the family man

helllllllllo

Welcome to the group.

Brick NJ here...a stone's throw from Pt. Pleasant.

guys...where do i get started?

permit process?

rolling into a store and getting my hands on something?

safety course?

Spend some time going through the threads. Many of your questions will be answered.

Hook up with some of the regular meetups to sample a bunch of different guns.

Get started on the FID/PPP process while you're gathering information.

Attend some more meetups.

Participate and ask questions.

By the time your paperwork comes in, you'll be well prepared.

In my case, Firearms Purchaser Identification Card (FPID or FID), then pistol permit applications. Once that arrived, went to Shore Shot to get familiar with semi-automatics using a 22LR, then a 9MM, then I ordered a 9MM and a gun/ammo safe and those arrived, the safety course last night and shot a couple of magazines through the new 9mm at Bullet Hole. More practice at Shore Shot on Saturday. Been asking questions here and on other forums, talking to folks at the ranges and at the gun shops over the past 3 months.

You can go to Shore Shot and rent guns to get a feel for waht you like. SS rental policy is one rental fee per caliber and you must use range ammo. Or you can meet us at SS on Tue nite and say high. Please whatever you do don't put any deposits on anything from Brick Armory.

You can go to Shore Shot and rent guns to get a feel for waht you like. SS rental policy is one rental fee per caliber and you must use range ammo. Or you can meet us at SS on Tue nite and say high. Please whatever you do don't put any deposits on anything from Brick Armory.

thanks Wolfy! maybe i'll head there and take a couple for a trial run. I assume they'll be helpful with someone who doesn't know sh*t?!?!

and, maybe i'll meet up with some of you guys on a tuesday night. That would be great.

Howdy,

Look around the forum for info on the FPID/Permiting process. Then get your application in as soon as you can. It will probably take between 3-6 months depending where you live.

While you are waiting taking a First Shots or Basic Pistol course would be a great idea. If you look down to the forum supporters there are some NRA certified trainers who offer these courses. The course may not be mandatory, but it will give you a lot of information and a lot more confidence when you go to shoot on your own.

Then head down to Shore Shot rent what you think you'll like to try. DO NOT do this on a Saturday!! Things get very busy and its harder to get some help if you have a problem.

Let the RO's know that you are new to shooting and they will give you tips and help you to be safe. The RO's are usually very helpful when the place isn't swamped with people.

Around here there are no stupid questions.

Well usually there are no stupid questions :icon_e_biggrin:

This one went down hill pretty quick.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/19454-thanx-njgf/page__view__findpost__p__256177__hl__pumpkin__fromsearch__1