notmetoo

Camping gun

So, my son and I like to camp and the past few years we've been going further into the backcountry. Shenandoah NP, Zion NP, etc. In the states that allow some kind of carry we can carry in the National Parks and some states allow carry in their state parks.

Anyway, I'm looking for recommendations for a handgun to take with us when camping. This would be for use primarily against the deadliest threat: other people. But, we've crossed paths with our fair share of bear. In reality, anything would work, but I'd like to hear your opinions. I'd like to keep the price under or close to $500 and it needs stopping power. Yes a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in .454 Casull could work, but not in my budget. What else? Lots of white space below, please fill it.

Thanks!

Get a few Hi-Point's cheap and for what they cost you could not only have 3 for what your looking to spend, but you wouldn't care if you dropped them in a mud puddle either..

Like this?: Father-Son Combo 45 & 9mm HI-POINT Pistols sounds perfect.

Is Hi-Point any good? I've seen airsoft guns that cost more.

I backpack frequently and although I never bring a firearm with me, I'm surprised that you're looking for a pistol for people more so than wildlife. Well not really surprised about that, because some people out on the trail are just friggin weird, but the fact that you need a pistol tailored for that....

Do you own any pistols right now? Why wouldn't you be able to use them? Or are you looking for something that can take a beating while hiking and whatnot?

I'd probably suggest something with large capacity mags but is also a rather large caliber. That way you can feel comfortable defending yourself from people, but also large animals.

Edit: If I carried firearms while I hiked, I would conceal a pistol and most likely carry a 12ga. I feel that most pistol calibers are inadequate for large animals, so I would go big with the shotgun.

Like this?: Father-Son Combo 45 & 9mm HI-POINT Pistols sounds perfect.

Is Hi-Point any good? I've seen airsoft guns that cost more.

Ask Bob, aka Reed338 on the forum, he has one, and I have a lot of friends around the country that have them and use them for travel and camping guns and not a complaint from any of them. They aren't high quality, but they are damn good guns, and not just for the price.

My first thougthts would be a Charter Arms revolver in .40 S&W, the Pitbull, or a Stoeger Cougar 8040 or 8045. You might be able to get a Glock 23 for about $400, or a used .357 Ruger Revolver. Look for an older Speed Six in .357. If you aren't afraid of the fauna too much, then a 9mm, such as a Stoegar 8000 or a Ruger LC9 might do the trick, or the Glock 19.

Usually Harry has some good advice, but F$*! Hipoint's. Sure, some people say they are reliable but there are tons of more options that are proven to be reliable and will serve better than a Hipoint.

Camping gun dude, mud, dirt, crappy weather, drop in a steam while fishing, Perfect gun for that environment.

if youre looking at handguns, then the JUdge,, u can shoot a 45 bullet and also a .410 shotgun shell out of it with no mods needed just slide it in and shoot,, so u got your big animal and snake caliber all in one,,, plus revolver easier to clean if it gets dirty or wet whille camping,,,

Glock 21...for animals and people. You can carry it comfortably all day and have 13 rounds of .45ACP.

In the same mindset, you can get a 20 in 10mm, and not have to worry about small-medium bears.

Harry, while I wouldn't hesitate recommending a hi-point for someone who wants something cheap that won't see mud or water, I cannot agree with you if the gun is going to see these elements. It doesn't take much to foul one, and once it's dirty, the hipoints that I've shot just don't cycle.

OP, I would look to something in .357 at a minimum, but have my doubts about a revolver that's going to get the crap beaten out of it. I would recommend a modern plastic-fantastic weapon in the $400+ range chambered in 45. Also, look into some heavy soft-points if you do come across bear, in order to get yourself the best penetration possible.

Ask Bob, aka Reed338 on the forum, he has one, and I have a lot of friends around the country that have them and use them for travel and camping guns and not a complaint from any of them. They aren't high quality, but they are damn good guns, and not just for the price.

i took my 9mm hi point to the last steel match probably put 175 rounds through it no jams or failure to fire it just kept going. no they are not pretty nor high quality they just work. if you like stop by and you are more than welcome to try it out i also have the 45 if you like .

me i would like to move up in the power factor if carrying for bear a nice 4 to 6" 44 mag sounds about right .

Harry, while I wouldn't hesitate recommending a hi-point for someone who wants something cheap that won't see mud or water, I cannot agree with you if the gun is going to see these elements. It doesn't take much to foul one, and once it's dirty, the hipoints that I've shot just don't cycle.

OP, I would look to something in .357 at a minimum, but have my doubts about a revolver that's going to get the crap beaten out of it. I would recommend a modern plastic-fantastic weapon in the $400+ range chambered in 45. Also, look into some heavy soft-points if you do come across bear, in order to get yourself the best penetration possible.

What would that modern plastic-fantastic weapon in the $400+ range be?

I know the OP mentioned the gun would be primarily for protection against people, but if it's also going to be for protection against bears, I would think that a suitable caliber would have to be at least .357 Mag, 10mm or .44 Mag.

Anything less than that would be hard to stop an attacking bear, I would think.

9mm or .45 ACP, would just piss a bear off

Then again, if you're smart with controlling food scents and etc when in the backcountry, you won't have to worry about bears... And a can of bear spray would probably be enough, in the unlikely event of coming face to face with a bear.

I'd go for a 357 mag.in SS. Kinda hard to beat the crap out of one like the GP100, that gun just by its robust build defaults to a decent club. A semi, IMO is more prone to attracting gunk with all the levers, slide, mag interior, open action if cocked/locked...Plus the revolver is just point and shoot, totally one handed if needed.

I'm shocked that a grizzly was dropped with a .45acp! Not easy to do on a charging bear, the size of a grizzly.

434lbs is not a very big brown bear. I routinely have black bears around here that are bigger.

You also hear about people dying from a shot from a BB gun. It's statistically outside of the norm and while possible, I wouldn't bet my life on it.

If you're worried about bears, you need .44 magnum, .41 magnum, .454 casul, .460SW etc. Magnum loads, heavy grain bullets and a guarantee of lots of penetration.

Then again, if you're smart with controlling food scents and etc when in the backcountry, you won't have to worry about bears... And a can of bear spray would probably be enough, in the unlikely event of coming face to face with a bear.

We're careful in-camp with our food - use a bear bag hung from a tree branch and clean up thoroughly. However, even on the trail we had a mama bear and two cubs slide down a tree not twenty yards from us. We must have surprised them even though we are FAR from quiet (on purpose). Plus, even if you're careful at the camp it doesn't mean the people there the night before were.

Really, I'm not overly concerned about bears. They are usually more scared of you than vice versa. The only animals that have ever attacked me out in the woods were a snake and an eagle. Maybe the Judge is a good idea...

glock 20 dude, it's light for hiking, 15 rounds of 10mm, tough gun in the elements, mud, water, sand wont effect it, its a glock. plus you can load it low power like a 40 cal or super hot like a 41 cal., you can get hollow points or hard cast bullets for big stuff. its very versital and if you look you can get a used one for a great price. it's one of my favorite guns i own.

Glock 21...for animals and people. You can carry it comfortably all day and have 13 rounds of .45ACP.

In the same mindset, you can get a 20 in 10mm, and not have to worry about small-medium bears.

glock 20 dude, it's light for hiking, 15 rounds of 10mm, tough gun in the elements, mud, water, sand wont effect it, its a glock. plus you can load it low power like a 40 cal or super hot like a 41 cal., you can get hollow points or hard cast bullets for big stuff. its very versital and if you look you can get a used one for a great price. it's one of my favorite guns i own.

Ditto these posts. I would take the G21 .45ACP or the G20 10mm backpacking or hiking.

Get a stainless 4" 357. Ruger, S&W, or Taurus.

You can get Speer shotshells for snakes or deal with them as I have in the past. Walk around them.

At the other end of the spectrum a 158 JSP or SWC can take a black bear (yes a 41 0r 44 is much better).

all kinds of loads for everything in between.

most problems with animals can be avoided by being alert.