JamesC

Just Got the FID Approval Call - What to buy first???

Which Handgun Comes First?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Which handgun should I purchase first?

• M&P 22
    • M&P Pro 9mm
    • Glock 17 9mm
    • Glock 34 9mm
    • 1911 Style .45 cal
    • 2011 Style 9mm

Today is a happy day, Bayonne PD gave me a ring to let me know my FID and 2 P2Ps are ready for pickup today. They'll be in hand and I know just what to do - BUY. BUT, I'm uncertain of what to buy first...

I've wanted a number of guns and have been lusting over oh so many of late. I know that I want a Glock in the safe at some point, and I know I already have the M&P9mm. I'm thinking about an M&P Pro 9, a G17 or G19 (in FDE if possible), some sort of 1911 for kicks... then long guns :-)

Anyone have suggestions?

(Edited to include Poll)

Edited by JamesC

My fun store guy suggested a 22 pistol for our first purchase, and I should have listened to him.

No regrets, but 22 makes a very nice lauching off point.

Beyond that, you really need to determine what purpose the gun will serve, and then buy a gun for that purpose.

You don't build a house base on the tools you have, but rather, design the house, and then get the tools necessary, based on priority. That sort of thing.

Do you plan on shooting IDPA? USPSA? Speed Steel? Home defense?

There are so many different types of guns and they all serve different purposes.

My fun store guy suggested a 22 pistol for our first purchase, and I should have listened to him.

No regrets, but 22 makes a very nice lauching off point.

Beyond that, you really need to determine what purpose the gun will serve, and then buy a gun for that purpose.

You don't build a house base on the tools you have, but rather, design the house, and then get the tools necessary, based on priority. That sort of thing.

Do you plan on shooting IDPA? USPSA? Speed Steel? Home defense?

There are so many different types of guns and they all serve different purposes.

Kings - great point. I'm currently shooting IDPA most often as plan to occasionally shoot USPSA. I'd love to play with the steel stuff at some point. I think the next purchase will likely be a HD type pistol though the idea of getting the M&P 22 is interesting since it would fit my current holsters.

The attraction the to Pro would be a pistol I could use for a division other than SSP and enhance further - magwell, stippling etc. 1911 would be a safe queen I think and would likely live in 9mm if I had a choice.

Thanks for the feedback brother.

Congrats, James! What was the final waiting time?

As for shooters you can't go wrong with a Springfield XDM. I've got the .40 and it's been flawless. If HD/SD (assuming at some point that you get a CC permit through FL/UTAH, etc.), I'd get a Glock 23.

You should have put in for more PP's when you picked up your first two, LOL.

Congrats, James! What was the final waiting time?

As for shooters you can't go wrong with a Springfield XDM. I've got the .40 and it's been flawless. If HD/SD (assuming at some point that you get a CC permit through FL/UTAH, etc.), I'd get a Glock 23.

You should have put in for more PP's when you picked up your first two, LOL.

Final count.... 15 weeks :-( Any chance you want to meet up at the Bayonne Range tonight?

Seeing you want a Glock, I would start out by geting the most I could out of the first permit. A Glock 22 Gen 4 (.40 caliber) with a .22LR after market top (advantage arms) and a 9mm barrel (Lone Wolf) with some 9mm mags. Three cheap calibers out of one platform. At this point you will have USPSA, IDPA, Steel and even OBRAMS covered. Same holster and gear for most of the pistol competitions. Great platform to learn the different disciplines from. Next, a 1911 in 45 ACP, why?, (left field), because (centerfield) nothing compares to this pistol. It must be experienced to understand its compelling addiction. Still by far the best. Then a revolver in 357 mag.

Long guns can be added anytime.

Good luck and safe shooting.

I recommend the Glock 9mm, it is a great shooter, I shoot one about a year or so ago. Another one, the Ruger .22 cal Target pistols , my brother in law has one and it shoots fine. ...And don't overlook the Highpoint .45 acp, inexpensive, never jams... I was going to suggest the 5 shot .38 special by Rossi, it is a good reliable revolver. But you might want to go for the .357 of whatever make you want.

I changed my mind. Go with the M&P22. You're going to want to shoot it all the time when you first get it. .22lr offers lots of practice without breaking the bank for ammo. It's also the easiest to learn proper trigger control with since the recoil is minimal.

Another for xdm'. Own me love me.. Also have 1911 in 9mm and the mp22. I think there are better 22's out there I had to dramatically drift my sights to shoot straight. Others have had better luck. Try one of the Rugers?

Glock or M&P - either is a good first firearm due to price, availability of accessories, the number of other shooters with them already who can help etc.

.22 is a good starting option to focus on technique - but I understand when most people want to jump straight to something bigger.

I shoot several hundred rounds a week - of which 80%+ is .22LR from my Sig P226 handgun while I practice technique, holster draw, sight transition, trigger control etc. It is cheap, fun, and let's you focus on removing the bad habits before they get too ingrained.

You can also shoot several hundred .22LR at a range session and not worry about the cost of the ammunition, it is also still somewhat readily available even with the post-Obama gun-buying frenzy.

TheWombat

Today is a happy day, Bayonne PD gave me a ring to let me know my FID and 2 P2Ps are ready for pickup today. They'll be in hand and I know just what to do - BUY. BUT, I'm uncertain of what to buy first... I've wanted a number of guns and have been lusting over oh so many of late. I know that I want a Glock in the safe at some point, and I know I already have the M&P9mm. I'm thinking about an M&P Pro 9, a G17 or G19 (in FDE if p ossible) , some sort of 1911 for kicks... then long guns :-) Anyone have suggestions? (Edited to include Poll)
Only thing better than a G19 in FDE is a G23 FDE. IMHO. regardless, congrats. I know he's a hike for you but PK90 has it in stock and a very fine selection of other guns in your poll.

Final count.... 15 weeks :-( Any chance you want to meet up at the Bayonne Range tonight?

Sorry, James, just saw this reply. But if you're game, I do believe I'll be heading to the Bayonne range tonight with my neighbor to put some rounds out of his new Glock 23. I'll update later if circumstances change.

Sorry, James, just saw this reply. But if you're game, I do believe I'll be heading to the Bayonne range tonight with my neighbor to put some rounds out of his new Glock 23. I'll update later if circumstances change.

hogluvr will be there too, never met him but just giving you a heads up