Underdog

FN or Beretta

If anybody has experience with both the Beretta PX4 line and the FN-FNP/FNX line, please provide your impressions of both and compare and contrast the two.

FNS are striker fired. I have not fired one. I feel like the ergonomics and trigger are a bit better on the Beretta PX4 than the FNX/FNP, but the FN guns I have fired have been new and the Beretta well broken-in..For sheer durability, the FNX/FNP feels like a more substantial and durable gun, but that is just my impression from handling them both. I do not like the Beretta's slide mounted thumb safety/decocker. To those who shoot 1911s, the settings are the opposite of what you expect (i.e. up is safe, down is live). I like the control positions on the FNH guns much better. Being a lefty, I also like that they are completely ambidextrous. The FNX models take their cue from the FNP-45 USG, which was the gun submitted to the military to replace the M9.

If I had to choose, I would take the FNH guns over the Berettas. Actually, I did choose. I just bought a FNP-45 USG. :)

I have PX4 Compact in 9mm. It shoots smooth and accurate. I like everything about it, except the slide mounted safety. It's ambidextrous, and I am a rightie, so I keep meaning to shave off the right-hand-side lever.

I am in Bergen County, and I go to shoot to Paterson. PM me if you are interested in meeting over the weekend.

FN.

I have owned several metal framed Berettas. They were all high quality firearms that i either got bored of or didn't quite suit my needs. The one thing I HATED about them was their slide mounted safety/decocker. One needed spider monkey fingers to manipulate it without shifting one's grip. I have shot the PX4 and like ot, but they have the same issue. Also, the controls like the slide release felt flimsy to me.

My impression of the FNP is that there is nothing flimsy about it, and they have a 1911 style safety which is crisp and easily accessible. And shifting it all the way down decocks the gun.

WOW! thats a tough one... i do have the beretta px4 storm in .40 cal. and recently picked up an fnh fnp .45 cal. to me its a toss up, both are excellent in ergos, finish, and go boom everytime! i hate to say it, i cant decide thats why have them both... but i gotta agree about the safety on the beretta, a little sharp and are backwards, but you have 2 ways of changing that, there is a mod that will take away the safety and make it into a decocker only, and there are after market safety switches that are flatter less sharp, hope that helps... the fnp 45 needs nothing really, and it 15 round of .45 cal. excellent...

I had a PX4 Storm and traded it away... it was nice, but after having it for a while, there was just something about it that I wasn't into... I like Berettas in general, just not the PX4, I realized...

Can't speak about thr FN's because I never had one. I do have experience with the Beretta's. I have a full size PX4 .40. It has a nice smooth DA pull and a short crisp SA pull. Ergos are excellent. Never a failure of any kind. And even in .40 it feels like shooting a 9mm.

I am not a big fan of manual safeties on a pistol in general and I agree the PX4/92 safety is inconvienent. That's why I converted my PX4 Type F to a Type G with low profile/stealth decocker levers. Now there is no manual safety, decocker only. You can also buy a Type G from Beretta, but you would still have to convert to low pro/stealth levers if you don't like the "batwings" as they are called.

I have an FNP9 and it shoots great. When I bought it I compared it to the Px4 full size and I chose the FNH. I never shot the Beretta until recently and it just reinforced that I made the right decision. It's difficult to explain the difference but the FN just felt better in my hand and in my opinion I shot it better with it. I have heard nothing but great things about the FNS!!

I've never shot a PX4 before, I've heard good things about it but I don't like the looks and design of it so I am not killing myself to try one out.

On the other hand, I've read so much and watched numerous youtube videos of the FNX/FNP's and that was one pistol I was really looking forward to renting. Once I actually did, the anxiety built up over what I thought wasn't much. The FNX I shot had a cheap feel and I wasn't a huge fan of the trigger. The stippled grips were almost too aggressive to shoot in .45, maybe 9mm would have been more comfortable. It was accurate but overall I did not like the shooting experience. The one thing I did like about it was that the recoil for a .45 in a polymer frame wasn't all that bad, and the unique decocker/safety in one lever was kinda cool if you like that sorta thing.

Had a chance to shoot the FNX-9 today in PA and came home knowing what my next permit would be for, but searching only turns up 16/ 17 round models. :o

To the best of my knowledge, they never made 10-round magazines for the FNX-9. There are 10s available for the FNP-9, and it is very similar, especially if you get the USG model that can be "cocked and locked", but the safety/decocker lever is designed better on the FNX and it has a much more aggressive grip texture. There have been problems with the FNX, though, which I don't think are there with the FNPs. I do like the grip on the FNX, though, and I would get one if the magazine could be shared with the FNS-9, as it would only be a matter of time before 10-rounders were available for the FNS-9 if it does well. However, none of them share magazines. Curiously, though, the FNX-40 and FNS-40 have the same magazine, which is different than the FNP-40. I would definitely get an FNX-9 and pin magazines to 15-rounds if I had the option of also getting 10-round magazines stock for it at a later point in the future, and/or if it shared with the FNS which I know I am going to buy. But, it doesn't, so I don't have one. If you could pick up a used FNX or FNP at a good price, though, I would jump on it.

If you can find it, the FNP-9M is a really nice one to get, especially for NJ. After shooting and handling it, I have wanted it, but cannot seem to find one of my own. I guess people aren't getting rid of them and/or very few were made. And, they are not made anymore, but they have a 15-round magazine and they are really just a tad smaller than the full-size FNP-9... awesome gun!

I hope that the full size FNS-9 sells really well and that 10-rounders available for it. Also, there would be more sight options and holsters.

I am waiting for the FNS-9 Compact to be released, and I would jump on an FNP-9M if I found it. The money is already put aside for each one.

To the best of my knowledge, they never made 10-round magazines for the FNX-9. ...

Yes, FNH makes 10 round mags for the FNX 9 and 40. You can even order an FNX 9 w/ 10 round mags from Buds:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/78890/FN+66836+FNX9+9MM+10RD+BLKBLK

I emailed FNH-USA a while back and they confirmed the existence of 10 round 9mm mags. I'm sure if you contact them, they can provide you with the part #.

• Like 1

I was playing with my fnh fnp 45, and I noticed something, the slide lock is a little on the small side and hard to press, considering how most of the controls and the gun itself is rather large, it just seems out of place. the texture on the grip is abit more aggressive compared to my beretta, if you have dainty hands you better feel one first, you might not like it.

I believe it is a slide lock (like Glocks have) rather than a slide release. The slide is meant to be slingshotted (like a Glock). Don't know if FN or aftermarket make an extended slide release (like the Glock).

As much as I like a good slide release for convenience, I think it is still a better practice to use slingshotting. There is much less chance of a failure to feed this way because the round being chambered is receiving the full force of a completely compressed recoil spring rather than 2/3 compressed.

• Like 1