Turboprop21

Newark $1000 Gun Program

Darn, I thought I could get $1000 for some guns I don't need around here. Maybe I'll give someone a gun and turn them in. Hey Ray Ray, you wanna meet-up in Newark buddy? ;)

I wonder just how well this program is going to work. How long will these people actually stay in jail for illegally carrying a firearm. Jails seem over crowded now and they continue to let people out that have done far worse than carry a firearm, they actually used them.

I am never a fan of any component of government using money to encourage people turning in other folks. I see WAAAYY too much potential for abuse. Even if the guns are legally owned and purchased, the defandant is going to have to spend hard earned coin to get their stuff back or clear their name. Even if not, just having the cops show up with a warrant can sometimes be damage enough. Definitely scary to me.

C

• Like 2

I am never a fan of any component of government using money to encourage people turning in other folks. I see WAAAYY too much potential for abuse. Even if the guns are legally owned and purchased, the defandant is going to have to spend hard earned coin to get their stuff back or clear their name. Even if not, just having the cops show up with a warrant can sometimes be damage enough. Definitely scary to me.

C

They specificaly ask for people roaming the streets with guns... their not asking to turn your neighbor in who owns guns..

• Like 1

I was hoping it was a buy back. I'd cash in my MKII, and use the money for an AR...Too bad. Still, I'm not much of a fan of this idea. There IS a potential for abuse. I'm more surprised they destroy illegal firearms. I figure any seized AKs, or ARs could be used to outfit SWAT or something. I mean, it just seems wasteful to me.

As for turning in neighbors, that seems somewhat...uncomfortable to me. The analogy of the Gestapo does seem to play here. It's one thing if you have information about a crime being commited, or if you're in danger or something. Hell, I guess the owership of these illegal firearms are a "crime" but something is different about it. I would wager most of the members of this board likely live in the suburbs, or in nicer areas. To us going through the riggameroll of getting your FID is the right thing to do. Most of us want to defend ourselves. Now, of course, most of the time this probably isn't the case, but these people live in dangerous areas, and likely aren't too high on the income bracket. Some of them may be like us, law abiding citizens who want to defend themselves, but the expense, and ignorance about the FID process may make them criminals. It's possible that well meaning, if "law-breaking" citizens may end up in trouble.

I suspect that a lot of law-abiding gun owners will be hassled by their neighbors looking for some quick cash. That is if there are law-abiding gun owners in Newark.

There are. Some just choose to ignore the useless political scribble that some of the nadless "law abiding" ovulators here think is the word revealed.

They specificaly ask for people roaming the streets with guns... their not asking to turn your neighbor in who owns guns..

If we report the cops does it count? I see potential for thousands of dollars to be made.

NOTE: Joke intended

who's to say that the snitch is actually telling the truth? what if he/she wants to get back at old friends or some who just pissed him off? what justification does the PD have? Whats the concequence if they & the snitch are WRONG?

who's to say that the snitch is actually telling the truth? what if he/she wants to get back at old friends or some who just pissed him off? what justification does the PD have? Whats the concequence if they & the snitch are WRONG?

I would beleive it would be similar civil complaints against the department and a huge lawsuit as in a similar case of an unlawful arrest, unlawful detension and so on so the list might be similar with a few changes to make it a long list of the pd breaking numerous laws.