LibertyOrDeath

Whats in your Bug*Out*Bag (B*B)

Not sure if this thread has been brought up before, so bare with me? Just added a couple of

new small things to the B*B and gotta new 3Day ACU pack comin in to downsize a little bit.

My question is, What are some of your primary choices in the basics? Food,Water filtration,Shelter,

First Aid, Signaling? Tools and Survival if your really Prepped? If I can get enough feedback from this

thread I'll post some pics and description of my gear.

Im talking about natural disaster, emergency evacuation and or Societal breakdown type B*B. By definition its suppose to support and maintain one or several individuals for a period of upto 72hrs. The average weight can vary from 5 to 30lbs and if packed correctly sustain an individual for 72 weeks in an off the grid survival type incident.

@ Ray, I figured that be All you need....

There were several threads on BOB's but we're in the season of hurricane ,blackouts, floods and according to some "The Zombie Apocalypse"so perhaps an updated thread is warranted.

I keep a LAPG bail out bag ready to go with some of the items needed for a urban/ suburban 72 hour survival scenario.

$150.00 in small bills and quarters.

Thumb drive with passport ,visas,prescription,Insurance,driver's,living will,FID,P2P,credit card and basic information scanned.

Extra prescriptions.

Basic toiletries.

Travel burner.

BIC Lighters and firestarter.

Metal water bottles.

Water purification system and tablets.

Leatherman multi tool.

Fixed blade.

Small fishing kit.

Compass.

Thermal blankets.

Water tite storage bags.

Plastic tarp.

First Aid kit.

Batteries.

3 days of freeze dried emergency rations.

Head lights,flashlight,florescent sticks.

Crank shortwave radio and charger.

Extra storage IPhone batteries.

Hip flask of cognac.

Slim Jims,energy bars,Jolly ranchers.

2 mini road flares.

Duct tape,zip ties,parachute cord.

SAS survival guide, map of Middlesex county.

2 way radios with a 10 mile radius.

I keep my range bag ready to go so all I have to do is load my hand guns if necessary,2 10 gallon Jerry cans of petrol in the garage with stabilizer added, 2 gallon containers of drinking water and basic tools along with a charged jump pack.

The wife's ride is a proven 4wd and we're ready to go.

Here is what I have so far. Here is a list and pic of most of my items.

1. First Aid Kit

2. Medical Scissors

3. Hand sanitizer ( Can be used to start fire)

4. Water proof matches

5. Magnesium Block

6. Lighter

7. Water pure tablet

8. Canteen

9. Para Cord

10. CRKT Eat N Tool

11. Utility Blanket

12. Collapsible shovel

13. MRE ( I have More)

14. Socks

15. Travel Size Tooth Paste

16. Travel Size Tooth Brush

17. Wet Naps

18. Gold Bonds Powder

19. Energizer Hard Case Flashlight

20. Streamlight Micro Stream

21. Gerber Multi Tool

22. SOG Seal Pup

23. Gun Oil

24. 9mm ammo

25. Glock 19 ( Should The Shit Really Hit The Fan)

Surprisingly the Hazard 4 Plan B Evac Bag holds everything with room to spare. I like to keep most of the Items in zip lock bags.

I would really like to get a Ruger 10/22 take down rifle to go in the bag, The Henry Survival Rifle is also nice, But A Kel Tec Sub2k would be awesome if I could find one.

DSCF7055.jpg

111_0739.jpg

Im talking about natural disaster, emergency evacuation and or Societal breakdown type B*B. By definition its suppose to support and maintain one or several individuals for a period of upto 72hrs. The average weight can vary from 5 to 30lbs and if packed correctly sustain an individual for 72 weeks in an off the grid survival type incident.

@ Ray, I figured that be All you need....

I don't have a bug out bag. There are enough supplies at home for 72 hours. Actually, a lot longer than that. If I needed to evacuate, I'd pack my car. If I can't take my car then where would I go with my bag? I can't get that far from my house to make it worthwhile if I have to walk. I'd just be in front of someone else's house.

People seem to pack way more first aid and self defense stuff than food and water. Why would you need shelter? Who is living in all the houses?

I guess I'm not understanding the philosophy.

I have the same bag as Jeremy, but it's basically set up for in case I'm stuck at work or on the road.

These bags are great! They have a larger model out as well. So if you like the bag but think its a little small. They have the larger one now,

I don't have a bug out bag. There are enough supplies at home for 72 hours. Actually, a lot longer than that. If I needed to evacuate, I'd pack my car. If I can't take my car then where would I go with my bag? I can't get that far from my house to make it worthwhile if I have to walk. I'd just be in front of someone else's house.

People seem to pack way more first aid and self defense stuff than food and water. Why would you need shelter? Who is living in all the houses?

I guess I'm not understanding the philosophy.

Let me explain.... we like to accumulate "stuff" especially if we can justify an additional cool black bag or back pack in the event that we may have a 1 in 50k chance of needing 1/10'th of what's inside some fateful day. It's apparently a "Guy" thing, like buying that obscure tool at the local Sears because Someday!!!Someday!!! we're going to buy and restore that 69 Corvair and the tappets needs adjusting.

Well we buy,catalog,inventory and photograph our "stuff" because if that day comes where we actually do need it, we will hoop and holler and just might pass you on the side of the road without your "stuff" and feel vaguely superior. Understand?

These bags are great! They have a larger model out as well. So if you like the bag but think its a little small. They have the larger one now,

Is it out yet? i seen the video for it

Duppie: so this is more of a fun thing than a necessary thing? I definitely see where you're coming from. I've been thinking about this a lot lately, and I'm getting a great idea of what to put in it from this thread.

Well yeah...I try not to get all doomsday scenario about it but most agencies that deal with the aftermath of a disaster,natural or otherwise urges you to have one.

I grew up in Hurricane and earthquake country and we always had a rudimentary BOB and supplies.

Nothin my plan is to shoot you and steal urs.... Lol

I would think twice about this group....they're liable to shoot back.

I have a BOB, but it doesn't include firearms. I think that in any situation that we are likely to encounter, there will still be rule of law.

My bag is filled with food and water, matches, bandages and medicines. But it also has phone chargers, a paper list of phone numbers, some crayons, paper and little toys for the kids, as well as prescription medicines and extra glasses. It's more of a bag to grab and go with if our neighborhood was ever evacuated because of a chemical spill or power outage or something. I also have some family pictures - not for sentimental reasons, but because we may need to give one to a reporter to show on the news because of a lost child.

There is also some underwear for me, my wife, the kids. And tampons, a radio, flashlights and batteries.

I also have a few hundred dollars in cash in small bills because the power is out, there will be no access to ATMs. The money and bag is enough to get us to PA where my sister in law lives. The small bills are because if you need to buy food, water or gasoline and you only have a $20. That food, water or gasoline is going to cost $20.

If I'm ever in a "bug out" situation that requires a firearm... I don't see a 3 day pack being any good. We will still be subject to NJ laws. Although that new Ruger Takedown 10/22 probably isn't a bad idea. At least that is legal to have on your person with no specified destination.

Now if we are ever talking about a "Contagion" situation, that may be different, but the odds of having to leave because of a fire or a terrorist attack that blows up some chemical plant are a lot greater.

Yeah, But having something is better then not having anything. I would take a firearm if it was a serious SHTF situation where the chances of running into people who think they can just take other peoples stuff is increased. I would assume all the police would be busy with the situation at hand.

Where the hell am I gonna bug out to?

I agree. I have contemplated what would likely occur in the event of major natural disaster. There is no place to go. There are 16MM people in NYC and Long Island, and another 8.5MM in NJ. You are naive if you think PA is going to allow 24MM people to cross the bridges into PA. There will be National Guard barricades in place at all the Delaware River crossings.

Not trying to be a bummer; but IMHO, unless we have advanced warning, our options will be to shelter in place or head to the FEMA concentration camp at Fort Dix.

I am set up for (1) shelter in place and (2) evacuate by car (if we get advanced warning).

ETA:

I am prepared for a local disaster that renders bugging-in impossible. I have a fanny pack full of immediate survival gear like a knife, water purification, sewing kit, primitive first aid, flashlight, glow stick, matches, etc., for each family member. I also have 72 hours of food and water for 4 people in 4 backpacks. But that is just for local disasters. Anything regional will require hunkering down in place.

Edited by TheDon

I agree. I have contemplated what would likely occur in the event of major natural disaster. There is no place to go. There are 16MM people in NYC and Long Island, and another 8.5MM in NJ. You are naive if you think PA is going to allow 24MM people to cross the bridges into PA. There will be National Guard barricades in place at all the Delaware River crossings.

Not trying to be a bummer; but IMHO, unless we have advanced warning, our options will be to shelter in place or head to the FEMA concentration camp at Fort Dix.

I am set up for (1) shelter in place and (2) evacuate by car (if we get advanced warning).

Seriously... This is my thinking most of the time. I don't know anyone in PA that would be willing to take us in. I'd rather stick it out at home and hope my neighbors stay in place.

I have a BOB but honestly, now that we are in the house, i think my main thing will be to stock up on supplies for Bugging IN rather than out. Much more likely think to happen would be to hunker down for a while. Food/water/protection if thats the case.

My BOB is pretty simple and includes most of the stuff listed above but can def use some more stuff and honestly, a better bag to put it all in (just using a simple hiking backpack right now)

I would like to stock some gas (something i need to research, im assuming you need something to keep it from going bad...) and invest in a 4x4 vehicle (mostly for winter and trips to lowes/homedepot but also JUST IN CASE).

What i do want to do ASAP is piece together a better AT HOME 1st aid kit and small emergency bags for each of our vehicles (almost like a mini 72hr bag)....