough power to properly cycle the gun? make sure it runs through the gun well?

Sure does. Low Recoil = less energy to move the slide and less penetration into the perp. Low recoil makes sense in 12ga slugs, .357 magnum, etc., rounds that have brutal recoil. .380? Not so much. It could make sense for people who are frail or otherwise sensitive to recoil but with the added cycling issues and lowered lethality, I would only buy low recoil if it was necessary.

Edit to add: I realize you can use slower burning powders to flatten the recoil spike while maintaining similar energy levels but as with everything, there's are limits and tradeoffs.

I asked the sales person behind the counter, who was a co-worker at one time and also our range officer what was the best hollow point round he had, and he gave me the Federal Premium. I didn't know anything about "low recoil" till I read the box.

I have a Ruger LCP and it it is a little snappy but the low recoil was not a deciding factor in the purchase. I inquired about Glaser Safety Slugs and he didn't have any but stated they were about 4 times the price. I carry what is appropriate for what I'm wearing. The Ruger is nice because I can put it in my front pocket. Sometimes it's a J Frame. If I have heavy clothes, I like my 229.

There is a gun show in Yonkers coming up, hopefully, I can get some practice ammo and some quality hollow points for carry that wont break the bank.

Thanks for the replies.

I asked the sales person behind the counter, who was a co-worker at one time and also our range officer what was the best hollow point round he had, and he gave me the Federal Premium. I didn't know anything about "low recoil" till I read the box.

I have a Ruger LCP and it it is a little snappy but the low recoil was not a deciding factor in the purchase. I inquired about Glaser Safety Slugs and he didn't have any but stated they were about 4 times the price. I carry what is appropriate for what I'm wearing. The Ruger is nice because I can put it in my front pocket. Sometimes it's a J Frame. If I have heavy clothes, I like my 229.

There is a gun show in Yonkers coming up, hopefully, I can get some practice ammo and some quality hollow points for carry that wont break the bank.

Thanks for the replies.

I am not sure if your particular weapon is finicky on ammo or not.. but I would still throw a few rounds through it to make sure it cycles properly before betting your life on it.. just my 2 cents..

I am not sure if your particular weapon is finicky on ammo or not.. but I would still throw a few rounds through it to make sure it cycles properly before betting your life on it.. just my 2 cents..

I would throw more than just "a few" rounds through a gun before deciding to carry it....

Most gun magazine writers suggest a minimum of 500rds of your carry ammo before you start carrying it. I think most people do about 250-300rds as HP's are expensive, but I'd rather spend the money if I my life depends on it.

I can't believe those 100pack Winchester white boxes are running $36 a box at Cabelas, that's disgusting. If you go to the Walmart near Dorney Park, they were $21.99 in October.

i just bought 3 boxes at $36/box (winchester white box - 100 rounds) at Cabela's.

it's expensive, but i guess it's a supply and demand thing.

36 a box is expensive - doesn't the new Wal-MArt just opposite Cabelas have ammo? Last time i bought 9mm there, WWB was 23/100.....

never seen WWB in 380, though...

G

36 a box is expensive - doesn't the new Wal-MArt just opposite Cabelas have ammo? Last time i bought 9mm there, WWB was 23/100.....

never seen WWB in 380, though...

G

36 a box of 100 is $18 per 50 - for 380, that's not the worst price I've seen.

Thanks for the replies.

I have an LCP also and when I used American Eagle (Federal) I would get 5 or 6 jams (FTE) per box (had the same problem in a CZ 83). I used PPU I had no problems at all (again same in the CZ 83). These were FMJ's but PPU does make a hollow points as well, although they are somewhat hard to come by. I found some at the Valley Forge show last time I went.

In discussions with the ammo dealers they all said that PPU is a little hotter, which in these cases seem to make the ammo more reliable.

FYI - PPU FMJ can be had for $15 - $16 a box of 50 at better gun shows, it's not match grade but it's decent, clean and reloadable.

WOW! Is that what that stuff costs now?? I had a hook in the security department of Sports Authority and when they cleared out all of their ammo and guns from when they used to sell them, he was able to grab me a free case of Winny White Box .380 and about 40 or 50 boxes of C02 canisters for free. I only have one .380 (my PPK) and I can't remember the last time I shot it, so I was about to just turn it down for lack of space in my gun room, but now I'm REALLY glad I took it. I've still yet to open the case... :icon_rolleyes:

I'm not trying to break stones, but I can assure you that I will never buy another .380 unless its a BUG pocket gun or something like that and in that case I hope I never have to shoot it. I have no interest in paying that much for a round that's completely inferior and ballisticly comparable to a wet noodle.

For that matter, I don't find myself interested in shooting anything anymore but my .22's and the guns I get free ammo for from work. Ammo is like gasoline anymore....

I was being modest.. :icon_e_biggrin:

I figured it was just a phrase, and you didn't mean much emphasis behind "a few". I just wanted to clear up that 2 or 3 mags may be enough to determine if you want to buy a gun.....but it's not enough to determine if you should carry it. In an ideal world, I think one should shoot several different kinds of ammo through the gun, minimum of 500 rounds without cleaning. You just never know what will happen. A Kimber may be able to shoot the wings off a fly when it's properly maintained.....but what about when moving? What if debris gets in the gun while defending your life? If you drop it in the dirt while drawing? Pocket lint builds up and you don't notice? I'm just saying it will take more than "a few" rounds standing static for me to feel comfortable with depending on a gun to save my life.

I do not buy ammo retail in NJ anymore I have not done so for at least 10 years... I order everything online or buy while I'm out of state. I find the selection locally generally sucks and the prices are nuts. Not to mention the whole FID/DL thing.

Dont know where you are shopping.

Picked up 9mm federal for $8.99, cheaper than walmart or elsewhere. Had great prices on 38 and 40 as well. The deals are there, you just have to look. If you are buying ammo at the range, that is the first mistake... they need to sell ammo to renters.

For what it's worth, I put a lot of thought into which rounds to have for my LCP. Now, unlike you I can't carry in NJ, but for other states that my FL CCW covers I ended up selecting Hornady Critical Defense .380. I find it feeds a lot better in the LCP than the Federals do, which btw were my first choice. I have twice as many rounds of the Hornady through the gun with zero issues where as in 100 rounds of the Federal I had a few feed issues. LCP's are picky. The Critical Defense also has a polymer plugged into the hollow point which keeps the small .380 round from being gummed up by clothing.

Whatever you buy, get at least 100 rounds to put through at a range to see how it works for you!

Last trip to Cabelas i picked up 100 rounds of IIRC PMC .380 ball for i THINK something like 9.99 a box..Carry ammo i went with Magtech first defense (All copper Bullet) they were areound $23.00 a box iirc, bought the same ammo for my .45 as well.

Sorry for the rant and call me kooky but I recently learned we can carry hollow points again in NJ. I went to the Local gun shop and bought a box of 20 Federal Premium Low Recoil Personal Defense rounds and it was 23 and change. Is that out of hand? I'm far from cheep and I figure I should carry quality rounds but it sounds like a lot of dough. Over a dollar a round for 90 grain bullets? Am I that far out of the loop?

Comments?

Since when is HP ammo ok in NJ?

Since when is HP ammo ok in NJ?

he's LEO..under LEOSA the Hollowpoint rule has been voided...prior to the changes out of state LE couldnt carry HP ammo they were restricted to EFMJ, Powr-ball, or First Defense same as retired NJ LEO's