iceburn68

New guy at the range question

Shooting someone else's gun at the range  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Shooting someone else's gun at the range

• Offer them some cash for the ammo
    • Carry some of each ammo to use in their gun
    • Do nothing, that's just how it works

I've got a quick new guy question for those of you who are more experienced with being at the range. I joined SJSC and everyone has been very nice, almost too nice... and that leads to my question...

Right now I'm shooting all .22LR guns but I am actively shopping for a 9/45 pistol and eventually a bigger rifle. The last time I was at the range two gentleman were nice enough to let me shoot their Sigs and 1911s (Both in the running) without me even asking. However, knowing the price of ammo, 45 especially, would it be more appropriate to offer some cash for the ammo, keep some standard ammo in my ammo can and offer to shoot that, or do nothing because that is normal at the range...

I have no problem carrying some 9mm and 45 ACP but I also don't what to shoot what I have, which they may not like, through someone's gun if they are picky about ammo, which I can also understand...

Any input? Feel free to add your input to the poll...

Thanks as always...

I was in the same position not too long ago and all declined to accept cash for their ammo but I made it a point to carry a box each of decent .45 and .40 ammo and was able to repay their generosity.

All but the most temperamental gun will cycle decent ammo and it's owner will appreciate the gesture.

I was in the same position not too long ago and all declined to accept cash for their ammo but I made it a point to carry a box each of decent .45 and .40 ammo and was able to repay their generosity.

All but the most temperamental gun will cycle decent ammo and it's owner will appreciate the gesture.

Thanks, any suggestion on a generally excepted brand / type...

Thanks, any suggestion on a generally excepted brand / type...

I've come to learn that the shooting community is largely made up of generous,genuine and honest folks that would go out of their way to initiate nubees into the fold, frequently at great expense and demands on their valuable time. Accept graciously and as Mr Bob said "Play it forward". I purchased Remington ammo at my local Dick's and it seemed to please everyone.

You can't go wrong with Remington UMC from Dicks.

IMHO, if you know you are going to shoot somebody else's guns, you should bring your own ammo, at least a box or two.

If somebody on the range offers, shoot a magazine (or cylinder) and thank them heartily. Then offer to let them shoot your stuff. And yes, pay it forward.

I'm far from reloading at this point in the game... I see dicks has UMC on sale so I'll pick up some of that... I just didn't want to add insult by offering dirty or cheap ammunition to run through their gun... thanks for the suggestions...

You can't go wrong with Remington UMC from Dicks.

IMHO, if you know you are going to shoot somebody else's guns, you should bring your own ammo, at least a box or two.

If somebody on the range offers, shoot a magazine (or cylinder) and thank them heartily. Then offer to let them shoot your stuff. And yes, pay it forward.

THIS!

And I'll add one other thing: When I'm going to the outdoor range this time of year, I always bring-along a cooler with 6-9 drinks (diet soda, diet iced tea, bottled water and frozen bottled water). If someone were to "give me a ride" with a mag or two and then graciously declined an offer to plink with my .22, I'd brow-beat them until they decide WHICH type of cold drink they want, lol! Even though no one will take cash for a free ride, they'll gladly accept a nice cold drink when it's near 100 degrees out! And a new friendship is made, especially IF the poor nice bastard forgot to pack a drink for him or her self.

In the winter I buy pocket warmers by the case at Costco. Whenever I show-up I have them in the trunk of the car. Someone is nice to me, I'm nice to them with some pocket warmers. It's not the cost of the ammo, it's the gesture and the respect that goes with it. Paying it forward, I've already put a case of pocket warmers on the table at Shotgun League. A few months later my gun's spring broke, so I was out-of-action! Someone who remembered the pocket warmers said, "Here, use my Gun"!

Even if you don't have the right brand ammo, there are still ways to be nice......

Dave

I agree with Dave. Generally it doesn't matter what's offered but it's more the gesture to show appreciation. If I want to try somebodies weapon out I usually wait until they offer. Then I offer to let them try any of my large cache I travel to the range with. If not then buy them coffee or a beverage. I always travel with a cooler too. Best approach is to carry a spare box of different calibers. Overall most guys won't think twice about sharing their weapon. I know I like when somebody just appreciates what they are shooting and it benefits the industry as a whole.

I've met some of the friendliest people at the range. Within the past 3 weeks alone I've shot 4 different (very expensive) AR15's and a handful of handguns.

One guy was nice enough that he handed me about 20 rds of his 5.56 after catching me drooling over his AR setup lol. So while I enjoyed shooting his rifle, he was in my port firing away with my brand new Gen4 glock 23. I can't remember but I'm sure I handed him at least a magazine or two of my ammo.

Others I've met in neighboring ports have almost always offered me a few shots after a quick hello and usually swap ports for a few minutes.

In terms of offering money, this has never happened since it's always been a swap.

^ This should be an option in the poll above.

Pay it forward, definitely.

The last 2 visits at my range in EFGA I have been offered to shoot multiple firearms from pistols to classic rifles. Just today alone I met up with a member from This forum and he offered to let me shoot his mosin nagant and a few other pistols. I was so distracted today with the wifey being with me for her first time at my range and I was more focused for her safety more than anything. So I didn't even think about offering him any money or anything, but I did mention to him that when I get my AR complete he can shoot that then. I do feel like a bit of an a-hole for forgetting to offer something. But I am most likely sure that I will get to shoot with him again.

Everytime I do shoot somebody's firearm, I do offer for them to shoot mine too. But they always politely decline.

Above all else , pay it forward.

For everything else , no need to over think it , common courtesy applies . For instance:

If I have made ahead of time arrangements to go try someone's guns , I make sure to bring a decent brand of factory ammo for them , along with a few targets. I offer to pick up the port too.

If I am out and someone spontaneously allows me to try their gun and I don't have the ammo for it , I don't fire out more than one or two magazines (unless they insist I shoot more) before thanking them and offering any of my firearms for them to try likewise. If you do not have anything to offer at the time , just make sure to really thank them , say you owe them one , and mean it. Like Dave said , a cold drink is always nice.

If I am meeting up with someone and we are going to be sharing our guns , I bring extra ammo of anything I think we'll be using that way we can all play for a bit longer before running dry , I also bring targets , snacks , drinks etc :)

Pay it forward. When ever someone at the range shows an interest in one of your guns offer them the chance to shoot it. You will find many shooters that are more than happy to let you try their stuff. I never ask to try someones gun, will do so only if offered. But those offers come all the time. That's part of the fun of going to the range.

This is a great problem to have. Unfortunately I have yet to encounter that. I've brought many of my friends to go shooting but no one at the range has ever offered to let me shoot. I'd love to try a lot of the guns people bring to the range. All my friends do is shoot my guns. And they never pay for rounds.... Sometimes it annoys me cause like we all know. Ammo is expensive! Ok... Rant over.

As for offering money, I've always felt awkward offering to buy anything for the person who did something nice for me. I never know how they'd react. If I offer you something you have to take it or I feel bad. Lol. I'd probably just offer to let them shoot mine.

Pay it forward. When ever someone at the range shows an interest in one of your guns offer them the chance to shoot it. You will find many shooters that are more than happy to let you try their stuff. I never ask to try someones gun, will do so only if offered. But those offers come all the time. That's part of the fun of going to the range.

Maybe it's just Ready Aim Fire but these offers never come my way there. It seems like everyone keeps to theselves there.

Usually gun people are more than happy to have others use their kit and hopefully appreciate it in the same way they do. Politely offer cash if they are generous or hand them some of your own ammo stash if same caliber and if they decline then just thank them kindly and pay it forward.

SHY_Veritas - If you are supplying the firearms / driving then they should definitely chip in. I brought 3 friends along (separately) and 2 offered to pay for their own range fee and portion of ammo and the third paid for lunch / tolls / gas and beer for the (firearms free) party that evening. You would ask people to pay their own way in any other social situation, this is no different.

Edit - And this has not stopped 2 of the 3 from applying for their own FIDs and asking to come shoot with me while they wait for approval.

Remembering this thread while I was at SS this afternoon, I offered a couple of mags and my CZ to a young couple shooting a rental .22 the next lane over. The young lady had heard of SS and their rentals from a client and surprised her Boyfriend with a visit for his birthday and they were having a great time.

I chatted with them for awhile and gave them the basics on obtaining a FID and P2P as well as NJGF for any additional questions. After 1 mag each,I could see they were hooked and it felt good to pay it forward,no instructions other than safety and mechanics and I let them go to town.....I think two more into the fold and all is right with the world.

Did not read all the responses, so foregive if this is a repeat.

IMHO it depends on who offered.

If you are admiring someone's gun and they offer you an opportunity to try it out, then it is a favor and you are not obliged to offer to pay for the ammo, so long as you are reasonable (i.e. shoot 5-to-10 rounds, certainly keep it less than $3 or $4). If someone offers you a chance to shoot their BMG, well maybe keept it to one shot.

If you ask someone to try their gun, then you should offer them a fiver for the ammo.

Kids, always shoot free. Anyone who charges a kid for ammo should be smacked.