Col. Mortimer

Is Anyone Interested in a USPSA / IDPA Introduction Class?

I will have a class at the end of March or early April at Shongun. I can also have the class at another range if some one there wants to sponsor it. PM me with your email address if you are interested. Once the class is approved, I will start a list and firm up the date.

Would this be a hands on practical class about different matches, scoring, rules. Or will it be a classroom about whats needed ect?

Good question. The first part of the class is a classroom session covering safety, scoring, rules, common mistakes and how a match runs. After the class, we have a practical session where we shoot several stages. It's like your first match only there's not pressure and you get a more comprehensive briefing.

As for a date, I am thinking March 31st

Maks, J0n & Harry: Yes, I could really use some help with the class. It would appear that is sufficient interest to have the class. I will start the paperwork immediately as Shongum's Event Board wants 90-days notice but they are flexible.

As we get closer can we.discuss a typical gear set for a new competitor?

As we get closer can we.discuss a typical gear set for a new competitor?

Agreed. Maybe a little more than 3-4 weeks before? I know Blade Tech has a 3-4 week lead time, not sure about others, but still good to have some time to think about it and have things delivered.

You will see a variety of gear at the match. I will post some suggestions and you can back me up with your observations.

Great...sounds good....

Again being a nOOb, I am sure you can go insane with gear....like anything else...

I am hoping to shoot a stock FN Hi Power in 9mm and/or my 1911 GI spec in 45acp...

Does everyone use modified holsters, or just regular leather...... If just starting out would like to keep the investment to a minimum...

I personally plan on buying a Blade Tech DOH holster and Revolution double mag pouches. I was originally going to use the Serpa CQC Sportster that I have, but since that's for my Glock and I now decided to use my Beretta 92, I have to buy a holster anyway and decided to go the buy once, cry once, route. Hopefully it works out for me. Unfortunately, being a lefty, there isn't a huge market for trading/selling/buying used gear when I find out I don't like it.

Does everyone use modified holsters, or just regular leather...... If just starting out would like to keep the investment to a minimum...

Most people use kydex for competition - not to say you can't use leather, especially to help minimize start-up investment. Just make sure that the holster you choose is compliant for the game/class you're shooting.

I know that the Blade-Tech DOH is a popular choice and that's fine if you only intend to shoot USPSA. If you have an inkling that you may also want to try IDPA, you will have to remove the Drop/Offset (the DO in DOH) to be legal for IDPA. Not a big deal, but if you intend to shoot both on a regular basis, removing and reinstalling the D/O component will be come a PITA. Just get the holster without the D/O and that way the muscle memory you generate will be the same for both games - you don't have to get used to drawing from two different positions.

JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Kydex holsters are the norm. With leather, you have to check to be sure you cannot access the trigger once the pistol is holstered. If I can slip my finger between the holster and the pistol and reach the trigger, it's no good. Kydex being rigid, prevents access to the trigger very well. I agree with compujas, buy the best and you'll only cry once.

I have the Blade Tech DOH holster for my 92FS and it is excellent. Good retention but draws smoothly.