Itisafoot

Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm

I want to get a 9mm pistol. I have a smith and Wesson .38 special Revolver and really enjoy shooting it. I was leaning towards another S&W ( fixed that for you :) )so I was hoping to get some help on a good fun reliable 9mm.

I just tried my new MP .40 yesterday for the first time ( bought it Friday) . I loved it. Hardly no recoil , it was easy for me to sight up. Light gun , but no too light. Comes with 3 different backstraps which is nice if you don't have average sized hands. I'm sure the 9mm would be just as nice , with even less recoil.

Just an fyi: get the .40. Because with the .40, you can get 9mm mags and a barrel and have 2 guns in one. Actually get a .357sig barrel as well and have 3 guns in one.

Will factory 9mm barrels fit the M&P .40? And if so why can't you use the .40 barrel in the 9mm?

It seems it would be far more efficient to make one frame on one assembly line and just add the appropriate barrel and extractor as opposed to making 3 different frames, at least one of which will accept the other barrels anyway.

As maks pointed out, there may very well be extractor and ejector issues because of the different case head size / breech face. Unless the manufacturer says it is a viable conversion - steer clear.

Most manufacturers that do not use fitted barrels will approve of, even promote, the .40 S&W / .357 Sig interchange, since all that takes is a drop in barrel. Some aftermarket manufacturers make the .40 or .357 to 9 mm conversion barrels (most notably Bar-Sto for Sigs), but I really haven't heard anything about the viability of such a swap with the S&W. But then, I just recently found out thst S&W makes something other than revolvers :D .

Caveat Emptor.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I just picked one up today, as a companion to my M&P 22, for an incredible price via my FFL. Already have an Apex Tactical DCAEK and RAM on order. I was intrigued with the new Forward Set Sear kit they are selling for the M&P... which is supposed to make the trigger very close to that of a 1911... but I decided on the DCAEK instead. If I want a 1911 trigger, I'll shoot my 1911! The Apex DCAEK is the right choice for the M&P.

You may as well get the best

The S&W M&P VTAC 9mm Flat Dark Earth

Just wish the finish was more durable. I took care of mine, did not carry it in a holster (no holster wear), but the finish was ruined after 200 rounds, especially around the edges. Sights are awesome on it.

You may as well get the best

The S&W M&P VTAC 9mm Flat Dark Earth

Huh? How is it the best? The VTAC is the same thing as the regular M&P with the regular trigger, but in FDE color and it's got a different sight... that's about it. I don't think that the color and different sights really justify the extra cost of the VTAC. You're better off buying the regular M&P and then upgrading it with an APEX trigger enhancement kit of your choice.

^ this . I really like the sights on my Pro Series. Plus no magazine disconnect , no safety besides the trigger safety ( that is a personal choice) , and no internal lock.

OP , depending on where you are if you want to try mine ( it is a .40 but you'll get the idea)I am at the Bullet Hole in Belleville most Sundays.I can bring the other backstraps too.

As a few above said, I love the gun but wish I had gotten the Pro as I also don't like the sights. They only had the regular model and I didn't want to wait for the Pro, but now I am going to upgrade the sights anyway.