LibertyOrDeath

Whats in your Bug*Out*Bag (B*B)

Ok, I believe you can never be too prepared. I have a Alpine internal frame B*B:

3 liter bladder with 35,000 gallon micro filter down to .0001 microns

2 stainless steel water bottles, 1 for cooking

3 days worth of freeze dried food and MREs for 3 people-Me, Wife and Child

1/2 roll of TP

4 full size freezer bags-food storage

1 Mini shovel

1 Gerber Jr Gator Machete

1 Cold Steel Bowie

1 100' length of 550 Paracord

1 2 person all weather hiking tent

1 Mat for the tent

1 pair thermal socks, underware

2 Hats, 1 winter 1 summer

1 pair leather gloves

3 Flash lights-1 dynamo operated light, no Batt needed

3 Compasses

1 Dynamo operated Radio

1 First aid kit I built myself with everything from bandaids, antibiotics upto splints and Quick Clot-Its a full MASH kit about the size of a toiletry kit

1 Survival kit I built myself with everything from 4 different ways to start fire in any enviroment, 3 ways to build a shelter, Hunting snares, fishing kit, signaling devices...the list goes on. Also about the size of the average toiletry bag.

I would carry 1 pistol, G19 + 4 (15) round magz and My AR15 with 4 (15) round magz

Theres a few more things I havent mentioned but these are the basics, my pack weighs 25 lbs fully loaded. Being that I hike regularly this is a fairly lite load. The max weight carried in 24hrs upto 50 miles a day is supposed to be 23% of your total body weight in order to avoid collapse, severe fatigue and or injury. My MW is 53lbs so Im right at half that.

I have a radio too. That used to be the gold standard of minimal preparidness: access to public announcements over the radio,

Well, the Huricane last summer gave me a reason to break out Tub #1: Radio, flashlights, batteries, candles, matches, portable stove, etc.

Once the power when out, we listened to the radio for hours to try and get information. Nope. Only 1 south Jersey station gave info: 101.5 NJ. And they just kept repeating the same info over and over.

Times have changed. But it is good to know that if there is ever a disaster in NJ and Philly is unaffected, the spew of Hip Hop over the airwaves will continue.

I would like to stock some gas (something i need to research, im assuming you need something to keep it from going bad...) and invest in a 4x4 vehicle (mostly for winter and trips to lowes/homedepot but also JUST IN CASE).

I have two 5 gallon cans of gas and a 1 gallon can as well as a funnel. Just rotate the gas every 6 months by dumping it into your car. The gas idea came from Hurricane Irene. Gas pumps won't work if there is no power. 10 gallons is enough to get me to work for a month... but I drive a hybrid.

I have a BOB but honestly, now that we are in the house, i think my main thing will be to stock up on supplies for Bugging IN rather than out. Much more likely think to happen would be to hunker down for a while. Food/water/protection if thats the case.

My BOB is pretty simple and includes most of the stuff listed above but can def use some more stuff and honestly, a better bag to put it all in (just using a simple hiking backpack right now)

I would like to stock some gas (something i need to research, im assuming you need something to keep it from going bad...) and invest in a 4x4 vehicle (mostly for winter and trips to lowes/homedepot but also JUST IN CASE).

What i do want to do ASAP is piece together a better AT HOME 1st aid kit and small emergency bags for each of our vehicles (almost like a mini 72hr bag)....

I put Stabil in the 2 jerry cans of petrol I keep in the garage but rotate it out every year,drinking water every 6 months and basically check on expiration dates on everything else the same time I replenish the water.

You'll most properly never need most of the stuff in your BOB but we were forced to basically Bug out last year due to massive flooding and 6 days of no power after the hurricane and while we had ample time to leave,I would hate to be put in a position where I'd forgot something or didn't have enough time to pack it in an emergency situation. And no the guns stayed securely locked up at home.

i keep a small backpack in my car with the usual items (first aid, knife, flashlight, candle lantern, etc...)

i don't think one can predict the nature, impact and duration of a situation calling for one to survive without our home, etc...

the most important things i carry are:

Pur water filter with bottles, including single wall stainless steel water bottle also for cooking / boiling water

hand axe from home depot, about 24 inches and a gerber folding saw (8 inches collapsed)

several lighters and flint striker.

these are items for an extreme situation obviously.

If things go sideways in the NY Metro area, I'm prepared to sit tight for about 2~3 weeks (food, water, security ... all GTG). If things haven't gotten squared away by then, I'm heading north to my sisters place up in NH. I'm prepared to do that by car, bicycle or on foot if I have to. My only concern is crossing the Hudson River if the bridges are gone...figuring that out might suck - especially if I'm on foot.

As for my BOB itself, I've got a Kifaru pack with all the usual stuff in it. It's in the trunk all the time. I replenish/replace the food stuffs regularly.

:haha:

?? Seriously. If a situation is bad enough to make people leave there homes and take to the streets, I think the cops in my small town would have more to worry about. That is just my opinion and you don't have to agree. I see no problem with people having bug out bags, Like anything else it can be fun and a hobby. I have a lot of water and canned foods, bugging out is my last option. So it doesn't hurt to have something ready to go. Again that's just my opinion.

Bugging out with guns. I suggest one simple rule:

1. Has law enforcement broken down?
    No: Carry two longguns unloaded, cased, and separate from ammo.
    Yes: It's f---ing Alabama, baby: Shotgun in a scabbord over the shoulder, 1911 on your leg, AR15 in a 2-point sling, and a "F--- Width Me 'n Die" expression in your eyes.

Joke!

I don't have a BOB, but my wife and I each have a GHB(LAPG Bailout Bag) with the following:

550 cord (and pro-knot cards showing different knots)

Gorilla Tape

Zip ties

First aid kit

Sewing kit

Light sticks

Bids/waterproof matches/firesteel/tinder

Flashlights(Surefire Fury w/ 2 sets of extra batteries)

Rite in the Rain pad with pressurized "space pen"

Gerber multiple tool

CRKT Eat N Tool

Bug Spray

Sun screen

2 ponchos

SOL Survival blanket

Travel Wipes

Deck of cards with survival stuff (realistically to fight boredom)

3 pouches of Datrex water

1L of water in metal water bottle (change daily)

Eyes & in-ear protection

Otis Zombie gun cleaning system (great field kit)

HK folding knife (wife has a Ka-Bar folder)

2 Cliff bars & small bag of mixed nuts

Mini-TP rolls

all that, and I still have room for my USP 45 in it's box

We tailor clothing in these for the season. We started out with a BOB, but decided these are more practical (I use the multi-tool, knife, and flashlight almost daily). Our BOB, when coupled with out GHB's has become our INCH bag. It has larger supplies of water, sturdier tools, clothes, dog food, hygiene stuff, etc... In addition, we have 2 cases of military MRE's ready to go. My town was one of the ones that Irene took out of commission for over a week. Not gonna lie, we were spared by about 2 blocks (no floods, had power), but it was a bit close for comfort.

Hello all!

New Guy here.

Here's a real good list, a bit confusing at first but you'll work your way around it.

Best list I have ever found, have applied maybe 80% spread over various bags.

Still building and rearranging as opportunity lets me.

Covers a-z.

For arms, depending on the situation and just how bad it is, might be all of it :) , but a perfect companion for me is a scoped Marlin Papoose w/ 500 rounds and a sling.

Read, pick and choose what fits your situation best:

http://www.equipped.com/survlkit.htm#COMPMEDKIT

Oh, some good bags I've found over time.

Best Bang for the Buck: http://www.lapolicegear.com/lapg-bailout-bag.html

Good larger option, its all about the pockets: http://www.lapolicegear.com/jumbo-bailout-bag.html

And my favorite that I cannot get for over a year backorder, quality is killer, was $40, have seen what amounts to the same bag on Blackhawk in the $150 zone:

http://countycomm.com/bobxl.html

Those might be good truck bags, but IMO for a real B.O.B. it should be a backpack(with shoulder straps) that way your hands are free to carry a weapon or whatever else.

Those might be good truck bags, but IMO for a real B.O.B. it should be a backpack(with shoulder straps) that way your hands are free to carry a weapon or whatever else.

True, and all dependent on the situation. Backpack for 72 hours depending on weather. Than there is the 2 week scenario. With bags packed, can hole up in home if need be, or take the 4x4 on back roads and hit the hills, fields, riverlines, depending on where you live.

Forget about PA, if real SHTF in NJ, all choke points will be covered. All bridges, major road and highway ramps covered. Not gonna be much travel gonna happen besides "turn around". NJ life depends on where you live. Though in a town, I'm 5 minutes by truck from farmland, greenland, mountain lines, pipelines and tension wires while avoiding any main roads.

Agree.

There are 8.5MM people in NJ and another 12MM in NYC and LI.

If real SHTF, PA cannot and will not allow 20MM refugees to overwhelm their resources. I guarantee you that the PA National Guard will shut down all the DE River bridges.

If real SHTFin NJ, your choices will be to head to a FEMA concentration camp like Fort Dix, take refuge in the country side, or shelter in place.

If you're looking for a good relatively inexpensive bag to start a kit I can't say enough good things about this company. I've had this bag for a year and a half and use it every day for work to carry my gear. Not sure on the weight in it, but it's usually packed so much it would bust at the seams if it wasn't constructed as well as it is.

http://www.dragogear...backpack-1.html

If real SHTF, PA cannot and will not allow 20MM refugees to overwhelm their resources. I guarantee you that the PA National Guard will shut down all the DE River bridges.

I've heard this a number of times and I'm sure it's true. Now I'm no geography whiz, but couldn't one head north in the event of an emergency to the vastness of New York State and beyond?

Having said that, I'm having a difficult time imagining a scenario where I would not shelter in place in my suburban neighborhood.

Sorry for taking the thread on a slight detour.

It would take a serious natural disaster or pandemic for me to bug out. Zombies, gangs, etc., will be dealt with accordingly with myself and good neighbors. As a neighborhood, we are good to go and would be hard pressed to find a better group to hunker down with.

I spent a significant amount of time choosing my home's location to minimize threats and vulnerabilities. Reservoirs and lakes nearby are a good thing as are several cords of fire wood in reserve. A forest fire is the main thing that would have me leave. An even with that, I have a nice clear cut area around my house. But 1400' heat and no oxygen are hard to get around.

Back on point here...Having 6 people in my family certainly complicates things. I have a pre-packed packs for everyone in my family which contain most of the common items already discussed. Plus supportive bags / buckets.

• Field kitchen bucket, several food buckets (canned chicken, tuna, pasta, MRE entrees only)
  • Shelter bag (various tarps, cord, stakes)
  • Water, and water purification items.
  • Hand tool bag at the ready as well, saws, hammers, adjustable wrenches, pry bars, hatchets, medium sized bolt cutter, and other things.
  • Big First aid kit
  • Firearms bag at the ready. Firearms...shotgun, AR, Sig P229 with three barrels (40 / 357 Sig / 9mm conversion) and a Ruger LCP. A few boxes of slugs, 00 and 7.5 shot, a few hundred rounds of 223 and 40. The LCP only gets 3 mags...last resort weapon which all fit nicely into one LA Police gear range bag.

Everyone needs to carry their backpack, plus a supportive bucket/pail and sleeping bag.

The idea is I can scale up or scale down as needed. All my Bug Out gear is towards the front of my garage so I can back the Suburban 2500 up to the door and within few minutes fill it and go to location B...C...D.

Water and sleeping bags take up a huge amounts of space. 3 days of water for us is 18 gallons. I only pack 10 gallons and have several 2.5g collapsible jugs to fill on the fly. I have our sleeping bags in "water resistant" bags. Ideally I need to get a soft roof top carrier to throw those bulky items in.

FWIW - There have been a couple of times in dry summers, where the car was already backed up with doors open when I saw white smoke coming from the State Forest behind me.

Another tip...I tend to avoid the uber tactical backpacks. Less attention is a good thing. Mostly 'earth tones' for my gear which can be modified with some spray cans if need be.

Gas Cans... I tend to keep 4 to 5 five gallon cans filled in my back shed. They are numbered (Anal Retentive I know) and have StaBil added. Getting a whooping 10 mpg is a real downer. But having a 40gal tank helps with distance.

Almost forgot - Invest in a couple of those old lady wire shopping carts. You'd be surprised at how handy they are. They fold flat and have endless amount of uses.

Wojo,

I like your style!

Again, sorry for derail, but my main concern is travel... not just over rivers .. out of your towns.

Natural, manmade or government made SHTF scenario, all movement will stop once martial law is in place.

The TSA has been very busy lately and expanded bigtime, and I'm betting its not for keeping the roads clear :)

So prep falls back to location, location, location. I prep for the closest place to hide and coverup, home first. 4X4 second. The deeper into off road I can get, the better.

Okay, sharing time. A couple of pictures of my discrete weapon bag and a comparison to my Computer / Messenger Bag. And for a bonus picture on my lunacy, my tacti-cycle. A Kawasaki KLR 650 with many extra goodies in case I have to get off the beaten path solo. In this picture, I have a weeks worth of food, a tent, two rifles (bolt / AR), ammo of course and two gallons of water.

511bagAR.jpg

Comparison in bag size

511bags.jpg

Bug Out Bike!!!

KLRPacked.jpg

Okay, sharing time. A couple of pictures of my discrete weapon bag and a comparison to my Computer / Messenger Bag. And for a bonus picture on my lunacy, my tacti-cycle. A Kawasaki KLR 650 with many extra goodies in case I have to get off the beaten path solo. In this picture, I have a weeks worth of food, a tent, two rifles (bolt / AR), ammo of course and two gallons of water.

511bagAR.jpg

Comparison in bag size

511bags.jpg

Bug Out Bike!!!

KLRPacked.jpg

I have to say, for a single person, that bike may be the ultimate answer! It is perfect aside the family.

Considering that I live on a peninsula in the most-densely populated county in the most-densely populated state, just seven miles from Manhattan, the idea of being able to bug-out due to any scenario is laughable,IMO. We'll just lock 'n load here in the homestead and unleash the hounds of hell on any transgressors, LOL