Malsua

Texan passing through New Jersey sentenced to five years in prison on gun charges

We had the discussion on this guy here before:

here: http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/9510-story-dont-keep-guns-on-backseat/page__view__findpost__p__123486

and here: http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/17672-jury-deliberates-fate-of-texas-man-having-weapons-in-nj/page__view__findpost__p__231691

Moral of the story...store your guns properly.

-----------------

READINGTON TWP. — A Texas man who was convicted of weapons charges at a trial he did not attend was sentenced on Friday to five years in state prison.

It all started on March 20, 2009, after police said they found 26 firearms in Dustin Shane Reininger’s SUV.

According to police here, Readington Patrolman Gregory Wester saw the vehicle around 3:30 a.m. parked in the back of Wachovia Bank on Route 22. When he approached, he saw two guns on the back seat and Reininger asleep in the driver’s seat, according to police.

Reininger, now 38, of Rockport, Texas, initially denied having any guns but later told police he was moving from Maine to Texas and that the guns were registered to him and not loaded, police said. Reininger admitted that he had a handgun and an AR-15 assault rifle in the SUV, police said.

Reininger’s SUV was towed to headquarters, police obtained a warrant and searched the truck, reporting they found 23 long guns, of which five are classified as “assault” firearms; three handguns; and high-capacity magazines and hollow-point bullets.

Authorities said one handgun was loaded with hollow-point bullets, which are prohibited in New Jersey except under limited circumstances.

Reininger posted $100,000 bail and was released from the county jail four days after his arrest. He did not return to New Jersey, but was told the trial would happen without his presence. The two-day long trial was held in Flemington in August 2010 before Superior Court Judge Stephen Rubin.

The jury found Reininger guilty of unlawful possession of rifles, third degree; unlawful possession of shotguns, third degree; possession of prohibited weapons or devices, fourth degree; possession of large-capacity ammunition magazines, fourth degree; hindering apprehension, third degree; and obstructing the administration of law, fourth degree.

After the verdict was delivered, Judge Rubin revoked Reininger’s bail and issued a warrant for his arrest.

With help of the United States Marshal’s Fugitive Task Force, Reininger was taken into custody by the Galveston County Sheriff’s Department on April 14. Since his return to New Jersey in September he has been held in the county jail without bail.

When he was arrested in Texas, authorities there charged him with failure to identify and intent to give false information to law enforcement officers.

A web site defending Reininger and asking for help in paying for legal costs has been set up by his family. According to the site, Reininger claims his federal constitutional rights have been violated and says he is innocent. He argues that state law cannot supersede federal law.

According to the site, Reininger often parked in bank or church parking lots to sleep while he traveled because they were well lit, often patrolled by police and therefore safer.

He claims police only searched his SUV because he had Texas plates and therefore the officer assumed there would be weapons. He claims the search began before a warrant was obtained.

The web site claims that Reininger was too sleepy when police were questioning him to respond intelligently, but gives great detail of what happened from his point of view.

Reininger turned down an offer that would have had him serve 90 days in jail if he pleaded guilty to four counts, the site said. Reininger rejected the deal because he did not want to have a criminal record, according to the site. He did not expect to be convicted because he thought he would be cleared based on federal law, the site said.

Reininger also claims his two ex-wives have been spreading lies about him because they are mad that he divorced them. However, Reininger was arrested in Maine in 2008 and charged with threatening his first wife with a gun. The second wife also made claims of domestic violence, according to official reports.

It is my opinion, and I'm not a lawyer, that if he transported legally he would not be in this mess. It is the responsibility of the individual to know the laws of the state they are transporting through.

Though, federal protection of those transporting firearms exsists the now felon was not in compliance.

When he was arrested in Texas, authorities there charged him with failure to identify and intent to give false information to law enforcement officers.

A web site defending Reininger and asking for help in paying for legal costs has been set up by his family. According to the site, Reininger claims his federal constitutional rights have been violated and says he is innocent. He argues that state law cannot supersede federal law.

Too bad he wasn't in Compliance with the Federal Law....

Once again, the moral of the story is:

If you have firearms and need to travel past the PRNJ, take the long way around.

The criminal record you save may be your own. :icon_e_sad:

No, the MORAL of the story is, Comply with the Law as defined in FOPA..if he had done so, he probably would have been ok.

It is my opinion, and I'm not a lawyer, that if he transported legally he would not be in this mess. It is the responsibility of the individual to know the laws of the state they are transporting through.

Though, federal protection of those transporting firearms exsists the now felon was not in compliance.

While I will agree that as a NJ resident I know the laws of my state and I do check the laws of each state I am going to or traveling through and I expend that list for deviations in my travel route just in case being a lot of times I may be on my motorcycle and just decide to go someplace different midway. or around weather. Yes I deviate at times. once going to the New Orleans area rather than a direct route I went all the way west ti Indiana then winded my way there staying in as many NO Helmet Law states as I could.

Ok on to my point Frank, if you are not from the NJ area, or another state that has these laws you may not even think about them, and just transport them as what FOPA would allow. Believe it or not, I have told people from other states the things we have to do, or can not do, or own and they are like, NO Way, it's not like that, your drunk, you are a lier, it's not like that in the USA etc, However I do tell them to make sure they do know the laws if they come here and don't get themselves jammed up for something that is legal in the Free USA if they have to come here.

Five years seems excessive for sleeping with guns in his truck. All the other stuff is him trying to avoid going to jail over stupid laws in NJ. He wasn't robbing a convenience store, which is too bad because he'd probably be home now. He was stupid, the gun laws here are stupid, and five years of his life is more than stupid. Five years of his life, when the judge could have just given him time served and told him not to return to NJ.

No, the MORAL of the story is, Comply with the Law as defined in FOPA..if he had done so, he probably would have been ok.

Tell that to the Midwest guy whose connecting flight out of EWR was cancelled due to weather and spent many days as a "guest" in the Essex County jail.

Then the NJSC upheld his legal-sodomization because to those flaming liberals, FOPA means "Firearms Owner Punishment Act"

Five years seems excessive for sleeping with guns in his truck. All the other stuff is him trying to avoid going to jail over stupid laws in NJ. He wasn't robbing a convenience store, which is too bad because he'd probably be home now. He was stupid, the gun laws here are stupid, and five years of his life is more than stupid. Five years of his life, when the judge could have just given him time served and told him not to return to NJ.

Five years is light time considering they hit Brian Aitkens with a seven year sentence.

And I didn't see any handgun violations mentioned in the TX guy's convictions.

Five years is light time considering they hit Brian Aitkens with a seven year sentence.

And I didn't see any handgun violations mentioned in the TX guy's convictions.

He was lucky he didn't get more by NJ standards true. Is there justice in that sentence when there are violent criminals that we're 99% sure are going to repeat the same crime getting less time. This was a non-violent crime.

It seems like a good time to add that scary guns are going to be a part of many many more traffic stops and every day situations should concealed carry become a reality. Will our jails be filled with j-walking 5 year sentences?

He was lucky he didn't get more by NJ standards true. Is there justice in that sentence when there are violent criminals that we're 99% sure are going to repeat the same crime getting less time. This was a non-violent crime.

I do not consider this a crime, ignorance of the law And NJ taking advantage of it..

The state trooper gets to tell his story, the prosecutor gets to make his point..

I consider this conviction bragging rights by those who can enforce the laws.

• Like 2

I do not consider this a crime, ignorance of the law And NJ taking advantage of it..

The state trooper gets to tell his story, the prosecutor gets to make his point..

I consider this conviction bragging rights by those who can enforce the laws.

BINGO, you're right on with that take on it sir.

It seems like a good time to add that scary guns are going to be a part of many many more traffic stops and every day situations should concealed carry become a reality. Will our jails be filled with j-walking 5 year sentences?

Probably the fugitive from justice was the conviction that netted the serious prison sentence.

While I will agree that as a NJ resident I know the laws of my state and I do check the laws of each state I am going to or traveling through and I expend that list for deviations in my travel route just in case being a lot of times I may be on my motorcycle and just decide to go someplace different midway. or around weather. Yes I deviate at times. once going to the New Orleans area rather than a direct route I went all the way west ti Indiana then winded my way there staying in as many NO Helmet Law states as I could.

Ok on to my point Frank, if you are not from the NJ area, or another state that has these laws you may not even think about them, and just transport them as what FOPA would allow. Believe it or not, I have told people from other states the things we have to do, or can not do, or own and they are like, NO Way, it's not like that, your drunk, you are a lier, it's not like that in the USA etc, However I do tell them to make sure they do know the laws if they come here and don't get themselves jammed up for something that is legal in the Free USA if they have to come here.

Stepped on your weiner on that one Harry!!! You know the states that are the "NO HELMET States" He should have known about the PRNJ. From his website he does seem like an inteligent guy. Just no regard for the law.

Pipes...We agree again...scary! Are you starting to think more like me? Or am I starting to think more like you?

Have a nice Thanksgiving!

Stepped on your weiner on that one Harry!!! You know the states that are the "NO HELMET States" He should have known about the PRNJ. From his website he does seem like an inteligent guy. Just no regard for the law.

Sorry, was I unzipped again.. :icon_mrgreen:

I agree with if you are going interstate and not transporting to FOPA standards than you are just begging to get nabbed in NJ and spend more time here than you originally intended.

Moral... dont freaking drive around with guns on your backseat... in particular... some common sense...

Parked in a BANK parking lot, with 27 guns on your back seat. While it is not illegal... it is as stupid as walking around with an unloaded long gun in Newark.

I look at it this way, if I am traveling with a firearm, either transporting to a match, or to CCW, I at least do a 5 min google to see about anything wacky. At the bare min, as stated by another poster, at least comply with federal statutes on transportation.

Maksim, keep in mind that the purpose of law is not to prevent stupidity. It is to punish those who infringe upon the rights of others.

A man should be able to do whatever he pleases, as long as it doesn't infringe upon the rights and property of others.

I don't think the fellow was particularly smart, but who cares? He wasn't doing anyone any harm.

The guy doesn't even care to present a defense?

The when he's convicted:

With help of the United States Marshal’s Fugitive Task Force, Reininger was taken into custody by the Galveston County Sheriff’s Department on April 14. Since his return to New Jersey in September he has been held in the county jail without bail.

That sure shows what an upstanding citizen he is.

No sympathy from me.

• Like 1

This guy made his own troubles by exhibiting a complete lack of common sense. He could be the poster boy for the anti's in this state because of his dickbag behavior and past record (assault convictions, etc.).

No matter how much I want to get behind this guy's fight because I feel NJ has violated the rights of an innocent man, he seems to be a dumbarse. Not showing up to your own court battle because he "thought" he would be cleared is just idiocy, lying to police, trying to evade the US Marshal Service, and prior domestic assault charges involving firearms... just begs me to steer clear. Not the best example case to get behind.

I mean, lets face it. No matter who the person is that gets nabbed in NJ's web, they will try to make that person look like a devil at all costs. Comments like "AR-15 assault rifle", and such. But this guy just added fuel to the fire.

I agree with most that he should have known the law and thus avoided this, however it is still troubling to me that the sentence is that harsh. Granted there could be a lot more to this story, but if it is as described 5 years in prison is just rediculous when people who have committed murder have had similar sentences. Punishment just does not fit the crime.

I agree with most that he should have known the law and thus avoided this, however it is still troubling to me that the sentence is that harsh. Granted there could be a lot more to this story, but if it is as described 5 years in prison is just rediculous when people who have committed murder have had similar sentences. Punishment just does not fit the crime.

How much time should one get for jumping bail and being a fugitive? I do agree with you though, that crimes where there is no real victim should be treated more lenient and crimes where there is a victim should be dealt with much more aggressively.