Kaiser7

So if you could only pick one, Levergun or bolt action?

I'm sort of bored, and I was kind of curious what people would prefer if they could only pick either of these two repeating manual-action rifles.

Now to qualify it, you can pick whatever model of either of those actions you want. Now, I know they have probably developed bolt action rifles in modern times that are far superior than leverguns, so I wasn't sure if I should exclude some of the newer ones, like the R700, or perhaps newer tactical bolt actions.

Given the choice, I'm not sure which I would prefer. Though my bolt action of choice would be the K98k, there is something to be said for the higher capacity and rate of fire of something like the Winchester 94. But, I would imagine stripper clips would allow the K98k to be reloaded faster anyway, and it would likely be more accurate and have a more potent round...

Anyway, what would you guys prefer if you could only pick one style?

I like both but if I had to reduce my collection and could only keep one, it would be a bolt action. If I had to choose a specific gun from my existing collection, it would be my 1917 Enfield, Eddystone. I can cycle the bolt quickly, shoot accurately and with the bayonette on the end, it's the size of a spear.

I've always been enamored with the lever action but have never shot one . I shot bolt action 22's as a kid at summer Bible camp and loved it . I'm just getting started in this "hobby" and really want a lever action . Don't have anything yet but I'm getting close to a purchase .

I've always been enamored with the lever action but have never shot one . I shot bolt action 22's as a kid at summer Bible camp and loved it . I'm just getting started in this "hobby" and really want a lever action . Don't have anything yet but I'm getting close to a purchase .

Really depends on what you want, both are really good.

That's my reasoning with going with a K98k, Accurate, powerful, I can cycle it quickly, and the bayonet is sweet on it. I also like the sights.

I have two lever actions and three bolt actions and like both. But if I had to pick one, I'd go with the lever action but I will say I've got a thing for them since I remember watching westerns growing up and seeing them all use the levers and been enamored with them ever since. So you could say I'm a bit biased in my opinion...

If you are dead-set on a Mauser, or Mauser-style design, the K98, while rugged and a good choice, is crude compared to a post-war FN Mauser, Springfield or a pre-64 Winchester M70 action.

Ditto for the traditional lever-actions when comparing designs like WInchester's or Marlin's against more modern designs that handle high-pressure cartridges loaded with spitzer-type bullets. The Savage 99, Win. M88, Sako Finnwolf and Browning BLR all fall into that "modern" category and offer advantages over the 94 and 336 designs.

Both bolt and lever-action have their strengths and weaknesses. The key question is: What are you using them for?

And why did you omit another manually-operated arm? The pump-action rifles made by Remington; the 760/6/7600?

Me? I would pick a style that suits the situation, or maybe a variety of situations.

Bolt gun. Why? Because you are limited to round nose ammo in a tublar feed magazine on a Lever Action. I've owned a Marlin 336 for 25 years and love it, but am limited on ammo / bullet choices.

However, the Lever Gun is faster for follow up shots. Most bolt users will break off the shoulder when chambering the next round because you don't want your nose kissing the bolt.

I didn't include pump-rifles because honestly, I didn't even think about it. For some reason the idea of a pump-rifle just seems weird to me.

I wasn't even aware that there had been advances in leverguns honestly, that's why I handicapped the bolt-rifles, since I figured that they had progressed more than leverguns had.

The Savage 1985/1899/99 have been around for quite a while. Too bad the 99 is no longer made, but there are plenty of used models around. They are gaining in collector status today. http://en.wikipedia....Savage_Model_99

The .250 Savage (or .250-3000) was the first U.S. loaded cartridge to achieve 3,000 fps in a commercial loading. And it was chambered in the Savage, almost a hundred years ago.

Pump action centerfire rifles have been around since Colt released their Lightning model in 1884.

easier to operate in the prone position although I've never tried with a lever action.

The Browning BLR with its 60 degree lever throw would be optimal, vs. Winchester's or Marlin's 90 degree lever throw. The Browning's detachable box magazine is also an added plus, although limited in round capacity.

The only answer is to have one of everything.

The Browning BLR with its 60 degree lever throw would be optimal, vs. Winchester's or Marlin's 90 degree lever throw. The Browning's detachable box magazine is also an added plus, although limited in round capacity.

The only answer is to have one of everything.

The trouble is I can never have just "one" of anything.

My Win .30-30 has never failed to feed ammo, but several of my bolt action rifles have. That's not the greatest sample pool, but if I needed to grab one of my rifles, my 1894 is the most trusted.

Yeah, I really want an 1894, but can't afford one. I was hoping they'd have build kits or something, and I could assemble it myself.

I love leverguns, despite having never shot on, because they're beautiful and I love wild-west stuff, but Between the two, I still lean more towards bolt action. Everything I've heard they're more accurate, more rugged, have more powerful rounds, better range, and can be reloaded faster. Only real drawback is the operation time is likely slower, and reloading would be more frequent.

To me, lever actions have a really high 'awesome' factor. I just find them fun to shoot and cool on the whole.

That said, if it were only possible to have one or the other, I'd have to defer to the boring well roundedness of a bolt action. The practical advantages would ultimately carry more weight than the cool factor IMO.

-If one is looking to shoot long range, the available calibers to do that are generally going to be for a bolt action.

-Not limited to just Hornady Flex-tip for bullets with a point

-Easier to work from prone

-Easier to clean. I can & have disassembled a lever action (marlin 336), but it's just a pain compared to a bolt action

-More common. As cool as lever actions are, you're generally looking at only a handful of models, some of which can be pretty hard to track down.

-Available for literally any budget. Rolling change in your couch just to pay for dinner? -> Mosin Nagant. Money to burn? -> .338 Lapua "tactical" model. With lever guns, I think you're generally looking at around $400 for the most basic Dick's special with a throw away stock.