PeteF

45 ACP with small primers

Ok, I've finally scrounged enough SPP 45 brass to make it worth doing a reloading run.

The question what is the effect on my loads by going from a Large pistol primer to a SPP.

Any suggestions? Or just start the load over again @ -10% and work my way up.

Those Federal and Blazer casings drive me nuts. I must have picked up brass after

someone unloaded a case of them because I'm getting one in about every 5 or so

with small pistol primer pockets.

What I do is load some small pistol primers and seat them and then load everything else

the same way. I collect all the ones with small primers and do them in a batch.

I made around 20 rounds or so a while back and from what I can tell they functioned and

fired just like the large primered casings. I don't think there is a need to change your

charge or anything else.

I have the same issue and have culled about 500 of these damn things over time. From what i've read around the net, it wont make a difference in the load (it especially wont increase your pressure). Even still, i'll just use mine for practice or a match where velocity/power factor doesn't matter and i can just leave the brass for someone like zoid to gather up. ;)

I have been saving the Speer small primer brass I find. I would think your -10% load reduction is conservative. A smaller flash from the primer probably translates to needing more powder to achieve the same ballistics. Especially since 45ACP is a low pressure round to begin with, and 45ACP guns are beefy as hell, why don't you try your large primer load and go from there. You can do damage from running with too little powder too.

I have been saving the Speer small primer brass I find. I would think your -10% load reduction is conservative. A smaller flash from the primer probably translates to needing more powder to achieve the same ballistics. Especially since 45ACP is a low pressure round to begin with, and 45ACP guns are beefy as hell, why don't you try your large primer load and go from there. You can do damage from running with too little powder too.

I wound up getting a couple hundred rounds of blazer brass as a break in for a new 1911, and found they had the small primers.

The flash hole size is my biggest concern. Was concerned the rounds might actually be too low pressure when using the smaller primer and smaller flash hole.

Either make all of them large or small. It's really frustrating me. I can count how many

I get per 100 since when the primer doesn't seat I know it's a small primer. I remove

the primer from the press and then put them back into the primer feeder when I'm out.

I just counted around 22 out of 100 TODAY! That is a ridiculous ratio.

Yeah federal champion is SPP.

I think they are making them both ways. Or maybe in process of switching production to full SPP. I was looking for some 45s on one of the ammo sites. They had 2 different types of AE 45s listed for different prices for the same quantity.

Looking deeper they specifically said that the cheaper (~4-5 bucks per 500) were SPP.

I think they are making them both ways. Or maybe in process of switching production to full SPP. I was looking for some 45s on one of the ammo sites. They had 2 different types of AE 45s listed for different prices for the same quantity.

Looking deeper they specifically said that the cheaper (~4-5 bucks per 500) were SPP.

Federal champion should all be SPP now.

Federal AE should still be LPP.

WIN NT is okay. Federal NT is large but crimped so it's trash. I just figured out the latest one, the headstamp is (dot)Federal(dot). It's small primers. I just inspected a gallon jug and had to go through it again after trying to reload one. Now Blazer is starting with the SPP but the headstamp is the same. (sigh)

Just realized I never updated this thread. Must have posted in another one. I shot my SPP loads(same data as LPP) and they shot just fine with no noticeable change in perceived recoil. Need to get them over a chrono to be sure the velocity didn't change.

Just realized I never updated this thread. Must have posted in another one. I shot my SPP loads(same data as LPP) and they shot just fine with no noticeable change in perceived recoil. Need to get them over a chrono to be sure the velocity didn't change.

Thanks for the info. It's gonna be interesting to see if the chrono shows any difference