kenw

Wal-Mart Bringing firearms/ammo back to half its stores

I personally wouldnt buy guns from Walmart or even Dicks for that matter, and in general avoid shopping there even though its the closest thing to my house. I would buy ammo from Walmart though as I heard they have the best prices for ammo.

I am not surprised since Federally tracked gun sales rose more than 12.6% in the first quarter, demonstrating the strongest year-over-year growth rate for the gun industry in three years. The data is drawn from sales in gun stores that require a federal background check. In March, gun sales jumped 15% alone.

:triniti:

• Like 1

I am not surprised since Federally tracked gun sales rose more than 12.6% in the first quarter, demonstrating the strongest year-over-year growth rate for the gun industry in three years. The data is drawn from sales in gun stores that require a federal background check. In March, gun sales jumped 15% alone.

:triniti:

Got a link for that? Good info for a person I know that is interested.

I used to sell them when I worked at Walmart in college back in the 90's. As the prices were always good for the grade of the guns they were I would never buy one. I would rather support the local FFL's (mom and pop shop) if he prices were comparable. Now ammo yes... and hunting/fishing licenses I would love to see come back.

I read a few comments and one guy is arguing that making a firearms purchase should be done in a professional store and not a walmart, because it is a professional product. What? :facepalm:

I'm not going to name names, but I think many on here have mention at least one or two stores here in NJ that are far from professional. Just another look into how people can take reason and logic and push it aside to support their preconceived ideals I guess.

I read a few comments and one guy is arguing that making a firearms purchase should be done in a professional store and not a walmart, because it is a professional product. What? :facepalm:

I'm not going to name names, but I think many on here have mention at least one or two stores here in NJ that are far from professional. Just another look into how people can take reason and logic and push it aside to support their preconceived ideals I guess.

I read "professional" to mean "specialty" in that post meaning why buy something of such a specialized nature at a super-store where you are not likely to get the kind of insight and advice you might get at the specialty shop. I know the few times I've asked someone at Dick's for advice, the answers I got depended on who was working the counter.

I read "professional" to mean "specialty" in that post meaning why buy something of such a specialized nature at a super-store where you are not likely to get the kind of insight and advice you might get at the specialty shop. I know the few times I've asked someone at Dick's for advice, the answers I got depended on who was working the counter.

my point exactly these stores that keep getting talked about it depends on who and what you ask about to get good advice. Just because a store specializes in selling only one thing, doesn't by default make the sales people good at their job.

I know the few times I've asked someone at Dick's for advice, the answers I got depended on who was working the counter.

Or Best Buy or Staples or a Car Dealer for that matter...

I found a woman working the gun counter at a WalMart in the south who not only knew about guns, but knew more than I did. The lever action Henry 22 is priced the lowest at WalMart. I would not hesitate to buy a gun there.

• Like 2

This is really of no consequence as due to NJ requiring a state license to sell firearms/ammunition, coupled with the fact that NJ's FID requirement presents a burden that Wal-Mart would rather not have its employees undertake. Sprinkle a healthy reminder that most people in NJ abhor guns and you can quickly see why you'll never see even a Red Ryder at a Wal Mart east of the Delaware River.

That said, maybe instead of FFLs friggin crying so much, they ought to provide better service. Don't want me to go buy a Mossberg 500 for $193 at Wal Mart? Then quit thinking I'm stupid enough to buy it for $390 at your shop and talking to customers like they're turds. That'd be a start.

• Like 3

Keep in mind that Walmart pays different prices for the firearms then your local dealer does, and can afford to make a lower margin and still be in business. If Walmart puts all the local dealers out of business and then decides that they don't really want to sell guns and ammo after all, you are left with nowhere to go. One marketing VP and a bunch of bobble heads can make that decision over coffee one afternoon and affect hundreds of stores. One terrible business decision or a huge lawsuit and a giant chain can fold (Kmart anyone?), but it takes a lot more to close a lot of small shops.

I used to sell them when I worked at Walmart in college back in the 90's. As the prices were always good for the grade of the guns they were I would never buy one. I would rather support the local FFL's (mom and pop shop) if he prices were comparable. Now ammo yes... and hunting/fishing licenses I would love to see come back.

I'm fairly sure that all Walmarts in NJ sell hunting and fishing licenses. I know I have bought many (and deer permits) there.

Keep in mind that Walmart pays different prices for the firearms then your local dealer does, and can afford to make a lower margin and still be in business. If Walmart puts all the local dealers out of business and then decides that they don't really want to sell guns and ammo after all, you are left with nowhere to go. One marketing VP and a bunch of bobble heads can make that decision over coffee one afternoon and affect hundreds of stores. One terrible business decision or a huge lawsuit and a giant chain can fold (Kmart anyone?), but it takes a lot more to close a lot of small shops.

And this is exactly why i will never buy from wal-mart. They low ball companies into sell there products to them far below what there worth. Around here, you can just go to another store, or mom and pop shop. Some places are forced to deal with this crap because they have no other places to sell to for retail. What does this do? it results in cheap products and outsourcing.

When Wal-mart retails a product, they pick the price... not much negotiation. You want your product on our shelves? then sell to us at X price or take a hike. If your interested in deals, you can always find something online. Id rather support some shop out in PA selling cheap bulk ammo then walmart selling same ammo at a couple dollars difference.

Id rather support some shop out in PA selling cheap bulk ammo then walmart selling same ammo at a couple dollars difference.

Good for you. I can tell you for a fact that while the "awesome" mom and pop shops were raping people for ammo during the 2009 shortage, WalMart was not... But you're right, capitalism and buying power sucks. :rolleyes:

http://money.cnn.com/2011/04/28/news/companies/walmart_guns/

So they are bringing it to the stores where hunting is most popular... Being such a condensed state, Im sure there are more hunter per square mile than any other state. most likely bringing back that nice WWB back on the shelves for a nice price

Since i currently have no sponsors who support me in my shooting endeavors, I will look for the best deals when I am purchasing ammo or components.

I do try to shop at vendors that support USPSA when possible/necessary.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/04/28/news/companies/walmart_guns/

So they are bringing it to the stores where hunting is most popular... Being such a condensed state, Im sure there are more hunter per square mile than any other state. most likely bringing back that nice WWB back on the shelves for a nice price

They will not be bringing guns/ammo to NJ.

They can't.

In addition to an FFL, you need a license from NJSP to sell guns/ammo. Wal Mart won't get it.

On top of that, requiring FID to purchase of ammo places an undue burden on the employees, and presents massive liability issues if a badly-trained employee sells ammunition to a customer without logging an FID. Many times the sporting goods counter is busy, staff's on break, late at night etc. and someone from another dept. just comes over and rings you up, in America. Or you just grab that 12ga bulk pack and pay for it at one of the main registers along with your shampoo and pack of socks. Not in NJ. Wal Mart will not risk it here.

• Like 1

They can't.

In addition to an FFL, you need a license from NJSP to sell guns/ammo. Wal Mart won't get it.

On top of that, requiring FID to purchase of ammo places an undue burden on the employees, and presents massive liability issues if a badly-trained employee sells ammunition to a customer without logging an FID. Many times the sporting goods counter is busy, staff's on break, late at night etc. and someone from another dept. just comes over and rings you up, in America. Or you just grab that 12ga bulk pack and pay for it at one of the main registers along with your shampoo and pack of socks. Not in NJ. Wal Mart will not risk it here.

Exactly. I was thinking the same thing, just too lazy to type it all up

They can't.

License withstanding, the FPID is only required for handgun ammo purchases. 12GA shotgun does not require a FID. In PA walmarts, all of the ammo is locked up except for 12/20Ga packs. If they did that here, they would be fine.

Boy do I hate walmart, but if they had cheap ammo you can bet your a** I would be buying a bunch.

I avoid Walmart like a service station toilet but would gladly patronize their ammo cages if the price is right.