JrzyGuy30

Night time Helicopters & Late Night Explosions rattling house at 1am?? What's going on?

Yes, you have to condition people to the point where when things like this happen, they are used to expecting it. It becomes the norm. Sort of like airport security. You only realize it isn't the norm when you travel outside the US.

I don't know where you travel, but I travel all over the world, and generally find airport security more intrusive and annoying in most other countries. Security in EWR, for example, takes about 60 seconds for a seasoned traveler, but there is no way you're getting through LHR without talking to someone, and more than half the time they actually pat down every single person getting on a plane.

Not saying things aren't terrible, the gov't isn't out to get us, etc. Just saying that US airport security is not a good example.

They've been taking off from Allaiere Airport in Wall right off of rt.34. I was at the driving range right near it tha last couple of nights and the "Blackhawks and two smaller birds took of within 5 minutes of each other. They took off low and stayed low the whole time I saw them. I couldof hit them with a well timed 7 iron.

It's funny this came up. I live all the way in Ewing, 45-60 minutes from Dix. In the past week, on at least two separate occasions, I have heard helicopters flying overhead late at night (anywhere from 12:30-1:30). The first time, I thought it was possibly just a medic helicopter. The second or so time, I started wondering WTF was up.

I used to be part of a Flight Medevac unit out of the West Trenton Airport. They've been flying Blackhawks for years. It's likely they are the helos flying around Ewing. You can normally see them parked if you are driving down Scotch Road, and look over at the NG hangar at the airport as you drive by.

We had Blackhawks (or similar shape) flying Monday thru Wednesday nights starting around 10PM and ending around 2AM. All blacked out except white tail light and fixed red beacon and flying 50-100 feet above ground level. Accompanied by very loud artillery and mortar explosions from the Camp Charles Wood area or northern reaches of Naval Weapons Station Earle.

The choppers seemed to be ferrying back and forth every 10 minutes or so between the Camp Charles / Earle, over the golf course and then to the Fort Monmouth sites. Presumably they continued from there to Long Branch.

It was great hearing some training exercises nearby again. It's been almost a year since I've been woken up by and gone to sleep to the bugle calls from Fort Monmouth. I really hope they sidestep BRAC and re-open the Fort under a new name. This area quickly became Asbury Park North and it's an absolutely disgrace.

I don't know where you travel, but I travel all over the world, and generally find airport security more intrusive and annoying in most other countries. Security in EWR, for example, takes about 60 seconds for a seasoned traveler, but there is no way you're getting through LHR without talking to someone, and more than half the time they actually pat down every single person getting on a plane.

Not saying things aren't terrible, the gov't isn't out to get us, etc. Just saying that US airport security is not a good example.

Would you like a list of the 42 countries on 6 continents? There seems to be less screening on INTERNATIONAL flights overseas than on DOMESTIC flights within the US. Only one of those countries have I been subjected to both a full body scanner AND a pat down. That would be the US. And I was traveling on business, for the government. But I'm sure my dog tags and watch were a big threat. It isn't like a operate aircraft, while carrying a firearm or anything...

No, US airport security is much worse than almost any other country, with few exceptions of course.

If you are using LHR as an example, then your view will be skewed, as England is one of those exceptions as being worse, and London couldn't be more inappropriate to use an example of overseas airports.

Lakehurst is no where near the area mention in the OP, and the main JB MDL is even further away...

Lakehurst is the 'L' in JBMDL. And it is not that far from Tinton Falls.

I usually hear the range activity at JBMDL--shakes the whole house, it is pretty cool. Maybe coincidental, but the range activity (bombing?) and helo flyovers were extremely high Wednesday night. I can't remember how late it went, but we were feeling a high number of explosions, several series in rapid succession. Much more activity than I can remember. Could be a coordinated training exercise throught the region?

It's all good, except I temporarilly lose broadcast TV reception during a lot of the flyovers.

Tin-foil hat warning...

Could be practice for private security firms contracted by the US Govt (hence the use of leased copters), as they would be the ones instituting martial law when stuff goes down, ala Jericho style. This is the way that you can get an armed force put together quickly that will do anything the guy holding the money purse will say. They may be using the empty housing areas of Ft Monmouth to practice insertion techniques into suburban neighborhoods.

Very tin-foil hatty I know. But if this was just a normal exercise by the NJSP or an actual US military institution, I would think this type of thing would have had information disseminated down to all local PD and municipalities for preparation.

Another idea after browsing around...

The location might be a close fit geography and building-wise for a top secret operation that is going to go down overseas. This could be some special military unit using these locations as practice for the secret mission. Hence they have to also keep the practice as secret as possible.

Similar story : http://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog/archives/2011/11/20/secretary-military-maneuvers-okd-by-lr-mayor