Luke_WO

Shooting Headaches

Went clay-busting today. Since I'm most into sporting clays, not trap or skeet, and I live in North Jersey, there's nowhere that's exactly close to my house. Went to Red Wing in Port Republic today, which is just under 2 hours from me. Great place, been there several times and love it. Plus it was empty today. Barely anyone there.

But I noticed when I got home that I had a massive headache, and then I realized that I get this same headache every time I get home from shooting. Other than that, i don't ever really get headaches. Maybe it's something about driving in a car with fresh gun fumes or something? Does anyone else get these headaches, or have a possible explanation for them?

How's your ear protection?

How do you shoot, one eye or two eyes? Maybe you're squinting one eye closed and it's giving you a headache?

Do you always shoot the same ammo? Do you clean and oil the gun with the same cleaning chemicals?

Too many variables to know for sure.

Does it happen only when you shoot clays or shotgun for that matter? Or does it happen after every time you shoot, be it pistols, rifles, or shotguns?

As Djg stated, so many variables that you really have to answer a lot of questions to get to the bottom of it.

It could be whats called a "shotgun headache." Law enforcement trainers realized long ago that they needed to limit the amount of high brass rounds to 50 per day because students got headaches from the repeated heavy recoil. Try changing your ammo to low brass or use a semi-auto like a benelli that will absorb some of the recoil.

How's your ear protection?

How do you shoot, one eye or two eyes? Maybe you're squinting one eye closed and it's giving you a headache?

Do you always shoot the same ammo? Do you clean and oil the gun with the same cleaning chemicals?

Too many variables to know for sure.

Ear protection not an issue. I never take my muffs off.

I close one eye, but I doubt that would cause a headache. I definitely don't squint.

I've use all kids of ammo, from Estate to Remington to Winchester, etc. I DO use the same solvent and oil every time I clean it, but since I get the headaches after I shoot, not after I clean it, not sure if that could be it.

And I wear regular eyeglasses, so I don't wear any sort of colored glasses.

Appreciate the thoughts and ideas. I definitely don't expect a concrete explanation, but I appreciate any thoughts or experiences you guys have.

Does it happen only when you shoot clays or shotgun for that matter? Or does it happen after every time you shoot, be it pistols, rifles, or shotguns?

Shotgun gives me more of an issue than rifle, now that you mention it. I don't shoot pistols. I shoot a Rem 1100. I do shoot at least 100 per session. Sometimes more. I don't know why, but I feel like it has something to do with a lengthy ride home in a car that smells like gunfire. I guess that could affect everyone differently.

it may be the glasses most serious shooters that wear glasses have seperate glasses for shooting ,I dont myself but Im told the way you hold your head to shoot a gun and look at an object is different from any other task so shooting glasses are ground different tha focal point is higher in the lens.my 2nd guess would be recoil

I get itchy when I don't get to the range for a while. Does that count?

Headache is often the first sign of dehydration, are you doing a lot of walking without hydrating? You could be ratteling your head causing a slight inflamation and resulting in a headache. Visual and audatory problems sound like they have been ruled out. It could be muscular, are your sholdes hurting and the pain is being referred to your head? It could be a tumor, (just kidding).

You may want to bring water, (coffee, tea, energy drinks, and soda do little to no hydrating). You may also want to take some Tylenol or motrin before hitting the range.

Where is the headache, front, back, side of head??

Front. My eyelids, more specifically. I get the feeling that they weigh about 10 pounds each. They never last long, and a couple of Aleve/Tylenol/Advil/etc. usually take care of it, but it's still annoying.

The tension band on your ear muffs may be causing a headache as well.

You beat me to it. The Silencio muffs I had always always always gave me an intense headache. Finally stopped being cheap and bought a new pair and now no more headaches

Good point on the headset, it he old headsets at work that had the little plug that you out in your ear used to drive me crazy, switched to an outside the ear one and no more headaches.

That and eye strain would do it for me, so I picked up a pair or readers to read with and even changed the type I use for shooting and I have been headache free, frustrated in my shooting but no headaches.

Where is Port Republic? That in NJ, never heard of it. How far is Lehigh Valley Sporting Clays from you? That is a great place to go.

What kind of gun are you using? I know I shoot my wifes 870 well, but that sucker slaps my face and makes my teeth sore after 100+ shots. My 1100 is no problem. I have since then bought a Browning 525 that I shoot all day long, sometimes 200 rounds a day, no headaches, no problems at all, but it does have a really good aftermarket recoil setup in it.

Where is Port Republic? That in NJ, never heard of it. How far is Lehigh Valley Sporting Clays from you? That is a great place to go.

What kind of gun are you using? I know I shoot my wifes 870 well, but that sucker slaps my face and makes my teeth sore after 100+ shots. My 1100 is no problem. I have since then bought a Browning 525 that I shoot all day long, sometimes 200 rounds a day, no headaches, no problems at all, but it does have a really good aftermarket recoil setup in it.

I shoot an 1100. No recoil problems. I barely feel it at all. Love that gun.

Port Republic is way down the Parkway, past Long Beach Island. Exit 48. It's about 90 minutes from me, give or take. Lehigh Valley is about an hour and 15 minutes from me, and I go there just as much. Great place, but ALWAYS packed, in my experience. Red Wing is a great family run operation. Great setting in the Pine Barrens with plenty of fun and challenging shots at 18 stations, and the crowd is minimal compared to LVSC. I try to split my time between there and Lehigh, but on weekends I try to stay away from the Lehigh crowds. I'm more likely to go to Lehigh Wednesday-Friday.

FYI- Thunder mountain in Ringwood is like an hour away from west orange.

Don't they only have skeet and trap? I really like the whole "course" atmosphere of sporting clays. I'd be willing to try it though. I'm really not a fan of having to drive so far to shoot.

What NRR rating is your hearing protection? It may not be enough.

Don't know the first thing about NRR, but according to google, mine are a 23. I'll probably pick up a better pair soon, I just picked these up when buying some ammo at the Bullet Hole a while back.

My Peltor Bulls Eye 7s are NRR27DB, which is why I got them. The plugs I use are NRR32 (Hearos Ultimates).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EPQ3H4/ref=wms_ohs_product

I just picked up some Howard Leight Impact Sport active hearing protection muffs. For shotgun and other louder guns (and indoor shooting), I'm going to double up with the plugs.

My Peltor Bulls Eye 7s are NRR27DB, which is why I got them. The plugs I use are NRR32 (Hearos Ultimates).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EPQ3H4/ref=wms_ohs_product

I just picked up some Howard Leight Impact Sport active hearing protection muffs. For shotgun and other louder guns (and indoor shooting), I'm going to double up with the plugs.

I always found Peltor to be the most comfortable ear muffs, I used to wear ear muffs almost all day long.