DirtyDigz

Keep your head up if you're around the post office next few days

The U.S. Postal Inspection Service plans to step up patrols at hundreds of mail processing facilities in the coming days in anticipation of potentially adverse reactions by workers as they learn whether their facility is slated to close.

Thousands of postal employees should know by the end of today whether the U.S. Postal Service plans to close the mail processing facility they work for — a move that is expected to slow the mail and lead to a significant downsizing of the delivery network.

Postal officials planned Wednesday night to start informing employees at 252 of the 487 mail processing centers whether their site is slated to close after a moratorium on closures ends in mid-May. It was unclear from USPS and postal union officials whether workers would be told what potential closures or consolidations would mean for their jobs, or whether that information would come later.

http://www.washingtonpost.com%2Fblogs%2Ffederal-eye%2Fpost%2Fpostal-service-set-to-announce-facility-closures%2F2012%2F02%2F22%2FgIQApEluTR_blog.html

Is anyone else annoyed when you order something and you check the tracking and see that it's coming USPS? "we think your package is in our system. We're not quite sure where it might be, and we think we might potentially deliver it in 4 days, or not, it really depends because, frankly, we haven't really got a clue if your package is actually moving through our system so if it shows up, that's great. If it doesn't, well don't worry, thousands just like you have the same problem."

• Like 4

I have a few extended family members who work for the USPS. If what they do on a daily basis in any way reflects on how the average USPS employee spends his or her time it is no wonder they are hemorrhaging. BBQs, downloading and ripping movies, watching those movies, volleyball and basketball tournaments (all of this takes place during business hours on location).

I have a few extended family members who work for the USPS. If what they do on a daily basis in any way reflects on how the average USPS employee spends his or her time it is no wonder they are hemorrhaging. BBQs, downloading and ripping movies, watching those movies, volleyball and basketball tournaments (all of this takes place during business hours on location).

I have my buddy and my mother are both carriers and they spend their days busting their @$$. Are your extended family members managment perhaps?

Is anyone else annoyed when you order something and you check the tracking and see that it's coming USPS? "we think your package is in our system. We're not quite sure where it might be, and we think we might potentially deliver it in 4 days, or not, it really depends because, frankly, we haven't really got a clue if your package is actually moving through our system so if it shows up, that's great. If it doesn't, well don't worry, thousands just like you have the same problem."

Oh sweet Jebus, yes. I'm constantly ordering little things from Amazon and when I see they've used the USPS I have have to say, "Oh well. When I get it I get it."

The tracking numbers don't even work until 2-3 days after the item has shipped. Only our government could screw up a mail business.

Wasn't the OTB state-run and they went out of business? If our local government can't make money as a bookie then all hope is lost.

No, not really. Because it usually gets there in a timely fashion. If they can't leave it it goes straight to the customer counter where I can get it without having to deal with a maze of voice menus and someone in India on the end of a bad VOIP phone system. It'll also be at that counter the next morning when they open, and doesn't depend on when they brought the last truck in and the way the wind was blowing. Overall, I LIKE when stuff comes priority mail flat rate. Things like media mail are another matter. Their tracking system is lacking compared to UPS and Fedex, but in general it hasn't been an issue.

No, not really. Because it usually gets there in a timely fashion. If they can't leave it it goes straight to the customer counter where I can get it without having to deal with a maze of voice menus and someone in India on the end of a bad VOIP phone system. It'll also be at that counter the next morning when they open, and doesn't depend on when they brought the last truck in and the way the wind was blowing. Overall, I LIKE when stuff comes priority mail flat rate. Things like media mail are another matter. Their tracking system is lacking compared to UPS and Fedex, but in general it hasn't been an issue.

My mail carrier doesn't even attempt to deliver packages. My wife is always home and I'll get the notice in the box that we weren't home. If the package is small enough, she'll hang it on the flag, but anything bigger than that and I have to go out of my way and wait in line to get it Saturday, the only day I can get to the PO when it's open. It pisses me off.

My mail carrier doesn't even attempt to deliver packages. My wife is always home and I'll get the notice in the box that we weren't home. If the package is small enough, she'll hang it on the flag, but anything bigger than that and I have to go out of my way and wait in line to get it Saturday, the only day I can get to the PO when it's open. It pisses me off.

I've had this same problem with them delivering certified mail at my office, we're inside all day and they don't even try to get out of the mail truck to get us to sign for it, rather they just leave a note in the mailbox saying we weren't there and that we need to go to the PO to pick it up. Since I'm not normally expecting or even want to get any mail that comes certified I usually never pick it up and it gets returned to sender. I'm sure whoever sent it is glad they spent $5 to send a letter that will never get delivered - yeah, it's a real wonder why they're going bankrupt.

I have my buddy and my mother are both carriers and they spend their days busting their @$$. Are your extended family members managment perhaps?

No they aren't. Neither is my mailman who I've seen sleeping in his truck a few times. Nor is the mailman I see at my second home who also lives in the neighborhood and will go into his house during his route and not come out for hours. But notice, I didn't call out all postal workers or generalize I said "If what they do on a daily basis in any way reflects on how the average USPS employee spends his or her time" - IF -

No they aren't. Neither is my mailman who I've seen sleeping in his truck a few times. Nor is the mailman I see at my second home who also lives in the neighborhood and will go into his house during his route and not come out for hours. But notice, I didn't call out all postal workers or generalize I said "If what they do on a daily basis in any way reflects on how the average USPS employee spends his or her time" - IF -

Never said you called anyone out. I should tell my buddy and mom to get a transfer though as they get their asses kicked at work. Might not be a matter of where they are, might just be because they have strong work ethics and wouldn't be lazy fucks. The mail carrier on my street brings the wrong mail constantly, it worries me to think how much of my mail ends up elsewhere.

I work with a few clients at USPS.

The big issue is the drop in mail volume.

As a result, there have been many many cuts already, and now these are the big ones at the mail processing facilities. It sucks.

Will keep you updated from what I hear from front lines.

Never said you called anyone out. I should tell my buddy and mom to get a transfer though as they get their asses kicked at work. Might not be a matter of where they are, might just be because they have strong work ethics and wouldn't be lazy fucks. The mail carrier on my street brings the wrong mail constantly, it worries me to think how much of my mail ends up elsewhere.

I hear ya, I'm pretty sure my mailman's real name is "newman"

My mail carrier used to do this all the time. Just leave the "your not home" note in the mailbox, when I'm home all day sitting in my home office working. He stopped after I installed cctv cameras around the exterior of my house. Of course they weren't for this purpose specifically, but he did make the comment about them while delivering a package.

People act differently when they know they are being recorded.