chumo00

Buying guns from friend of family

Hello, I am new to this forum. Here is my situation. My wife and I do not have gun permits. A friend of the family is getting gold and wants to give away his guns, a few handguns and rifles. I have never owned or used a gun so I have no idea where to start. I suppose first I need to verify he has all his paperwork then my wife and I need to apply for permits. We would like to use these at a gun range for training and home defense. We may also sell off some rifles as we do not hunt. If you can provide a step by step plan to accomplish all this I would be very grateful! As of now the weapons are in a safe location and I will not go near them till everything is done legally to transfer ownership. Also can he just gift them all to me or do I have to purchase them? Thanks, I live in North Jersey, passaic county.

Hello, I am new to this forum. Here is my situation. My wife and I do not have gun permits. A friend of the family is getting gold and wants to give away his guns, a few handguns and rifles. I have never owned or used a gun so I have no idea where to start. I suppose first I need to verify he has all his paperwork then my wife and I need to apply for permits. We would like to use these at a gun range for training and home defense. We may also sell off some rifles as we do not hunt. If you can provide a step by step plan to accomplish all this I would be very grateful! As of now the weapons are in a safe location and I will not go near them till everything is done legally to transfer ownership. Also can he just gift them all to me or do I have to purchase them? Thanks, I live in North Jersey, passaic county.

I would buy more rifles if I was getting some gold, but to each his own!

Step 1: go to your local PD department, apply for a firearms id card and handgun permits

Step 2: get finger printed

Step 3: wait 4-8 months

Step 4: purchase guns from friend, you are limited to purchasing 1 ( one ) handgun per month, with a handgun permit for each )

**** note : Each town may be a little different for the application process and paperwork needs, as well as wait time , and this... assuming the seller lives in NJ too****

Apply for your FID's and also P2P's that will be needed for each handgun. You may also wish to apply for an exemption while you are at it and state that you are looking to take a collection of handguns. This would allow you to take possession of all the handguns at one time rather than wait the 30 days between purchases.

Remember an FID is good for long guns, doesn't matter how many, Handguns need a P2P for each one.

Stop for a second... where does he live? If he lives in a state other than New Jersey, you have to go though all of the steps above, plus transfer them through a dealer.

I agree with everything except the pistol purchase I think.

Ok: Scenario... When my boy transferred to Okinawa, he couldn't take his handguns. I told him I'd buy them from him to help him out with much needed funds. My Detective told me to apply for the 2 permits. Went through the whole rigamarole... (sp?)

Mind you I have't done a private pistol purchase in years.

Started filling out the permits and low and behold... NO place to enter a private seller anymore like years ago. Now what.... Detective was clueless. So in a panic, he was shipping out the next day... I called Trenton... They said the permit system is total fubar and when they revised the permits, they caused mass confusion with the state.

They told me there really isn't a way to use the permits like that anymore. They hate the new permits down there and supposedly getting revised again.

Ok, so now what... Simple she said. Download the transfer form, fill it out completely and mail out the copies like normal. They would take all the guns and enter them under my FID... That was it. Would have cost me nothing more than a few stamps.

I had to void the permits and lost all the fees. Told that to the detective and he basically said holy crap.

So correct me I'm wrong but is there any other way without going through a dealer even in that scenario or should he just check with Trenton? Have they changed the process recently or? I realize he still has to get the initial FID... My wife just got hers a few years ago... Took about 2 months...

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Ok: Scenario... When my boy transferred to Okinawa, he couldn't take his handguns. I told him I'd buy them from him to help him out with much needed funds. My Detective told me to apply for the 2 permits. Went through the whole rigamarole... (sp?)

Started filling out the permits and low and behold... NO place to enter a private seller anymore like years ago. Now what.... Detective was clueless. So in a panic, he was shipping out the next day... I called Trenton... They said the permit system is total fubar and when they revised the permits, they caused mass confusion with the state.

They told me there really isn't a way to use the permits like that anymore. They hate the new permits down there and supposedly getting revised again.

Ok, so now what... Simple she said. Download the transfer form, fill it out completely and mail out the copies like normal. They would take all the guns and enter them under my FID... That was it. Would have cost me nothing more than a few stamps.

I had to void the permits and lost all the fees. Told that to the detective and he basically said holy crap.

So correct me I'm wrong but is there any other way without going through a dealer even in that scenario or should he just check with Trenton? Have they changed the process recently or? I realize he still has to get the initial FID... My wife just got hers a few years ago... Took about 2 months...

Whats wrong with the pistol purchase??? You can apply for as many P2P's as you like, there is no limit, and he can file for an exemption and allow him to pick all of them regardless of how many at one time.. I don't see the problem..

Great info, I noticed a typo in my post. He is getting OLD not GOLD, lol sorry he is going into a hospital guns aren't allowed. Also yes he does live in NJ. So I will go down to the police station and request permit and exemption for the gun collection. I just want to sell the long guns do I still need to get all the permits to do that? Want to keep handguns and ammo.

Apply for your FID, and apply for a permit to purchase pistols per each handgun u are acquiring. If he is giving you 10 handguns let's say, then apply for 10 P2P's. Also, get in touch with the guy and write down all the serial numbers for the pistols make and model, then apply for an ogam exemption(you need to declare the pistols for the ogam(one gun a month) exemption). You are Done! the PD will walk you through the rest of the process of medical health and background check.

For the rifles, you just need the FID. Print out the COE(certificate of eligibility) from the NJSP site, and bring double the copies for the rifles he is giving you. Fill out 2 for each rifle, and you both keep a copy. You are done with the rifle transaction.

Each handgun requires a permit to purchase from your PD

And an OGAM exemption if you plan on getting them all at once

Each rifle requires a valid FID and a COE(which you can literally print right off the interwebs)

Come back to NJGF marketplace and list said rifles for sale!

All P2P's come with an individual and store section for sales, at lease all the ones i have in the past 3 years do(looking at a valid one right now).

Here is the link to the NJSP firearms web page:

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/about/firearms.html

How many hand guns and how many rifles are you going to acquire?

WTF???

What are you talking about?

Agreed, Everything you said bhunted sounds extremely scetchy if true, and NOT the way to do it.

There is a place to enter private seller on the pistol permit... Under " SELLER " ; same spot where a gun store or ffl would fill it out.

Oh, it's true... and that's what I was going to do.. In the spot where the reseller is suppose to go on a permit, I recall it said a licensed ffl dealer or similar. Why would any of this sound strange guys... It came right from Trenton... It's what I had to do without permits it worked. They were all content. Just saying....

Anyone happen to have a current permit they can take a photo of and blank out their personal stuff? I apologize... not trying to hijack the thread.

Agreed, Everything you said bhunted sounds extremely scetchy if true, and NOT the way to do it.

There is a place to enter private seller on the pistol permit... Under " SELLER " ; same spot where a gun store or ffl would fill it out.

I just told you... I depicted the whole transaction and what I had to go through. No bs... it's what happened. Not my fault... whether someone screwed up, I dunno...

Final word came from the Trenton State Police.

WTF???

What are you talking about?

Just for kicks and giggles... what are you acquiring?

I know this sounds terrible, but some interesting firearms always appear in situations like these.

I have no idea how many guns he has..I was just made aware he has a locked storage space with alot of gun and rifles..That is all I know, I know nothing about guns so when I see them ill post pictures to get thoughts on what is valuable. thanks

I have no idea how many guns he has..I was just made aware he has a locked storage space with alot of gun and rifles..That is all I know, I know nothing about guns so when I see them ill post pictures to get thoughts on what is valuable. thanks

You definetly want to make sure they are NJ legal weapons before taking possesion and before posting any pictures.

I'm not sure what you should do if any are NJ illegal.

Maybe someone elae could chime in.

I'd hate for you to get jammed up for taking posession of an M1 carbine.

In order to file for the OGAM exemption, you need a list of the handguns and serial numbers as well, I believe. I would look everything over first and get that info. Make, Model, Serial #, etc.

bhunted,

NO place to enter a private seller anymore like years ago.

No place on the "permit to purchase a handgun"? I believe that I have seen the most recent updated permit (09/11) and there still is a section for this. Perhaps there is a new one? :unknw:

Now what.... Detective was clueless. So in a panic, he was shipping out the next day... I called Trenton... They said the permit system is total fubar and when they revised the permits, they caused mass confusion with the state.

No way to do a face to face anymore? Perhaps you both were misunderstanding each other.

Download the transfer form, fill it out completely and mail out the copies like normal. They would take all the guns and enter them under my FID... That was it. Would have cost me nothing more than a few stamps.

Download WHAT form? This is why I WTFed you. Perhaps you can share this downloadable form to transfer handguns.

I still need to WTF here.

You are wrong or are trying to convey something entirely different.

Please, do not take this the wrong way, but none of this makes sense.

Ok went to police station and was told I needed to speak to a sergeant that only works certain days. They took my info and said they would get back to me..Was I blown off? They did not give me any forms to get ball rolling. I will post updates as this plays out. Thanks have a great weekend everyone.

Also I have been getting contacted by people offering to buy these weapons. I am not looking to get setup by any undercover agents so no I have no intention of selling anything until I am convinced I have all permits and guns are transferred legally. Please do not contact me about this as I will ignore. I only posted to get instructions on complying with the law. Thanks

An FPID (that's Firearms Purchaser Identification) card is needed to purchase long guns or handgun ammo in NJ. It is good for as long as you live at that address (and DL & FPID addresses must match). You can purchase as many long guns as you want, once you have this. No constraints. In order to purchase a handgun, an individual Permit to Purchase (P2P) a handgun must be obtained for each handgun you desire. You may only purchase one handgun in any 30 day period - one gun a month (OGAM) - unless you fall under and have applied for one of the exemptions (Forms SP-015 & SP-016. NOTE: For a large quantity you may need SP-015A, which simply provides an addendum for more guns).

The process for applying for your FPID and/or P2P's is the same and consists of three elements:

Element 1 - The Application - Form STS-033. This is used for both FPID's and P2P's and you may apply for both simultaneously - just check the applicable boxes at the top of the form. NOTE: You may apply for as many P2P's as you wish - the PD cannot limit the number you apply for or the number given out when approved. If you are using a multiple handgun exemption form, you will still need one P2P for each handgun listed. The exemption forms can be submitted with your FPID/P2P application.

Element 2 - Fingerprinting or Non-criminal Background Check - Since this is your initial application you will have to be fingerprinted. NJ now uses a third party entity (Morpho-Trak aka Sagem Morpho) to accomplish this. Your PD will give you instructions and you will have to make an appointment. There is a charge for fingerprinting - appx $60. Subsequent applications (i.e. for P2P's) will not require fingerprinting, just the completion of form SP-212A. (Non-criminal Background Check). This form is printed on yellow paper and is only available from your PD. There is an $18 charge for the Non-criminal Background check (MO made out to NJSP / SBI Division).

Element 3 - Mental Health Background Check - Complete form SP-066. This form must be signed in the presence of the investigationg police officer or their designate.

The application and Mental health forms (STS-033 and SP-066 respectively), as well as the handgun exemption forms are available on line at the NJSP website or are available from your PD.

The FPID card is $5 and the P2P's are $2 each. The P2P's are good for 90 days, and at the discretion of your PD can be extended for another 90 days (180 days total from date of issue).

Please note that any additional forms or requirements beyond those listed above are illegal. The police are supposed to be bound by the statutes just as we, as gunowners, are - that is not always the case. If they place an additional form or requirement in the process it is up to you whether to resist/refuse or comply - in either case I'd notify the NJ2AS and let them know - they are working on getting all PD's to comply with the law.

You can apply for as many P2P's as you want - but unless you file for an exemption, you can only use one every 30 days. Do not let the PD tell you you cannot have the number of P2P's you have requested - they cannot restrict that.

That about wraps it up. Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Ok went to police station and was told I needed to speak to a sergeant that only works certain days. They took my info and said they would get back to me..Was I blown off? They did not give me any forms to get ball rolling. I will post updates as this plays out. Thanks have a great weekend everyone.

No, you were treated just like 90% of NJ gun owners. Unfortunately, you're about to find out just how anti-rights NJ is and how the system is designed to be as difficult as possible for you to buy guns. That being said, please consider joining NJ2AS (most important one for us), ANJRPC, SAF, and the NRA if you aren't members of these groups already. These are the 4 important groups that are fighting to restore our gun rights.

Also I have been getting contacted by people offering to buy these weapons. I am not looking to get setup by any undercover agents so no I have no intention of selling anything until I am convinced I have all permits and guns are transferred legally. Please do not contact me about this as I will ignore. I only posted to get instructions on complying with the law. Thanks

While I understand your concerns, I can reasonably assure you that the people who have contacted you from this site aren't looking to bust you and have you thrown in jail. Rather, they are likely trying to buy your newly acquired guns for far less than they are worth because you already admitted that you are uneducated in the field of firearms. :prankster:

If the coe is signed and filled out by the owner he can sell them to anyone. Just saying

I think it's safe to say no one is trying to set you up. Keep in mind that a good number of us on this forum are into collecting and look for situations like this to add to their collection.

OK, my bad... Called the form a transfer form. I had to dig it out. It's a Voluntary Registration Form S.P.650 (Rev. 01/08)... This they told me is all I needed.

This form may only be utilized to voluntarily register firearms you own that may be lawfully possessed

in New Jersey that were previously acquired under any one of the following circumstances:

1. Inherited pursuant to N.J.S.A. 2C:58-3j;

2. Lawfully acquired in another state pursuant to state and federal laws; or

3. Lawfully acquired in New Jersey pursuant to N.J.S.A. 2C:58-3a and N.J.S.A. 2C:58-3b.

As for the actual permit, I said no place to enter a private seller a name....

bhunted,

No place on the "permit to purchase a handgun"? I believe that I have seen the most recent updated permit (09/11) and there still is a section for this. Perhaps there is a new one? :unknw:

No way to do a face to face anymore? Perhaps you both were misunderstanding each other.

Download WHAT form? This is why I WTFed you. Perhaps you can share this downloadable form to transfer handguns.

I still need to WTF here.

You are wrong or are trying to convey something entirely different.

Please, do not take this the wrong way, but none of this makes sense.