Luke_WO

Need a Good Flashlight

All right, so I've been meaning to ask this anyway, but with the storm coming next week, it's even more relevant now.

Been without a good flashlight for a while now. I use my iPhone flashlight app in a pinch, but I need a legit one with a strong beam, like the ones you see on TV when the cops are scouring the empty warehouse for the bad guy.

I don't want a big bulky one, I'd rather have one I can easily handle with one hand. Like I said, I'm interested in a strong beam, and also battery life and durability.

So anyone that loves their flashlight at home or work, I'm all ears. Thanks guys.

If you're using it for working or when the power goes out, to run outside to start up the generator and other stuff that you need a 'hands free' flashlight for, buy a headlamp. I would suggest buying a few actually. Petzl and Princeton Tec both make great headlamps, and most of them take AA or AAA.

If you prefer a handheld flashlight, Surefire and Streamlight both offer very durable and reliable (and very bright) flashlights. From what I've seen, almost all take CR123A's. They are a little expensive at about $1 per piece, but they have a long shelf life. The bad thing is they can't be found everywhere.

I'd suggest getting one of those and buying bulk CR123a's. I'd also suggest getting a good flashlight that takes generic AA or AAA's. Check out 5.11 tactical lights, I bought one about 8 months ago and I work construction and trade-type jobs and have beat mine up and it has really put up well. It's very bright and it's the size of a pen...I believe it's the model 'PLX'. I plan on getting another one soon which will be the 'A2' because I enjoy my PLX so much.

Maglite's have been around forever, but compared to newer flashlight technology, they are considered old-school nowadays.

Flashlights that are 1/5th the size, 1/5th the weight, and have smaller bulbs (LED's) have now pushed the Maglite aside.

Why carry an incadescent-bulb 3lb Maglite around when you can carry a pen-sized LED flashlight that weighs a couple ounces and is 50 times brighter?

If you're using it for working or when the power goes out, to run outside to start up the generator and other stuff that you need a 'hands free' flashlight for, buy a headlamp. I would suggest buying a few actually. Petzl and Princeton Tec both make great headlamps, and most of them take AA or AAA.

If you prefer a handheld flashlight, Surefire and Streamlight both offer very durable and reliable (and very bright) flashlights. From what I've seen, almost all take CR123A's. They are a little expensive at about $1 per piece, but they have a long shelf life. The bad thing is they can't be found everywhere.

I'd suggest getting one of those and buying bulk CR123a's. I'd also suggest getting a good flashlight that takes generic AA or AAA's. Check out 5.11 tactical lights, I bought one about 8 months ago and I work construction and trade-type jobs and have beat mine up and it has really put up well. It's very bright and it's the size of a pen...I believe it's the model 'PLX'. I plan on getting another one soon which will be the 'A2' because I enjoy my PLX so much.

I agree on the headlight suggestion. They are great as they free up your hands and if you get a good one, they are pretty damn bright. I use the one I have all the time for hunting, for work around the house where I need light, outdoors (hiking/backpacking, camping), and etc... Here's the one I use and think it's great (I have the black colored one): http://www.petzl.com/us/outdoor/headlamp/universal/tikka-xp

I have mag lights surefires with sf123 batteries and I have a eurica nightguide 210 from campmor in nj for under 50 bucks and it blows them all away. You have to buy batteries anyway. You should go with the sf123 batteries. get them on ebay they last longer and are more powerful.

Nothing beats a Maglite. Them babies be impervious.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Maglite suck. the only maglite I like is the one I had modded to push more light. Prior to maglite doing a led upgrade, I sent one out to a buddy who put in a led, made a counter sink etc.. The 4c throws a lot of light and far better than a 4d maglite.

The streamlight Strion LED rechargeable is one of my favorites. I carry Streamlight, Pelican and now Coast products at my store. Pm me if you have any questions.

where is your store? I need some stream light stuff. Would buy from a member if it's possible.

I have a sweet spot in my heart for mag-lites, but the old style ones cant compare in terms of lighting technology. The new LED mags are pretty good, and really durable. I bought an XL50 from Lowes and am loving it. Its pretty small, and really bright. Has 3 AAA's. I use it for finding addresses when delivering pizza. I like the CR123 Game too.. but it sucks when you run out and have to pay a million dollars for a pair.

http://www.maglite.com/maglite_xl50_led.asp

I have some Olights and although they have never completely failed they have gone temporarily flaky after being dropped and flake out when the batteries get low. Instead of reliably signaling impending battery failure like they are supposed to.

They certainly kick ass they just kick slightly less ass in my book.

They also seem to suffer from battery surface corrosion more than other high end lights. That's when the battery gets weak because of a combination of reduced power and also micro corrosion on the battery contacts. Normally addressed by rubbing the battery contacts against your clothing for several seconds. But the type of contacts on the instrument using the battery can affect this effect to some extent.

I use a streamlight strion led. I use it for everything and it last for a long time. 3 months after the first charge i decided to charge it. I used constantly and it never failed. Best part is it came with a car charger so even if you need to recharge and ur power is out u can charge it in ur car..

Fenix lights are great lights at a fraction of the price of Surefire. And there are rechargeable 123 batteries available. I have been using them for 5+ yrs without any problems.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Second on the Fenix lights, they seem pretty good so far. I carry their model PD32 as my EDC for the last six months. Worth a look if price is part of your consideration. If not, I think Surefire or Streamlight are can't miss...

I've had a couple of Maglites die on me. Love my Surefire G2, but CR123s can be pricey. I'd go with a Streamlight that uses AAs, very good lights.

If you still have em.. send them back, they will fix or replace them for free.. I've done it a few times over the years.

One or two, they rebuilt for free.

I had some batteries explode/expand in one, and i was expecting a not-worth it process with duracell.. and mag took care of it.. and just sent me a brand new flashlight!

The old style lights are old technology but they are quality built and they stand behind their products.

Also easy to "over-clock" so to speak!

If you still have em.. send them back, they will fix or replace them for free.. I've done it a few times over the years.One or two, they rebuilt for free.I had some batteries explode/expand in one, and i was expecting a not-worth it process with duracell.. and mag took care of it.. and just sent me a brand new flashlight!The old style lights are old technology but they are quality built and they stand behind their products.Also easy to "over-clock" so to speak!
Yup. They stand behind their product, which is why a Mag is my go-to light. I use LED and some other mini-type lights, too. But for durability nothing beats a Maglite in my experience. The three I have are at least 15 yrs old and have been dropped down flights of stairs; dropped off the roof; submerged in water and kept working. Besides,  they make a hell of a bludgeon if things go sideways.Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Let me do a little run off about what I've learned about flashlights.

The job of a flashlight is to provide illumination from a typically hand-held device. You're going to have three factors that come together to serve that function:

• Your power source
  • Your "bulb"
  • Your reflector

I'll describe each of these components and how they relate to different purposes.

Your power source:

All lights needs some form of electricity to power them and for a hand-held application, you're going to need something portable. Like a battery. Most flashlights use these four different batteries: AAA, AA, CR123, and rechargeable.

AAAs are typically used to power small lights with thin diameters. For reference, I'll use the FourSevens Preon series. These lights are about the size of a pen and are consequently super convienient. The Preon 2 puts out a very impressive 160 lumens.

AAs are most common in cheap, Walmart-grade lights. There are, however, some great exceptions to that rule. I've been carrying around the Foursevens Quark AA2 (now designated as the Quark Pro QP2A-X), which puts out 280 lumens. These are the most common batteries on earth. I recommend a light using a AA when you're concerned about long-term emergency lighting.

CR123s are going to be found in your "tactical" offerings. They are simply a better power source for lighting purposes. They can pump out more juice for the light to take advantage of. The Surefire P2X Fury can throw out 500 lumens, almost double that of the AA. Because these are more purpose built, they are not a common household battery. When your supply runs out, you're done.

Rechargeable batteries have two big pluses: Economy and Output. So long as you have a stable power source, you'll have a powerful light. The highest output lights on the market use rechargeable batteries because as good as the CR123 is, it can only go so far. The FourSevens Maelstrom MMU, as an example, throws out 800 lumens. If you expect to be in a situation where you're not going to have access to a power outlet for an extended period of time, these are not ideal.

Your "Bulb":

I put bulb in quotes because LEDs are not technically bulbs, but they serve the same purpose.

Brighter is better. Xenon is a technology that had it's time, but is pretty-much inferior in all ways to new technology.

LEDs (Light Emitting Diodes) are the current best technology. They are highly shock resistant and are becoming more and more powerful each year. They also have ridiculous life-spans. You will need to buy a new light before you need to replace the LED. You'll see that some lights will have identical LEDs, but have different outputs. This is because the light emitted is based off the amount of juice being pumped through it. That's why you're seeing higher outputs with higher voltage batteries.

Your Reflector:

There are two main kinds of reflectors on the market: Smooth and Textured.

Rather than wasting time trying to explain the difference, here's a picture I shamelessly stole:

dsc03894smalleo2.jpg

Reflectors, put simply, take the light being produced by your emitter-battery combo and distributes that. Smooth reflectors have narrow, more focused beams while textured reflectors spread that light out. Neither is better than the other, they simply serves different functions. Most people will look for smooth reflectors on weapon lights because they are more effective at distance. On the other hand, textured reflectors are better for daily tasks and area illumination. Here's another picture I shamelessly stole to demonstrate the difference:

Aspsst50vsw300sst901.jpg

So, if I read your initial request correctly, here's what you're looking for in a light:

• Weather-proof
  • Strong Beam
  • For use in an emergency

Here's what I'd recommend based on that criteria. If you're looking for a storm light, you're not going to be concerned too much with light weight. You just want it to fit in your hand. You used the phrase "strong beam" which would initially lead me to recommend something with a smooth reflector, however it seems like you're wanting to use it more for searching and close-range tasks. For those purposes, the textured beam will serve you better. Lastly, you're looking to have it around for an emergency situation, likely one with no power. For that, you can't beat the AA battery. It's everywhere and has high-performance lithium options readily and locally available.

The FourSevens Quark Pro QP2A-X. Costs $65.00.

image-fsv-fsqxaa-2_tailcap.jpg

*Sorry for the long post. I was bored. Very bored.*

If you still have em.. send them back, they will fix or replace them for free.. I've done it a few times over the years.

One or two, they rebuilt for free.

I had some batteries explode/expand in one, and i was expecting a not-worth it process with duracell.. and mag took care of it.. and just sent me a brand new flashlight!

The old style lights are old technology but they are quality built and they stand behind their products.

Also easy to "over-clock" so to speak!

Thanks for the tip! I still have one of them, so I'll send it back.

Can never have too many flashlights...