Ray Ray

Bullet Set-back?

I was curious wondering if chambering and rechambering a round in a semi-auto pistol or rifle would cause a bullet to be pushed back into the case?

Only if the neck tension or crimp isn't correct.

How many times are you doing this "Speedy"

I know I was busting your chops, but what old school said is correct that if the crimp or neck tension isn't correct then yes you could experience set back even with factory ammo. If you have a set of calipers measure it before you start and again when you're done.

I wasn't talking about reloading ladies.

Nobody is talking about reloading Shirley. I was talking about factory ammo.

And I couldn't watch that whole video because it was such BS.

When I load my defense gun in the house I ease the slide down anyway.

Nobody is talking about reloading Shirley. I was talking about factory ammo.

And I couldn't watch that whole video because it was such BS.

When I load my defense gun in the house I ease the slide down anyway.

thanks grandpa

Yes, reloading is dangerous remember. :)

HA!

I thought it was funny Frank...

Anyway, i just chambered a Federal 9mm 10 times in my STI 9mm and it went from 1.15 down to 1.143.

7mils or the thickness of 2 human hairs.

HA!

I thought it was funny Frank...

Anyway, i just chambered a Federal 9mm 10 times in my STI 9mm and it went from 1.15 down to 1.43.

7mils or the thickness of 2 human hairs.

Recheck your numbers or explain. I'm confused.

Only if the neck tension or crimp isn't correct.

How many times are you doing this "Speedy"

That's not so. Even with factory ammo that is sealed with an adhesive, you can get bullet setback form administrative reloads. Yes, properly constructed ammo won't set back under recoil, but if you are a cop who is unloading for whatever reason (usually mandated administrative unload/reload for certain locations), then rechambering the same round when you reload over and over and over, you can have severe bullet setback that is dangerous. If you mimic the same pattern of behavior with your HD weapon by clearing it an putting it in the safe each morning, and loading it and making it handy each evening, you have to watch out for the same thing.

I've seen bullets set back in factory ammo often. I used to caution agents regarding this as some unloaded every night when they went home, reload in the morning, and repeat the process when they entered and left the office. Some people didn't want to wear a gun in the office so they would unload it and put it in a lockbox while there.

A loaded round can't be expected to cope with dozens of loadings no matter how correct the neck tension or crimp may be.

That's not so. Even with factory ammo that is sealed with an adhesive, you can get bullet setback form administrative reloads. Yes, properly constructed ammo won't set back under recoil, but if you are a cop who is unloading for whatever reason (usually mandated administrative unload/reload for certain locations), then rechambering the same round when you reload over and over and over, you can have severe bullet setback that is dangerous. If you mimic the same pattern of behavior with your HD weapon by clearing it an putting it in the safe each morning, and loading it and making it handy each evening, you have to watch out for the same thing.

Any mechanical device such as a bullet can be abused. I stand by my statement. Proper ammo will not set back under normal circumstances. If you are going to repetedly drop the slide on the same round inertia will have some effect.

There are ways to aviod the bullet set back.

Any mechanical device such as a bullet can be abused. I stand by my statement. Proper ammo will not set back under normal circumstances. If you are going to repetedly drop the slide on the same round inertia will have some effect.

Frank - I have to agree with the others that set back happens with properly crimped ammo. I've noticed varying amounts of set back with different bullet types. For example, I noticed set back more prominent in .45ACP wad cutters. I believe bullet shape and angle during chambering a round will affect set back and will also vary between guns.

Frank - I have to agree with the others that set back happens with properly crimped ammo. I've noticed varying amounts of set back with different bullet types. For example, I noticed set back more prominent in .45ACP wad cutters. I believe bullet shape and angle during chambering a round will affect set back and will also vary between guns.

Well first you know I had trouble in the past with set back on 200gr SWC but I resolved that.

My point is on properly taper crimped semi auto ammo set back shouldn't be a problem unless you are continually dropping the slide on the same round.

Now , I believe it was Razo, posted a LEO senario. Well that I consider out of the ordinary and some form of mitigation must be used.

I load and unload my bedside pistol about a dozen times a year. I don't like to drop the slide from locked open on a live round in the bedroom.

So I ease it down. No set back.

I understand what you're saying about SWC.

In Ray's original post I envisioned him continually dropping the slide from lock open on the same round.

But with service ammo (factory) A few slide drops shouldn't cause set back. If one slide drop causes set back the ammo is no good.

Setback was enough of a concern that Sig felt it necessary to issue a factory technical bulletin warning about this issue. Jim Flynn used to have it posted in his "lobby". Very real condition and one for major concern.

JM (and Sig's) HO

Adios,

PIzza Bob

It also depends on the gun and the caliber. For example .40 in a 1911 format gun tends to get jammed pretty well into the to of the chamber while making the adjustment in angle from magazine to bore. There are other deisgns where the angles amtch better and the magazine lips sit higher relative to the bore that are less abusive.

If you reload, just pack enough powder in the case so the bullet can't go in any further. That will solve the problem of set back.

Warning: Don't just pack enough powder in the case so the bullet can't go in any further as this is dangerous and meant to be a joke. Though it would solve the bullet set back problem, if you pulled the trigger on a round setup like that, it would probably be the last thing you do before shuffling off your mortal coil. Now back to our actual post.

Set back is a real problem (more pronounced for some calibers than others) and yes, there are ways to mitigate it. Riding the slide forward nice and easy is not the best answer though. The gun is designed to slam the slide forward repeatedly. Slowing it down with your hand has the potential to introduce problems, especially in a gun like the 1911, though likely not as must of a problem in a Glock. Set back happens every time you chamber a round under force, including when you are shooting. Most of the time it is an imperceptible amount and is not dangerous. Re-chambering the same same round over and over and over and over and (well, you get the point) will cause noticeable set back. The best way to mitigate set back is to rotate out the top round of your magazine if you load/unload your gun repeatedly. Once you've unloaded the same round, say twice, then you rotate it to the bottom of the magazine. Once it makes its way back to the top, then your only option, of course, is to shoot the entire magazine before loading up fresh ammo.