lunker

Good Digital SLR Camera

I want to buy a digital SLR camera for my fiance as a wedding gift. I am looking to spend about a grand. She has been in interested in photography for a long time and wants a camera that will grow with her (although her skills now are very basic). I don't want to spend the money on a camera package with a few nice lenses. I would like a really nice camera that she will never need to replace because it's "not enough camera". Can the professionals and enthusiasts point me towards a model or models I should be looking at and what I should be avoiding? Thanks in advance.

There is a lot out there, but if your sweetie will be pursuing this further, I would suggest either a Canon or a Nikon. I am not sure about the new models and features and such, but you can find out a lot of information at Photo.net. I would suggest that if you don't have any lenses, yet, that you strongly consider a Canon system. I have an ancient Canon 10D, but it is awesome. Look at the Canon 60D. If you want to go a cheaper route, you can get the Rebel and it will take awesome photos as well, but the interface isn't as easy to manipulate. It might actually be better to get a Rebel and get a better lens. Lenses are the expensive part in the long run, but a couple good lenses will go a long way. But, you get the camera now, and then when Christmas comes you get a lens, etc. A Canon will require a lot of time and such invested in it to get it to do amazing things. If she won't want to take that time to learn up on it, then a point and shoot might be a better option.

Nikon D700 all the way, full frame. She'll never get bored with that.

Jackdawack... I say Canon all the way! I bet you have a .45 ACP as well? However, I like the 9mm.

Actually, photography is a very expensive hobby. An older framed body with some good glass will go a long way!

Jackdawack... I say Canon all the way! I bet you have a .45 ACP as well? However, I like the 9mm.

Actually, photography is a very expensive hobby. An older framed body with some good glass will go a long way!

Nothing wrong with cannon. HD video is always a plus.

I have a canon 40D and few lenses and can basically shoot just about anything, I have done random nature shoots to taking pictures of antiques to go to auction. You can pick up a new old stock or lightly used 40d with some lenses for around $500 they have the newer models which are better some do video but will cost well over 1k for just the body. Here is some random photos Ive done, this camera makes a bottle of mouth wash look special(I did this as a joke).

6040358721_3d297e20bc.jpg

6040909554_a43ba6636a.jpg

6040359443_d6e6bdb356.jpg

6040359093_1f8ae7d87e.jpg

I am a nikon person myself.

=)

Other options, Pentax. Best of all, you can use any pentax lenses, both digital and tradition slr.

Some lower end SLR's from Nikon/Pentax require the new lenses.

Both Canon and Nikon are good, its the whole M&P vs Glock thing. Both good, its about preference.

I am a nikon person myself.

=)

Other options, Pentax. Best of all, you can use any pentax lenses, both digital and tradition slr.

Some lower end SLR's from Nikon/Pentax require the new lenses.

Both Canon and Nikon are good, its the whole M&P vs Glock thing. Both good, its about preference.

This. You will find that the Canon vs Nikon thing whomever you ask.

Wife has D60 - be aware that only recently have the SLR's gone over to "picture preview" on the LCD screen and the D60 did not have this feature. IE in order to view what you wanted to photograph you HAD to look through the viewfinder unlike the point-and-shoots where you could use the LCD on the back of the camera. The newer models (not sure which ones) have added this feature back into the digital SLR's. This was a large issue for my wife but she has since overcome it. In some cases, the camera is "sub-moa" with a non-sub-moa shooter behind the shutter IYKWIM.

Canon all the way. You can get her a Canon Rebel T2i with the 18-55mm IS lens for $750. That lens will be good enough for a while. I would also get a 50mm prime lens (50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8) and a telephoto zoom lens (55-200mm)

+1

This is what my wife bought, and it works like a dream. She's been into amateur photography for years, and has a nice collection of lenses that are compatible, but uses an 18-200mm Tamron lens most of the time.

Plus it shoots video as well.

I shoot with a Nikon D80 (you can browse my pictures on facebook).. obviously there is a "newer" camera than a D80.. but I am really happy with my Nikon.. I have had time behind the canon equivalent.. just skimmed through this thread.. but IMO we will each tell you to get what we have.. they are BOTH great cameras.. and BOTH will serve the purpose you have described IMO.. also if she is a novice.. you may want to pick up a book or two.. while these cameras do have an "auto" mode.. they are not really made for that.. I think the lens is just as if not more important than the camera.. if someone were buying one today and had a "budget" I would personally use that budget to get a camera.. then a basic walk around lens, coupled with something that would allow me to shoot a little further (think sporting events, concerts, wildlife, etc..).. I have a pretty nice camera.. but there have been plenty of instances where the basic walk around lens limited my use.. I am no professional.. but that is just my 2 cents..

I've had Canon and Nikon SLR cameras the past few years. They are both great "systems" and that is what you have to remember, you are buying a "system" of photography not just a camera. Also remember that camera bodies get outdated with time since improved features like higher frame rates, clearer ISO, and increased MP are showing up on the next model. A main thing to consider is the lens system available to that body. Good glass can last many, many years while you will eventually grow out of a camera body in less then 5 years. Nikon has certain lenses that blow away Canon and some Canon lenses cant be touched by Nikon's offerings. If she is starting out then a wide range zoom lens like a 35-135mm is probably her best best. Both companies offer a pretty good one.

I want to buy a digital SLR camera for my fiance as a wedding gift. I am looking to spend about a grand. She has been in interested in photography for a long time and wants a camera that will grow with her (although her skills now are very basic). I don't want to spend the money on a camera package with a few nice lenses. I would like a really nice camera that she will never need to replace because it's "not enough camera". Can the professionals and enthusiasts point me towards a model or models I should be looking at and what I should be avoiding? Thanks in advance.

Lunker,

I have been into photography for 40 years. Started out on my High School yearbook and newspaper. I grew up using a Minolta platform and then needed something more. I compared Canon and Nikon and shot thousands of pictures with both. I chose Nikon because I liked the balance better and the controls seemed to be better laid out and more intuitive. It was easier to transition for me. I switched to Nikon 25 years ago and more recently had been using a D70, traded up to a D200 and traded up again to a D300. For my type of photography and for the money, I could not justify anything more due to price. The D300 is a very capable camera and has so may features I am never bored with it and always finding out how to learn to use more of it's advanced features. I will typically shoot between 2,000 and 3,000 pictures a week while traveling. The Nikon D700 will run about $2,900 with a basic lens while the D300 will run about $1,600 with the basic lens. Since I traded up to the D300 I have been adding lenses for close-ups, telephoto shots and a zoom lens. I enjoy the zoom lens because I can shoot a variety of shots, both close-up and telephoto with the one lens. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I can send you links to some of my galleries on the web if you would like to look at some of the results.:read:

http://www.nikonusa....SLR_Compare.pdf

Absolutely the wrong way of looking at it. A body has at best a lifespan of a couple hundred thousand shutter clicks before it has to be refurbished. If you are into action shots, you can go through that VERY fast. My first body was rated for 100k + clicks. I got out to maybe 4 "actiony" things a year, plus a couple of picture taking trips and some in home stuff to mess with controlled lighting. I got it up to 80,000 clicks in 3 years.

On the other hand, I have some good old glass that is 20+ years old.

I shoot pentax, as i like the in body stabilization, the ability to use even old screw mount lenses, i agree with their engineers about how much processing should be done to an image before it leaves the camera (not much), and there used to be lots of good, affordable used glass out there. That's drying up.

The down side is that you are pretty much stuck buying online or visiting B&H or adorama in the flesh, and the flash system is craptastic. Also the company is always flirting with financial ruin, although it seems ot have mroe lives than a lucky cat.

Regardless of what you buy, for the body, what is worth spending money on is high iso performance. Good high iso performance means you can take a lot of pictures you might otherwise miss.

I have a pentax k-5 currently, and it'll go up to iso 51,200, which is insane. It doesn't look nice, but for some technical stuff it is useful. However, iso 3200 on it is absolutely amazing, and 6400 is pretty usable.

If pentax went poof, I'd probably go with a nikon d7000.

+1 for Nikon. I currently have a D60 with 4 different Nikon and Tamron lenses. I'm just a novice when it come to photography but I've been able to take some really good shots (including a few that I've posted here) with this camera. Between the photography and the guns....I'm always broke! :sarcastichand:

Whatever you do choose, make sure you check out the prices at www.bhphotovideo.com. Great prices, and I'm in northern Jersey, so it's convenient for me.

You can order online and pick up at their store, if I remember correctly. They are in Manhattan, so make a day of it, see the sights. (Not open on Saturdays)

My gf got me a Canon T2i as a Christmas/anniv gift, so another vote for that. I have always been into photography and was limited with my Sony H10 Cybershot. The T2i is awesome, I am starting to learn different functions and whatnot and slowly progressing with my photography although I am still a beginner [with DSLR's.]