J1030

Best HG Round For When You Have To Put a Deer Down Humanely

I hate seeing an animal get hit and I hate it even more when they're not killed right away by the impact. It's almost ironic to those who know me since I am not considered an overly sensitive or emotional man when it comes to dealing with the average person. In any event:

Is there a round that's efficient for putting a deer down as quickly as possible? Most LE seem to carry .40 HP around here and from what I've seen, it's not very efficient for that particular task. They usually put one in the chest and it's tough to see it writhe around pretty wildly for what seems to be an eternity. Before I catch any heat for that, I am aware that deer are not LE's first priority in selection of caliber. I'm just curious as to the best round and the best placement for putting one down asap.

i live on a major high way... i have seen about 3 deer shot by my local pd after a car has struck the deer. never once seen them put a round in the chest. always a head shot. That being said if they were to take a head shot or even a upper spine shot any caliber 38 spc should do. a gut or chest shot at close distances with a handgun round, including a hollow point will prove ineffective and make the animal suffer as it needs to bleed out unless by some odd chance they strike the heart or spine and then it shouldnt be as long. maybe your pd needs to be taught how to humanly kill an injured animal. slicing the deers throat would be way faster and less painless then a bullet to the gut with a small handgun round.

just thought you should know form my understanding it is illegal for you to shoot a deer on the side of the road even if it is wounded and suffering. It would suck to lose your firearm rights over a deer. Yes it sucks but the best thing you can do is call the cops and let them take care of it.

just thought you should know form my understanding it is illegal for you to shoot a deer on the side of the road even if it is wounded and suffering. It would suck to lose your firearm rights over a deer. Yes it sucks but the best thing you can do is call the cops and let them take care of it.

Absolutely.

Funny (well, not so funny) deer story. I live in Bridgewater where the deer are like rats in the NYC subway. I've lived in this house for 12 years and have heard/seen at least 15 deer/car accidents near my house.

A few years ago, I was sitting in my home office on the computer when I heard the screeching of tires. I could almost feel the impending "THUD" coming up. Sure enough, another hit deer.

I ran outside to see if anyone had gotten hurt. The driver unassed the scene before I even opened my front door. The doe wasn't so lucky. It was lying in the road w. both front legs broken and bleeding profusely from the mouth. I grabbed it by the scruff of the neck and pulled it off the road to help prevent another accident. Guy across the street calls 911. The deer was flailing about trying to get away, so I put my boot on its head to hold it until the popo arrived.

Just then a middle aged woman in a minivan pulls up and starts screaming at me. "LET IT GO! YOU ASSHOLE!! STOP!!! YOU ARE GOING TO KILL IT!!!!" I calmly explained to her the deer was going to die and the humane thing was to hold it and let the police put it down. "YOU FU+*&NG ASSHOLE! I"M GOING TO HAVE YOU ARRESTED FOR ANIMAL CRUELTY!! YOU ASSHOLE!!!!" All this with 2 kids in the car.

Five Oh pulls up and she gets out of the car and starts screaming at him. "ARREST THIS ASSHOLE FOR ANIMAL CRUELTY!!! HE'S KILLING THE DEER!!!!". Much to the cop's credit, he said, "Ma'am, if you don't want your children to see me shoot this deer, you'd better leave now." :rolleyes:

Funny (well, not so funny) deer story. I live in Bridgewater where the deer are like rats in the NYC subway. I've lived in this house for 12 years and have heard/seen at least 15 deer/car accidents near my house.

A few years ago, I was sitting in my home office on the computer when I heard the screeching of tires. I could almost feel the impending "THUD" coming up. Sure enough, another hit deer.

I ran outside to see if anyone had gotten hurt. The driver unassed the scene before I even opened my front door. The doe wasn't so lucky. It was lying in the road w. both front legs broken and bleeding profusely from the mouth. I grabbed it by the scruff of the neck and pulled it off the road to help prevent another accident. Guy across the street calls 911. The deer was flailing about trying to get away, so I put my boot on its head to hold it until the popo arrived.

Just then a middle aged woman in a minivan pulls up and starts screaming at me. "LET IT GO! YOU ASSHOLE!! STOP!!! YOU ARE GOING TO KILL IT!!!!" I calmly explained to her the deer was going to die and the humane thing was to hold it and let the police put it down. "YOU FU+*&NG ASSHOLE! I"M GOING TO HAVE YOU ARRESTED FOR ANIMAL CRUELTY!! YOU ASSHOLE!!!!" All this with 2 kids in the car.

Five Oh pulls up and she gets out of the car and starts screaming at him. "ARREST THIS ASSHOLE FOR ANIMAL CRUELTY!!! HE'S KILLING THE DEER!!!!". Much to the cop's credit, he said, "Ma'am, if you don't want your children to see me shoot this deer, you'd better leave now." :rolleyes:

A perfect example of why I like animals better than people..

Another reason why I'm more respectful and sensitive to animals than your average person. From my end, it's more of the "oh sh&t" feeling when I see the collision or see the thing suffering. And then there's seeing someone clock one and just keep on driving w/o even making a call. In a perfect world, the thing would be done right then and there, but deer are really rugged. Just got me to thinking about the most effective methods/calibers. To add on to that, I wasn't really sure just how thick a deer's skull was and if a HP would have no issue whatsoever penetrating.

"Another reason why I'm more respectful and sensitive to animals than your average person."

Meaning I tend to have more respect for animals than I do for your average person. I'll prob catch some heat for that, but whatever. Is what it is.

I hate seeing an animal get hit and I hate it even more when they're not killed right away by the impact. It's almost ironic to those who know me since I am not considered an overly sensitive or emotional man when it comes to dealing with the average person. In any event:

Is there a round that's efficient for putting a deer down as quickly as possible? Most LE seem to carry .40 HP around here and from what I've seen, it's not very efficient for that particular task. They usually put one in the chest and it's tough to see it writhe around pretty wildly for what seems to be an eternity. Before I catch any heat for that, I am aware that deer are not LE's first priority in selection of caliber. I'm just curious as to the best round and the best placement for putting one down asap.

A chest shot is not efficient for a quick humane kill. The deer will certainly expire, but it won't be as quickly as one would prefer. A shot to the chest hitting the lungs or heart is certainly a lethal wound that is going to result in blood loss and eventually no oxygen to the brain. Yet a .22 LR into the back of the skull or directly into the ear hole is all you need and it works well. If you are using a large caliber handgun, be sure of your backstop. I don't know many civilians who can legally engage in this action on a deer they've hit.

Anatomy of a deer

deer-anatomy.jpg

Nice Neighbours you have there===

I worked in a slaughterhouse in Lancaster County, Pa. Use a .22 to the head at close range and it will be gone quickly. Also from practical experience, use a Jeep Wrangler at 45 mph and it will do the job. Carry an entrenching tool and fixed blade to be sure. Screw the hippies, let's make chili!!!

AND, how would explain the fact that you have a HG on you at the exact time you have to put a deer down? on your way to/from the range? even then, most towns have discharge laws so you would most likely get in some trouble, but IANAL..

I've got a shirt for that lady:

c5253b94-eddc-4d7b-a2fc-65ae92798e66.png

I know from personal experiance that a corvette at 50mph will A: not be damaged at all when impacting a medium-large sized deer. and B: will not cause any real damage to the deer besides mangled legs.

Its a very sad sight to see a deer trying to get itself off the road with at least 3 broken legs. But ill be dammed if it didn't do it and make its way a solid 20 feel into a corn field. Sate police arrived after about 15-20 minutes (they're literally the SLOWEST responding police in NJ) and when he finally did arrive he walked into the field and shot the deer with his duty handgun. However he failed to warn any of us that he was doing so and we ended up with ringing ears for a couple hours. Head shot had the deer out of its misery instantly.

LOL...OK

Really though do you intend to shoot deer with a HG?

Ha, I see a pattern here. Like my post said....I've seen deer hit and mangled. On only a couple of occasions I've seen the LEO on scene and each time they've fired a round or two from their HG (which tend to be .40 HP), the deer was not dispatched quickly from that. Just out of curiosity I was wondering if a .40 HP was pretty ineffective for dispatching a hurt deer. Also wasn't sure about skull penetration on a deer with a HP round since on both occasions, I saw the LEO place rounds near the heart rather than the head.

AND, how would explain the fact that you have a HG on you at the exact time you have to put a deer down? on your way to/from the range? even then, most towns have discharge laws so you would most likely get in some trouble, but IANAL..

It's a hypothetical...I don't intend on driving with my HG loaded and in a holster just waiting to dispatch deer.

LOL...OK

Really though do you intend to shoot deer with a HG?

Ha, I see a pattern here. Like my post said....I've seen deer hit and mangled and, while I'm not crying, I do feel bad for something that's in bad shape and scared sh^tless. On only a couple of occasions I've seen the LEO on scene and each time they've fired a round or two from their HG (which tend to be .40 HP), the deer was not dispatched very quickly. Just out of curiosity I was wondering if a .40 HP was pretty ineffective for dispatching a hurt deer. Also wasn't sure about skull penetration on a deer with a HP round since on both occasions, I saw the LEO place rounds near the heart rather than the head.

How has this completely hypothetical question gone this far? It is patently illegal for you to dispatch an road hit deer with a handgun in the state of New Jersey.

Depends on what part of NJ you live. Warren County is full of regular people.