tuktuk

Semi-auto for HD

Then if the problem has already escalated, you shouldn't be foolish enough to approach a criminal that broke into your house with an uncharged firearm. Let's get real, this isn't the movies. You wanna walk out all gung-ho with your M1 Garand, chicken wing it like a mo-fo, and tell the burglar to get off your lawn....that's your own prerogative. Walk into a potential life threatening situation unprepared, with your firearm uncharged, and your chances of living to talk about it dwindle.

No one is saying about approacing a criminal with an uncharged firearm. The question was if you rack a round in a shotgun a pump shotgun speaks a universal language, does it deter anything. Some say yes some say no. Have you ever racked a shotgun with the intention of using it against a threat? No one thinks this is hollywood.

Yes, I would be surprised because I think that it is a myth that a clicking sound makes a burglar/intruder run off. Before they enter a house, either they care to confront the home owner or they don't. Those that don't wish to confront anyone will flee at _ANY_ sound and to those that don't care they won't think to themselves "OMG, This guy has a shotgun, if it were just a .357, I wouldn't care, but a shotgun, OMG, I might die".

yup

Honestly I went with a pump based on less mechanical things to go wrong...if I die because of user error it's my fault...it would suck to die because my shotty malfunctioned. Living in an apartment I'd rather go with my handgun anyway.

Whether or not the sound of a shotgun racking will scare someone off is really up to the person committing the crime so I doubt there will ever be a definitive answer. I would never rely on the sound of a shotgun racking. I don't keep mine chambered (maybe I should) so I'd have to rack it and hope for the best. I live in an apartment so my shotty isn't my go to weapon. I'd have to get a shorter shotty to maneuver around here, and the whole over penetration thing really comes into play if I did. If I lived in a house then it would be chambered and ready and probably more of a go to weapon.

How would it be set up? Meaning how big of a piece do you need per test (do you need a full sheet), how many pieces do you need per test, how many rounds of each brand would you have to test to get a good sample? Might make for a fun, informative meetup in the spring. Could also settle a lot of debate.

How would it be set up? Meaning how big of a piece do you need per test (do you need a full sheet), how many pieces do you need per test, how many rounds of each brand would you have to test to get a good sample? Might make for a fun, informative meetup in the spring. Could also settle a lot of debate.

Plywood, 12 gauge loads, and 5, 7, 10 and 15 feet shots.

I have some pieces of OSB from a shed that I was going to trash. I can save them if you guys wanna use them for target practice, just let me know. Also have a bunch of 2x4's and 2x3's you can use to build walls with. This stuff has been outside a long time, would be perfect for testing shotgun loads, or burning in an outdoor pit. ;)

I have some pieces of OSB from a shed that I was going to trash. I can save them if you guys wanna use them for target practice, just let me know. Also have a bunch of 2x4's and 2x3's you can use to build walls with. This stuff has been outside a long time, would be perfect for testing shotgun loads, or burning in an outdoor pit. ;)
Nice, but I would recommend anyone who wants to try this to let the powers to be at whatever location know whats going on and get permission. Heck an invite to them to also participate would be nice, some might want to see it for real an in person and not just go by what they have seen in books and in the web. Plus the cleanup with them there seeing it is all you need to not get blamed for everyones else's garbage that didn't get cleaned up.

Heck, let Dave have at-it too! I have no problem building the walls and bringing them over, no problem cleaning-up the mess either, it can all come back home with me, not left in the dumpster there. If people are interested in it we can check with the club and see if it is a problem or not.

I have a friend that plans on buying a new shotgun with a 3 1/2" chamber and I have been dying to try out my 3 1/2" shells!

and let some of the uninformed here see what birdshot does up close

Police think the suspect was not more seriously injured because he was wearing heavy clothing that stopped some of the birdshot.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2010/12/mecosta_county_homeowner_fires.html

The problem with birdshot is that it does not penetrate enough to be effective as a defense round. Birdshot is designed to bring down little birds.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3_2.htm

4. Birdshot does not excessively penetrate drywall walls. But it does not penetrate deeply enough to reach a bad guy's vital organs. Birdshot makes a nasty but shallow wound. It is not a good Stopper.

Use Birdshot for little birds. Use 00 Buckshot for bad guys.

box o truth

some people might, I think most will use a pump just because they are stupid simple. auto loaders have more moving parts, more things to break, more things that MIGHT go wrong when you need it most.

when I think home defense, I think pump shotgun, revolver, and a quality proven semi auto pistol.

Disagree. Especially when you see some modern autoloaders like Benellis and Mossberg 930s... Hell, my 930 is way easier to take apart and has as many, or even fewer parts than my Remington 870.

Not to mention, you can still shoot a semi-auto if your supporting arm is crippled... good luck trying to use a pump one handed...

• Like 1

Disagree. Especially when you see some modern autoloaders like Benellis and Mossberg 930s... Hell, my 930 is way easier to take apart and has as many, or even fewer parts than my Remington 870.

Not to mention, you can still shoot a semi-auto if your supporting arm is crippled... good luck trying to use a pump one handed...

Remember terminator.. You can pump one handed and make it even cooler...lol

• Like 1

Remember terminator.. You can pump one handed and make it even cooler...lol

A lot easier to shoot with a semi...

I mean, heck, even after the 1986 Miami FBI blunder, they realized the pitfalls of pump-action shotguns... on the one hand, they are simple and reliable, but on the other hand, you need two hands to be effective.

As you can see, not much changed during your absence :)

I'm watching for the inevitable turn to ammo, and why slugs as a second load are better than whatever, because once you knock him down with your #7/#4/#00, you can walk over and put the finishing touch into his head and gleefully watch it explode into tiny pieces of bone and brain.

I know it's coming....

I'm watching for the inevitable turn to ammo, and why slugs as a second load are better than whatever, because once you knock him down with your #7/#4/#00, you can walk over and put the finishing touch into his head and gleefully watch it explode into tiny pieces of bone and brain.

I know it's coming....

If Sirsloop was still around it probably would have been posted already... :facepalm: