Sign in to follow this  
njplinker

Help Me Choose My First Pistol

I recently got my FID and 3 pistol permits and am in the process of picking up my first pistol. I've gone to several shops and recently made trips to two separate ranges to rent several pistols and see what was most comfortable in my hand and what I felt the most comfortable shooting. Here was my initial list of criteria.

1. Simple, reliable operation

2. Semi-auto with a decent mag capacity

3. Fit my largish size hands (size 9.5 or XL gloves)

4. Not 'too' big or heavy so my wife with mid sized hands could use on occasion or if the need arised

5. Affordable ammo as I plan to practice a lot

6. Somewhere south of $800, but with wiggle room

7. Looks not really important

8. Ambidextrous controls not required, but a plus

With the above in mind and based on all the (dis) information on the web, reading forums for lots of specific manufacturers and other more general firearm forums, I decided (correctly or not) to focus my initial search on a full or mid size frame, polymer, striker fired 9mm. I started first at the NJ Firearm Guild in Rahway as they are just a short drive away and based on all the feedback here, have a wide selection of pistols. The salesman (embarrassed that I'm blanking on his name) was super helpful and spent over an hour showing me pistols from all the major manufacturers that weren't just limited to what I thought I wanted. He showed me pistols from Glock (19/17), SIG (226/229), S&W (M&P 9 and M&P 9 Pro), Beretta (92FS/PX4), Springfield (XD/XDM), Ruger (SP9), CZ (75b), H&K (P30/P2000), FN (FNP/FNX), Walther (P99/PPQ), and I'm sure there were others. The salesman really didn't try to sway me in any direction, rather suggested it most importantly feel good in my hand and the trigger feel comfortable. Additionally he showed me how each pistol field stripped and re-assembled. I have to say, I really enjoyed the visit and even though prices were a good bit higher than can be bought online, I might go there for the final purchase just for the service.

I didn't much care for the Beretta 92FS, due to the grip size, weight and difficulty I was having activating the mag release and the same went for the weight and feel of the CZ 75B. I didn't like the SA XD/XDM feel or the grip safety and the Ruger SP9 just felt cheap with that rubber back strap. Honestly don't really remember anything for or against the FN's. All in all, there wasn't anything really wrong with any of them, these just just didn't seem to be for me.

From just fondling the guns and seeing how they fit my hand, here was the short list of guns that I liked:

- Glock 19 and 17

- S&W M&P

- Beretta PX4

- SIG 226

- HK P30

- Walther PPQ

Based on the salesman's recommendation, I visited their range in Easton to rent several of their pistols and here are my impressions. Again, the people at Heritage Guild were super nice and very helpful. I took some additional time to look at the pistols on my short list and

then headed to the rental counter. Ten minutes later, I had four boxes of 9mm American Eagle and tags for the Glock 19/17, SIG 226, S&W M&P 9 Pro and the HK P30. Sadly they didn't have a PPQ or PX4 to rent. Here's my opinions and results (sorry no photos):

- S&W M&P 9 Pro - This pistol felt good in my hands and was the easiest for me to actuate the mag release without excessive movement, I think in part because it is a narrower grip. The trigger on this pistol is the upgraded version (forget the designation) and comes with fiber optic front sight. The trigger really doesn't have much feel, has a somewhat soft break and no real reset to be felt, but it was very smooth. Took me a few rounds to figure out where the POA should be as the sights are a bit small, but once I did, I shot this pistol the best. Downsides are size with its really long barrel and long grip, limited 10 round magazines in NJ (reported 15 rounders out there, but none seem to be available). I later shot the standard version of the gun and it's trigger is worlds apart....not for me.

- Glock 17/19 both Gen 4 - These two for some reason felt natural in my hand. Not sure why, perhaps because I've shot them both before with friends and at my NRA First Steps class, but they felt good. The larger mag release was in a good position and I had no issues activating it. The slide release is small, but I honestly liked the austerity of the slide...nice and clean. I liked the sights as they were clear and easy to see and line up. The trigger was a nice consistent DAO pull each time with a medium weight, longer take up but nice break and a crisp reset. FYI, both G17 and G19 were Gen 4 with 12/XX/11 fire dates and had upgraded RSA and Ejectors, and were 100% reliable with no brass to the face. I shot these two with equal results and not far behind the M&P. The 17 would be almost perfect, but limited to 10 round magazines in NJ. The 19 was a close second, comes in 15 rd magazines, but was just a smidge short in the grip.

- SIG 226 - I hadn't wanted a SA/DA, nor a full metal gun to start, but the 226 also felt really good in my hand, but in a different way than the above pistols. It had what I think are the E2 polymer grips and they are a bit wider and rounder than the thinner M&P and the blockier Glock grips. I was initially intimidated by the SA/DA, but it really isn't complicated and the smooth decocker kind of quelled my concerns. Mag release was natural, but the slide release along with the decocker makes for a somewhat cluttered side. The SA is long and heavy at around 10 lbs, but the DA has a very short reset and a light crisp pull. All in all, a really nice pistol that I shot well, though not as well as the above three (no doubt my own limitations). Cost was a bit higher than initially wanted to spend, but within my wiggle room

- H&K P30 - Initially didn't even consider this based on the cost, but this thing fit like a glove and had great ergos. Loved the mag release location and it came with 15 rd magazines. The decocker location was odd and the action abrupt. The trigger was super crisp with a short/crisp reset and very different than all the above. The sights however were not for me, with a very narrow front sight and dim night sights. From an ergo and trigger perspective, this one was the winner for me, but oddly enough I shot it the worst. It's obviously my inexperience and probably because it was last in line after 150 shots before it, but I was all over the map. Cost again was a bit higher, but could stretch the budget.

The two that I really wish I was able to rent was the PX4 and the PPQ. Starting with the PPQ, it was so similar to the P30 in ergos and trigger feel (at least from dry firing), but at half the price. The PX4 felt really nice in my hand and I really liked the trigger feel through a couple of dry fires, though fit and finish didn't seem up to the levels of the others and the safety/decocker had really sharp edges and the hard drop of the hammer with the decock was alarming. I still wish I was able to shoot it though as it did feel nice in my hand

I'm pass on the M&P Pro for it's size and mag capacity limits and didn't like the trigger on the standard version at all. I think I'm going to rule out the H&K for the cost for now (poor shooting results probably weighing in there some as well). The SIG 226 was a really great pistol, but might not be the best first choice. So right now, I'm kind of leaning towards the Glock 19 Gen 4 for my first pistol. It felt good in my hand, will likely fit my wife's hand as well, was simple to operate, I shot it well and comes with Glock's reputation for reliability. Seems a bit boring, but also a good reliable choice that will allow me to focus on fundamentals and have some cash left over to buy ammo. I'll also have 2 other permits to possibly pick up a 226 or a PPQ in the future along with a .22 Ruger 22/45 that I planned to get all along.

Wow, this really turned into a novel. Thanks for reading this far and let me know if you have any of my impressions were off base of if you have any suggestions or words of wisdom.

Thanks again,

Michael

• Like 1

Sounds to me like you've already figured out which pistol you liked best... If the Glock worked for you and you shot well with it, then follow your instinct :)

Personally, I can't shoot the side of a barn with a Glock... It just doesn't feel right in my hand... but for others it's a great fit.

Thanks for the input guys. While I know the G19 would be a safe choice, part of me really wants to go for the Sig 226 or the Walther PPQ right off the bat, maybe just need my arm twisted. Really none of them stood leaps and bounds above the rest and I'm sure my inexperience is the root of any poor performance (not the pistols' fault).

To NJDiverTony.....Regarding the Apex trigger kit for the M&P, I had read a little about it before and some say it meets or surpasses the version on the Pro model. Is it the DCAEK one that I should be looking at? If so, that's $90 plus $75 for three 15 round mags, puts the M&P in the $700 range. Food for thought.

Too bad the NJ permit process is such a pain and I can't just get anything I want, whenever I want and trade it in or sell it if not all that I had hoped.

Michael

Coming from a guy who was gung ho on getting a glock (which I shot and carried on numerous occasions), I am so much happier with my XD. IMO, I think it is more comfortable to shoot, and just a nicer gun, and a good price. I got my Bi-Tone for under $600

My advice to you is to get a used gun for your first gun at a good price. That way if it isn't right, you won't be out too much if you resell it. Since you liked the Glock, consider looking for a Glock 23 and then get a 9mm conversion barrel for it and some magazines. For your second gun, I would think about getting a nice 22LR revolver. It will help you learn trigger control if you practice shooting it in double action and it will build your skills.

You mentioned you liked the Sig P226, but may have not wanted an all metal gun. Sig also has polymer framed guns, I believe they are the Sigpro and/or P250 line. As for triggers, most manufacturers have DA/SA and DAO options whichever you may prefer.

SImple Choice. Glock 19 Gen4 - Big backstrap for your hands, small backstrap for the wife.

As far as the Beretta PX4 hammer dropping, there is no need to worry. The decocker lever actually turns the firing pin downward before the hammer drops. The hammer drops onto flat steel. Even if the hammer dropped somehow, there is a firing pin block that can only be disengaged by pulling the trigger. And those big levers can be removed and low profile ones can be installed, however then yu will have a type g PX4. Meaning, no manual safety, decocker only. They are sold like that as type g's, so it is factory spec.

BTW...RSTP range has a 9mm PX4 that you can rent to try.

I won't recommed you a gun because all the ones you listed work fine. I found that almost everyone who buys a handgun either decides it isn't something they are going to shoot a lot, maybe once or twice a year OR they end up shooting it a lot. If you shoot it little all that matters is that it works. Trigger, sights, etc matter little if you are not going to practice a lot. If you end up practicing a lot then you learn more, you get to know more about what you prefer, and btw those preferences change with time and that means you buy more guns, likely different then the first one.

So my normal advice now is "buy whatever fits well in your hands from a reputable brand shoot 3000-5000 rounds and come back so we can talk about your second gun". I'm not trying to be mean, but it is like a first time driver asking what the right car is for them. Test drives at the dealership are not enough to let a new driver know if they like small torque mad racers or mud trucks or large sedans, a couple of years of driving lets them know.

• Like 1

You mentioned you liked the Sig P226, but may have not wanted an all metal gun. Sig also has polymer framed guns, I believe they are the Sigpro and/or P250 line. As for triggers, most manufacturers have DA/SA and DAO options whichever you may prefer.

I did mention I didn't like the heft of an all metal pistol, but should have qualified that as the all 'steel' pistols I tried. The SIG weighs about the same as the others, but somehow felt different. Don't know if the the aluminum frame changed the balance or what. I thought I would have a problem with the SA/DA trigger, but actually overcame that pretty quickly and could probably be fine with either.

Still cant seem to decide. My gut says G19, but my heart/eyes say P226 or PPQ.

Michael

Go with your gut, don't ignore your intenstines, your heart gets all misty eyed and has summer romances and then gets you stuck with child support.

LOL. Probably sound advice.

Thanks everyone for their advice. I'll make my decision in the next few days, then move on to the .22 I had planned to buy all along. Will probably be back to relay my impressions and get input on pistol #3.

Michael

I went through a similar situation about a month ago. After feeling the glocks comforming grips and reasonable creepless trigger reach I initially favored the Glock 17. I ended up buying the Sig 226 simply because it felt as good as it looked. I still shoot my friends Glock 17 just as much as the Sig. I've always admired how easy it was to get that trigger break on the Glock, but after consistently shooting both I'm glad I went with the Sig. My groups with the Sig on SA were originally not as accurate as the Glock, but after alot of practice I got more accurate and faster with the Sig. It's a completely different feeling between both pistols. I'm just alot more excited to get the Sig in my hand than I'll ever get with the Glock.

njplinker,

also remember that with certain makes / models you can opt for a .40 cal chambered gun instead (such as the Glocks or M&Ps) and simply buy a conversion barrel (and magazines) to practice with less expensive 9mm ammo. Then you have a .40 and 9mm in each gun. The conversion barrels are relatively inexpensive (maybe about $120-160) but that buys you alot of versatility and then you can convert back to .40 cal for home defense with good ammo. Just something to think about. I myself am getting several of the M&Ps, two PRO models and the compact. I'm going to get conversion barrels for two of the guns (the 5" barrel and the 3.5" barrel) and a bunch of magazines that will all be interchangable. Plus I may also get a 9mm PPQ too. The PPQ is a great pistol.

Thanks giantsfan....had kind of forgotten about the barrel conversion options. Probably going to stick with stock 9mm for now and think about conversions later down the line (particularly for a .22 conversion).

Have a couple requests out for pricing on the G19, PPQ and P226 and going to make my decision asap.

Thanks again,

Michael

The PPQ's are between $485 and $525 depending on where you go. I like them a lot (obviously). You just need to decide if you like the mag release, since it is not a button. I've adapted without any issues.

How come you're not looking at the P229 - it is closer to the size of the G19 and PPQ? The Sig will be several hundred dollars more expensive.

TheWombat

My opinion is obvious. GLOCK 19. 15 rounds, three internal safties, SIMPLE safety training(booger picker off the bang switch and you're safe as in your momma's arms) JUST REMEMBER NO MAGAZINE SAFETY.

Pinky extensions are available. Extended mag catch and extended slide stop are mega cheap and if you're a northern guy I'll install them for free.

My Go To pistol is a G19 extended slide stop release and extended mag release. Otherwise totally stock.

• Like 1

Glock 19 is the way to go.

I think the Glock 19 is the default pistol. If you don't buy one (I didn't) you need a reason. I prefer the M&P9. Having shot a bunch of pistols at the range, I really, really prefer the polymer striker pistols. They are very simple and just plain shoot.

No matter what pistol I buy, I second guess myself. Just go buy a nice pistol and bunch of ammo and go shooting.

I recently got my FID and 3 pistol permits and am in the process of picking up my first pistol. I've gone to several shops and recently made trips to two separate ranges to rent several pistols and see what was most comfortable in my hand and what I felt the most comfortable shooting. Here was my initial list of criteria.

1. Simple, reliable operation

2. Semi-auto with a decent mag capacity

3. Fit my largish size hands (size 9.5 or XL gloves)

4. Not 'too' big or heavy so my wife with mid sized hands could use on occasion or if the need arised

5. Affordable ammo as I plan to practice a lot

6. Somewhere south of $800, but with wiggle room

7. Looks not really important

8. Ambidextrous controls not required, but a plus

With the above in mind and based on all the (dis) information on the web, reading forums for lots of specific manufacturers and other more general firearm forums, I decided (correctly or not) to focus my initial search on a full or mid size frame, polymer, striker fired 9mm. I started first at the NJ Firearm Guild in Rahway as they are just a short drive away and based on all the feedback here, have a wide selection of pistols. The salesman (embarrassed that I'm blanking on his name) was super helpful and spent over an hour showing me pistols from all the major manufacturers that weren't just limited to what I thought I wanted. He showed me pistols from Glock (19/17), SIG (226/229), S&W (M&P 9 and M&P 9 Pro), Beretta (92FS/PX4), Springfield (XD/XDM), Ruger (SP9), CZ (75b), H&K (P30/P2000), FN (FNP/FNX), Walther (P99/PPQ), and I'm sure there were others. The salesman really didn't try to sway me in any direction, rather suggested it most importantly feel good in my hand and the trigger feel comfortable. Additionally he showed me how each pistol field stripped and re-assembled. I have to say, I really enjoyed the visit and even though prices were a good bit higher than can be bought online, I might go there for the final purchase just for the service.

I didn't much care for the Beretta 92FS, due to the grip size, weight and difficulty I was having activating the mag release and the same went for the weight and feel of the CZ 75B. I didn't like the SA XD/XDM feel or the grip safety and the Ruger SP9 just felt cheap with that rubber back strap. Honestly don't really remember anything for or against the FN's. All in all, there wasn't anything really wrong with any of them, these just just didn't seem to be for me.

From just fondling the guns and seeing how they fit my hand, here was the short list of guns that I liked:

- Glock 19 and 17

- S&W M&P

- Beretta PX4

- SIG 226

- HK P30

- Walther PPQ

Based on the salesman's recommendation, I visited their range in Easton to rent several of their pistols and here are my impressions. Again, the people at Heritage Guild were super nice and very helpful. I took some additional time to look at the pistols on my short list and

then headed to the rental counter. Ten minutes later, I had four boxes of 9mm American Eagle and tags for the Glock 19/17, SIG 226, S&W M&P 9 Pro and the HK P30. Sadly they didn't have a PPQ or PX4 to rent. Here's my opinions and results (sorry no photos):

- S&W M&P 9 Pro - This pistol felt good in my hands and was the easiest for me to actuate the mag release without excessive movement, I think in part because it is a narrower grip. The trigger on this pistol is the upgraded version (forget the designation) and comes with fiber optic front sight. The trigger really doesn't have much feel, has a somewhat soft break and no real reset to be felt, but it was very smooth. Took me a few rounds to figure out where the POA should be as the sights are a bit small, but once I did, I shot this pistol the best. Downsides are size with its really long barrel and long grip, limited 10 round magazines in NJ (reported 15 rounders out there, but none seem to be available). I later shot the standard version of the gun and it's trigger is worlds apart....not for me.

- Glock 17/19 both Gen 4 - These two for some reason felt natural in my hand. Not sure why, perhaps because I've shot them both before with friends and at my NRA First Steps class, but they felt good. The larger mag release was in a good position and I had no issues activating it. The slide release is small, but I honestly liked the austerity of the slide...nice and clean. I liked the sights as they were clear and easy to see and line up. The trigger was a nice consistent DAO pull each time with a medium weight, longer take up but nice break and a crisp reset. FYI, both G17 and G19 were Gen 4 with 12/XX/11 fire dates and had upgraded RSA and Ejectors, and were 100% reliable with no brass to the face. I shot these two with equal results and not far behind the M&P. The 17 would be almost perfect, but limited to 10 round magazines in NJ. The 19 was a close second, comes in 15 rd magazines, but was just a smidge short in the grip.

- SIG 226 - I hadn't wanted a SA/DA, nor a full metal gun to start, but the 226 also felt really good in my hand, but in a different way than the above pistols. It had what I think are the E2 polymer grips and they are a bit wider and rounder than the thinner M&P and the blockier Glock grips. I was initially intimidated by the SA/DA, but it really isn't complicated and the smooth decocker kind of quelled my concerns. Mag release was natural, but the slide release along with the decocker makes for a somewhat cluttered side. The SA is long and heavy at around 10 lbs, but the DA has a very short reset and a light crisp pull. All in all, a really nice pistol that I shot well, though not as well as the above three (no doubt my own limitations). Cost was a bit higher than initially wanted to spend, but within my wiggle room

- H&K P30 - Initially didn't even consider this based on the cost, but this thing fit like a glove and had great ergos. Loved the mag release location and it came with 15 rd magazines. The decocker location was odd and the action abrupt. The trigger was super crisp with a short/crisp reset and very different than all the above. The sights however were not for me, with a very narrow front sight and dim night sights. From an ergo and trigger perspective, this one was the winner for me, but oddly enough I shot it the worst. It's obviously my inexperience and probably because it was last in line after 150 shots before it, but I was all over the map. Cost again was a bit higher, but could stretch the budget.

The two that I really wish I was able to rent was the PX4 and the PPQ. Starting with the PPQ, it was so similar to the P30 in ergos and trigger feel (at least from dry firing), but at half the price. The PX4 felt really nice in my hand and I really liked the trigger feel through a couple of dry fires, though fit and finish didn't seem up to the levels of the others and the safety/decocker had really sharp edges and the hard drop of the hammer with the decock was alarming. I still wish I was able to shoot it though as it did feel nice in my hand

I'm pass on the M&P Pro for it's size and mag capacity limits and didn't like the trigger on the standard version at all. I think I'm going to rule out the H&K for the cost for now (poor shooting results probably weighing in there some as well). The SIG 226 was a really great pistol, but might not be the best first choice. So right now, I'm kind of leaning towards the Glock 19 Gen 4 for my first pistol. It felt good in my hand, will likely fit my wife's hand as well, was simple to operate, I shot it well and comes with Glock's reputation for reliability. Seems a bit boring, but also a good reliable choice that will allow me to focus on fundamentals and have some cash left over to buy ammo. I'll also have 2 other permits to possibly pick up a 226 or a PPQ in the future along with a .22 Ruger 22/45 that I planned to get all along.

Wow, this really turned into a novel. Thanks for reading this far and let me know if you have any of my impressions were off base of if you have any suggestions or words of wisdom.

Thanks again,

Michael

LOL, you did better than me justifying the Glock 19 on my blog...

LOL. Probably sound advice.

Thanks everyone for their advice. I'll make my decision in the next few days, then move on to the .22 I had planned to buy all along. Will probably be back to relay my impressions and get input on pistol #3.

Michael

Get the .22 conversion for the Glock to save money on ammo and get more trigger time. Vlad G. was right--If you don't practice it doesn't matter what gun it is or what is on it sight wise!

If you & the Wife have different size hands, you need to make sure that she has a hand gun (or a 20 ga. pump youth model shotgun) that she can get to at home when you're not there. It should fit her hands, not yours. If that's not possible with the options you've outlined, may I be so bold as to recommend a used S&W Model 586 .357 with 4" tube. Women LOVE to shoot this gun and hit quite well with it! I teach them how to penis the hammer back and fire it single action with .38 spls. and they can hit clay birds at 15 yards no problem--their first time shooting! Her hands ride up on the grip to get a better hold & control recoil, and your big paws can ride down the grips till it feels good in your hands. Having 15 shots is nice but somewhat useless if they don't hit their mark. The confidence that comes from practice will give her the edge she needs to defend herself, God forbid she has to.

You've just started in the hobby, so welcome to a long journey. Practice teaches you just where the sear lets go so the bang isn't a complete surprise. Most Instructors tell you (from the Book) that the bang should be a surprise. I call BS on that! By KNOWING when the gun will fire you'll be better able to call your shots before you walk up to the target to check. Calling your shots means that you have the ability to mentally correct what you're doing wrong--like not following through the shot, yanking the gun sideways as you pull instead of squeeze the trigger and a host of other things for example. This all comes with the practice that Vlad G. spoke of. Listen to him, for he knows his stuff! And he has a Wife with small hands thats pretty darn good with her 20 ga. Youth Model too!

I'm also hoping to purchase a handgun in about a month, with similar choices. For those who are recommending the Glock 19, why that instead of the 17? Is it just because of 15 round magazines vs. 10 round?

Yes. I own both, and while the 17 fits me best, the 19 holds more rounds while still being comfortable to shoot. If you can pin the 17 rounders down to a 15, then the Glock 17 would kick some major a**...

EDIT: I would like to add though, if you buy a Glock 17, you can purchase aftermarket .22lr conversion kits to practice with... I don't think they make those for the Glock 19 though...