Glock Guy

SHTF Disater, Goto Gun and Why?

Good point about getting the neighbors involved

I hope this doesn't sound cold, but in a situation like Katrina.....I'm worrying about me and mine, that's it. I've got an old man (my dad) to protect. Any close friends are welcome if they somehow happen to be at my house or in the area. That's it. No exceptions.

Handgun: HK USPc9 + lots of mags

Rifle: SKS paratrooper w/ folding stock + a bajillion loaded stripper clips

Quiet(hunting or...): Winchester 1906(pump able to be broken down) w/ subsonic .22 shorts

Before we get carried away reality check - 'real SHTF' is not going to happen in the US. In case of Katrina type of event or downfall of economy the government will disarm you. Yes, you can arm yourself to the tooth in your house but once you step out its a different ball game. If the national guard comes knocking at your door forcing you to evacuate they will not let you bear arms. Downfall of economy during great depression you did not see people walking in arms.

Just saying...

To answer the question probably conceal carry G23.

Against Zombies it's fine!

I KNOW you read World War Z!

Nope, didn't read it. And I'm not sure it would kill a zombie. UNLESS you had CCI Mini Mags in a rifle, then MAYBE. Not worth the risk. Stick with rifle calibers, shotguns and centerfire pistols.

if i had to build the near ideal zombie gun, it would be a 22, either traditional 10/22 style, or AR style, with some kind of beta mag setup. a good 22LR out of a rifle is more then enough to puncture a skull at 50yds. anything longer then that, and you either shouldnt be shooting them (hide or run), or use a full rifle caliber. 22 pistols are fine for up close/coup de grace. shotguns are NOT an ideal zombie gun. very limited ammo capacity, far too much recoil for fast follow up shots, you cant depend on any kind of buckshot to take out multiple Zs, and using slugs is again dealing with heavy recoil and very limited ammo. likewise, the 9mm is the ideal pistol. accurate, high ammo capacity, more then enough for headshot kills, and light recoil.

Good point about getting the neighbors involved, but I am the only one on my block who is into firearms right now, Harry

You would be very surprised what people own. Not everyone talks about there stuff. My bet is over 50% of the people around us own a firearm. If SHTF you would see old shoties and Winchesters popping out all over the place.Think of how many firearms have been manufactured over the last 30 years. They all were not just owned by people like us.

Like the japs said in wwII in America there's a gun behind every blade of grass.

Like the japs said in wwII in America there's a gun behind every blade of grass.

What "JAP" said this? I've heard it a million times but who originally said it and when?

What "JAP" said this? I've heard it a million times but who originally said it and when?

I have heard a thousand times over that it is not an actual quote.. it is attributed to "Yamamoto" but like I said.. it appears to be misquote.. or at least that is what I have read..

as far as ONE gun.. there isn't ONE gun for me.. each gun has a role.. so one gun compliments the other... I guess if I could only have one.. it would be one of my Saiga rifles.. would pick the Saiga 12.. but just not enough range.. also depends on the environment and how long I will be stuck in it..

T-72_001.jpg

RAYRAY: I just bought this for home defense, what kind of ammo do you recommend

Many times it doesn't matter on caliber, it comes down to reliability and proficiency. If you know how to use it, and it is reliable, and you are accurate with it, it will do the job.

• Like 1

You would be very surprised what people own. Not everyone talks about there stuff. My bet is over 50% of the people around us own a firearm. If SHTF you would see old shoties and Winchesters popping out all over the place.Think of how many firearms have been manufactured over the last 30 years. They all were not just owned by people like us.

It certainly would be good to be able to band with fellow firearms owners in one's neighborhood in the event of a disaster, but I have no idea how to broach the subject in advance without tipping them off that I'm an owner. Any suggestions? Or would you just wait until trouble strikes and see who comes of of their house holding a gun?

It certainly would be good to be able to band with fellow firearms owners in one's neighborhood in the event of a disaster, but I have no idea how to broach the subject in advance without tipping them off that I'm an owner. Any suggestions? Or would you just wait until trouble strikes and see who comes of of their house holding a gun?

Just ask them what they would do if there was a zombie invasion. That will break the ice and get the convo started in a lighthearted way. That way if they are anti's or respond in a really negative way you can discontinue the conversation no harm no foul.

For me it has often changed to different platforms over the years, but to the guy who armed himself with Nagants, its a gread idea but i find it impractical. THus why i ruled out bolt actions from the beginning. my first SHTF gun was the Garand, the a M14 platform then i settled for a SKS. in the end, however i feel it will it becomes mission specific.

Before we get carried away reality check - 'real SHTF' is not going to happen in the US. In case of Katrina type of event or downfall of economy the government will disarm you. Yes, you can arm yourself to the tooth in your house but once you step out its a different ball game. If the national guard comes knocking at your door forcing you to evacuate they will not let you bear arms. Downfall of economy during great depression you did not see people walking in arms.

Just saying...

To answer the question probably conceal carry G23.

Or you can just not answer the door, they tried to evacuate us during whats its name a month ago, and we just hid and didn't answer, but again the absurdity of it, if our house went under water then 90% of the state would have had issues.

For me it has often changed to different platforms over the years, but to the guy who armed himself with Nagants, its a gread idea but i find it impractical.

But on the other hand, any weapon is practical when you need a weapon. Another reason I think a bolt action rifle would be somewhat ideal is the lack of moving parts. Basically, there's the bolt and trigger. On a semi-auto there's a lot more that can get worn out, and everything should be oiled and clean more than a bolt action I would think. And it also depends on the circumstances. If we were talkin hurricane, and things get bad, but will be back to normal, then yes a semi-auto carbine would be fine and a Mosin may not be a great choice. But if we are talkin "28 Days Later" and there's zombies and no hope of the government saving you then I would think a bolt action would be good for its relative simplicity.

But on the other hand, any weapon is practical when you need a weapon. Another reason I think a bolt action rifle would be somewhat ideal is the lack of moving parts. Basically, there's the bolt and trigger. On a semi-auto there's a lot more that can get worn out, and everything should be oiled and clean more than a bolt action I would think. And it also depends on the circumstances. If we were talkin hurricane, and things get bad, but will be back to normal, then yes a semi-auto carbine would be fine and a Mosin may not be a great choice. But if we are talkin "28 Days Later" and there's zombies and no hope of the government saving you then I would think a bolt action would be good for its relative simplicity.

if you live long enough to break or wear out an AK47.. it's time to cash out..

• Like 1

if you live long enough to break or wear out an AK47.. it's time to cash out..

Totally agree. I'm just saying that I feel that any idiot can figure out the ins and out of a bolt gun easier than they can figure out an AK or an AR. Especially when it comes to maintenance.

Joe another advantage bolt action has over the semi is less parts and a simpler design. A bolt action will outlast a semi and need fewer repair and less maintenance. Where would you get spare parts for your semi's? Bolt action guns are also less ammo sensitive. How many AR's are ammo sensitive? Semi's give an advantage in firepower so you need to decide what is a priority for you.

Ideally you should have both because they compliment each.

Joe another advantage bolt action has over the semi is less parts and a simpler design. A bolt action will outlast a semi and need fewer repair and less maintenance. Where would you get spare parts for your semi's? Bolt action guns are also less ammo sensitive. How many AR's are ammo sensitive? Semi's give an advantage in firepower so you need to decide what is a priority for you.

Ideally you should have both because they compliment each.

thank you, Wolfy. I think that's what I'm trying to get at. More moving parts equals a higher probability that something will fail.