robot_hell

Blood pitting/suicide guns

I was searching around gunbroker looking for parts to build a mutt 1911. I came across this, and at first I was intrigued/interested because they are Colt parts and the price seemed pretty good.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=291347403

I figured some finish damage is no big deal for a starter project, but when I took a closer look at the photos, the probable source of the finish damage hit me-- it looks like it was used in a suicide. Now, that's an assumption, but for me, it's a non-starter. There's just something deeply unnerving about owning a pistol that was used in a suicide and it's a complete dealbreaker. The logical part of my mind says it's just an inanimate object, but there's some other part that is strongly averse to it.

Yet, at the same time, I am am perfectly comfortable owning a milsurp rifle that has more than likely been used in wars and to take human life. Sobering to think about, but it's part of the gun's history. Once there's blood pitting involved, though, things get a bit more visceral.

How do you feel about the subject? Dealbreaker or not, and where is the line for you?

I'm sure people will tell you that you are being silly . Really does not matter though what other people think. If you won't be happy with it , why spend the money? Does not matter if it is based in superstition , or what. If it will always be in your mind then don't spend your money on it. That is my take on it.

How do you know the pitting is from blood? Does the fact that the receiver is not included further lend to it having bad history?

couldve been carried IWB in a small holster with the muzzle exposed. couldve been kept in a wet environment. couldve been in a flooded basement. its an old gun, made before modern corrosion resistant finishes. no way in hell you can just look at rust on a gun and think 'it must be from a suicide.' and if it WAS from a suicide, it was likely cataloged as evidence. i cant imagine anyone going through the evidence locker and suddenly selling things from it, even without the frame.

Since when is blood corrosive? Or do you think an alien offed itself with that pistol?

Blood is only slightly above base , close to most tap water. But it would still ruin metal if left on it , same as ...water. That is why I was asking what lead him to believe the pitting was caused by blood rather than water. General curiosity .

One of my shooting buddies is an ex cop who told me about a report of a gunshot he responded to. It was a suicide and I guess the mental image of his description stuck in my mind. Maybe I'm seeing something that's not there but when I considered it a possibility it gave me chills regardless.

One of my shooting buddies is an ex cop who told me about a report of a gunshot he responded to. It was a suicide and I guess the mental image of his description stuck in my mind. Maybe I'm seeing something that's not there but when I considered it a possibility it gave me chills regardless.

Honestly, the corrosion is too uniform. It's on the INSIDE of the trigger hoop and on the main spring. Looks to me like a general lack of appropriate corrosion protection in a humid environment for a fairly long period of time. I'm sure you could google "blood pitting on guns" and click on images and get a better idea of what that really looks like but to me, what you've shown us is NOT it.

JMHO

couldve been carried IWB in a small holster with the muzzle exposed. couldve been kept in a wet environment. couldve been in a flooded basement. its an old gun, made before modern corrosion resistant finishes. no way in hell you can just look at rust on a gun and think 'it must be from a suicide.' and if it WAS from a suicide, it was likely cataloged as evidence. i cant imagine anyone going through the evidence locker and suddenly selling things from it, even without the frame.

Depends entirely on the local rules. HERE?? ANY firearm used in a shooting is going to be kept forever if there is an injury or death involved..but thats MY county policy..otehr counties are different, and it's completely possible for a firearm to be parted out and only the Serialed Frame/Receiver to be destroyed once the case is closed out, again depending on local rules.

I had a retired cop friend offer me a pistol but he said it had history. When I inquired further, it turned out it was a friend of his on the job. He was convicted of child molesting and used it to off himself. It was his duty weapon and it was given to the widow who gave it to my friend. I declined the purchase and told him to run it through the band saw and take it out on his next boat trip and give it a burial at sea. He thought that was a good idea too.....

Honestly, the corrosion is too uniform. It's on the INSIDE of the trigger hoop and on the main spring. Looks to me like a general lack of appropriate corrosion protection in a humid environment for a fairly long period of time. I'm sure you could google "blood pitting on guns" and click on images and get a better idea of what that really looks like but to me, what you've shown us is NOT it.

JMHO

+1

I also own Mil Surp Rifles, and understand the rifles were likely used to take lives in a time of war. One or Two of my rifles probably took American Lives during war time. I'm OK with this because it is speculation on my behalf. I do not have any ballistic proof that any of my guns were used to take a life. I would not buy a gun that was Used in a suicide, where I could look up a name and see a picture. Too recent for me.

I have to agree with the poster above, it looks like poor maintainence not blood pitting. But if your not sure don't drop the money.

Depends entirely on the local rules. HERE?? ANY firearm used in a shooting is going to be kept forever if there is an injury or death involved..but thats MY county policy..otehr counties are different, and it's completely possible for a firearm to be parted out and only the Serialed Frame/Receiver to be destroyed once the case is closed out, again depending on local rules.

So this brings up the next question for a new thread. What gun should I keep as a suicide gun? I do not want my expensive Kimber sitting on an evidence shelf getting pitted.

That seems pretty conclusive. If it were me , paaaaassssssss . Not that I believe in juju or whatever , it would just always be on my mind . If I bought something that was used in war , then it is part of the whole package. Plus , fighting for ones beliefs has a different feel to it than suicide or civilian acts of homicide. JMO.

So this brings up the next question for a new thread. What gun should I keep as a suicide gun? I do not want my expensive Kimber sitting on an evidence shelf getting pitted.

Lol, couldn't live with that, huh??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Considering your age..Cap-and Ball Revolver????? :B:):

this

As far as I'm concerned, to think that there's anything wrong with a suicide gun that makes it somehow "evil" or "bad" is the same way antis feel about guns in general.

Actually, for me, I wouldn't have any compunctions with a suicide gun, they're usually cheaper, and it's a bit of "history" to a gun. I don't think it really gives bad joo-joo, I think it sort of makes it kind of badass.

Blood is only slightly above base , close to most tap water. But it would still ruin metal if left on it , same as ...water. That is why I was asking what lead him to believe the pitting was caused by blood rather than water. General curiosity .

However the residue from the blood attracts moisture and causes more corrosion than water.

JMHO

You may be correct or the gun had an artery squirting all over it as the guy bled out.

As far as I'm concerned, to think that there's anything wrong with a suicide gun that makes it somehow "evil" or "bad" is the same way antis feel about guns in general.

Actually, for me, I wouldn't have any compunctions with a suicide gun, they're usually cheaper, and it's a bit of "history" to a gun. I don't think it really gives bad joo-joo, I think it sort of makes it kind of badass.

Are you just trying to be provocative, or is there really a market for these "cheaper" suicide-related guns and the bits of "history" connected with them that you know about?

Are you just trying to be provocative, or is there really a market for these "cheaper" suicide-related guns and the bits of "history" connected with them that you know about?

I suppose "History" was the wrong word. I couldn't think of what to say. Let's say, hypothetically, that I were looking at a gun I REALLY wanted. We have two that are exactly the same, same wear and tear, stocks, sights, whatever. If the suicide gun is cheaper, I'll take it. I mean, to me at least, unless there's visible, obvious signs that it was used in a suicide, I don't think I'd really care. A gun is a tool, there's no reason to attach some sort of significance to the fact it was a suicide gun.

Think of it this way. How many of you out there love surplus rifles? With regards to surplus rifles, condition is king, however, one that's in good condition, that was used in a historic battle, let's say D-Day, may be worth more to a collector with the proper proofs. YET, we can safely assume that a rifle used in war may very well have been used to take someone's life. What then, is the difference between buying a weapon used in a suicide, and a military weapon that may have saw combat? Yes, a suicide gun doesn't have collector's value (except if it were like, Kurt Cobaine's) but it's the same premise. Both could have been used to take a life, yet one is considered "creepy" and the other is not.