reloaderguy

National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act Scheduled for House Floor Vote on Tuesday-HR822

Nice job, Only took you about 3 minutes to post that up, I did that as soon as I got it as well as the Wife.

Wonder if my daughter should do it also, she is only 12 but she is only the next generation.

+

H.R. 822, introduced in the U.S. House by Representatives Cliff Stearns (R-Fla.) and Heath Shuler (D-N.C.), would allow any person with a valid state-issued concealed firearm permit to carry a concealed firearm in any state that issues concealed firearm permits, or that does not prohibit the carrying of concealed firearms for lawful purposes.

How does this stack up in NJ? Not good it seems to me!!

SCIG

SCIG

The last time I checked, it doesn't change anything inside NJ for NJ residents. It would allow a NJ resident with a FL/VA/Utah/AZ(or any other)license to carry in 48 states. The two exceptions being NJ and Illinois. Any other state resident with a valid CCW could carry in NJ.

All i know is if people from OTHER states with CCW licenses can carry in NJ and we cant the NRA , SAF and every other gun rights group better lawyer up and sue the sh*t out of NJ on OUR behalf ,how can that be legal that a person in so many other states can apply get a CCW license from their home state with little or no training and be able to carry here and not us ??? That is just complete bullsh*t , what makes them any different from YOU or I who has taken the same or more training , it just baffles me if this becomes law and that happens !! :banghead:

• Like 1

The last time I checked, it doesn't change anything inside NJ for NJ residents. It would allow a NJ resident with a FL/VA/Utah/AZ(or any other)license to carry in 48 states. The two exceptions being NJ and Illinois. Any other state resident with a valid CCW could carry in NJ.

Mark, can you explain this to me? I think you have it wrong. Does it say you need one from YOUR state?

Mark, can you explain this to me? I think you have it wrong. Does it say you need one from YOUR state?

It applies to any state but your state of residence. I've highlighted the relevant parts.

‘‘§ 926D. Reciprocity for the carrying of certain con12

cealed firearms

13 ‘‘(a) Notwithstanding any provision of the law of any

14 State or political subdivision thereof (except as provided in

15 subsection (b)), a person who is not prohibited by Federal

16 law from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a

17 firearm, and who is carrying a valid identification docu

18 ment containing a photograph of the person, and a valid

19 license or permit which is issued pursuant to the law of

20 a State and which permits the person to carry a concealed

21 firearm, may possess or carry a concealed handgun (other

22 than a machinegun or destructive device) that has been

23 shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce,

24 in any State, other than the State of residence of the person,

25 that—

VerDate Mar

+

H.R. 822, introduced in the U.S. House by Representatives Cliff Stearns (R-Fla.) and Heath Shuler (D-N.C.), would allow any person with a valid state-issued concealed firearm permit to carry a concealed firearm in any state that issues concealed firearm permits, or that does not prohibit the carrying of concealed firearms for lawful purposes.

SCIG

HR 822 does nothing for NJ residents CCW capabilities; HR 2900 does however...

Mark, it seems your wrong. I read that as I can carry in any state that accepts concealed carry permits, which New Jersey actually does. The only one that we can't carry in would be Illinois.

• Like 1

1. Under HR 822, you cannot carry in your own state in reliance on an out of state permit. That is clear.

2. For us in NJ, HR 822, if passed would mean that we could carry in NY in reliance on a non-resident permit from another state (eg Florida, Utah), but could not carry in NJ.

3. This may be naive, but if HR 822 passes, I think it might be a positive for our CCW rights in NJ. Even our clueless politicians may come to realize how absurd it will be if out of state visitors can carry here but not our own citizens. On the other hand, I could see them easily going the other way and simply banning CCW altogether.

Mark, it seems your wrong. I read that as I can carry in any state that accepts concealed carry permits, which New Jersey actually does. The only one that we can't carry in would be Illinois.

Did you not read the red parts? A person may carry in any state other than the state of residence. To carry in your state of residence, you must get a valid license from your state.

Did you not read the red parts? A person may carry in any state other than the state of residence. To carry in your state of residence, you must get a valid license from your state.

Mark, I don't want to have a battle of wits about this. As I'm unarmed. The only way to find out is if it passes. I'm sure if that's the case NJ will either go "No carry" or would start to pass carry laws since out of state people will already be carrying.

A person may carry in any state other than the state of residence. To carry in your state of residence, you must get a valid license from your state.

That's the way I read it. Of course, if it passes and non-residents can carry in NJ, but residents cannot, there would be an "equal protection under the law" challenge.

• Like 1

This would be good as I could carry around NYC at work :)

NYC would allow you to carry, but each day before you arrive, you have to log on to their website, submit your daily agenda as to where you're going to be each hour of the day. There would be a $25/day processing fee. You have to print out the receipt and carry it on your person. Oh and the website only is up about 25% of the time. :sarcastichand:

My co worker and I had this discussion as well. He contacted the NRA ILA and asked, as a NJ resident would he be able to use a FL CCW permit, INSIDE of NJ. This was their response.

Thank you for contacting NRA-ILA.

As H.R. 822 is written now, your non-resident Florida permit would be valid in 49 states (excluding Illinois). Therefore, you would be able to carry in New Jersey with the non-resident Florida permit, abiding by all local and state laws.

There was an anti-gun amendment offered to H.R. 822 that would have made a distinction between resident and non-resident permits, but was defeated for the anti-gun results.

• Like 2

My co worker and I had this discussion as well. He contacted the NRA ILA and asked, as a NJ resident would he be able to use a FL CCW permit, INSIDE of NJ. This was their response.

Thank you for contacting NRA-ILA.

As H.R. 822 is written now, your non-resident Florida permit would be valid in 49 states (excluding Illinois). Therefore, you would be able to carry in New Jersey with the non-resident Florida permit, abiding by all local and state laws.

There was an anti-gun amendment offered to H.R. 822 that would have made a distinction between resident and non-resident permits, but was defeated for the anti-gun results.

I hope you aint bullsh1ttin as I'm ready to rock if this passes!