302w

Was I the only one who wished they could carry during Sandy?

I gotta say, I've never wanted to carry more in my than during this hurricane mess. Thankfully, nothing came my way, but adding in the factors of desperate people, gas lines, no power, and strained police forces everywhere it was definitely an opportunity for....rapscallions. SAT word for you.

I know someone in LI that used some loophole to carry when waiting for gas in line. Apparently you can CCW when traveling to/from exempted places, in his case a gunstore. He went to buy a box of .45 and kept the recipt/ammo on him while in a gas can line somewhere.

I wonder how many normal law abiding people illegally carry guns during situations like these. I don't, but I definitely made sure my guns were good to go in case someone decided to break into my house.

We ditched the house and went to my parents house. Didn't want to waste generator gas running two houses. My wife wasn't too happy when we carried over the valuables and I told her that the guns were staying home. Not worth risking a felony

We ditched the house and went to my parents house. Didn't want to waste generator gas running two houses. My wife wasn't too happy when we carried over the valuables and I told her that the guns were staying home. Not worth risking a felony

So you would rather risk being dead or having life essential systems stolen? Carrying a cased and unloaded long gun isn't illegal..long as you have an FID

So you would rather risk being dead or having life essential systems stolen? Carrying a cased and unloaded long gun isn't illegal..long as you have an FID

. I'm not going to say what was/was not at my parents house. Just that I left my handguns home

I carry my g19 when I go outside to put gas in the genny at night. Otherwise just keep a loaded mag in it and had it close by me most of the time. Also had my Mossberg 590 Ready to go in case I need more fire power.

Kept the S&W shotgun loaded by the bed in my master bedroom and kept my 9mm taurus in my pocket or next to me under a pillow on my sofa by the front door... easy access at all times.. no way to reach 9-1-1 so I figured better safe and ready than unready.

Kept stuff close by in the house at all times. I do that anyway but actually felt more possibility of it being needed. Also coming home from work I left my winter carrier on with the plates in it. JC was real bad and I felt a high probability of running into something. Had my duty and off duty with me. Mostly because I had to change at home. No lights at all in our trailer locker room

Like some others who responded to this thread, I had my pistols and rifles close to me in different places throught my house at all times. No children in our household yet so that wasnt a concern. I did carry when I had to go out at night to refill the generator and work on the outside of the house but I never left the property with it. Definitely made me feel safer since my generator was the only one I could hear in my neighborhood.

How is following the letter of the law risky business?

It is New Jersey. Not every LEO is aware of every law in this state. I have met enough LEOs that believe you have to be going directly to and from a range with long guns.

Nothing against you or any LEOs, but you run the risk of facing a prosecutor.

I'm getting a good laugh at all the "cased and unloaded" carriers. Talk about a security blanket.

Sit in your driver's seat, and have someone startle you. See how long it takes and how involved it is to exit the vehicle, open a rear door/trunk, open the rifle case, grab the rifle, insert the magazine and charge it. And tell me someone couldn't just jump your ass the second you got out of the vehicle, heck I'd be surprised if they wouldn't just clean your clock as you're stepping out.

Maybe then you'll realize what a silly thing you did.

I'm getting a good laugh at all the "cased and unloaded" carriers. Talk about a security blanket.

Sit in your driver's seat, and have someone startle you. See how long it takes and how involved it is to exit the vehicle, open a rear door/trunk, open the rifle case, grab the rifle, insert the magazine and charge it. And tell me someone couldn't just jump your ass the second you got out of the vehicle, heck I'd be surprised if they wouldn't just clean your clock as you're stepping out.

Maybe then you'll realize what a silly thing you did.

Lol.

I don't think anyone was carrying an unloaded long-gun to fend off carjackers.