Underdog

Good Striker Fired or Hammer Defense Gun

Why is it so hard to try and find a dependable, reasonably priced defensive handgun with a 13 to 15-round magazine that will fit small to medium hands, that comes in 9mm, and that has an external safety and removable, upgradable sights?

I have considered the SR9, but there just is something about it I don't like. I have considered the FNH FNP, but I like the FNX, better. I have considered the FNH FNX, but it is impossible to get in NJ due to magazine sizes. Most of the Hi-cap nines are moving into the 16 plus range for magazines, so I am stuck with either nothing or the 10-rounder for California and such. I like the Glock 19, but it has no factory safety and the grip is just a little too big. I have considered a 1911 in 9mm, but I am unfamiliar with them. Does anybody have any other suggestions.

Mark - he said EXTERNAL SAFETY which the XD9 doesn't have.

Singlesix - what's wrong with the safety God gave you? Now that we got that out of the way...

Have you looked at a S&W M&P? http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_766226_-1_757753_757752_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Why is it so hard to try and find a dependable, reasonably priced defensive handgun with a 13 to 15-round magazine that will fit small to medium hands, that comes in 9mm, and that has an external safety and removable, upgradable sights?

I have considered the SR9, but there just is something about it I don't like. I have considered the FNH FNP, but I like the FNX, better. I have considered the FNH FNX, but it is impossible to get in NJ due to magazine sizes. Most of the Hi-cap nines are moving into the 16 plus range for magazines, so I am stuck with either nothing or the 10-rounder for California and such. I like the Glock 19, but it has no factory safety and the grip is just a little too big. I have considered a 1911 in 9mm, but I am unfamiliar with them. Does anybody have any other suggestions.

Was the Glock 19 you tried a Gen4? I understand that the grip and trigger reach on the Gen4 is noticeably smaller than the Gen3. You should also try an S&W M&P9 for feel. There is a version of the S&W M&P9 that has a thumb safety.

mp-pistol-tm.jpg

Try a Gen 4 GLOCK and learn to keep your booger picker off the bang switch and you don't need an additional safety as it has 3 internal safties already.

• Like 2

have you looked at the beretta px4 storm 9mm compact yet? it has backstraps to change the grip to 3 different sizes. a safety if you really want that, 15 round mags... I have one in .40cal full size, she shoots really nice, plus it's Italian made!

http://www.px4storm.us/px4storm_technicaldata.aspx

Try the Stoeger (Beretta) Cougar 9mm. Its a very well made, a bit on the smaller side and bargain priced. It does pack 15 rnds, external safety but has fixed sights.I think Meltzers in Garfield stocks them. Mags are also a good deal,$20 at CDNN.

If you say you like the Glock 19 shoot it and see how you like it then, there is no external safety but as long as you don't pull the trigger the gun won't fire anyway, safety is on the trigger.

External safety only does one thing, it make you have to move it on or off and you shouldn't have a finger on the trigger unless your ready to shoot anyway.

Harry

Browning Hi Power or any of the clones.

Not much wider than a 1911 in .45 ACP.

Beretta 92's won't fit small hands. Take it from a guy that's had to get people with small hands to qualify with the pistol. It can be done though, just like you can steer a car with your feet if you really had to.

If you're willing to drop down in mag capacity (7rds) there is the S&W CS line (formerly called Chiefs Special) or Ladysmith variants.

There is also the older S&W 5906 (15rds) and 6906 (12rds) pistols.

Hope that helps.

3 of the best. In my opinion, ofcourse.

Glock G 19 Gen 4 - 15rd, stiker fired, DOA, no external safety, adjustable backstraps

Beretta PX4 Compact 9mm (not sub compact)- 15rd, hammer fired, DA/SA, external safety/decocker, rotating barrel, adjustable backstraps

S&W M&P 9mm Full Size - "17rd but they make 15rd mags for NJ", stiker fired, DOA, with or without external safaties, adjustable backstraps

For small hands I find the S&W M&P series to fit the bill. It has the shortest reach to the trigger, very comfortable. I own a M&P 40c and am very fond of the gun. My wife has small hands and it is the easiest one for her to shoot with the short trigger distance. I also own a Glock 19 Gen4. and a Beretta PX4 .40 full size.

That being said, if I could only have 1, it would be the Glock 19 Gen4. I can shoot 45rds (3mags) through the same 2" hole at 7yds with it.

post-2927-0-21522500-1313352482_thumb.jpg

post-2927-0-42941600-1313352503_thumb.jpg

Sheesh, everybody waiting for me to be the one to say it? OK - Sig Sauer P226. If you have small to medium hands you may want to consider either the E2 variant or the short trigger.

No need for an external safety, there are four integral safeties: Decocker; Hammer intercept notch; Firing pin block; Trigger bar disconnector. As a matter of fact, in the aborted SOCOM trials, the specs called for an external safety - Sig was the only manufacturer allowed to take an exception because of the their four integral safeties.

All kinds of variations from bread & butter to all the bells & whistles and a 15 round mag capacity (9mm) ta'boot.

OK, I'm done.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Beretta PX4 Compact 9mm (not sub compact)- 15rd, hammer fired, DA/SA, external safety/decocker, rotating barrel, adjustable backstraps

Curious - why the compact and not the full size?

The full size you can replace the sights and you have a much easier time trying to find a holster that will fit. The Px4 Compact, the front sight cannot be changed to Trijicons or other as there are none that fit properly yet.

Sheesh, everybody waiting for me to be the one to say it? OK - Sig Sauer P226. If you have small to medium hands you may want to consider either the E2 variant or the short trigger.

No need for an external safety, there are four integral safeties: Decocker; Hammer intercept notch; Firing pin block; Trigger bar disconnector. As a matter of fact, in the aborted SOCOM trials, the specs called for an external safety - Sig was the only manufacturer allowed to take an exception because of the their four integral safeties.

All kinds of variations from bread & butter to all the bells & whistles and a 15 round mag capacity (9mm) ta'boot.

OK, I'm done.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

OP said reasonably priced. The 226 feels bigger than the Glock 19 to me.

Curious - why the compact and not the full size?

The full size you can replace the sights and you have a much easier time trying to find a holster that will fit. The Px4 Compact, the front sight cannot be changed to Trijicons or other as there are none that fit properly yet.

Well in the OP the guy is looking at the Glock 19 which is the compact model, so I figured I recommend compact models. I know the Beretta is new and parts and holsters are not that available yet, but they will be eventually. I wanted to give a excellent, reasonably priced (unilke sigs), reliable, hammer fired example that held 15rds of 9mm. I dont like to recommend full size 9mm pistols to NJ residents as we are limited to 15rds and most full size these days are 17rd. Having a 17rd gun with a 15rd mag dosent make sense to me. If the OP was considering .40 I would recommend the full size PX4 (14+1). And the only reason I recommended the full size M&P is because they dont make a 15rd compact like Beretta and Glock, but it does have the shortest trigger reach distance which will help with small hands. Also, the M&P 9c (acatually more of a sub-compact)only holds 12rds, whereas the op asked for 13-15rds, so that eliminated that option.

I could also recommend the Beretta SubCompact 9mm 13rd (which I have and really like), but the grip is fat and the trigger reach is the furthest of all my pistols.

Beretta has 15 rounders for the Px4 fullsize too - it's not like it's really neutered.

True. But I feel I don't need the extra pistol size for the same amount of rounds of the smaller compact version. The PX4 compact also retains the same rotating barrel action as the full size (unlike the subcompact) and it will fit most of the full size PX4 holsters. Night sights will be availabe shortly. If night sights are needed immediatly and is a deal breaker, then forget it for now.

Living in NJ with 15rd restrictions only makes sense to buy .40 in full size (in my opinion ofcourse). With the exception of the Beretta 92, which is standard full size 15rd 9mm.

Living in NJ with 15rd restrictions only makes sense to buy .40 in full size (in my opinion ofcourse). With the exception of the Beretta 92, which is standard full size 15rd 9mm.

I would rather have the 9mm just for cost of shooting, also for a new shooter the 9mm is a less snappy round than the .40 so learning how to shoot might be a little easier.

Harry

I would rather have the 9mm just for cost of shooting, also for a new shooter the 9mm is a less snappy round than the .40 so learning how to shoot might be a little easier.

Harry

I agree 9mm is cheaper and easier to learn with. But I would buy a 15rd compact frame autoloader rather than a stopped down full size. Heck that Beretta PX4 SubCompact 9mm I have feels like im shooting a .22lr.

The M&P 9mm with thumb safety exactly fits all of your requirements. It is available with a 15 round magazine specifically for New Jersey. S&W part number 39498, it's not advertised but available if you call S&W or better, from G&R Tactical: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=39498

I understand many NJ dealers will NOT sell the pistol with the 15 round magazines, making you buy it with the 10-rounders. I am not sure if that's the case but G&R will sell you the pistol with the correct NJ magazine, and with great service and price.

G&R will also install Apex Tactical parts and upgraded sights if you want.

I agree that the M&P 9mm with the safety is an awesome gun.

I would also say that Pizza Bon gave good advice. Although I think the p229 would be a better fit. It is inline with the size of a glock 19. Even better would be a CPO p228 which is the best gun on the face of this earth.