SgtToadette

Criminals and the Guns They Carry

Ran across this piece on another forum and thought you guys might enjoy the read. It's not particularly scientific, but it offers a glimpse into the world of "criminal-grade" firearms.

I found it especially entertaining that several of the guns that actually functioned were not loaded with the proper ammunition, and several more would encounter a failure within the first 3 rounds fired. It all goes to show that the AWB was a feel good measure.

Enjoy!

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/ccm-columns/features/criminals-and-the-guns-they-carry/

That's a pretty interesting read - not at all surprising that the majority of weapons seized were either completely broken or prone to malfunction within the first 3 rounds. Also not surprising to see a good number had mismatched ammo and magazines.

If you're stupid enough to commit a violent crime I bet you're also not too concerned with proper gun care.

It may be interesting to connect the type of crime with the involved weapon. I'm thinking the .22 rifles (for example) may have been seized not because they were involved in a criminal event but came into police possession due to a domestic incident or similar. Still an interesting article.

Good read.

During a class in Newark, the LEO's brought out a bunch of firearms that were used in recent crimes. The majority were in such disrepair, I wouldn't shoot them period. Unsafe was an understatement. They had a Marlin 336 that had a Duct Tape stock...nice. Lots of KelTec's though.

Good info. Thanks for posting it.

In the article, the author mentions studying criminal behavior, for example what strategies they use to ambush people, what ruses they use to get close enough, etc. I would like to find out more about that.

Good read.

During a class in Newark, the LEO's brought out a bunch of firearms that were used in recent crimes. The majority were in such disrepair, I wouldn't shoot them period. Unsafe was an understatement. They had a Marlin 336 that had a Duct Tape stock...nice. Lots of KelTec's though.

So that's where all the KSG's are going.... ;)

Good info. Thanks for posting it.

In the article, the author mentions studying criminal behavior, for example what strategies they use to ambush people, what ruses they use to get close enough, etc. I would like to find out more about that.

Read the book, "The Gift of Fear" by Gavin DeBecker. Best defensive reading ever.

Thanks, so now I know if I'm going to be shot in Newark, there is only a 48% chance of getting hit.

Actually the statistics don't take into account the bad aim of most criminals. I would place a 50% multiplier on that statistic and say you only have a 24% chance of actually getting hit...

I was thinking about this thread over the weekend, and I just can't help but poke holes in the reliability of the statistics. These are numbers collected from guns used by criminals THAT WERE CAUGHT. I think the results are skewed because of this for one simple reason...being caught could easily be connected with their lack of intelligence, and their lack of intelligence likely also played a role in the lack of gun knowledge and maintenance. It's not a proper representation of all guns used in crimes, just the guns of those who were caught. Unfortunately it's impossible to collect accurate data, so this is roughly the best data we can get.

I don't remember where exactly I heard this, but I believe .22lr is the round that kills the most people each year. I presume this is due to it's low cost and the availability of cheap firearms chambered for the round. But I do agree that this is hardly a scientific article as I'm sure well funded gangs will have better weaponry than your average run-of-the-mill criminal looking to make a few bucks.

I was thinking about this thread over the weekend, and I just can't help but poke holes in the reliability of the statistics. These are numbers collected from guns used by criminals THAT WERE CAUGHT. I think the results are skewed because of this for one simple reason...being caught could easily be connected with their lack of intelligence, and their lack of intelligence likely also played a role in the lack of gun knowledge and maintenance. It's not a proper representation of all guns used in crimes, just the guns of those who were caught. Unfortunately it's impossible to collect accurate data, so this is roughly the best data we can get.

It is also a function of poverty and destitution . The higher level drug dealers and gang bangers , well compensated by their criminal activity , have better functioning guns , I'm sure. It is the street urchin trying to mug somebody or rob a liquor store that buys a defunct clapped out gun with whatever pittance he can scrounge up .

Supposition on my part , but I'm sure they get brought in by the police more often than the more insulated higher level criminals.

I'm sure well funded gangs will have better weaponry than your average run-of-the-mill criminal looking to make a few bucks.

Your right on the money. There was an incident earlier this year and the perps were using squad tactics to corner, issolate and kill an individual. They had modern AK's and shot in controlled bursts......very disturbing.

good post vjf