BRaptor

Newark Recognizes that Guns with Private Citizens will Reduce Crime

Link to News Story

The Newark City Council unanimously approved a new ordinance that would require certain restaurants to post armed guards after 9 p.m.

Yeah, yeah, I know, it's not "Joe Citizen," but Newark is beginning to get the idea that arms in the hands of the good guys might actually REDUCE crime. :thsmiley_deadhorse:

Or the city council is trying to drive businesses to close at 9 p.m.. :icon_e_sad:

The Newark City Council unanimously approved a new ordinance that would require certain restaurants to post armed guards after 9 p.m.

This is a much better option...

Or the city council is trying to drive businesses to close at 9 p.m.. :icon_e_sad:

Than this. Running away from crime is going to do NOTHING to stop it from happening. It needs to be met with an equal amount of force in order to deter it. I'm glad that SOMEBODY is starting to see the picture...

Exactly! Make a few bucks and maybe pop a few crack heads too. When I was a kid in East Orange in the late 60s, we had a cop that worked part time in the retail establishment I worked at. He always open carried a snub nose .38. We NEVER had any problems in the store and never got robbed! Aahh, I miss the good old days.

I live right by Newark and I've seen what goes on in certain areas of the city. This will probably result in unnecessary murder. Who's better equipt for a gun fight? Some thugs who have been around guns their whole lives or some 60 year old security guard that barely knows how to handle his weapon considering he only took a 48 class and probably never shot after that? Either the guard is gonna get killed as well as the store owner or the guards just gonna start shooting possibly taking out innocent civilians.

Government should not be telling business how to run their business or delegating crime prevention to a private business. I don't see this law surviving a constitutional challenge.

This is NJ.

NJ does not recognize the Constitution, unless it is in the interest of the State.

• Like 1

BINGO!!!

Obviously these restaurants won't have the funds to support armed guards.

And if I know NJ, said restaurants will be held liable if said security guards actually pull some triggers on the clock.

I live right by Newark and I've seen what goes on in certain areas of the city. This will probably result in unnecessary murder. Who's better equipt for a gun fight? Some thugs who have been around guns their whole lives or some 60 year old security guard that barely knows how to handle his weapon considering he only took a 48 class and probably never shot after that? Either the guard is gonna get killed as well as the store owner or the guards just gonna start shooting possibly taking out innocent civilians.

There are people and places that frequent this board that offer training. Seems good for business.

There are people and places that frequent this board that offer training. Seems good for business.

True, but I've worked security, its always the typical old hetian guy that sleeps for half his shift. That guy doesn't go to training or do anything that might cost yikes an extra dollar.

All this means is that only large restaurants will be able to afford to survive. And the cost of the trained guards will be passed straight on to the consumer. I'm guessing $3.00 per entree??

We'll see if it goes down or passes, what's gonna happen. I frequent the Ironbound, and the locals don't think about going to dinner until 7 pm or so, cause that's when all of the nicer places get busy. So the 9 pm thing is a little ill-conceived to say the least.........

All this means is that only large restaurants will be able to afford to survive. And the cost of the trained guards will be passed straight on to the consumer. I'm guessing $3.00 per entree??

We'll see if it goes down or passes, what's gonna happen. I frequent the Ironbound, and the locals don't think about going to dinner until 7 pm or so, cause that's when all of the nicer places get busy. So the 9 pm thing is a little ill-conceived to say the least.........

I heard about this on 1010WINS this morning. Supposedly, it only affects take out joints in the bad part of town........

I think is absolutely wrong dump the responsibility of public safety on the business owners, they already are paying taxes for that. And in my opinion that doesn't imply they are recognizing the right of self defense at all, if that was the case they should be lobbing for ccw. Is just some stupid bright idea to try to justify their useless position as a public employees.

As crowded & close together as some as those store fronts are, you'd be lucky if adjoining joints don't have to tell their guards to stop playing cards or BSing with each other.

The 9 pm thing in the bad side of town is an "after dark" measure. Some of the crowd that frequents those places doesn't work anyway, so they can get there & leave prior to the "bewitching hour" LOL!

So, the restaurants that can least afford it, the ones on very small margins, are the ones targeted for discriminatory legislation. Nice way to drive businesses out of the depressed areas.

I can't see this law holding up in court.

I think I heard it will only impact restaurants that have seating for 20 or less customers, so your spot on with larger restaurants not being effected being they wouldn't need to have armed security.

Harry

I heard about this on 1010WINS this morning. Supposedly, it only affects take out joints in the bad part of town........

My legal knowledge is rusty, and I will ask my wife in the morning, but I am pretty sure you cannot single out SOME businesses and require them to do something. Furthermore, there is NO WAY this would ever get passed. The chance of a guard actually shooting someone are quite high in Newark and they are NOT police...so,

1)You would see a TON of arrests on the guards

2)Owners liable for millions if the shooting was "vague."

Never gonna happen...

Ghandi proved your statement false. Violence should be a last resort is reasoning fails.

If that was the case then why does violence still get more things done in one instant than the collection of nonviolent reasoning that has ever been done. In an ideal world your statement would be legitimate (and I so wish it were so) but here is a case history:

• U.S. Independence - violent
  • Civil War - violent
  • W.W. I - violent
  • W.W. II - violent
  • Korea
  • Vietnam - violent
  • Desert Storm - violent
  • Operation Iraqi Freedom - violent

Now if we get into particulars there are numerous examples of where violence has trumped peaceful negotiations. The French Revolution, Haitian slave revolts, hell even our own fight for civil liberties was not peaceful, I'm sure there are a few elderly gentleman of these forums that may remember the water cannons and police dogs during that era. The only reason the Civil Rights Act passed on April 11th was because MLK was assassinated on April 4th. If you want anything done, bring the pain otherwise you will be sitting there talking about diplomacy and what you want till you turn blue in the face.

In regards to Newark posting this new city ordinance, it's disgusting that the private sector has to take over for the basic needs of the citizens. I wish there was a way to hire more police in Newark, I used to live there and lord knows the town needs as many cops as possible.

Anthony I do agree with you to some degree. But you're missing one important fact..... Peaceful change is what you do when facing superior firepower :icon_mrgreen: Honestly though, I don't think the African American community had enough people, or weapons to truly start a "violent" revolution and get out of it alive. I also don't think it would have helped their cause too much. This is a touchy subject, so I don't plan to comment too much more on it....but I think there's times for peaceful movements as well.

Anthony I do agree with you to some degree. But you're missing one important fact..... Peaceful change is what you do when facing superior firepower :icon_mrgreen: Honestly though, I don't think the African American community had enough people, or weapons to truly start a "violent" revolution and get out of it alive. I also don't think it would have helped their cause too much. This is a touchy subject, so I don't plan to comment too much more on it....but I think there's times for peaceful movements as well.

I agree with you on the peaceful movements, I wish that is the way the world works and it is just sad how history proves that although we are working towards non violent means, we are not fully there yet. Nuff said, and once again fooey on Newark. :)