bbk

Yet Another Home Invasion

But you racked a shotty with a burglar outside. There is nothing that say he wouldn't have run if you just said "hey you."

The point is, does it always work. I don't beleive it.

It WORKED when I needed it to, and that's ALL I care about! No holes or blood in the floor, walls or ceiling. Nothing to repair! Didn't even have to file a Police report.

As far as the "hey you" goes, I know this for sure: the sound (with open windows) of my pump coming into battery caused him to run like the wind after bolting off of my porch! It was surreal, almost like a cartoon, with his feet runnin' before they hit the ground. He ran across my yard, and all of the way across a divided highway, scaling a double K-rail in a single bound as if doing a broad jump. I live on a highway in a house with lots of windows and saw the whole thing myself.

I'm not saying it will work every time! But why not give it a try? If it doesn't work he's still lookin' at the business end of a 12 ga. and I have plenty of time with him still on the OUTSIDE! I just hope that you guys never have to go through what I did that night to protect my family. Bottom line, I eliminated the threat without firing a shot! In my book that's a WIN-WIN!

• Like 2

umm well yea, it is kinda. For me anyway.

Noise discipline.

So you're saying that once someone is trying to break into your house, you'd rather start a shootout instead of scaring off the perp? All of a sudden you're "on the hunt"?

Dogs are the secret weapon when you have kid considerations in the house. I have two dogs. They sleep on each side of my bed. One barks on sound, the other on sight and or sound where it clearly doesnt belong. About a month and a half ago someone tried to come in my front door rapidly at 2am. BOTH dogs bolted for the front door. This gave me enough time to retrieve the 1911 from the quick access safe (kids remember) and head for the front door. But two dogs going buck wild sent whomever it was hightailing their a** out of my AO! After action assessment, everything was in place and went as planned except for 1 thing. Dogs alerted timely, check , retrieval from safe, check, cell phone on nightstand, check, ok who took my damn flashlight to find the remote again!!!!! Need to finish that railed 1911 build so I can mount that surefire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smokin .50- You did good. I said the exact same thing in previous posts.

You know there is a but coming... Should have filed a police report!

Well, yeah, I guess you're right. I didn't get a good look at him and could only guess height & weight & clothes---not much help for the cops. He was runnin away from the house, so I couldn't ID him in a crowd of one. I did see a cop friend of mine the next day or so and I told him what happened, so I guess they spread the word "unofficially" to keep an eye on the place.

Thanks for sayin' I did good. After-all I wasn't trying to execute the guy, just make him NOT want to go any further.

It WORKED when I needed it to, and that's ALL I care about! No holes or blood in the floor, walls or ceiling. Nothing to repair! Didn't even have to file a Police report.

As far as the "hey you" goes, I know this for sure: the sound (with open windows) of my pump coming into battery caused him to run like the wind after bolting off of my porch! It was surreal, almost like a cartoon, with his feet runnin' before they hit the ground. He ran across my yard, and all of the way across a divided highway, scaling a double K-rail in a single bound as if doing a broad jump. I live on a highway in a house with lots of windows and saw the whole thing myself.

I'm not saying it will work every time! But why not give it a try? If it doesn't work he's still lookin' at the business end of a 12 ga. and I have plenty of time with him still on the OUTSIDE! I just hope that you guys never have to go through what I did that night to protect my family. Bottom line, I eliminated the threat without firing a shot! In my book that's a WIN-WIN!

Holy exclamation points..

I'm sorry, did every one think I meant i'd rather come out shooting?

Rack away all you like. I'm just saying that it isn't always the best thing to do.

Its no magic wand. I think we all agree with that - nothing more, nothing less.

You mentioned "noise discipline". Are you trying to get the drop on the burglar?

From the article

Four men carrying guns and knives followed a township family home Sunday night, tied them up...

what "burglar" are you talking about?

Y'all want to rack it and assume there is one "burglar," and he will probably skee-daddle go right ahead. I prefer not giving away anything unless I have too. Call me crazy.

• Like 1

From the article

what "burglar" are you talking about?

Y'all want to rack it and assume there is one "burglar," and he will probably skee-daddle go right ahead. I prefer not giving away anything unless I have too. Call me crazy.

The only thing I want them to hear is the howling of the demons who come to reap their black soul.

Dogs are the secret weapon when you have kid considerations in the house. I have two dogs. They sleep on each side of my bed. One barks on sound, the other on sight and or sound where it clearly doesnt belong. About a month and a half ago someone tried to come in my front door rapidly at 2am. BOTH dogs bolted for the front door. This gave me enough time to retrieve the 1911 from the quick access safe (kids remember) and head for the front door. But two dogs going buck wild sent whomever it was hightailing their a** out of my AO! After action assessment, everything was in place and went as planned except for 1 thing. Dogs alerted timely, check , retrieval from safe, check, cell phone on nightstand, check, ok who took my damn flashlight to find the remote again!!!!! Need to finish that railed 1911 build so I can mount that surefire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I keep a flashlight in the safe as well as on top of the safe ( kids too).

I was going for Ghost, circa 1990.

Haha, I was about to say something, and then the Ghost reference definitely made it all make sense :icon_mrgreen:

On a related note to the OP, I can tell things are a bit high strung, even in my town (that neighbors, though considers itself a part of the same community as West Windsor). Just on my way back from my run, a police officer was driving through my neighborhood, in cruise-looking-for-something mode, passing me twice. I then saw what he was looking at, which was one of those old style Ford Econolines, which had been sitting empty on the side of my street (since at least 7ish when I got back from work). I was going to keep an eye on it and call it in if there was no activity with it within the next hour or so, but I guess one of my neighbors beat me to the punch.

Related to that, it is a bit odd for a van like that to be around. There are no markings, and even if it was a work van, it would have been long gone by now. Does the heightened awareness for the peculiar right now add some paranoia? Definitely.

If something happens regarding it, I'll keep you all appraised, as it is literally 200 ft away from my home.

To add, more information regarding the incident in the latest article. Apparently the BGs came through the garage as the family was closing the garage door (as they are rigged to stop closing if you trip the laser). One had a pistol, and the others grabbed knives from the victims' kitchen. According to the story, the father lives and works in NYC, and hence the reason why he wasn't home (as the mother and daughter were actually coming back from visiting him).

Story also says the BGs were in and out in 20 minutes-- so, definitely a targeted home, and the fact that they, seemingly, knew where to go means they did their homework and it might have been well orchestrated.

While being on the defensive always gives us the advantage, I could imagine that even with a well thought-out defensive plan, this would have been a difficult situation. From the details though, if the mother had been allowed to CCW, maybe the family would have had a chance. Maybe if the son was the type who walked around with a pistol on his person's when at home, they would have had a chance. Truth is that this is a sleepy town, and the worst we get are DUIs, maybe some petty larceny or vandalism. I'm not using that as an excuse of why people aren't carrying when they can, but it is just something that doesn't come up that much in my town.

Ultimately, I'm just glad that this was just a burglary and not a homicide as well.

Just 2 weeks ago a house down the street was broken into in the middle of the night, they demanded money but didn't take anything, but they beat the homeowner into a hospital and then left. LOCATION: FRANKLIN LAKES.. The worst places to get hit are sometimes the least expected...

and I have plenty of time with him still on the OUTSIDE!

I'm with you Dave, hearing that should put a big question in who every may be trying to break in and like you said if not you still just loaded a lead gift to be delivered if needed.

Sorry but I was thinking when I read this over again and now that I got the above statement out of the way I have to bust your chops:

Dave, you scared Ed McMahon away, you missed you PCH check.:sarcastichand:

Harry

Harry,

You chop-buster! They'd have to dig him up outta the ground to make the delivery!

After living through the Hell on Iwo Jima, Ed would know enough to properly announce himself. Ed was part of the 1st Marine Division. Rest well warrior & Semper Fi!

Dave

Ultimately, I'm just glad that this was just a burglary and not a homicide as well.

I'm really not this nit-picky in real life I swear, but this wasn't a burglary, this was a robbery.

Robbers and burglars are two differnt things. Both involve taking something from you, but one has the intent of using or threatening to use force. :icon_e_ugeek:

I'm really not this nit-picky in real life I swear, but this wasn't a burglary, this was a robbery.

Robbers and burglars are two differnt things. Both involve taking something from you, but one has the intent of using or threatening to use force. :icon_e_ugeek:

True, my bad.

Not to be nit-picky, but you misspelled 'differnt' :icon_mrgreen: