SgtToadette

How do you guys deal with friends, family, and co-workers?

So I'm quite new to the world of firearms. In fact, I made my first purchase this past Tuesday (Walther PPQ for those curious). Inevitably my friends, family, co-workers, etc. begin to find out as I begin to take time off for range time or firearm related events.

In what was probably a big mistake, in my excitement I posted a few pictures of my new prized possession on Facebook and it seems to have triggered (no pun intended) everyone's stupid button. I now have people making quick mentions about my owning a gun. Most of it isn't malicious, but I can only hear the "Remember I was nice to you!" crap a few dozen times before it gets under my skin. I've explained I plan on doing range-work and testing the water of competitions, but even eavesdroppers radiate a judgmental aura.

I feel to a certain extent, hiding something I enjoy because I'm afraid of what people will think seems like I have something to be ashamed of. I also think that in a state where guns are a foreign concepts to most people I can be an instrument of education on the subject, or at least a catalyst for people to explore their curiosity.

So how do you guys/gals go about this hobby when dealing with friends, family, and co-workers? Should I be less open about it?

My mom believes in the right, but hates guns, as her cousin shot himself. I just buy them anyway, and deal with her complaining when the time comes. Personally, I am very open about it because, in my opinion, it is this sort of stigma about their hobby that gun owners have that breeds this air of ignorance amongst non-owners. As such, we should do our part to educate them, since that stuff is annoying to me as well, and it only works against us when some politician is pushing for more feel-good legislation that does nothing but restrict the rights of law abiding citizens.

That is the NJ/NY mentality about firearms. You go outside these States into the real America and reaction to guns is completely different.

Take the scared and frightened ones with you to the range for a try. They will change their minds.

Since I'm new, I don't feel experienced enough to take others to the range. After a few visits I certainly will, though. A few have expressed an interest and I plan to take them up on it when I feel I'm in a position to foster a safe and educational experience.

Why do you think they call it gun p0rn?

Violent movies, violent video games, & the never ending shootings in Newark at least once a week all have contributed to associating firearms with violence.

People who live in cities don't understand having firearms is just a way of life out in the midwest & other regions of good old USA.

For hunting, target shooting, competition, etc...

Many also think motorcycles are dangerous but should we ban them?

Lastly, some people are just not interested in hobbies, whether it's shooting, horse riding, ATVs, swimming, etc...

They rather sit all day long & get brainwashed by the tube.

Those that say "remember I was nice to you" are kidding.

At least they aren't running away from you. Just keep a sense of humor and don't do/boast about/post on Facebook stupid things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1st thing I say is whens the last time you passed a background check !! I do all the time so that means I havent as much as pushed anyone, never got busted for drugs or a DWI. So why do you think Im a bad person. Dont confuse me with the gangbangers you here about on TV .

Those that say "remember I was nice to you" are kidding.

At least they aren't running away from you. Just keep a sense of humor and don't do/boast about/post on Facebook stupid things.

I make it a point to myself to be mild-mannered about most things, especially guns because I know it leaves impressions.

So I'm quite new to the world of firearms. In fact, I made my first purchase this past Tuesday (Walther PPQ for those curious). Inevitably my friends, family, co-workers, etc. begin to find out as I begin to take time off for range time or firearm related events.

In what was probably a big mistake, in my excitement I posted a few pictures of my new prized possession on Facebook and it seems to have triggered (no pun intended) everyone's stupid button. I now have people making quick mentions about my owning a gun. Most of it isn't malicious, but I can only hear the "Remember I was nice to you!" crap a few dozen times before it gets under my skin. I've explained I plan on doing range-work and testing the water of competitions, but even eavesdroppers radiate a judgmental aura.

I feel to a certain extent, hiding something I enjoy because I'm afraid of what people will think seems like I have something to be ashamed of. I also think that in a state where guns are a foreign concepts to most people I can be an instrument of education on the subject, or at least a catalyst for people to explore their curiosity.

So how do you guys/gals go about this hobby when dealing with friends, family, and co-workers? Should I be less open about it?

for me it starts with discretion and facebook isnt it. Also depends on who, where and why the topic came up. I wont deny to loving guns but either will i just broach the subject out of no where. And i will argue 2A if i think the conversation is getting anti but wont be disclosing my little arsenal to anyone out of my comfort zone for sure or to open social forums.....As a side note welcome to the wonderful (and expensive) world of firearms and be safe out there.

Be yourself...... Dont hide the hobby, If its something you enjoy and you want to talk about it, then go ahead and do so.

Be respectful of other people's opinions, you can try to get an anti person to understand, but dont expect to change their mind.

My wife HATES guns..... I respect her feelings, so I have to make adjustments of how I handle the firearms around the house. Her brother I think, thinks I am just nuts..... just dont discuss it with him anymore.

Most others have a certain curiosity to it, and I have taught quite a few to shoot, and others are waiting for their chance to go to the range with me to learn....

I have posted stuff on Facebook, firearms are a part of my life, and I will not hide it, just because a few dont "get it"

I post stuff on FB and talk about it at work with everyone. There is at least 4 guys from my office on this forum and we talk guns a lot at work.

I don't care what people think. I live my life for me and that's it.

I'm pretty open about my love for guns. I won't go too deep into my love for them unless the other person carries the conversation. The most I'll say about them is that I went shooting this weekend or that I'd like to take the hobby and maybe go hunting with one day, and that is only if I know the person won't object to it. For the most part I'll only say I went shooting at a range this past weekend. If the opportunity allows itself to dive deeper into the conversation I will.

Certainly don't be less open about it. Be more! Eventually when they see you haven't changed into some psycho and are the same person, who just likes shooting guns, they may change their anti-firearm views slightly.

After I started getting into shooting, I got my dad interested in it, and he now has an AR and a .22 pistol. This surprises me only for the fact my mother HATES guns. But now that she has some exposure to them, she is slowly starting to move away from hating them, and only to a simply dislike for them.

I do my best to enlighten people on firearms. I've taken a bunch of friends who didn't care much for guns to the range, and there isn't a single one of them who didn't have a good time. And because I am so open about shooting, other friends and coworkers who also like to shoot occasionally, but don't much because of being in NJ, have been asking me more about it so they can. Heck, there are a few people I had no idea even had guns that do. You'd be surprised I think!

I would say take this as an opportunity to educate them that guns are not the problem and can be a lot of fun and maybe get a few of them out to the range with you.

Many of us here had swayed peoples opinions about guns and made gun owners out of them.

As far as the comments, don't worry about it, take them as the joke as that probably meant to be anyway.

I have some hints about it on my facebook page. Some pro-gun shares and stuff like that. People that are into guns will understand and people that don't will have it go over their heads.

My wife is anti-gun. Last week she was telling some friends of ours that I shoot. Much to her surprise, they have guns, too and even go hunting.

I will comment on pictures and articles others post on Facebook, and "like" pro 2A groups however I do not post pictures of my collection. I have pro gun friends and anti gun friends. Theres no need to go posting on Facebook about how many guns you have or when your going to the range, etc.

BlueLineFish has an excellent point about Facebook being able to hurt you. LEO or not, there has been mention about people going through divorces/child custardy cases using Facebook posts as evidence in court. In this liberal state, posting pictures or stories about your guns could probably end up being used in court as evidence to try and prove your not a worthy parent or some kind of potential threat if you ever ended up in a civil or legal cases.

Facebook is now able to be admissible in court and used against you since it is volunteered public info. I only made the point about LEO because that is why I worry about it. I have seen it used against people in many ways and in regard to many different situations

All my friends are gun friendly, when i meet people from up north i run into some negativity.. even neighbors that have moved hear but they get use to it..

our town is a big hunting and fishing area and allot of northern people that move hear get a big surprise come fall..they seem to move in in the spring and summer months..

Most of my friends are either in LEO, Loss Prevention, or EMTs, so no big deal. Having said that, I don't really "wave the flag" that I have weapons. The wife doesn't dislike it or like it. She understands it's a tool and prefers not to partake in the hobby. The kids uderstand it, but have not expressed interest. Also, having said that, I don't plan on having a "Youtube Gun Channel", nor would I start posting stuff on Facebook. I watch the YT Gun Channels, but that's about it. Facebook sucks, and the only reason why I have one is to check in on my teenage kids every now and then.

However...I do express opinion and don't mind showing items here on NJ Gun Forums. This forum is gun culture friendly, and I feel confortable sharing with a few people every now and then.

Overall, I think it's about culture. NJ/NY were gun friendly at some point, but over the years, the liberal mindset has pretty much demonized the culture. We're immediately labeled as "Rambos" and "gun nuts" from those who do not understand. And quite frankly, I could give a rat's a** about those types.

Anyway, I'm digressing and starting to rant. :)

Just my 2 cents.

Be yourself...... Dont hide the hobby, If its something you enjoy and you want to talk about it, then go ahead and do so.

Be respectful of other people's opinions, you can try to get an anti person to understand, but dont expect to change their mind.

My wife HATES guns..... I respect her feelings, so I have to make adjustments of how I handle the firearms around the house. Her brother I think, thinks I am just nuts..... just dont discuss it with him anymore.

Most others have a certain curiosity to it, and I have taught quite a few to shoot, and others are waiting for their chance to go to the range with me to learn....

I have posted stuff on Facebook, firearms are a part of my life, and I will not hide it, just because a few dont "get it"

^^^This.

My wife is NOT a gun person, but because they are in the house, she has decided to at least become familiar with them. She has been to the range a few times with me now and has warmed up considerably, to the point of requesting I find something that fits her better. I always have a gun magazine on my toolbox at work, have pics on my Facebook page, or talk about it with others. I dont care who knows about it, but I refuse to get into arguments about it, or answer the "why" question. I don't queston others about their hobbies or beliefs and I expect the same.

I say put it out there, if people can't accept it, that's on them.

My fiancee is constantly up my a$$ about going to the range! She wants to go every time I go. She's got her FID and is saving up to buy her own pistol. Her mother and sister are also on me to come to the range as a guest so they can shoot. I do believe her younger sister is a bit jealous every time I pick up some new hardware. She's been trying to save for over a year to buy herself a Glock but keeps having car problems and ends up tapping into her savings. My future mother and sister in law both took a first steps pistol class last year and break my stones about how they took the class but I'm the one with the guns (I did not take the class).

Since I'm new, I don't feel experienced enough to take others to the range. After a few visits I certainly will, though. A few have expressed an interest and I plan to take them up on it when I feel I'm in a position to foster a safe and educational experience.

My second trip to the range I brought my friend Alyssa. In fact, I've never gone to a range alone.

That is true. If I had any friends that did not like guns then they would not be a friend of mine!

Part of the reason I'm still single, despite (as I've said before) my damn good looks. I refuse to date a girl who hates guns. For some reason I seem to attract anti-gunners, Liberals, Fat chicks, and Jewish girls for some reason. Not sure what those groups see in me....

I carry. They get over it. I've had family members complain vehemently at first but never had one refuse me invitation to their properties or functions when the rubber meets the road. My mother is very anti-gun and once said she wouldn't leave the house with me with "that thing." I now OC everywhere we go and she learned to ignore it.

Another thing. I conceal during most travel out of state. Carrying out of state with antis in tow, there has been more than one occasion where the situation looked a little sketchy and the anti asked me if I was "packing." I guess what they say about the Sheep Dog is true. The sheep suddenly love you when the Wolf comes.

That is true. If I had any friends that did not like guns then they would not be a friend of mine!

Well, I have friends that don't like ketchup, and that's a far worse violation in my book ;)

As long as we can tollerate the things we don't like about each other we are good in my book.