siderman

gun oil-again

Pneumatic tool lubricating fluid-aka oil. I dont know why I didnt think of it or read about it but as I was putting away some of my nail guns I held the big jug of Bostitch oil made specifically for air tools and wondered why wouldnt this be a great gun lube. Its certainly made to take a beating and is "pure" enough so not to fug up any O rings. Not to clean but anyone use it for lubing? Any thoughts why not?

It's a very light viscosity oil meant to counteract the effects of moisture in the pressurized air and keep the piston O-ring(s) lubed on your air nailers.

There are a lot more moving, and critical, parts in a firearm. More importantly, a lot more metal-to-metal contact.

That said, it probably wouldn't hurt... but I'll stick w. stuff made for firearms.

I personally think it is a little too thin to use in a semi auto. I feel with the heat want constant action it would wear out fast. Good thing is its non detergent oil, witch is good for no carbon build up. I use seafoam deep creep on my guns. Like wd40 on roids

Does no one use a gun oil like CLP which is made for guns? Forty+ years ago I used LSA in some truly nasty conditions and never had a problem. Now I use CLP where oil is required and Tetra grease where grease is required and have no problems. Why does everyone feel the need to reinvent the wheel?

I've had good experience with this... http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Ultima-Lube-II-Oil-2-oz-Bottle/productinfo/577-2/

also this : http://e-sarcoinc.com/search.aspx?find=oil006

and yeah this.... http://3inone.com/ (suggested to me)

Nick I second you on the Wilson oil I bought for my 1911 bit I use it on all my Guns now

Does no one use a gun oil like CLP which is made for guns? Forty+ years ago I used LSA in some truly nasty conditions and never had a problem. Now I use CLP where oil is required and Tetra grease where grease is required and have no problems. Why does everyone feel the need to reinvent the wheel?

because as time goes by, better things are developed.

No reinvention here... I also like Tetra grease where required. I have several thousand rounds through a few AR's and have never found the need to use anything other than hops gun oil in the orange squeeze bottle. If you clean em rite you dont need anything else.

Ken

+1

My lil brother did a stint in the army and he got me hooked in militec gun oil, anyways a lot of people in other forums use motor oils and other things to lube in the end it's kinda for use all the same in terms of lubrication