ClangClang

Body armor group purchase!

First of all, Maks if this is inappropriate, please delete it. Just trying to pass on some savings to everyone here. I've met a couple forum members (GunForHire, RayRay, dgp1000) and they've been nothing but generous with their time and advice so I'm doing what I can to pay it forward.

IF YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN BUYING A VEST PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE POST. YOUR QUESTION HAS MOST LIKELY BEEN ANSWERED.

If you are interested in purchasing a vest at 10% off with free shipping, read further. With the discount, vests start at $171 and go up from there.

Basic Info

I am an EMT with a squad in Bergen County and a number of our members, as well as some local paramedics, are putting in a group order on body armor. While I don't want to go blathering my agency info across the internets, I'm happy to provide agency info, my FID, my state EMT ID, etc as proof of my identity. Additionally, the 3 members listed above can confirm that I exist and am not a Nigerian scammer. I will also be at the OBRPC Zombie 3 Gun Match this weekend and presume I will meet a whole stack of other forum members who I imagine might be willing to testify that I'm a straight shooter (no pun intended). Finally, I have years and years of flawless Buy and Sell feedback on numerous online forums and ebay which I am happy to provide. (And to top it all off, I know not to screw over a bunch of gun owners haha!)

Armor is completely LEGAL to own in NJ if you are capable of owning a gun. Hence, if you do want to order, you'll need to be 18 or older and have a matching FID and driver's license. That's the only way I can protect myself from distributing vests to an ineligible party. I apologize in advance if this inconveniences anyone.

Why Do I Want A Vest?

• I work in a crappy neighboorhood
  • I shoot at a range with too many idiots
  • SHTF scenarios
  • The coming zombie invasion (I'm looking at you RayRay)
  • Why not?

Ballistics

For the intents of the vests available here, there are several levels of protection as rated by the National Institute of Justice (NIJ):

• Level I - Vietnam War flak vests. Not in use any more.
  • Level IIA - Most basic level of protection recommended to be used today. These vests are available in limited quantities. Average of 4mm thick. Rated to defeat 9 mm FMJ at ~1,090 fps or .357 Magnum JSP at ~1,250 fps
  • Level II - What most cops wear. Good compromise of safety, flexibility and concealability. Average of 5mm thick. Rated to defeat 9 mm FMJ at ~1,175 fps or .357 JSP at ~ 1,395 fps
  • Level IIIA - Most protection available in a soft vest before going to hard plates. Average of 8mm thick. Rated to defeat 9 mm FMJ at ~1,400 fps (e.g. sub-machine-gun velocity) or .44 Magnum Lead Semi-Wadcutter at ~1,400 fps
  • Level IV - Defeats some rifle rounds. Additional trauma plates must be worn on top of the vest to achieve this level of protection. More info below.

For a Level II vest, prices start at $190 for a used vest, $240 for a refurbished vest, and $360 for all brand new materials, all the way up to $600 for the state of the art, ultra thin, soft vests. It seems most people plan on purchasing refurbished Level II vests, myself included. You can then take 10% off these prices.

Ordering Process

Everyone will need to be measured and vests are custom sized for your measurements. On that note, used vests are NOT custom. You will only be able to buy used if they have one that fits your measurements in stock, however the vendor states that they have "thousands" of used vests and can fill most orders. You will need to provide me your measurements to get a vest. A guide with full color pictures is available to help you in making measurements.

www.bulletproofme.com is the vendor fulfilling this order. Anything you want on their website can be ordered through this group purchase and you will receive 10% (or possibly more, depending on final numbers) off your order. I encourage anyone interested in a vest to browse their website and see what's available. They have asked me to be the "point man" on this order, so if you have generic questions, please post them here instead of inundating them with phone calls. I've already spent a good deal of time on the phone with them. Anything I can't answer I will of course pass on to one of their sales reps.

I will be placing the order around the last week of September or first week of October. I have to take payment in full prior to the order going in. I can take either Paypal or personal check, your choice. I don't want to take payments just yet... I'm going to be doing a bit of traveling between now and then and don't want to take people's money when I'll be on the road and be in very limited contact - that's just bad form. Rest assured, BulletproofMe's 100% guarantee still applies - if you are not satisfied, they'll take a return, no questions asked within 14 days of delivery, less a 5% restocking fee.

When the vests are shipped to me you can pick them up from me in Bergen County, and I will also be happy to meet you at one of my local ranges - most likely BulletHole or something at Cherry Ridge. OBRPC is a possibility too. I probably won't drive further south than that though.

What now?

So to recap, if you're interested in a vest (or kevlar helmet, riot shield, ballistics blanket, etc) go check out www.bulletproofme.com and get an idea if anything interests you. And then post here (or PM me if you wish to remain private) if you're interested in anything. Also post your questions here so I can answer them because I'm sure everyone will benefit from reading them. As soon as the date gets closer, those who intend on making a purchase will get more info reagrding dates, measurements, payment, etc.

I think that covers everything. Whew.

• Like 1

What's the difference between a used and refurbished vest?

Used is actually used. Both the carrier and ballistic panels were owned and lightly used, and now are being sold to you. "In good condition, but some cosmetic wear on the outershell. Or we have replaced or repaired the outershell carrier so it looks Like-New - but you can see cosmetic sweat stains on the nylon shell to the ballistic panel. We wash the Polyester/Cotton outershell and deodorize the ballistic panel with Vest Guard"

Refurbished means Factory Inspected & Refurbished with new outershell to look Like-New.... you get a new carrier AKA outershell and the ballistic panels are inspected and recertified for full protection levels.

Is this regular concealable armor or an actual vest?

Everything under "Police Surplus" (AKA everything I've talked about) is standard concealable armor just like a police officer would wear. Cotton/Nylon outershell with ballistic panels front and back. Full wrap side protection under the arms (unless you specify differently). You can also specify whether you want pouches on the front and/or back of your carrier to hold additional plates... you can get a soft pad (increased ballistic protection and blunt trauma protection), a steel plate (increased stab/fist protection with moderate ballistic improvement), or a full ceramic rifle plate rated to defeat 7.62 and .30-06 rifle rounds.

So a refurbished Level II vest, which would be concealable and include underarm protection, would be $216, correct?

Correct, as long as you don't need one of the larger sizes. If you need a tall and/or XXL, the price goes up by $30, pre-discount.

any price break on rifle plates only through this group buy

Yup, same discount. Full products and pricing here: http://www.bulletproofme.com/Body_Armor_Accessories-SIDE-Rifle-Protection.shtml

Thank you for giving us an opportunity for this group discount. Totally OK with this, and thank you well ahead for taking a lead role in this. Will pin this topic while it is going. As this is a group buy, lets keep this discussion on topic.

Moderators, feel free to delete if you feel this is inappropriate:

This was recommended by Rob Pincus at the last NJ2AS meeting.

New Level IIIA for $199

https://uspalm.com/component/magebridge/us-palm-defender-slick.html?Itemid=102

That's only front armor protection. I would prefer protection on all sides. To add on a rear plate it's another $100 so $300 for just front/back protection with none on the sides.

What is the shelf life of these?

That was exactly going to be my question, if purchasing a refurb or used vest i would want to know how long it would be good for. I herd the average life of a vest used often is around 5 years and the less it's used the longer it will be good for.

That was exactly going to be my question, if purchasing a refurb or used vest i would want to know how long it would be good for. I herd the average life of a vest used often is around 5 years and the less it's used the longer it will be good for.

How its treated has even more to do with the life of the vest. Wash it in something with bleach weakens the fiber as does putting it away wet. If it was left on the backseat of a patrol car the UV can do a lot of damage. These are some of the reasons manufacturers put a 5 year life on the vest.

I've been told by chemists (not by vest manufacturers) that if you bought a new vest and put it on a shelf in a dark closet at room temperature for 10 years, there should be no degradation of the material.

The first vest I had I bought in 1976 (Level II) and used it or a daily or at least a regular basis until about 1982. I cared for it as per the manufacturers instructions. I decided to see if it would still work in 2001 (25 years old). It still stopped everything it was supposed to. These are my results others may vary.

The first vest I had I bought in 1976 (Level II) and used it or a daily or at least a regular basis until about 1982. I cared for it as per the manufacturers instructions. I decided to see if it would still work in 2001 (25 years old). It still stopped everything it was supposed to. These are my results others may vary.

8 years of of regular use, and then another 17 years of dormancy and still effective. I'm impressed!

As has been said, the lifespan of a vest depends on how well it was treated. Day to day use doesn't really degrade the protection, but improper washing and chemical/UV exposure are big no-no's. Refurbished vests have all been inspected by the manufacturer and recertified for another 5 years. I do not believe used vests carry this guarantee.

For more info, read it straight from the horse's mouth: How good are those police surplus vests?

Okay silly question, especially since it is a little off topic ( i already own a vest) if you got stopped on the way to a range with hollow points, or an AR and a vest, how do you think that would go over?

Not how it is "supposed to go" but how it might actually go over.

That's only front armor protection. I would prefer protection on all sides. To add on a rear plate it's another $100 so $300 for just front/back protection with none on the sides.

I hear you Nick, just pointing out for those that can afford it, this is new Level III-A compared to used or refurbed Level II.

Okay silly question, especially since it is a little off topic ( i already own a vest) if you got stopped on the way to a range with hollow points, or an AR and a vest, how do you think that would go over?

Not how it is "supposed to go" but how it might actually go over.

Well just don't get pulled over :sarcastichand:

In all honesty, I can't GUARANTEE how it would go....but I can't imagine that the body armor would look very good. Your best bet is to just strap it on before you leave the house, in my opinion. Out of sight, out of mind. Then you just need to worry about the actual firearms you're transporting. As I understand it....body armor is legal, BUT the use of body armor in the commission of a crime carries an extra charge.

Well just don't get pulled over :sarcastichand:

In all honesty, I can't GUARANTEE how it would go....but I can't imagine that the body armor would look very good. Your best bet is to just strap it on before you leave the house, in my opinion. Out of sight, out of mind. Then you just need to worry about the actual firearms you're transporting. As I understand it....body armor is legal, BUT the use of body armor in the commission of a crime carries an extra charge.

Personally, I would not wear the vest while transporting guns to the range. I would just leave it in the trunk with all my other stuff.

To me, wearing a vest looks more sketchy to a cop than having it in the back and saying you wear it when you go to the shooting range.

As long as you're not committing a crime, I think either way there shouldn't be any problems.

Agreed. Out of sight, out of mind. As long as your papers are in order, you dont have spent casings (or live ammo) rolling around on your backseat, and you aren't drunk, if you get pulled over, you'll usually walk away with a warning or even a ticket, but you wont have the cop asking to search your trunk.

Driving around with body armor, while not illegal, can certainly seem suspicious and can lead to a cop inquiring further. Even if everything in your trunk is 100% legal, half the cops don't know the law, and any cop feeling like being a jerk can ruin your entire month by citing or arresting you for something, even if it's total BS.

Wait... I have a class III vest at home for my protection... you mean to tell me that you HAVE to have an FPID and ID in order to legally wear one around NJ?

Of course not.

The restrictions on owning a firearm are very similar to the restrictions on owning a vest. Therefore, I am requesting that any buyers have an FID so that I can ensure that (at least, at some point in time) they were eligible to own a firearm, and therefore able to own a vest. In theory, I could be held criminally negligible for distributing vests to prohibited persons so this is the best measure of protection I can think of for myself to help mitigate that risk.

• Like 1

Bulletproofme has new level IIIA

IIIA is very bulky IMO. If you want some IIIA and maybe some plates (to bring to III or IV) for Red Dawn then go ahead. But Level II on your body is better than IIIA in your closet. The only difference is rifle length barrel 9mm and .44 magnum. Neither (II nor IIIA alone) stops rifle. I think if any of us are going to be running into rifle length barrel 9mm then we probably have bigger worries like rifles.

The real benefit of IIIA is it can use lighter plates to achieve Level III than the stand alone plates that are heavier and provide no side/neck/shoulder/etc. protection from frag.