Sign in to follow this  
usnmars

Might wanna fill up

With all of the turmoil in Egypt right now you may want to top off your gas tanks. I have friends over there right now and they are saying the military has sided with the protestors. Now Egypt owns the Suez Canal in which most of the oil from the middle east passes through. Supply of oil will drop because of this. We STILL aren't allowed to drill in the gulf, they aren't approving permits to drill so domestic production is dropping. This may play out to be the perfect storm for oil prices. My sources are saying don't be surprised if you see $5 a gallon next week maybe much higher. I could be wrong, but it can't hurt to top off your tank.

I've been waiting for you to chime in on this since last night Eric, glad I just got 250 gallons of oil this past week. Just think if gas is 5.00 a gallon what will heating oil be 8.00? My 250 cost me 790.00, at 8.00 it would be 2000.00. Something better give and real soon. The Pres in Washington better pull his head out of his a** and start producing oil in this country again.

Here is some typical bureaucracy for ya. We have the new drilling regulations that the govt released. We now have to submit an environmental impact study before we start a well. They haven't even created the office that the reports are supposed to go to yet!!!! Current rig rumor is that it could be up to a year before we drill again. Once gas prices go through the roof the American people will be like WTF! Why aren't we drilling in US waters. But remember it is all Bush's fault.

Globally about 1% of world oil production travels through the Suez Canal. Most supertankers are too big for the Suez canal.

The United States imports most of its oil from Canada and the next is Mexico.

Even if the canal was shut down, it's not the end of the world, the tankers will just go the other way, as most of them already do. The canal is manned by people with jobs...unless there is a countrywide strike, they're going to keep working.

This does not mean that panic can't or won't drive the price of oil up $50/bbl or more over what it already is.

Egypt does produce oil but it's pretty far down the list so if it stopped entirely, it's not that big of a deal.

If the chaos were to spread to Saudi Arabia, then we're in deep poop. I suspect however that the Saudis won't be using rubber bullets and water cannons. They're just going to wholesale execute whoever needs executing.

• Like 1

As to the larger point...Captain zero is Mr No. No drilling, no time, no where. He's the one who gets the blame. His EPA is doing their level best to squash energy production in this country. I can't wait till they are out of office.

• Like 3

"Approximately 4.5 million b/d flows through the Suez Canal (1.4 million b/d) and Sumed pipeline (3.1 million b/d), or about 5% of global oil"

The oil should mostly end up in Europe -- I don't think we get too much of that oil here in the USA -- although of course a price spike is a worry for us. Supply is more of a worry to southern Europe.

The transportation costs to Europe would rise if they need to ship it around the Cape.

I wouldn't worry too much about freezing in the dark here. Just about paying the bill.

sumed.gif

Time to start tapping those new honey deposits in Alaska. What more reasons do we need to wake the f up and start drilling as much as we can under our own soil. Can you say National Security? Fire up a couple of new nuke plants and get serious about some sort of alternate fuel sources. Low sulfur coal isn't a bad option. Ethanol is BS.

If UAE, Kuwait and Saudi fall to the MB, life can change real fast. Thankfully they are money hunger hoe's and don't export anything but oil and terrorists so they need the money for camel botox treatments and veils for their fugly woman.

• Like 2

What about all the oil that is supposed to be right in the center of our country? I have been reading about it on and off for years. May be an urban legend but it is supposed to be supported by government documents.

Mubarak is a dictator, no question about it . But at least he is reasonable. There is no strong, organized, democratic, pro-western opposition in Egypt. Just a bunch of ppl who says they are. Now the true organized, disciplined and well funded force over there is Muslim brotherhood. And if they come to power It's 1979 all over again for us. Plus BIG.problem for Israel . Cause we supplied Egyptians with a lot of guns.

Mubarak is a dictator, no question about it . But at least he is reasonable. There is no strong, organized, democratic, pro-western opposition in Egypt. Just a bunch of ppl who says they are. Now the true organized, disciplined and well funded force over there is Muslim brotherhood. And if they come to power It's 1979 all over again for us. Plus BIG.problem for Israel . Cause we supplied Egyptians with a lot of guns.

yeah, that's what people don't realize is when you run out one power it could be replaced by a worse power, I guess the people of Egypt figured it's better than an iron fisted dictator. Plus they say the same type of protests are going on in Yemen, Saudi Arabia, and a few others over there.

It's a shame really. The only real difference between an AK47 and my P.A.P. is the name, types of magazines it takes (which can be changed), and the stock (which can be changed).

sshhh. don't say that too loud. they might ban that too. Any "PAP type semiautomatic firearms" might be added to our wonderful list. LOL :facepalm:

Agreed don't think it will be allowed to go up that high that fast. We still have our "strategic" supplies as well. Altho we can expect traders to speculate in order to get that extra mill $ with their bonus....

On the separate note this is why I have "so much faith" in the humanity. Cause it is always good to see "the people" chant: we want freedom, we want liberty, we want democracy, human rights..... Oh damn ..... Chk it out, it's a bank/jewelry store/museum/momandpop store let's loot it, rob it and burn it..... Mob mentality has no race, no color, no faith , no rules .... Sad

Unless you have cheap access to firewood, and the proper way to process it.....a wood pellet stove will be better. Look into that. Wood pellets burn much hotter, and are more efficient than wood. Just remember that you can't buy a wood stove and burn wood pellets in it, a wood stove can't stand the heat. But I believe that you CAN buy a wood pellet stove and burn wood in it.

I heat almost entirely with a fireplace insert. I don't have a furnace.

I burn 7 cords a year, usually cutting and splitting 2-4 cords and buying the rest.

We have a Delonghi electric radiator that we keep in the kitchen, it stays on low.

If the power fails, I have a 12v Deep cycle battery and a 750watt inverter that will power the fans on the insert for quite some time. In a longer outage, I can fire up the 4000watt Generac. I also use the battery for the electric trap thrower so it gets used all year.

I like to keep the house warm...so I keep stuffing in firewood. During the ice storm in 2008 (http://thewellrats.com/malbor2/storm08/) my neighbors were stopping by to warm up since my house keep on chugging like there wasn't a problem.

Unless you have cheap access to firewood, and the proper way to process it.....a wood pellet stove will be better. Look into that. Wood pellets burn much hotter, and are more efficient than wood. Just remember that you can't buy a wood stove and burn wood pellets in it, a wood stove can't stand the heat. But I believe that you CAN buy a wood pellet stove and burn wood in it.

All the pellet stoves I've seen have a hopper and an auger system. There's simply no way you could burn firewood in them.

I'm not knocking pellet stoves but I know people who often times have trouble getting pellets as well.

My mom has one and frankly even on high, it doesn't put out anywhere near the heat of my fireplace insert. It's just not as messy, less maintenance as far as adding fuel and doesn't produce much ash at all.