mikelets456

Tin foil hats...really? DHS previous concern.

Homeland Security Is Monitoring The Drudge Report, The New York Times

It's unclear exactly why, but the Department of Homeland has been operating a "Social Networking/Media Capability" program to monitor the top blogs, forums and social networks online for at least the past 18 months. Based on a privacy compliance review from last November recently obtained by Reuters, the purpose of the project is to "collect information used in providing situational awareness and establishing a common operating picture." Whatever that means. Either way, the list of sites reported by Reuters reveals in a Wednesday afternoon exclusive is pretty intriguing:

Social Networks

• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Myspace

Blogs

• The Drudge Report
  • The Huffington Post
  • The New York Times's Lede blog
  • Wired's Threat Level
  • Wired's Danger Room
  • ABC News' investigative blog The Blotter
  • "blogs that cover bird flu … news and activity along U.S. borders … drug trafficking and cybercrime"

Multimedia

• Hulu
  • YouTube
  • Flickr

In conclusion, the Department of Homeland Security is just like you. We've seen no reports of The Atlantic Wire being on the list. But if we are, hello Department of Homeland Security employees -- thanks for reading!

Want to add to this story? Let us know in comments or send an email to the author at [email protected]. You can share ideas for stories on the Open Wire.

Adam Clark Estes

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/technology/2012/01/homeland-security-monitoring-drudge-report-new-york-times/47300/

Intresting, i watched on fox news this morning of people losing their job from posts on facebook..

And it is funny this came up, our race club suspended another racer for making coments on another racers facebook page.. it was warranted though he was very abusive to an 18 year old female racer..

OH! You forgot "NJ Gun Forum"

Guys blab $hit in this site not realizing this is not private, but a postcard sent directly to those that want to know what you think. And what you think they may perceive as a national threat. And off you go to Guantanamo!!!

OH! You forgot "NJ Gun Forum"

Guys blab $hit in this site not realizing this is not private,

+1...............

WWII....LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS......

I had a run in at work once due to facebook.... I had some 'friends' from the office link to me...and I made a statement once upon returning back from a great vacation...

" back to the daily BS........"

That got me a visit to the owner of the company....

Since then I have unfriended ALL of them...AND removed my emplyment information.....hey I only work there they are NOT my friends.....lol...

In todays climate and with technology being what it is, you are foolish if you divulge tooooooo much online...

I always thought that and I may be wrong here, that some posts that people make at times should NOT be posted....

Funny (Well, not really)...But Free speech is nearing its end. I know they say it is "for your safety", but that is how it always begins. Is anyone familiar with the book "How to kill 11 million people"? It's a 20 minute read and to the point. If you have not read it, please check it out.

Homeland Security Is Monitoring The Drudge Report, The New York Times

It's unclear exactly why, but the Department of Homeland has been operating a "Social Networking/Media Capability" program to monitor the top blogs, forums and social networks online for at least the past 18 months. Based on a privacy compliance review from last November recently obtained by Reuters, the purpose of the project is to "collect information used in providing situational awareness and establishing a common operating picture." Whatever that means. Either way, the list of sites reported by Reuters reveals in a Wednesday afternoon exclusive is pretty intriguing:

Social Networks

• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Myspace

Blogs

• The Drudge Report
  • The Huffington Post
  • The New York Times's Lede blog
  • Wired's Threat Level
  • Wired's Danger Room
  • ABC News' investigative blog The Blotter
  • "blogs that cover bird flu … news and activity along U.S. borders … drug trafficking and cybercrime"

Multimedia

• Hulu
  • YouTube
  • Flickr

In conclusion, the Department of Homeland Security is just like you. We've seen no reports of The Atlantic Wire being on the list. But if we are, hello Department of Homeland Security employees -- thanks for reading!

Want to add to this story? Let us know in comments or send an email to the author at [email protected]. You can share ideas for stories on the Open Wire.

Adam Clark Estes

http://www.theatlant...rk-times/47300/

I think it's great that they're monitoring these. Unfortunately, our country continues to be dumber and dumber. Just look at the current generation. If you're in the 15-25 year old age group and actually have common sense and use your brain, then I'll apologize to you and extract you from my generalization. The remaining folks in that group are simply friggin' idiots. They prove this every single day. Their stupidity, as clearly shown by what and how they post on the social media sites (Facebook, Twitter, etc) proves this each and every time.

There's not going to be an issue of what normal, law abiding people are posting. The issue will be when these very stupid people post criminal information that DHS uses against them. That's what they're after. They know these idiots are stupid enough to makes their jobs much easier, by posting incriminating info.

There's not going to be an issue of what normal, law abiding people are posting. The issue will be when these very stupid people post criminal information that DHS uses against them. That's what they're after. They know these idiots are stupid enough to makes their jobs much easier, by posting incriminating info.

Yes, I know and you are correct. However, you couple this, the Patriot act and the DDS Bill and now the government can pretty much search, investigate and look into your private information without a warrant.

The government has been doing this for a very long time regarding public information IF there was suspicsion. But now they are monitoring at will instead of following up on a known criminal. There is a huge difference. Kind of like the police parked in front of my house for no reason at all as opposed to me having a long "rap" sheet.

Slippery slope. Who decides what information is incriminating? If our gov't heads down the road of totalitarianism or fascism or some other ism you don't agree with are you going to be happy biting your tongue and sitting idly by? You may well have to or suffer the consequences of a tyrannical government. In North Korea if you talk bad about the government your whole family goes to a work camp! Good times!

• Like 1

Crack me up... this has nothing to due with the Patriot Act and the DDS Bill. NOTHING... The PatAct and DDS go WAY beyond what this is referring to. Those items give the gov the ability and permission to go into your private information, banking.. medical... bills... background checks etc etc etc etc etc. Way more intrusive and usually reserved for deep investigations because it costs TOO MUCH money to use them on all individuals.

It is called Media Monitoring for a leaning forward position. Collecting information used in providing situational awareness and establishing a common operating picture is what you do so that all first responders are seeing a situation from the same POV and have the same information. We at FEMA do it all day and night, sometimes the fastest way to be alerted to an occurence or alert is through local media or social media. Earthquake, illigal aliens crossing borders, chemical spill, tsunami, zombies etc etc etc. Example... tweets concerning an overturned chemical tanker outside Aberdeen Proving Grounds from motorists. We notice the tweets and start looking for any pics where we can identify the chem type, warning placards on truck, type of truck or tanker etc etc. Does local FD have a HAZMAT team qualified for that chem, is the DOD resources in the area capable of assisting, what are the traffic issues, evacuation plans and area, are we certain it was an accident. What does MD EMA have in plan and what are their force mobilizing to? Hundreds of questions can be answered in minutes now, not hours. Since we are linked into state EMAs through a software that allows a Common Operating Picture we can get these answers in a textual as well as graphic/map format. That is what a COP or common operating picture gives you. Do I think they are watching for people planning to try to overthrow the government... neonazis, white supremist, radical islamist, radical urbanites, drug cartels... you betcha. Is that wrong? Once again if you think DHS is monitoring you and your free speech, then by all means dont say anything in a public forum that can be misconstrued. Loosen it a bit more...

• Like 2

This is old news. They have admitted to already doing this nearly a decade ago. They (government) is already working on restricting the internet and blocking all sites other than the ones they approve in "emergencies", so they can spoon feed you only the information they want you to know about and nothing more.

Gun owners have already been classified by DHS as potential terrorists.

U//FOUO The possible passage of new restrictions on firearms and the return of

military veterans facing significant challenges reintegrating into their communities

could lead to the potential emergence of terrorist groups or lone wolf extremists

capable of carrying out violent attacks.

But don't worry guys. It isn't like they can just lock you up somewhere and throw away the key without giving you a trial and an attorney. There are things like the 6th and 14th Amendments to protect you. Oh wait...

• Like 1

I was going to walk away from this thread before I said something that got me in trouble... but i am back.

One thing I would like people to look at, read up on and possibly reasearch is the feeling the the USA is headed into the toilet because of some recent events. I think you are wrong and I will tell you why...

The USA has been at war (REAL WAR) for about 20% of it's history or had the specter of ward over it's head fro another 20% of the time since the day of the country's inception. There have been few very long periods of time the US has had real peace and those periods were marred by police actions, facing insurrections, causing bloodbaths internally what have you. The US is a violent country... it is what we do and what we did to become who we are. It is what we do best. We are young, we face issues with our fists just like a teen age boy. We can be unpredictable, benevolent, kind and warlike in the same moment. We are an adolescent country with no idea what we want to be when we grow up. We are the equivalent of the ancient Guals.. barbaric to the Romans but coming on fast and power that needs to be dealt with. same as the Romans were 400 years before to the Greeks.

But think back to what people consider a better time... 1940s dont even need to be in the equation due to WWII. The 1950s with race relations, mcartyism, threat of atomic bombs, communism, Korea etc etc. A better time, I think not. 1960s... worse then the '50s I think for uncertainty with Vietnam, Isreal, Bay of Pigs, Kennedy, USSR. The 1970s were good except for Arab nations, USSR, East Germany, middle east, China, Nixon etc etc etc. Now the 1980s, beside music where not too bad with the fall of the USSR being a highlight, but then we had Iran, Lebanon, Myamar, Cuba Balkans heating up. Into the 1990s, Balkans, Somalia, collapse of Russia, Iraq, Al Qaida, 9/11... I am not even out of the first 5 years in the '90s. So are we really in a worse place then ever before... not even close. Patriot Act and DDs versus McCarthy... I will take PA any day.

But let me get back to the USA as it stands. Why does it seem that we are in a worse time, because of two SMALL wars. Wars that lasted a decade but we have still lost less soldiers in that decade then in one month of WWII. If you look you will see that we lost about twice as many brave men and women in 10years as were lost on D-Day alone. These were small wars, insignificant in a somewhat historical context. So if they were not important you ask, why did we get involved, well because the world needs us to be warlike, not only for geopolitical reasons... but for trade. A strong, sometimes engaged US military keeps trade lines open to most of the worlds economies chugging through our naval and air power. So having US ships at sea during wartime secures trade lanes for the entire world. Also because no matter what happens on the battle field, economies across the globe are safer if the US is taking on a perceived enemy. Take for example Isreal, if the Us was not involved in Iraq what would the status of Isreal be right now? Prosperous or spending all their funds on defense to keep the Arab nations at bay? Would they still be in existence, because through the US being involved in the Gulf, Isreal's enemies are worried about the US and spending money dealing with our large and bumbling forces, not spending money on eradicating Isreal. The same goes for the Phillipines, Ukraine, Turkey and some Central and South American countires to name a few. As long as the US is out their stirring the pot, none of these backwater third world nations with despots can get big enough to become regional superpowers. So the US goes out and picks fights that dont make sense, creating instability and causing the media to freak out.

But if you think about it, I bet you would think we are actually better off.

• Like 1

Crack me up... this has nothing to due with the Patriot Act and the DDS Bill. NOTHING... The PatAct and DDS go WAY beyond what this is referring to. Those items give the gov the ability and permission to go into your private information, banking.. medical... bills... background checks etc etc etc etc etc. Way more intrusive and usually reserved for deep investigations because it costs TOO MUCH money to use them on all individuals.

It is called Media Monitoring for a leaning forward position. Collecting information used in providing situational awareness and establishing a common operating picture is what you do so that all first responders are seeing a situation from the same POV and have the same information. We at FEMA do it all day and night, sometimes the fastest way to be alerted to an occurence or alert is through local media or social media. Earthquake, illigal aliens crossing borders, chemical spill, tsunami, zombies etc etc etc. Example... tweets concerning an overturned chemical tanker outside Aberdeen Proving Grounds from motorists. We notice the tweets and start looking for any pics where we can identify the chem type, warning placards on truck, type of truck or tanker etc etc. Does local FD have a HAZMAT team qualified for that chem, is the DOD resources in the area capable of assisting, what are the traffic issues, evacuation plans and area, are we certain it was an accident. What does MD EMA have in plan and what are their force mobilizing to? Hundreds of questions can be answered in minutes now, not hours. Since we are linked into state EMAs through a software that allows a Common Operating Picture we can get these answers in a textual as well as graphic/map format. That is what a COP or common operating picture gives you. Do I think they are watching for people planning to try to overthrow the government... neonazis, white supremist, radical islamist, radical urbanites, drug cartels... you betcha. Is that wrong? Once again if you think DHS is monitoring you and your free speech, then by all means dont say anything in a public forum that can be misconstrued. Loosen it a bit more...

RUN GUYS, THEY'RE HERE! OH GOD! :icon_e_surprised:

• Like 2

axeman,

If you believe some of the things you said, then I'm sorry, but you are seriously misguided. To be clear though, I mean these things:

These were small wars, insignificant in a somewhat historical context. So if they were not important you ask, why did we get involved, well because the world needs us to be warlike, not only for geopolitical reasons... but for trade. A strong, sometimes engaged US military keeps trade lines open to most of the worlds economies chugging through our naval and air power.

Yes, I am sure those were the reasons....oh wait, you are telling me those aren't even the reasons the government is saying? Oh, that is strange.

Take for example Isreal, if the Us was not involved in Iraq what would the status of Isreal be right now?

Spelling aside, what do you actually know about Israel? This is not a rhetoric question, but a sincere one. I am curious to what you know about Israel, because I would prefer not to make an incorrect assumption.

Thinking we are better off is nothing more than a state of mind and holds no weight in regards to reality outside of your own mind. It is akin to me thinking you are a one armed Korean midget prostitute.

Bone.. lets start by agreeing that you stop questioning my spelling and I will stop questioning your grammar. You and I have a history of disagreement so this will be my one and only response unless you decide to discuss things without trying to demean and or berate me.

My depth of knowledge in regards to Isreal is not relevant to the post as I was using Isreal as an example. But, am I a middle eastern expert, no. An Isrealli or one with in depth knowledge of Isreal, no. Am I working on my MS in GeoPolitics and am responsible for analysis and interpretation of national and internation events here at work, yep. Are there people out there much smarted then me on these subjects, yep.

I am having a hard time figuring out what you disagreed with... the IRAQ II and Afghanistan were small wars or we went to war for trade? By the way just in case, oil is a trade good.

I was going to walk away from this thread before I said something that got me in trouble... but i am back.

One thing I would like people to look at, read up on and possibly reasearch is the feeling the the USA is headed into the toilet because of some recent events. I think you are wrong and I will tell you why...

The USA has been at war (REAL WAR) for about 20% of it's history or had the specter of ward over it's head fro another 20% of the time since the day of the country's inception. There have been few very long periods of time the US has had real peace and those periods were marred by police actions, facing insurrections, causing bloodbaths internally what have you. The US is a violent country... it is what we do and what we did to become who we are. It is what we do best. We are young, we face issues with our fists just like a teen age boy. We can be unpredictable, benevolent, kind and warlike in the same moment. We are an adolescent country with no idea what we want to be when we grow up. We are the equivalent of the ancient Guals.. barbaric to the Romans but coming on fast and power that needs to be dealt with. same as the Romans were 400 years before to the Greeks.

But think back to what people consider a better time... 1940s dont even need to be in the equation due to WWII. The 1950s with race relations, mcartyism, threat of atomic bombs, communism, Korea etc etc. A better time, I think not. 1960s... worse then the '50s I think for uncertainty with Vietnam, Isreal, Bay of Pigs, Kennedy, USSR. The 1970s were good except for Arab nations, USSR, East Germany, middle east, China, Nixon etc etc etc. Now the 1980s, beside music where not too bad with the fall of the USSR being a highlight, but then we had Iran, Lebanon, Myamar, Cuba Balkans heating up. Into the 1990s, Balkans, Somalia, collapse of Russia, Iraq, Al Qaida, 9/11... I am not even out of the first 5 years in the '90s. So are we really in a worse place then ever before... not even close. Patriot Act and DDs versus McCarthy... I will take PA any day.

But let me get back to the USA as it stands. Why does it seem that we are in a worse time, because of two SMALL wars. Wars that lasted a decade but we have still lost less soldiers in that decade then in one month of WWII. If you look you will see that we lost about twice as many brave men and women in 10years as were lost on D-Day alone. These were small wars, insignificant in a somewhat historical context. So if they were not important you ask, why did we get involved, well because the world needs us to be warlike, not only for geopolitical reasons... but for trade. A strong, sometimes engaged US military keeps trade lines open to most of the worlds economies chugging through our naval and air power. So having US ships at sea during wartime secures trade lanes for the entire world. Also because no matter what happens on the battle field, economies across the globe are safer if the US is taking on a perceived enemy. Take for example Isreal, if the Us was not involved in Iraq what would the status of Isreal be right now? Prosperous or spending all their funds on defense to keep the Arab nations at bay? Would they still be in existence, because through the US being involved in the Gulf, Isreal's enemies are worried about the US and spending money dealing with our large and bumbling forces, not spending money on eradicating Isreal. The same goes for the Phillipines, Ukraine, Turkey and some Central and South American countires to name a few. As long as the US is out their stirring the pot, none of these backwater third world nations with despots can get big enough to become regional superpowers. So the US goes out and picks fights that dont make sense, creating instability and causing the media to freak out.

But if you think about it, I bet you would think we are actually better off.

In a nut shell... why the concern? The people of this country want what's best, but the people in power do not. I am sorry, but these leaders are supporting the wrong countries. They are Anti-Israel, Pro-Palestine, etc. Our leaders are on the wrong side and us Americans see where this is heading. Did this {just} happen? No, it has not, but we are ready to turn the corner into something this country and its people do not recognize.

BTW, If I told you 5 years ago that the government would be running car companies, control banks, have Marxists/Maoists on staff, bypass congress, push for Universal Healthcare, strong arm the rich and coal/power plants, a super BIASED media (practically state run)etc, etc, etc you would have wrote me off as a total nut job. Now I contest if you do not see this happening right before our eyes, I ain't the nut job. There is a saying from the Marines: "better to have and not need than to need and not have". For the life of me I don't understand how preparing and being concerned makes one a nut job? You save money for a rainy day...right? One usually has some extra gas in the garage for the generator, lawn mower, lawn equipment...right? I have an extra can of propane to be prepared when the other one empties during a cook out. You have a 80 pound spare tire you lug around with you.... that's crazy? Right? Most have a fire extinguisher in their house, yet there is almost zero chance of a fire...right? I could go on and on...so why is there this mentality of being [obviously] concerned and prepared stated as "crazy, tin foil hat day"? If that is the case then the government is crazy for conducting air raids in the 50's and 60's. For telling people to build bomb shelters. For telling people to stock up on food and goods in the 50's and 60's... so which is it? Who is the crazy one? The one that prepares or the one that drives without a spare tire? Have you ever seen how this administration attacks, demonizes and goes after Tea Partiers, talk radio, Fox news, gun owners, etc? I have experienced this in 2007 with the NJEA. My bank account was compromised, I received hate mail, hate email, shunned by teachers, was threatened all for standing up against a video being shown in the school system. Who are the crazy people? I was demonized, slandered and ridiculed but people finally saw though it. If it wasn’t for God and my wife I don’t know what I would have done.

That is when I “woke up”. I started to research as to why, where and how. I looked into history and the deeper I researched the more concerned I became. I know firsthand what these people are capable of. That one year they made my life a living hell for basically using my first amendment RIGHT.

So you tell me, do you think our leadership is representing our best interests? Do you think they’ll do an “about face” and fight to protect “The Bill of Rights”? Do you think the spending, lying, media and government expansion is for our best interest?

I have seen how on a local scale what they did for simply having an opinion and after seeing what they can do on such a small scale, sitting idly by on such a big scale would be IRRESPONSIBLE on my part.

• Like 3

Bone.. lets start by agreeing that you stop questioning my spelling and I will stop questioning your grammar. You and I have a history of disagreement so this will be my one and only response unless you decide to discuss things without trying to demean and or berate me.

My depth of knowledge in regards to Isreal is not relevant to the post as I was using Isreal as an example. But, am I a middle eastern expert, no. An Isrealli or one with in depth knowledge of Isreal, no. Am I working on my MS in GeoPolitics and am responsible for analysis and interpretation of national and internation events here at work, yep. Are there people out there much smarted then me on these subjects, yep.

I am having a hard time figuring out what you disagreed with... the IRAQ II and Afghanistan were small wars or we went to war for trade? By the way just in case, oil is a trade good.

1. I didn't question your spelling.

2. You're knowledge of Israel IS relevant if you are making a point about what you think is, or would be happening there. How could it not be relevant? If I made a point about a building collapsing because of adding another opening and then said my knowledge of construction wasn't relevant would that make sense? Of course it wouldn't. Using examples only work if you have a working knowledge of the example you are using! You can't just make stuff up. I asked specifically so I wasn't assuming you were just making stuff up, for example...no where did I say you must be an absolute expert, by contrast.

3. At what point was I trying to berate or demean you?

4. To your question "what part do I disagree with", well, you threw a lot out there, saying

a) they are small wars

b) they are insignificant historically

c) they were for trade

d) the US military keeps trade open to the world

So I am not sure where you want to start

Small as in how? Lasting over a decade, costing trillions of dollars, costing tens-hundreds of thousands of lives (based of various estimates including coalition and civilian casualties). Small like that?

Insignificant how? Reshaping the Middle East, leading the enactment of unconstitutional legislation, leading to record spending, record debt, inflation, and economic downfall. Insignificant like that?

Started because of trade? As opposed to claims of WMDs, 9/11, terrorists (Al Qaeda, Taliban, etc), political gain, monetary gain, based on recommendations of lobbyists, and lies. But it was for trade? You are losing me here. Oil is a trade good. So you are saying it we went to Afghanistan and Iraq to steal oil then? Well now I am starting to see where you are coming from. Odd way of saying it...

mikelets456,

+1000

Mikelets... Never called you crazy.. ok tinfoil hat wearing, but never crazy. Please understand I am with you, I never wrote you off. am in agreement with you on prepping 100%, preparing for anything, but my argument is that you are wasting your time prepping in a protectionist fashion against government forces.

Agree with you about all the concerns in our country right now, but weigh that concern versus the overiding fear of the cold war days, Bay of Pigs or McCarthy. We lived in fear of daily atomic anihilation. A little more pressing then some liberal screaming about me being a Tea Partier. Things have been this way since our founding fathers were around, the press was run by Tories and published articles that would make you laugh, our goverment is often at odds with the populace, thank god for democracy. Why did it take us so long to get involved in WWI? Vietnam? Somalia? How many times have we had total agreement between people and gov? During the begining of our involvment in WWII, more then half the country did not want us to go to war in Europe and wanted us to focus on Japan only. How would that have worked out?

We are not in worse shape then ever before, probably our best shape ever. Prep for what you want, please do I would advise for it all the time, I am trying to get you to see that our country is doing good, it could be much better, but we are not in a toilet circling mode by any stretch of the imagination.

In a nut shell... why the concern? The people of this country want what's best, but the people in power do not. I am sorry, but these leaders are supporting the wrong countries. They are Anti-Israel, Pro-Palestine, etc. Our leaders are on the wrong side and us Americans see where this is heading. Did this {just} happen? No, it has not, but we are ready to turn the corner into something this country and its people do not recognize.

BTW, If I told you 5 years ago that the government would be running car companies, control banks, have Marxists/Maoists on staff, bypass congress, push for Universal Healthcare, strong arm the rich and coal/power plants, a super BIASED media (practically state run)etc, etc, etc you would have wrote me off as a total nut job. Now I contest if you do not see this happening right before our eyes, I ain't the nut job. There is a saying from the Marines: "better to have and not need than to need and not have". For the life of me I don't understand how preparing and being concerned makes one a nut job? You save money for a rainy day...right? One usually has some extra gas in the garage for the generator, lawn mower, lawn equipment...right? I have an extra can of propane to be prepared when the other one empties during a cook out. You have a 80 pound spare tire you lug around with you.... that's crazy? Right? Most have a fire extinguisher in their house, yet there is almost zero chance of a fire...right? I could go on and on...so why is there this mentality of being [obviously] concerned and prepared stated as "crazy, tin foil hat day"? If that is the case then the government is crazy for conducting air raids in the 50's and 60's. For telling people to build bomb shelters. For telling people to stock up on food and goods in the 50's and 60's... so which is it? Who is the crazy one? The one that prepares or the one that drives without a spare tire? Have you ever seen how this administration attacks, demonizes and goes after Tea Partiers, talk radio, Fox news, gun owners, etc? I have experienced this in 2007 with the NJEA. My bank account was compromised, I received hate mail, hate email, shunned by teachers, was threatened all for standing up against a video being shown in the school system. Who are the crazy people? I was demonized, slandered and ridiculed but people finally saw though it. If it wasn’t for God and my wife I don’t know what I would have done.

That is when I “woke up”. I started to research as to why, where and how. I looked into history and the deeper I researched the more concerned I became. I know firsthand what these people are capable of. That one year they made my life a living hell for basically using my first amendment RIGHT.

So you tell me, do you think our leadership is representing our best interests? Do you think they’ll do an “about face” and fight to protect “The Bill of Rights”? Do you think the spending, lying, media and government expansion is for our best interest?

I have seen how on a local scale what they did for simply having an opinion and after seeing what they can do on such a small scale, sitting idly by on such a big scale would be IRRESPONSIBLE on my part.

Well when u dissapear from this forum we will know why... :hopechange2sp6nv4-1:

My issue with social media monitoring, is not the day to day case of some ignorat idiot making some stupid holds no water threat. Just this past month some girl was arrested for making threats to her school via facebook in the area. My issue, is that when some idiot monitoring these networks decides he doesnt agree with what we have to say, or believe in, and he throws you on some **** list. They are starting now "tin foil hat" to compile lists of people the gov. thinks are a threat, why else would they be passing these laws allowing them to search and detain american citizens. look in the past, we have imprisoned people based whether they were german of chinese during the WW wars, how about the cold war? how many people were black listed for being commies, which by the way isnt breaking any type of law... If your on the militaries **** list and something starts here in the homeland, you can bet ur a** they will start rounding up people, just like they have done time and time again. The answer is, dont openly voice opinions you do not want the world to see. Hell you can completely make up a social media persona, for the better or worse. One thing thats good about the interwebs is the sheer magnituded of corrupt and misinformation.

This is taken directly from you post.

1. I didn't question your spelling. "Spelling aside, what do you actually...."

Small as in insignificant in world history. In no way does this demean any sacrifice put out by our armed forces, but in 100yrs, will it be taught in schools as a major world event, prob not. Shame as the turmoil created by the US involvement spurred what could be a cultural and political revolution in the middle east. But I dont think the US will be credited for this happenings.

I need more explanation of your point that our wars led to "leading the enactment of unconstitutional legislation". Our idiot lib pols did this... not a war.

Trade... business... economics, whatever you want to call it. And no I do not think that the real reason was WMDs or 9/11 (to an extent) but for trade. A business friendly and wealthy Middle East is much more secure for the US then poor, underdeloped slop holes are. Afghan War was to keep Al Qaida and Taliban from using it as a stepping stone to grabbing another ME or Gulf country (Iraq, Iran, Syria, Kuwait) and creating a regional super power, which insure US power in the region, safe guarding trade and business with those countries. A wealthy Kuwait is a happier, more US friendly Kuwait. Same as with those other countries.

Mikelets... Never called you crazy.. ok tinfoil hat wearing, but never crazy. Please understand I am with you, I never wrote you off. am in agreement with you on prepping 100%, preparing for anything, but my argument is that you are wasting your time prepping in a protectionist fashion against government forces.

Agree with you about all the concerns in our country right now, but weigh that concern versus the overiding fear of the cold war days, Bay of Pigs or McCarthy. We lived in fear of daily atomic anihilation. A little more pressing then some liberal screaming about me being a Tea Partier. Things have been this way since our founding fathers were around, the press was run by Tories and published articles that would make you laugh, our goverment is often at odds with the populace, thank god for democracy. Why did it take us so long to get involved in WWI? Vietnam? Somalia? How many times have we had total agreement between people and gov? During the begining of our involvment in WWII, more then half the country did not want us to go to war in Europe and wanted us to focus on Japan only. How would that have worked out?

We are not in worse shape then ever before, probably our best shape ever. Prep for what you want, please do I would advise for it all the time, I am trying to get you to see that our country is doing good, it could be much better, but we are not in a toilet circling mode by any stretch of the imagination.

The thing that concerns me is the leadership. Aside from Woodrow Wilson, this country has not seen the combination of debt, high unemployment (U6 @17%), unfunded liabilities in the hundreds of trillions, welfare, payoffs, massive corruption, criminals/administration on video that are not prosecuted, change in culture with attacks on everyday people, etc. A very biased and slanted media and an obvious agenda from the media, to BIG unions and on top of that 40,000 new laws added LAST year only.

Put simply, I am not as concerned about the wars of the past, present and future and understand what you are saying in those trying times. I am a HUGE supporter of our troops so please don’t what I am saying the wrong way. But my main concern is our leadership (This administration/Congress/Senate)… many have been on record saying they want to circumvent the Constitution, called vets and Tea partiers dangerous enemies, demonize and slander citizens and so forth. Never have I experienced this in my 44 year life. This is my concern as in history when government does what it wants it does not end well for the citizens. Government used to act on our concerns now they don’t even care… they are acting like a European establishment and both sides are equally as bad… well, almost.

I understand that preparing with a Rambo type attitude is not my attention, mine is to protect my family and help those in need when the SHTF. I hope to God I am wrong, but it almost seems inevitable that the bottom will drop out. Remember, when most of these atrocities happened in Germany, Russia and China the majority of people when about their daily lives. Going to movies, out to dinner, etc. One day we will wake up wondering what happened… once again I hope to God I am wrong, but it gets harder to deny with each passing day.

• Like 2

Says a government employee no less....

Because I know that we cant figure out how to wipe our own rear ends some days, let alone spend time spying on a hard working, US citizen that like to practice his 2nd amendment. Do you really think there is some many thousand strong US gov workforce out there trying to spy on the 160 million US citizens. You really think that of the DHS employees, that there are enough really smart people in there to do that job?

This is taken directly from you post.

1. I didn't question your spelling. "Spelling aside, what do you actually...."

Small as in insignificant in world history. In no way does this demean any sacrifice put out by our armed forces, but in 100yrs, will it be taught in schools as a major world event, prob not. Shame as the turmoil created by the US involvement spurred what could be a cultural and political revolution in the middle east. But I dont think the US will be credited for this happenings.

I need more explanation of your point that our wars led to "leading the enactment of unconstitutional legislation". Our idiot lib pols did this... not a war.

Trade... business... economics, whatever you want to call it. And no I do not think that the real reason was WMDs or 9/11 (to an extent) but for trade. A business friendly and wealthy Middle East is much more secure for the US then poor, underdeloped slop holes are. Afghan War was to keep Al Qaida and Taliban from using it as a stepping stone to grabbing another ME or Gulf country (Iraq, Iran, Syria, Kuwait) and creating a regional super power, which insure US power in the region, safe guarding trade and business with those countries. A wealthy Kuwait is a happier, more US friendly Kuwait. Same as with those other countries.

Spelling aside, as in, separate from, in spite of, away from consideration. Why you keep bringing it up is beside me.

If you really don't think a multi trillion dollar war of decades isn't going to be taught in history classes, then I have no further comment other than, really?

The Patriot Act, for example, was in direct response to 9/11 and the "War on Terror". The NDAA was also as a result of the "War on Terror". Both are unconstitutional. Heck, this thread was started because of what is also unconstitutional acts that our government is doing. I could go on.

Were WMD's or 9/11 the actual reasons? Of course not. You would have to be ignorant to think they were. Now, they were the reasons given by government, but we all know they always tell the truth...

Was oil a reason? You bet your a**! But in the name of trade and the US military supporting the world trade economy? Laughable really.

Afghan War was to keep Al Qaida and Taliban from using it as a stepping stone to grabbing another ME or Gulf country (Iraq, Iran, Syria, Kuwait) and creating a regional super power, which insure US power in the region, safe guarding trade and business with those countries

No it wasn't/isn't. In fact, who (beside yourself) is even claiming that?

Because I know that we cant figure out how to wipe our own rear ends some days, let alone spend time spying on a hard working, US citizen that like to practice his 2nd amendment. Do you really think there is some many thousand strong US gov workforce out there trying to spy on the 160 million US citizens. You really think that of the DHS employees, that there are enough really smart people in there to do that job?

I am not sure how you drew this conclusion from my comment. But to comment with some relevance, the DHS is admitting they are spying on the population. They are admitting it! So what I think is entirely meaningless. To the extend to which, I have no idea. And I didn't say I did either.

"but it gets harder to deny with each passing day" ... yep it does. And yes this mixture of prez/congress/senate has been nothing but a toxic mess, totally agree. Cant say I have ever been less happy with leadership. Plus I want to add a little of pop psych in here, because I dont think leadership believes there own BS most of the times, but feel they have to to pander to the idiots in our society. I will say this about my boss... I think he will go down as one of the biggest political disapointments in world history... the first black man elected to a super power, and he screwed the pooch.

By the way, prepping is my hobby. It is what we should all do.

The USA has been at war (REAL WAR) for about 20% of it's history or had the specter of ward over it's head fro another 20% of the time since the day of the country's inception. There have been few very long periods of time the US has had real peace and those periods were marred by police actions, facing insurrections, causing bloodbaths internally what have you.

But think back to what people consider a better time... 1940s dont even need to be in the equation due to WWII. The 1950s with race relations, mcartyism, threat of atomic bombs, communism, Korea etc etc. A better time, I think not. 1960s... worse then the '50s I think for uncertainty with Vietnam, Isreal, Bay of Pigs, Kennedy, USSR. The 1970s were good except for Arab nations, USSR, East Germany, middle east, China, Nixon etc etc etc....

Just because the previous 5 decades were marred by war, police actions, and social unrest doesn't mean we have to continue on that path or start regressing for no good reason. I'm not anti-war but to what end and at what cost?

I'd prefer the people running the country addressed the real issues. They can start by shaping our foreign policy using information already known by many people in the intelligence community.

Shame as the turmoil created by the US involvement spurred what could be a cultural and political revolution in the middle east. But I dont think the US will be credited for this happenings.

A business friendly and wealthy Middle East is much more secure for the US then poor, underdeloped slop holes are. Afghan War was to keep Al Qaida and Taliban from using it as a stepping stone to grabbing another ME or Gulf country (Iraq, Iran, Syria, Kuwait) and creating a regional super power, which insure US power in the region, safe guarding trade and business with those countries. A wealthy Kuwait is a happier, more US friendly Kuwait. Same as with those other countries.

A cultural revolution that will shift the ME from once U.S. supported Tyrannies to unfriendly Theocracies. These countries are not going to be democratic and are not likely to be very friendly trade partners to the U.S. They won't soon forget the bombings, support for oppressive regimes, and what not. I don't see it being a "business friendly" environment any time soon.

Do you really think there is some many thousand strong US gov workforce out there trying to spy on the 160 million US citizens. You really think that of the DHS employees, that there are enough really smart people in there to do that job?

You may be discounting the role of technology a bit.