JrzyGuy30

Driver took wrong turn into Mexico with 268k rounds of ammo..

Me thinks that those police in Mexico now have a whole lot more ammo than they did yesterday, No way are they going to turn that back to the US. Well maybe the AK ammo, the AR 15 ammo is staying put. Notice the one picture, the cops seem to be carring M16. Look ma we got a presant from the good old US of A, 223 ammo, send that 7.62x39 stuff back.

Me thinks that those police in Mexico now have a whole lot more ammo than they did yesterday, No way are they going to turn that back to the US. Well maybe the AK ammo, the AR 15 ammo is staying put. Notice the one picture, the cops seem to be carring M16. Look ma we got a presant from the good old US of A, 223 ammo, send that 7.62x39 stuff back.

This

They're gonna say, si desea que el conductor del camión de vuelta, la munición se queda aquí!

Wrong turn? Can you enter Mexico without going through a checkpoint?

I think something is up, there are so many signs before you go into Mexico that's it's kinda hard to miss them.

This

They're gonna say, si desea que el conductor del camión de vuelta, la munición se queda aquí!

if you want the driver of the truck back, the ammunition is here!

Is that the correct translation? I am called a Gringo for a reason, I don't know Spanish, No Comprende Senor corte de pelo de cobarde

:)

OK, I'll be the first to call Bullisht (well, the first on this board, anyway).

A Phoenix, AZ gun dealer makes a large purchase of .223 and 7.62x39 ammunition to the tune of $100k, pays for it ALL in advance and the driver gets "lost" and "mistakenly" takes a detour into Juarez?

Yes, we have the driver's version of the story, that he "turned around," but what's the real story? Did "turn around" include him pulling into a Juarez commercial zone, where it took him 10 minutes to turn around? Did his truck come back a couple thousand pounds lighter?

I'll consider this guy's version of events as "helpful, if true." But, this story just doesn't smell right. I just have trouble believing that any seasoned truck driver would enter a foreign country with tons of ammunition that could potentially be illegal, and think that everything would be OK.

There were and still might be crossing points you could accidentally cross into Mexico. I knew of one place where if you left the US Post Office and made a left you were okay. Make a right and go about 100 feet and you were in Mexico. There are plenty of signs warning you in places like El Paso. Once you cross the border, whether its into Mexico, Canada, or the US, there is no saying you made a mistake. You are in that country and are subject to a Customs search. If there is anything considered to be contraband it will be seized and not returned and you will be charged. Stuff like this happens all the time in both directions. Not usually the quantities in this case. I know the US and Canadahave mechanisms to deal with minor infractions civilly and you can get off paying a fine.

I don't think this was any kind of setup as its common knowledge Mexican Customs will look at any commercial shipment. Even if its something legal to import there the aduanas are looking for "mordida" to expedite entry.

I think this guy was boosting the load and got caught!

Possibly. You would have to pay off a Mexican official to get it into Mexico. The official took the bribe and ensured the ammo was seized making himself a hero at both ends. I'll take back what I said earlier. The smuggler may have been set up.

OK, I'll be the first to call Bullisht (well, the first on this board, anyway).

While it can happen, you may be right. I know the main crossing off if I-10 is 110, but there is a US border inspection station there before you cross and there is a turnaround available on the southbound side well before you cross into Mexico.

Also have to wonder why he would have taken such a southerly route, I could see a month or 2 back going that far south, but not at this time of the year. I40 would have been a heck of a lot quicker and I don't thing there are any restriction on the Turner TNPK through OK for what he was transporting and that saves you a few hours through the state.

I will say, aftert thinking about it, yea, a little strange..

Wrong turn? Can you enter Mexico without going through a checkpoint?

I don't know about vehicular traffic, but I walked into Mexico at the San Ysidro, CA crossing (about a year before they started loping off heads there) and there was no one on the Mexican side checking anything.

Also there were several enormous signs on I-5 as we drove south, informing drivers that guns are illegal in Mexico.