LastShot

Cherry Ridge

just curious, was there any reference to the front gate?

It's always open for now. They haven't been very clear on when it will be operational but I have my key for it, said it would take time to activate the key like 3 months or so. But they give out the code for it, even tho like they said it will probably remain open for a while.

Joined today! 

That's how gun happiness looks: outdoor range with a lot of positions for all firearm types, no time limit and 50/100/200/300 for rifle. :)

Range officers were cautious (but not intrusive) for the first 10 minutes, watched me closely and than left me alone for next 4.5 hours. 

Love the place so far. 

I've been a member at CR for a couple of years, and I agree.  The place is not perfect, but on balance, it's a beautiful setting and

a pleasant place to shoot.  On a weekday afternoon, there is usually hardly anyone around, and the place is an absolute delight.

Even weekend afternoons are not bad, for the most part. 

See you up there!

BTW, I'm not sure what they are trying to accomplish with the gate.  Seems like a solution to a problem that does not exist.

BTW, I'm not sure what they are trying to accomplish with the gate.  Seems like a solution to a problem that does not exist.

Nothing is keeping non-members from entering and using the range, on the .22 range Saturday afternoon around 4, me and a friend were the only ones occupying it. an RO passed through maybe every hour, and the RO disappeared on the 100 line previous to that for about 2 hours... Not a big deal with the RO's not being around, as everyone keeps an eye out for each other. However, anyone can gain access to the range, whether they plan on using it or not, or even starting trouble. Since the place is so open it's a good idea to keep track of who is allowed entry to the property just like a private club would do.

Nothing is keeping non-members from entering and using the range, on the .22 range Saturday afternoon around 4, me and a friend were the only ones occupying it. an RO passed through maybe every hour, and the RO disappeared on the 100 line previous to that for about 2 hours... Not a big deal with the RO's not being around, as everyone keeps an eye out for each other. However, anyone can gain access to the range, whether they plan on using it or not, or even starting trouble. Since the place is so open it's a good idea to keep track of who is allowed entry to the property just like a private club would do.

This, and, years ago people used to use the range for midnight 4-wheel driving.  I am talking back in the late 70's early 80's.  There is actually a paper road that runs up to the back of the 300 yard range.  Don't know if it is drivable any more but it used to be used for off road dirt bikes and 3-wheelers (before the day of quads).

As for the gate,

From what I remember from last year was that they are setting up the fobs this year and the gate will be operational next year(2014).

Interestingly, a bit more than a year ago I was there on a Thursday with my .50 at the 300. A guy in a nondescript hondoyta drove in and wanted to take pictures of us firing the rifle. I ask who he was and to see his CR bona fides and he told us he wasn't a member and then got "shady" and we waited until he left to resume our firing. That, I assume, is the type of thing that the gate will dissuade. We can make it a-hole resistant, not a-hole proof. Can't be perfect but it may keep the lazy ones out. IMHO.

was up on the Harley today at the silhouette range.some other folks too were there.noticed the njdep guy by the front gate on canistear road taking water samples in the stream by the bridge.....lookinfor lead I suppose.

Yes they check the runoff there all the time. No biggie.

Was up there yesterday, and although there were lots of people shooting on the 100 yard range (the HG range was closed for a state match), there was no waiting, at least when I was there.  The place is just beautiful on a nice late spring/early summer day like yesterday.

Contrary to what some have said, the RO's were courteous and helpful.  Plus, it's nice having a steel target out there.  Wish they would add a few more, as was originally planned.

What's the latest on the gate situation?

I have not received any type of key card or code and haven't gone in months.

The gate has been working for many months now. I've had my fob for a while. If you're still a member you should email them and ask to send you the fob.

I was told that you have to go on the first Sunday of the month in order to sign up there. Is that true? Working weekends makes it near impossible for me. I wish there was some other way as I've always wanted to try this place out.

I was told that you have to go on the first Sunday of the month in order to sign up there. Is that true? Working weekends makes it near impossible for me. I wish there was some other way as I've always wanted to try this place out.

you can sign up when ever you want. But in order to get a valid range membership you must attend the range orientation on the 1st Sunday of any month. Take a day off to join if you want, you never have to do it again.

Yeah, u want to be there 8-ish and it should end around 11. I should remember this, but IIRC the sooner in the sooner out... your name goes down on a list and they call you up to register for range use. For someone using the range during the week, the membership is well worth it... you basically get your own private range.

I don't even think you would need to take an entire day off. IIRC, you're out of there by around 11:00 or so.

As Nike used to say, just do it!

True, and you can shoot same day you attend the membership meeting...so if you do take a whole day off, plan to stay at the range and take advantage of what it offers.

I was just there this past Sunday getting my wife signed up. The meeting doesnt start till 930 but you should be there by 9 it can get crowded. Or get there as early as you want, not sure of the sign in order but you"ll be sitting around waiting, but theres donuts! Worked out well because I had to sight in my wifes sr22 and shoot a few of my toys but went back to the clubhouse at 11 and we were on the road 30 mins later. Nothing better if you can get there weekdays, Sunday was the first time in 4 yrs I shot on a weekend and was shocked at the crowded pistol range (12 guys,lol) but as soon as the meeting is over watchout...

You should yell when you're going up. I can meet ya there. Don't get to see Joe too much because he opens to late now.

:)

During  the week is the Cat's A$$. Pretty empty.  Just check the schedule.

I'm going today and will just fire about 20-30 rounds.

In and out very leisurely.