DTtuner

Beretta NANO - Missed the Market Niche?

Does anyone agree that the Nano seems to have missed the market niche?

For a 9mm pocket gun, it's bulkier than the Keltec PF9, and heavier that either the PF9 or the Ruger LC9.

It holds 6+1 rounds (PF9+LC9 - 7+1 rounds)

Weighs .5 ounces more than LC9, and 4 ounces more than PF9

Most importantly, it's impossible to find and costs more than either other choice.

Is the fact that it's a Beretta the major attraction?

(FYI - I'm in the market for a 9mm pocket-sized gun)

It's bigger and heavier than the LC9 and PF9 because it's built on a frame that will be able to accept .40S&W, even though it's only 9mm right now. Plus, Beretta just came out with it so it's hard to find (Their distribution for new producs isn't the greatest).

I have one reserved at TJ's :)

From the many reviews and videos I've been watching, comparing the Nano, PF9 and LC9...

I did notice the slide on the Nano looks much bulkier than the other two.

Perhaps due to RedBowTies point that the Nano will eventually be manufacturer in 40mm.

I do prefer striker fired, over hammer fired.

But in niche that these pistols are aiming for, Weight and Bulk should be first priority.

No?

Basically it boils down to:

• Striker fired with a nice trigger pull
  • Snagless design
  • Adjustable sights
  • Future ability to switch to .40 S&W without having to buy a new frame/serialized gun
  • Beretta quality (compared to that of Kel Tec & Ruger)

It's basically the single stack Glock 9mm that a lot of people have been wanting.

Honestly, the size doesn't matter to me that much.

They are different guns but comparing it to full size and compact size service pistols is not a fair comparison. I don't like the Kahr trigger on a full size or compact gun but I like them a lot on a pocket size gun. They feel like a double action revolver but smoother. The Ruger LC9 has a simular trigger but not as smooth. I have not handled a Beretta Nano yet. I am pretty sure the Nano is very different from the pistols you mentioned above as well.

Read this review.. http://www.handgunsmag.com/2011/11/03/review-beretta-nano/

The trigger is neither easy nor difficult. Like shooting a snubnose revolver in double-action, you just focus on the front sight while rolling through the trigger pull.

sounds like the exact trigger pull as the Kahr. Which is to me the way to go for a small gun like this.

I think the advantage of the Beretta comes from a number of avenues:

#1. It's striker fired, but you can disassemble without pulling the trigger (this is a big thing for some people)

#2. You can adjust or remove/replace the sights

#3. Modular - you can replace the internals with a module of theoretically anything in the future ... .40? .380? .22?

#4. You get the Beretta name, which I do tend to trust more than some other companies.

I will be the first to admit that I do not like pocket guns, but I'm not too big on self defense. When I go to the range, I want to have fun, not punish my hands for an hour. I can also conceal a PX4 Compact just fine in everyday clothes and I'm nothing special - 5'8", 190 Lbs. If I lived in a free state and wanted to carry, I would probably do it with my PX4, or just buy an LCR and call it a day.

I'm a big Beretta fan - I own 3 of their guns. And I've owned or shot just about everything from the major manufactures at one time or another. But I've never resold a Beretta - there has to be a reason for that.

Beretta is an odd bird, and I just can't put my finger on it. They make some excellent products and nobody knows about them. The CX4 is probably the finest Pistol Caliber Carbine on the planet. The PX4 is an incredible DA/SA pistol. The only thing I can think of is that Beretta is resting on its government contract laurels and pumping out M9s by the crate for the U.S. Army. Maybe the civilian pistol market for them is just cream to the steak and potatoes of the military? Maybe their advertising budget just isn't as big? Maybe they just aren't as hungry as a company like Ruger or Kel Tek?

Or maybe they are trying to get the Nano out by word of mouth? Don't know, but I would give the Nano a shot if I was a pocket pistol guy.

Hammer fired offers two advantages:

Your first shot can be in single-action. Meaning that you penis the hammer manually, which results in a lighter trigger pull. This is great when on the range because it makes your first shot much more accurate. I'll admit that this is probably not that important in a pocket gun because if you are using a pocket gun, odds are you are going to be so scared that a heavy double-action trigger pull won't be on your mind,

The second advantage is that you have a second strike capability. If your first shot does not fire the gun - meaning you had a bad primer - you can pull the trigger a second time. If the second strike fails, you have the rest of your life to rack the slide and get the bullet out of that gun.

A striker fired gun has a different system. Think of it as sort of a spring-loaded firing pin, like an epi-pen that someone might carry for allergies. When you pull the trigger, the spring is released, and the striker hits the primer and the gun fires. The recoil of the gun pushes the slide back and resets the striker. If the striker does not fire the primer, you can pull the trigger all day and that gun will never fire a second time until you rack the slide.

Many striker fired guns (like the Glock) require that you pull the trigger to disassemble the weapon. I personally don't like this one bit, although if you make darn sure the gun is clear before you disassemble it, it won't be a problem.

The advantage of the striker fired gun is that you get a slightly more compact design and you don't have a hammer that can catch on your clothes as you draw.

Hope this helps.

If .38 special is an option for you, forget about semi-autos and take a good look at the Ruger LCR. Not to hijack the thread, but a revolver may be just what you need.

Not all striker fired guns need to have the slide racked for a second shot. Walther P99 has second strike capability. Vice versa for hammer fired guns. only DA/SA or DAO guns have second strike capabillity. Not so with single action only guns. It all depends on each particular design.

Glocks have consistent pull from shot to shot, on a G34 you have a 4.5lb pull every shot, it does not have any disadvanatage in terms of trigger pull vs when you penis the hammer for the first shot on a DA/SA gun.

Specifically, I'm debating which pocket 9mm gun to purchase.

As-of last night... I feel like I'm eating my own words...

I had the chance to hold and feel the Beretta Nano, Ruger LC9, Keltec PF9, Walther PPS, and Kahr PM9 all in one sitting!

The Beretta Nano felt incredible in my hand. Perfect fit, and mold to my palm. Also felt incredibly solid and well-built.

Only negative is that the grip is way too short. Needs a magazine extension badly.

The Kahr felt great in my hand, but the price kinda puts it out of range for my budget.

Walther PPS felt too thin for a proper hold.

Keltec PF9 feels good in the hand, although the pattern is a bit rough. However, the gun rattles so much, I wouldn't feel confident it would last a lifetime.

Ruger LC9 molded well to my hand, but the grip texture feels like it might cut into my hand during fire. I'll have to see if someone will let me shoot their LC9 to get a final vote.

Right now, the LC9 is actually my favorite.

Specifically, I'm debating which pocket 9mm gun to purchase.

As-of last night... I feel like I'm eating my own words...

I had the chance to hold and feel the Beretta Nano, Ruger LC9, Keltec PF9, Walther PPS, and Kahr PM9 all in one sitting!

The Beretta Nano felt incredible in my hand. Perfect fit, and mold to my palm. Also felt incredibly solid and well-built.

Only negative is that the grip is way too short. Needs a magazine extension badly.

The Kahr felt great in my hand, but the price kinda puts it out of range for my budget.

Walther PPS felt too thin for a proper hold.

Keltec PF9 feels good in the hand, although the pattern is a bit rough. However, the gun rattles so much, I wouldn't feel confident it would last a lifetime.

If the pm9 is out of your price range look into the cm9

Have you looked at the Springfield Armory XD9 subcompact? It's in the size range you're looking for. I have one as a CCW. I find that it handles well, with a pretty simple operation similar to a Glock, except that it has a grip safety, which makes me feel a little more at ease when it's pointing down my leg in a holster.

Have you looked at the Springfield Armory XD9 subcompact? It's in the size range you're looking for. I have one as a CCW. I find that it handles well, with a pretty simple operation similar to a Glock, except that it has a grip safety, which makes me feel a little more at ease when it's pointing down my leg in a holster.

I've looked at the XD9, and although it's in the size range, I'm looking for minimum size in a 9mm.

Also, I already own a G19.

Ruger LC9 molded well to my hand, but the grip texture feels like it might cut into my hand during fire. I'll have to see if someone will let me shoot their LC9 to get a final vote.

Right now, the LC9 is actually my favorite.

I checked out the Ruger LC9 at East Brunswick Sportsman's today - I did NOT like it at all. It was impossible to hit the slide release with just your thumb. It was a 2 handed operation and you can end up sweeping yourself or someone else VERY easily. Also - shooting the last round in the mag does not lock the slide back. The loaded chamber indicator and the mag disconnect safety are another 2 minuses with me. Pass.

• Like 1

Does anyone own any of the following:

Kahr CM/PM 9

Keltec PF9

Ruger LC9

Beretta NANO

?

After holding all of those in my hand, the Kahr and Nano are at teh top of my list.

However, I believe that nothing beats actually firing each one to determine the winner.

I'd hate to make a $300-500 mistake.

If anyone is willing to let me try them out, I will provide the factory ammo.

Any leftover ammo after the session is your to keep.

I checked out the Ruger LC9 at East Brunswick Sportsman's today - I did NOT like it at all. It was impossible to hit the slide release with just your thumb. It was a 2 handed operation and you can end up sweeping yourself or someone else VERY easily. Also - shooting the last round in the mag does not lock the slide back. The loaded chamber indicator and the mag disconnect safety are another 2 minuses with me. Pass.

I'm completly lost now.

The Ruger was my favorite for a long time, based on the paper stats, and online reviews.

My plan was to purchase and install modifications to remove all the bs safeties, and improve the trigger.

However, I hated how it felt in my hand.

Plus, why spend $400 on an LC9, plus another $100 on mods just to make it "ok?"

The Kahr and the Nano felt great, with a significant edge going to the Kahr.

The NANO would edge-out the Kahr, if a small pinky extension for the magazine was available.

However, that would make the NANO taller than the Kahr.

Therefore, my sights are set on the Kahr..... i think....